Options

Sub 3

Comments

• Options
    BEJ - Many congratulations to you and Mrs BEJ. All the best for your future family life.
  • Options

not statistically important, but just for info (started running mid-2005)

YEAR       MILES      AVG PACE       26.2 Best
    2006        1565           7:15                3:41 (with MrsC)
    2007        3125           6:51                2:47
    2008        3600           6:32                2:35
    2009        3060           6:25                2:33
    2010        3054           6:22                2:28

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Selbs - ever occur to you that you may be injury prone due to always chasing targets and running too hard and that a good period of actual base work may help your body build resilliance and allow you to do greater miles?
  • Options

Happy New Year  to everyone image and many congrats JEJ. 

I'm building up the base miles now and prob wont do much racing other than give VLM the nads.

• Options
    selbsselbs ✭✭✭

not sure Gobi - it is in my nature to be competitive, and having a rough target  (like sub 3 - and then sub 2:50 initially) to work towards did help motivate me to get out the door. I'll probably always be slightly target focused, thats just what works for me.  However, i haven't really chased targets in any of the shorter distances at all - just rough idea i wanted to go sub 80 at BB.  my main target was first sub 3 - and after i got that, for Abo it was just lets see how well i can go on the back of another sensible campaign, and the final target setting only came a couple of weeks out based upon the best i thought i was capable of on the day (although idea was always sub 2:50 after Edinburgh).

But my training all last year was pretty much lots of steady and easy running, (hence only a couple of injuries i guess!) so not so sure about the latest injury being related to that.  definitly agree in 2008/2009 it was probably down to running too hard/fast relative to my ability and what my body was used to/able to cope with, along with poor running form/technique, so i agree with you iof that's what you were getting at - don't agree with latest problems. I mean since Abingdon, i've only done 180 miles total, at average pace of 7:30 - which coming off the back of a marathon average pace of 6:17m/m and half off 5:55 surely isn't too silly/out of proportion is it?

Question though - what is a good period of based work (how many weeks) - and does base work mean ALL miles slower than marathon pace/effort for example?  What would a typical base training week for us "lower" mileage types look like - i.e. those looking to do 50-60 miles per week.

If i look at my Abingdon training - my biggest week of all was 82 miles done 4 weeks out from Abingdon.  It looked as follows:

Mon - 8m @ 7:30 + 10 @ 6:15's (treadmill - at MP HR)
    Tue - 7m @ 7:52 + 7m @ 7:30
    Wed - 15.6m @ 6:48s (included 10 @ 6:17s (MP)
    Thur - 6m @ 7:30
    Fri - 5m @ 7:00
    Sat - 23.5m @ 7:41

is that still too much fast paced?  i know that isn't in the "base period" though.  But i didn't do any running really faster than marathon pace - just the 6:15's on a treadmill, so i thought i was being sensible.

• Options
    Congratulations BEJ!!

Haven't been on for a few days as I've been sulking with my instant return to the bench. Different problem though with my glute playing up stopping from running for the last week.

Still hoping I've got time to pull one at the bag at London, general plan of action on my blog.

http://www.steveway.co.uk/?p=69
  • Options
    selbsselbs ✭✭✭
    given my current state of fitness - agree Gobi that i should do a lot more running currently at >8m/m until i improve - and will do that for a while, as i obviously cant just keep running at current marathon pace effectively!
  • Options
    selbsselbs ✭✭✭
    Bummer Marigold.  Hope it comes right quickly.
  • Options

Hi guys,

I'm new to this thread and hoping to go sub 3 in Edinburgh.

I have a question regarding pace which you experienced lot might have a view on:

I quite happy to run with others on long runs but some of those may be significantly slower than me. Whilst I'm happy to accept that we should be running about a minute of two slower than race pace, I wondered is it possible to run TOO slowly? Is there any downside ?

Thanks

Owl 

• Options
    MtRMtR ✭✭✭
    Gobi: I know you stopped doing training advice on here a while back, but it might be helpful for others to see the sort of training you practice. It's a long way from P&D style work. As I remember it's a lot of sessions, many of them very slow (relative to your MP) interspersed with a fair amount of fast short racing plus regular marathons and ultras. You don't run that many half marathons as I remember.
  • Options

BEJ - Congratulations!!
    Zattu Great news on the comeback

December stats
    Miles run 221
    Races 1
    PB's ummm not sure you can call an obstacle race of 9km a pb?

Got a half marathon on Sunday which I won't taper for then a few more weeks of 60mile + if my body can take it

If I read that someone was looking at BCN marathon, then I am on the BCN marathon thread answering questions about BCN

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    BOwl - depends who you talk to, I don't believe you can run too slowly as long as it is not every run.

Selbs - Base period for me has meant about 2 months largely running in zone 1 or zone 2 so staying aerobic with the occasional race thrown in to blow off steam. This winter I have done the usual base work but raced more than normal. Current feeling is that I may have run too hard a few times in November and December but knowing that I am stopping marathon training in 8 weeks helps me a lot.
  • Options
    Congrats BEJ!

Marigold - hope the jog goes well.  I notice you mention the elite start times based on a HM time have changed, what to? Just checked the VLM site and theres no mention of it.  Got to have a dream!

BirminghamOwl As Gobi says, there is a difference of opinion on that one.  I rarely complete long runs faster than 8 m/m, a whole minute behind my marathon pace.  Some are slower than that.  It is possible to run so slowly that you change your action which is not good.  My offroad 28 miler on Saturday is expected to take over 5 hours.
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

A very belated happy new year to the thread from me.

Have skim read back to see that BEJ is now a dad - congratulations!  Hope Mrs. BEJ and BEJette are doing well.

Sorry to see that SL is still in the wars, injury wise.

I will read back later but am desperate to leave the office early on my first day back and go for a run image

• Options

Finally got my life back to some normality now that I'm back at work.  Holidays really screw things up but I think I came out the other side okimage

Really sorry to hear of your loss Wardi and like others have said you seem to be taking things well.  Hope this week goes as smoothly as it can for you and la familia.

Also sorry to hear of your water woes Brilly.  Not something you need around this time of year.  It looks like there's a bit of leaky pipe syndrome catching on in Australia too.  How many Aussies will be praying for rain for the Ashes I wonder?

And I guess the BEJ household had some of their own "water" problems but luckily the end result is a much happier one.  Congratulations!!  Is it safe to assume your 1 mile run was from the hospital to home?

You'll be back to your best in no time Selbs.  Maybe a good chance to bank some quality training, run a hard but not all out marathon (90%), have an easy week or 2 and then get back into some quality training again to attack an Autumn one?

Pleased to hear the bench is kinda clearing with LS21 making promising noises but a shame about SL still having trouble.  Also good to hear Wolverine is getting back into it too, 150 mile weeks in no timeimage

Sounds like a sensible approach you are taking RWH, you'll reap the rewards of a sub 3 and after that you can tempt fate with some higher milesimage  However, I thought you predicted some really cold weather not too long ago, where'd it go?

Welcome to all the newbies, seems loads are cropping up which is good, but the question is, how many will stick around?  Go on, you know you want toimage

RB - have your running problems thawed yet or are you still confined to the mill?

Good healing vibes being sent your way Marigold

I'm sure there's loads of stuff I've missed too but ya get that sometimes.

Loads of interesting stats coming about and I'm preparing my own stat attack soon so advanced warning for TR.

Oh yeah, almost forgot about my 10k on New Year's Day.  It was the Serpentine one and I clocked in at 30:26 off a 15:17 5k split.  Would have liked to go under 30 but I don't think 527 miles in December would have helped.  Luckily I had an easyish 5 days leading up to it with a Mon-Fri total of 65M - ended up with 93M for the week and last 6 weeks (in reverse order) have been 93(6:35), 128(6:48), 122(7:06), 118(6:49), 133(6:58), 115(6:59).  Pretty happy with the result considering I was on my own from about 3.5km.  Annoyingly I was 3 seconds off the course record but I didn't know that until after.

• Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Eh up folks, happy new year to all.  A massive congrats to the newly enlarged BEJ clan, and commiserations to those still on the bench or returning to it.

I've got some serious festive fitness damage to sort out.  Had an annoyingly lingering cold throughout the break so haven't even christened my new turbo trainer yet, but will be doing so over the next few days.  Running has been pretty much non-existent so X-training is looking pretty important at the moment...

I've just received the results of the MRI scan which had been put off before Xmas:  "Normal. No action."  image  Aaaarrrghh!!  My hip is far from 'normal' - it's niggly when I walk and I 'click' when I straighten my leg out!   So I've booked another GP appointment for Thursday and in the mean time sent a message to the physio to advise on the next step. 

Could be worse, PJ Harvey's got a new album coming out soon.  Maybe she'll help me get my mojo back.

• Options
    selbsselbs ✭✭✭

that sucks PP.  it's those undiagnosable niggles that are really frustrating and hard to fix as you just don't know the best course of action!  Hope it sorts itself out somehow soon.

Similar to SL - missed your post before sorry, really hope you can get on top of your problems as well.

• Options
    TmapTmap ✭✭✭

Nice one BEJ.

We haven't been through all that in nearly 12 years now in our house, but having the new puppy is bringing back some of those memories!

I imagine you'll be deluged with advice, but just to chip in, if I could give only one tip to any new parent, it would be to ignore everything anyone tries to tell you about breastfeeding.  If it works then great, but the important thing is that she gets enough to eat.

• Options

Cheers for positive comments on run.

Welcome back to TR and welcome to NvdW and DN.

BR: For me, I am trying to increase mileage gradually but as long as my times continue to improve naturally I feel no desire to try and push mileage up substantially. I run to a cycle of 3 on weeks and 1 down week, and have tried to keep this going throughout the year and attribute what gains I've achieved to doing this consistently. I've taken two blocks of two weeks completely off, once after Edinburgh and once when my son was born, and other than that have had no injuries and relatively few races.

BEJ: congratulations - that's really fantastic news

SL: sorry to hear that, hopes it get better

As for me, well I am in India (Puri) for a conference. The conference hotel had a nice website with pictures of the gym, bar, swimming pool etc but it turns out these were all nicked from google as the place is still a building site. 24+ hours of travelling took out Sunday and Monday, but today I managed 68 min = putative 8.5M up and down the hotel corridors.

• Options
    Mr BoatMr Boat ✭✭✭

BEJ, more baby advice: if you're in doubt about anything to do with babies just ask one of your mums as they know absolutely everything; ours do image

• Options

Thanks for the replies.

I can quite happily do 10 minute miles if chatting away or pacing one of the slower runners on an LSR. I get plenty of mix with club interval sessions and tempo runs so I'm not worried about doing too much slow stuff. Thanks again.

Owl

• Options
    selbsselbs ✭✭✭
    That's dedication Piscator!!
  • Options
    MtRMtR ✭✭✭
    MrB: And their rose-tinted spectacles really enhance their memories as well. I'd also ask both mums for advice at the same time - they're bound to agreeimage
  • Options

BEJ Fab news! Have been thinking about you both, now three, all day and just logged on to see the wonderful news. Many many congratulations.

Will read back now but that was all I wanted to post: nothing else compares!

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

SL - thats not great news sorry to hear that, my groin aches again today after doing big gear on the bike - you been doing that in yr sleep ?

Marigold/PP - sorry to hear of your injury issues too.

Pisc - madness - well done

MrBoat - I'm on the GFA start with the rest of the (thread groovy) gang !

Selbs - you still have about 15 weeks and given what you achieved last yr thats tons. Give it 4 weeks of upped frequency and consistency with no real worry about pace and distance and then you will be ready to put in 8 good weeks. 45 mins to 60 mins 7 days/week with no pace worries - get to it. If you dont beat me at VLM I'll be p*ssed off !

Marders - thats me done - post up the stats now. Nice 10k, will you be taking me on at Chichester in 4 wks time ?

• Options

Some great training going on. Thanks Marders! December was a bit cold! I must admit this is all a bit nondescript now and I thought we'd be in for something colder than this again.

Ah, the pace debate. What do I know? Little. What does my coach know? Masses. He reckons easy runs should be just that so in my case should mean HR <135bpm which means something pretty slow. If you run them slow you're not only building the base, you're also less likely to be injured. Gobi's base building is a lesson.

7 miles easy at lunchtime on the treadmill at school. No pupils for another week at our school. Tomorrow I'll run back for the first time on the North Downs Way. Should be about 11 miles or so.

Watching the SA vs Ind highlights. Heck of a deciding game!

• Options
    JAPJAP ✭✭✭

BEJ, great news, many congratulations.

BR, my 2010 total was about 1000M down compared to 2009, but that was down to a block of training missed pre-London due to injury and losing the whole of autumn to some post viral thing.

ZaTTu,  I think i either mis explained or was saying 2 different things at the same time. Before I started the P&D plan I thought it looked pretty tough, both in miles and with MP & HMP running right from the outset. Now being 3 and a bit weeks into the plan I am actually suprised at how fresh my legs are still feeling. Maybe it is down to not having to run any quicker that HMP? Having said that, I knew I was starting the plan from a far lower fitness level than I would have liked so am running to HR rather than to target or even PB  paces. Am also running the recoveries easier than I would previously have done.

• Options
    Dan ADan A ✭✭✭
    marders - that is insane mileage for Dec & a pretty tidy start to 2011. Message to any newcomers to the thread; don't worry that is not normal behaviour to get you to sub-3.

PP - bad luck mate; hope you can ride it out

Pisc - 8.5 miles along a corridor. Are you serious? Dedication award of the decade that. Don't they have roads in India?

Just been out for a 10 mile burn up. This time of year always makes me laugh. I'd normally be lucky to see one or two other runners on that route, but being the first working day of January, I must have seen close to THIRTY runners/joggers. Good on them, but I doubt I'll be seeing them out in a weeks time (and not just 'cos I'll be in Canada). Then popped into the gym in our apartment block which is almost always empty (nice little private gym in effect!), and it was full of first timers wheezing away in their 15 year old cotton t-shirts. Reminded me of CRAB.
  • Options

Some really interesting and informative replies re. the mileage.

Birmingham Owl - the fastest guy locally is a V40 and often does club runs with the extremely slow group - he must be running 10m/m and recently ran a 71.xx HM debut.  So no it doesn't matter how slow the slow runs are, as long as the faster ones are done too.  We also see him hammering hell out of the treadmills at our gym.  It's about getting the balance right.

Coro - those stats are even more impressive as they include a couple of corosodes, do they not?  What would the projected mileage have been without those interruptions?

Charlie - I wonder how many have greater expectations re. families and jobs which may not have been the case 30 years ago.  Men seemed to be a lot freer back then to do as they pleased.

Selbs - you have some really exciting gains to make if you can get a long period of consistency in.

Piscator - building gradually is a good tactic.

Marders - nice win.  Hope you go sub 30 next year.  I look forward to the stats.

Marigold / PP - I sincerely hope you'll both be on the startline in April.  PP - it must be so frustrating

From starting running in 1999, I started `properly' in 2002 and managed consecutive years of 3300, 3600, 3900 and 4005.  At the time I was pushing myself as far as I could go.  Now I find I'm able to do that training in blocks, but not all the time.  It was always a case of not `how much do I need to do for xx' but `how much can I possibly do without physically and mentally overdoing it.  However work was not as demanding then.

• Options

I have never looked at my total milage since I have only really been running for a year.

I log my milage online through the Garmin site, so since the London Marathon and being seriously inspired to hit my Amsterdam goal I started doing some consistent milage. So all in all I maned 1600km (1000miles) since May 2010, and that is with 3 weeks off after London and 1 month off after the Amsterdam marathon.

So all of my stats starting May 2011 which included training for a 5km, 10km, 21.1km Olympic Tri and Marathon.

Stats for running:

Total runs: 115

Ave heart rate: 141bpm

Total distance 1591km

Time running 127hours

Elevation gain 9000m (I run in Richmond Park...it's Hilly!)

Ave Speed 12.6km/h

Total swimming stats:

Total swimming sessios: 20

Distance: 22km

Time: 11h

Total Cycling stats (I commute to work when I can +- 7 miles one way):

Total bike sessions: 112

Totol distance: 1566km

Total time: 73hours

Ave heart rate: 120bpm

I am currently doing about 40 miles a week and want to get up to 55 in my peak week for my third marathon and first sub 3.

Tonight was an easy 6mile run @ 7:45pace with heart rate at 135. My legs are quite sore after my hard 14 miles on Saturday followed by a brisk 40 mile ride in a very cold Surrey yesterday.

Tomorrow night will be quite a hard session of:

Speed intervals 3 miles easy, 15 * 1 min @ 5km pace/1min easy + 3 miles easy 

Following Mcmillan's running calculator for paces it puts me at 5:55pace for a 5km race if I use my target of around 2:59 for a marathon, so that is what I will try and hit. I have done these workouts before, and although hard I do not see any problems, I had my nemises of a workout last week...and that was 6*1 min hill intervals @ 3km pace....I felt tired for two days afterwards!