Sub 3

Comments

• Mr BoatMr Boat ✭✭✭

MtR: I did the  10 with 5@ HM pace last Tuesday; are you trying to get back a speedier session you missed or have I started on the wrong week? I'm looking at 10 with 10x100m strides tomorrow evening.

Wardi: condolences to you and yours, hope it goes well on Friday.

• TR - looks great, thanks! If you want to come along and show me the way you would be most welcome - probably around 8:30am by the time I get to the bottom of the hill, but you maybe our earlier or with the kids?
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Coro - not sure what time Sundays kick off is yet. most kind offer, but you dont run long runs at my pace, and I wouldnt want to make you. Tom Payne lives over there somewhere he's more your level ! Marigold might be able to do a bit of match making for you.
  • RSalter - thanks for the advice, that's probably what I'll do. I am running London, for the first time, will decide VLM targets nearer the date but would like to get as close to 2.40 as I can and 2011 top target is sub 6 minute pace. Which seems crazy unrealistic but no harm in trying I guess.

Dean - personally I would be happy to run a HM hard 3 weeks before a marathon and did run a 10M hard 2 weeks before my last marathon (which I judged successful) but there are many others here with more experience and running wisdom than me. I have seen a wide variety of opinions on pre-marathon racing on other websites.
  • MtRMtR ✭✭✭

MrB: No, it was me looking at the wrong week! Only 10 miles in 10x100m strides tomorrow, although there is a short club race tomorrow night. Given I did the long run today, I might do 6-7 at lunchtime tomorrow, then the race in the evening for my speed work. Makes it easier work-wise as well.

I did 13 inc 3x2 miles @ 6:26 for my threshold session on Friday to get the session in and to clock up 2,500 miles for the year.

I also passed 10,000 miles since I started running in May 2006 on that same run.

BR: I don't think 3,000 is low annual mileage. It's 60mpw, or more like 70-80 during marathon training and 50-60 the rest of time. Add in lower weeks for taper and recovery and that's about right. I run 6-7 days a week, and train for 2-4 marathons a year and I've still never reached 3,000 miles.

• Mr BoatMr Boat ✭✭✭
    BR: I was a couple of runs short of 3K this year and was thinking this converts to a pretty respectable weekly average; unless you're marigold of course image.  I don't think I could go much higher without risking injury.
  • GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    BR - Low mileage through choice for me and supplimented by cycling.

A quick look at my log tells me I a performing around the level I was in 2006 when I did similar mileage.

Morning all.
  • Ode - no problem.  I actually got 'the call' after 10 miles and diverted to the hospital...

...30 hours later and we have a beautiful, healthy baby girl.  Mrs BEJ recovering from a c-section after a very long labour wasn't progressing so well.

Even managed my first Gobi/Coro o'clock run when I was sent home from hospital at 4am.  Only a mile, but a start!

Happy new year to everyone.

• Best wishes BEJ - take care of everyone.

MtR / MrB - I guess it's all about perceptions.  70-80mpw is not particularly high for marathon training.  It's decent given a full time job and other commitments, and reflects consistency.  it just struck me on a marathon thread that more folks would be 3000+.  I've probably not managed that myself this year but in a `normal' year would be looking at 3500+.

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Congratulation BEJ and family
  • RS78RS78 ✭✭✭

BEJ - congrats, that must be a huge relief!

Wardi - I forgot to say earlier I hope all goes well on friday.

MrB/TR - I'm somewhere between both of you regarding VLM in that while I will eventually set a target for London even if I train for a 2.50 (way off currently) effort I'd be happy with a sub 2.55 having secured the sub 3. That said I'm still very motivated to train. I'm also not going to get too stressed about pacing etc in this training plan just yet, just go out do some good training, enjoy it and continue the progression from the last two campaign. This will be my 4th London and main thing is to enjoy the day more this year with the pressure off so to speak.

Thanks again for the schedule Mr B.

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    Congratulations to BEJ, Mrs BEJ and the new arrival, great news. I'm sure that Mrs BEj will soon shrug off a C section with some strong ab muscles.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    RS - I fully expect to be somewhere between 2:50 and 2:55 too, Id take that.
  • BEJ Fantastic news. Any thoughts on a name?

If your trying to be trendy you could always call her Dull It is not used very often and it works for girls as well as boys.

• BEJ - great news, congratulations to the three of you. The birth sounds similar to how my 3 kids arrived. As TR said, I'm sure Mrs BEJ will recover from the c-section quickly.
  • Mr BoatMr Boat ✭✭✭

BEJ: congratulations, well done to you both.

TR/RS: All going well then we could be arriving at the Red Lion at a similar time image. Are you both off the red start?

• PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

BEJ - congrats! Should have finished the run off though - you were clearly going to have lots of time. Best wishes to everyone.

Did a mammoth gym session yesterday (all CV though), so legs are feeling a bit smashed today. I don't think my usual Tuesday of track followed by circuits is a good idea!

• TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭

Excellent news BEJ. Congrats all round! image

selbs - sounds like a bit of a 'mare with the infection. You seem to be a quick responder to training to I'm sure a few weeks of consistent training will see you right!

RWH - glad to see you really appear to have your enthusiasm under control this time around. If you can keep it up I'm sure it bodes very well for future improvements.

Welcome back OS. Fully recovered from the lurgy?

TR - pretty much the same. Between exams/operations/etc, we had a hectic last few months to the year, so it was nice to bunker down and get some quality family time image

JAP - re: finding the first few weeks of the P&D tough. Do you think it would have felt easier if you had had some quicker work in beforehand? Just curious as personally I always find my MP comes out much slower (legs can't handle the quicker pace as comfortably), which I've put down to coming in to it with no quicker stuff done beforehand. That's one of the reasons I'm doing things differently for Berlin.

Prudently took a rest day yesterday as Sunday's 13m was my longest run since the 24th of September! Out this morning for an easy 9.2m, but wound it up over the last mile to give me something to compare to my last mile on Boxing Day/estimate a conservative theoretical MP.

Boxing Day was 6:48 for 168bpm giving a theoretical MP of 6:40-6:50.
    Today was 6:45 for 166bpm giving a theoretical MP of 6:30-6:40.

I expect the improvement to speed up as the mileage increases over the coming weeks, but that will do as a start, especially as I am carrying ~3kg more than pre-Christmas.

• Dan ADan A ✭✭✭
    BEJ - Congratulations. I remember when I joined first joined this thread, you were a single guy who was getting beaten by Dull in marathons in around 3h15. How times change! Now you have a wife, child and a sub 2.30 marathon. Try putting those in order of preference (without telling the wife!!)

ZaTTu - solid progress there. How is the knee bearing up?

TR - yeah, we must have a smackdown this year sometime to redress the balance.

Anyone see the PDC darts world final last night? 9-darter from Lewis in the first set. Amazing stuff.
  • NjordNjord ✭✭✭

BEJ - fantastic news.  Huge congratulations  image.  Hope Mrs BEJ recovers well.

• Congratulations BEJ

Dan A wrote (see)
     Anyone see the PDC darts world final last night? 9-darter from Lewis in the first set. Amazing stuff.
    I was hoping Anderson would win but Lewis deserved it. Fantastic tournament, fantastic game. And that first set! Looking forward to the Premier League now...
  • Congrats BEJ, great news.

Good to see Marmite, LS21 and ZaTTu all putting in some good training following injuries.

No real improvements from me, I'm seeing a different physio this afternoon and the doctor on Friday morning, looks like I will have to have a scan and then if it is Osteitis pubis then possibly a cortisone injection to reduce inflammation as rest isn't sorting it out. I feel considerably stronger and more flexible but the inflammation wont go and is consequently still a problem.

• TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭

Knee seems good, cheers Dan. It's getting to nerve jangling time now though as the last time it was between 8 and 9 weeks when the injection wore off and it degraded (though obviously that was in a different part of the knee and pre-op) and it is almost 8 weeks post op now.

Fingers crossed you can get it resolved asap SL.

• MtRMtR ✭✭✭
    BEJ: Massive congratulations to you and Mrs BEJ. Hope it all goes well from now on.
  • selbsselbs ✭✭✭

Congrats BEJ!!

Going to take a look at my running spreadsheet and see how my mileage has been since i started later - so will respond to you then BR.

Time to start my 2011 training now, so off to the gym to see how unfit i really am! It's not going to be pretty!  Zattu - i hope so.... but i don't think it will be quickly enough to get anywhere near where i was for Abo in time for London now given my last 3 months.

• Wardi,
    All the best for Friday.

BEJ,
    CONGRATS!

selbs,
    Sorry to hear about the illness, coupled with the travel woes that sounds like a bit of an ordeal.

SL,
    Sorry to hear that mate, hope the doc can sort it asap.

• BEJ- Great news! Thoughts with you and the family.
  • Thanks for the congrats.  I'm just back from the hospital - both girls are doing great and may be home on Friday.  Georgia was a lithe 6lb9oz with an RHR of about 140bpm.  Best pair of lungs in the hospital by a clear margin though! 
  • Happy baby BEJ -- so did you actually run direct to the hospital having diverted your run and hang around for hours in your sweaty kit? Just one tip for you: EAR PLUGS! (No point in waking up if it's not your 'turn' to be on duty...)

BR -- I've never experimented with heavier weekly miles, but feel it would intrude too much into family time. As it is things work pretty well with my training consisting of (sometimes extended) commutes and just one long run at weekends when my absence is more obvious. It would be interesting to know though whether my legs would cope, and whether more easy miles would be more successful in terms of race performances. As it is I'm pretty happy with my current strategy though.

Interesting observations on the old results. I wonder if the decline in performance is just that there are far fewer in the pool of recreational runners in which to find the good ones, or whether the population getting fatter on average means that a larger proportion of joggers are really slow now, or what...

• selbsselbs ✭✭✭

lol BEJ nice one.

well the gym treadmill test jog has proved what i suspected... i guess we always have a rough idea really of exactly how fit/unfit we are, and all it did was prove that correct.  7 miles at my old easy jogging pace done in 52:15 - but average HR average was 155 which is half way between my marathon HR and half marathon HR!!!  indicates to me i am basically in 3:25 marathon shape (and those runs have proved pretty accurate predictors for me within 3-4 minutes in the past).  OMG thats a long way back to sub 2:45 shape... no chance of getting there by London, but i think i have a chance (subject to injuries of course) of getting back to sub 3 shape so that's the goal for london. Hopefully get fit enough to try and run with a few on here aiming at < 2:55... we'll see, may be tough with just over 2 weeks away snowboarding in japan in Feb as well.

BR - my running miles/stats from when i started in 2008.

895 miles total (avg pace 7:00 - didn't know what i was doing, ran too often at same pace/bit too fast)
    Marathon (NY) 3:03:55 of injury interrupted average of 35mpw for 17 weeks

1074 miles (avg pace 7:34)
    total injury ravaged year, lots of stop/start/stop in training. best effort a painful 85:30 HM at Stevenage

2123 miles total (avg pace 7:16)
    Marathon (Edinburgh) 2:57:23 off minor injury interrupted average of 40mpw for 16 weeks
    Marathon (Abingdon) 2:44:42 off uninterupted campaign of 55mpw for 18 weeks
    PB's at 10km (still poor though 36:00) and HM 77:42 during Abo training.

The key for me I think was the back to back Edinburgh then Abingdon campaigns for 2009, so it wasn't just the pure 55mpw for Abingdon, but all the miles done prior to that for Edinburgh as well.  i.e. i was already in around 2:55ish shape when i first started training for Abingdon.

It wasn't by choice lower mileage, it was due to injuries/life/stuff...  But i think for me an average of 55-60mpw is what would work ideally, but having around 6-8 weeks in a row hitting the 70-75mpw level which was when i made the biggest gains.  I wasn't focused on quality - i was focused on consistency for Abingdon, mostly Hadd type stuff, steady or easy jog commutes of 7-8 miles etc... but in the final 6 weeks pre taper, i did focus on the mid week run with 8-10 at goal marathon pace, plus a couple of faster finish long runs, or tempos (10km race) within a long run.  But i would break even more if i did more than 2 effort sessions a week i think.

I am clearly a bit injury prone so will never likely hit 3,000mpw+ per year.  i'll be v happy if i top 2,000 again this year, great if it's 2,500 but that would be tops.

My goals for 2011 are already adjusted back though, to getting fit again for spring, and then some PB attempts in summer/autumn.  An autumn marathon effort though could be compromised or missed due to trying to get back down to NZ for the rugby world cup.