Sub 3

Comments

• Mr BoatMr Boat ✭✭✭

BR: I tend to do my LSR as progressive efforts. On today's run as I turned for home on 14 miles I was against a noticable breeze for 4 miles and the final 2 miles were up a gradual incline so these last 2 miles always raise my ave HR when done with any effort. I've discussed whether I'm running my medium long and long runs too hard with Marigold and he said I may be going a bit hard at times; hence my midweek medium runs are at a slightly reduced effort but are still run progressively. It is a fault I've got but I do do my recovery runs at the correct pace. I'll know more when I attempt this Tuesday's session which is a lactate threshold effort of 10mi with 4@ HM pace. Thanks for the input.

Today's LSR

• RS78RS78 ✭✭✭

CW - nice win. Don't think I'll be "running" up high in the lakes, haha Probably just some walking with the family although maybe just me and my Stepdad as everyone moaned on Hellvellyn in the snow last March. There for a long weekend so will be able to get some runs in too. No Bob Graham for me either imageimage

Drifter - I like the sound of that racing even if it does sound rock. Inspiring nonetheless.

LS21 - Glad the knee held up

MrB - great first "progressive" 20. Seems like you're on a roll at the moment.

Craig D - where in the north east? I grew up in Jesmond, Newcastle. Dad works at Durham uni and Grandma lived in county Durham. Nice XC the other day by the way.

Coronium - that's rather quick, respect.

Marmite - good to see you getting some mileage under the belt after the injury.

3HW - nice long run and tough by the looks of it. Yep similar outlook to me on this campaign.

BR/Hilly - nice 22

JAP - solid long run, glad to see you fully over that virus carry on from a while back.

TR - cracking training as ever.

16 miles for me this morning, really nice bright, brisk morning. Finished in 1.57, avg pace 7.20 and felt very comfortable throughout which was good given the hills (1483 elevation gained/1457 lost for those that care,lol). 52 miles for the week and a good start for this campaign.

Garmin seems to be misting up right in the middle and then disappearing once I'm back inside. Might give it a week or so and then contact them, can't be normal although it seems to be working fine.

• TRTR ✭✭✭

top long runs there Marders and BEJ

Jap, RS - good pace there

Selbs - Gordo would tell you that a breakthrough run is ok (just dont do it often), I'll probably do one when I jump from 16 ish to 20 in about 5 weeks time. SO you should be ok to jump form 22ish up to 26 or 27 as long as you take it easy.

mapmy run said I did 15.3M today in 2:03, so still apporx 8 m/m but it was a good in a time on feet way (sounds like Ode was doing this too) , I was bagging 20s in 2:17 last year, where as 20 today would have taken me 2:40 ish

• My word there's some good stuff going on this weekend, I wonder what the thread mileage for the last two days works out as? 

21 miles for me yesterday, my usual route which saves the best hills until the last 5 miles.  I didn't time it but it felt fairly progressive which was good.  Followed by riding 51 miles fixed around Surrey & Sussex.

I was watching the women's XC skiing on Eurosport earlier.  This was a 9km course going up one of the downhill ski runs - at one point they were going up a 33% slope.  Needless to say the majority collapsed crossing the line, they know how to give it everything, for sure.

• It seems a big factor when it comes to LSR pace is how many miles you are doing and it seems the lower mileage types can knock out long runs a lot closer to MP most weeks. When I started out in the 30 mpw range, I was doing my long runs at MP or faster. I can't remember what kind of figures you're doing Mr Boat but maybe the pace is ok? I guess the important thing is to listen to your body and run to what feels comfortable. Remembering back, it felt just as hard then running a 20+ miler at MP as it does these days running them at MP + 90-120s!

Forgot to mention that I ran the Middlesex XC champs yesterday. Saw Dull there too and had a bit of a chat (twice even!). The course was horrible and muddy and I found it just sapped all my strength. The terrain (hills/mud) really throws you out of a rhythm so it's not really to my liking (or anyone's really). XC for me though is only ever a hard training run after a normal week's running so I'm not too fussed about it all. Anyway, managed to secure my first XC victory and apparently I have a rather large trophy I need to pick up. Glad I didn't get it on the day as I ran some of the way home (~5M).

Hilly - nice long run by yourself and Mr Hilly. Who was the unpleasant company;) I'll only do one more over distance before April, it's called the Seville Marathonimage I imagine that will come out at about 26.3-26.5M at hopefully MP minus a few seconds. I'd rather that it be slightly over distance than mimic Blackpool! Today's run was more to make myself feel better about my lack of long runs really, which it has but now my legs are feeling it. To be expected really after yesterday's efforts and a good excuse to have a couple of easy days, maybe even run some singles.

Just looked at my splits from today's run and the first 4 miles were done at ~7:20 avg pace, the next 12 were just outside 7:00 avg pace, then 6 at ~6:30 avg pace, followed by 6 at ~5:50 avg pace.

Ended up doing a bit more mileage this week than I intended, about 118M I think. Next week I will try my hardest to do about 100!
  • great running going on this weekend, very impressive stuff

marders - well done on become the County Champ + 28M run - so very impressive.

BEJ - ahh, the joys of having a baby! I hope the THH person was saying ok things about me......

• Mr BoatMr Boat ✭✭✭

Marders: this week was my longest week ever; 76mi. So relatively speaking I'm not on low mileage but I did feel comfortable going through the gears and felt I could have run close to MP for the last miles if I'd wanted to. I just find it difficult not to work myself during part of my LSR. I know it's not everyones idea of a LSR though. I think as long as I've saved enough for my next effort session on Tueday there's no harm done. BTW; that was some serious punishment for a late night wasn't it. Just as well you didn't have 8 pint; you'd have had to do 30mi image

RSalter: nice LSR there. I've had this with my Garmin before although I haven't noticed it for a while; usually on really cold days. Mines over 5,000 miles old now (just over 2 years) so I don't think it's a bother.

• haha MrB! yeah, 6 pints and only 6 hours sleep wasn't the best idea but no point making these things easyimage
  • TRTR ✭✭✭

marders - County XC Champ - nice one. My best was 4th and I was only a kid ! Think of it as 6 pints of CARB loading.

MrBoat - I'm amazed that you are knocking out progressive LSRs with approx MP in them  so easily in 20s already. I dont think I'll even be able to run a 10k at MP next Sunday. I reckon I've dug myself into some holes over the last couple of VLM campaigns by doing too many of my long runs too hard too may weeks before the big day. I'm not sure that doing then like that for the next 12 weeks ish is wise myself, maybe you dont plan to do them all like that though. BUT I too find them a chore doing them slowly........dont burn all your matches too early !

• Wow: what a take-off on here. January 09th 2011 has definitely seen goodbye to the mid-winter lulls. What a noticeable upping of distances after the festivities. Some really impressive long runs out there.

The Jiffle King: great race report and excellent result with a pb: big congratulations

LS21 really really pleased to hear that: excellent news.

Mr Boat: superb 20! Likewise Coronium.

Craig: nice one and 3HW likewise

mmmm...marmite: great long(ish) run on the way back to form

Nice one TR and really great mileage for the week.

Marders: whilst other mortals tick off the magic 20 there's you knocking off 28+!  Brilliant.

Hilly and BR super 22m's.

Superb under the circs BEJ

kinaseboy: very nice 15m ish

JAP: and another on here with a superb 20m!

ODE: likewise with your two long runs.

Tmap: and another! Super mileage too.

Nice ride Nico

RSAlter: nice 16m

CD: and another with a 21+. Great stuff!

Apologies if I've missed anyone.

Frustrating but very driven day for me. If you can't face reading on, then the upshot is I banked 17.5m to bring up 56m for the week.

Have bought a dishwasher as a nice surprise for the lady when she returns from Devon on Wednesday. Did it through Dixons because they offer 3 hour delivery slots that you pay extra for. So I booked 7-10am today, knowing I could then get out for my long run and then head up to school to give a 3 hour extra A level revision class. Bloody dishwasher didn't arrive. Hung on 'til midday and went up to school. So then went out at 4.15pm from school missing all the lovely weather and bagged my 17.5m. Was pitch dark through woods, hilly, and couldn't see properly (badly need a second torch). Turned into a proper long slow run! But the main thing is I did it. Just got back in after driving back from school.

56m for the week. Holding off 20m's until 23rd Jan, but this week's Friday run will nudge up a couple of miles so might be looking at around 58-59m.

Here's an odd question. Anyone on here lick their sweat? I know that may seem a weird one but a cyclist buddy of mine says he and mates often do it. Obvious reasons why one would I suppose but I just wondered if any of you have heard of it?

• RWH - great mental fortitude there. Maybe they lick their sweat as it has the essential salts they're losing by sweating.  I like to lick the dried sweat on my neck by wetting my finger, but thought it was an OCD thingimage

TMAP / CL - well done on the XCs

Marders - fantastic win.  Are you the first thread County XC champion?  And are you planning on the Intercounties?  When is the Jimmy Seville marathon?  Is that Blackpool one short then?...

TJK - well done on the pb.

MrB - excellent pace off high mileage.  As TR says, don't burn your matches too early (from one who has peaked in every month except mid April over the years....)

Thanks for the replies re. Gloucester.  Ode - is that a definite 6:50 pace group then?

• Yes BR that's what he told me: his bike buddies do it to replace salt. I did try it today and felt slightly cannabilistic about it! I don't use isotonics at all at the moment, which do a similar thing I suppose.
  • Wow! Some really impressive training and racing going on here, from so many people.

Marders - have I got this right? County XC victory, then a few more miles, then 6 pints, then 28 miles in 3.09? Really impressive as always. Did you catch my post a while back about the NYD 10k - I was giving out drinks at the end, I think gave you yours but can't quite remember, would have said hello but didn't know it was you (I should have guessed!).

I've seen a few stories from the olden days where some of the elites' night-before-London preparation was a curry and a few pints. Not sure whether it's true or not, but maybe that's the secret recipe for getting a Brit under 2.10 again...

Dean - 69 miles from a previous high of 46 is a big jump, well done on a great week's training but don't get injured 8 weeks before the big race. I'd agree with those saying a few rest days and I would have an easy week and also make this week's easy runs very easy.

CharlieW - glad that I can stalk more efficiently now. And nice win.

RSalter
    - my Garmin does the same thing from time to time, I haven't noticed it causing any problems.

While almost everyone else seems to be making progress in leaps and bounds I've been going backwards a little bit, had a second cold/cough this week plus my knee is still not quite right, managed 60 miles but no long run (from coming into 2010 on about 35mpw I can't quite believe 60 miles is now a lower mileage week!). Anyway a week's cruise for me starting tomorrow, hurray, and I'll have a week completely off running. Training has been going well, so I hope a week off should do no harm, maybe it'll be a good thing, and if the knee sorts itself out then I'll be very happy indeed.

Happy running everyone.
  • TmapTmap ✭✭✭

Here's a good one of the mighty Tmap/CL tussle:

• if its xc picture time . . . .heres me. And it was rather cold.

I'm not winning as about 10 runners have already gone past, just looking fat.  Youngest daughter suggested 'Run, fat boy, run' as a caption. Diet starts tomorrow.
  • Boy,things have suddenly kicked into life! Simply too much to comment on when posting on a BlackBerry on a tram, but very pleasing to note return of Marmite and LS21. Casual class from Marders, BEJ, Coro, nice half from TJK and many great long runs from others noted.

I don't feel quite where I would have wanted to be but happy nonetheless. Despite a persistent calf niggle, I managed the 'magic' 42m last week recommended by Selbs and BEJ: 5 x 6m commutes and a 12m last night. Last night even had some 'decent' pace: av 7 20, with a slow start and a faster lick to finish. More of same this week, but more so, is the plan.
  • PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

Blimey, loads of good long runs this weekend, impressive stuff.

TJK (and TJQ) - nice PBs, great stuff.

Marders - congrats on the county XC win. Was there much competition? I would have expected Middlesex to be a tough one to win.

10M for me on Saturday followed by about 75 mins on the bike (on the road for the first time in a while!), all quite easy as I had the Herts XC on yesterday. Feel like I had a decent run, 8th place, beating everyone I would expect to beat, and was well behind 7th place so couldn't have really come any higher up. Had a decent tussle with a certain clubmate who used to post on here, just about managed to hold him off. I forgot how tough 12km XC is though! As usual there was a strong field at the front (N Hall, K Skinner etc.), and that's with a few top guys missing.

• PadamsPadams ✭✭✭
    Marders - seen the Middlesex XC results now. A decent field, lots of familiar names from the Met League. I reckon I might have got within 3 mins of you!
  • Disaster for me this weekend. Really struggled in the Middlesex bog and was cramping at 9k. First time this has ever happened to me in a x/c race, which isn't a good omen for the future.

Wasn't the usual route as a U14F collapsed on the course so it was changed, and we finished up doing pretty much all of the race on mud rather than some on woodland trails which suits me better.

Well done to marders on the first prize. Totally astonished that you managed 28 miles on Sunday. It took me almost ten minutes after leaving you to start running again as the cramp would just not go away regardless how slow I jogged.

Was aiming for a 15m on Sunday but jacked it in after 90 mins as I was feeling so washed up. At least that jaunt was cramp free.

Might be time for me to join the sub4 thread?

Dull

• TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭

Morning y'all.

Looks like some good weekend running and racing going on, with top mentions to marders and TJK.

BEJ - we found that within a couple of weeks both of ours started to settle into their routines nicely and things became much more predictable. Fingers crossed you're as lucky!

RWH - I do occasionally. If I'm on a long one and haven't taken water. One of the old timers I used to train with as a kid told me the same thing you've been told.

Bad luck Dull. I know you've probably said before, but have you seen a sports doctor (as opposed to a GP) about the cramp?

I was supposed to run yesterday, but ended up having to work for a few hours late Saturday night and because of lack of sleep opted for the lie-in. With the resulting fresh legs and it being almost 9 weeks post-op with no issues, I decided to man up and put myself back in full training as of today. Plan is simply to follow my basic training plan and take a rest day when my body says so. The fact I'm running to HR will make it easier to absorb the mileage and I can't really function properly on a half-way house (I'm very much an all or nothing person). And yes, I know it isn't exactly the norm, or sensible/clever, but there you go. I am what I am.

It's 10 weeks to Reading HM, and I think that just by upping the volume and applying some sensible efforts I've got an outside chance of sub-70. I'm making Maidenhead 10m on Good Friday my main spring target.

9m easy this am and 9-10m easy with a few hillsprints at lunchtime.

• ZaTTu - Great to see you back at it, take it easy though mate.

BEJ - Good mileage all things considered

Marders - Sterling effort.

MrBoat - Great long'un and great mile increase.

Marmite - Good to see you getting back to it.

Progress for me, should be running this time next week image

• Thankyou for the well wishes after my Half yesterday, I was pleased to jog an easy 5 this morning and will be back training tomorrow.

ZaTTu - Maidenhead Easter 10 is one of my favourites, I know it starts in an industrial park, but the course is twisty goes along good tracks and is very friendly. 

RW-H - licking sweat??? really?? I´m not sure about it, but I happen to work for a company which also makes sports drinks... I´ll ask the sciencey people and post if they come back to me.

15 degrees in BCN over the weekend. Don´t know how many of you are doing BCN marathon, but I think it will get colder. I don´t envy you all running in the cold!!

• I see that DOD on the darkside did 28 miles on Sunday too.  Struggling to believe what this guy is doing as even with my decent regular mileage I think I would struggle to do some of what he's doing.

Sub 4 Dull, no way!

Legs a bit sore today so cycled to work and will do 6.5M at lunch round Regents Park and then cycle home and do maybe 4-5M this evening.  Need to tidy up my upcoming race schedule as I have too many potentials and I think it would be silly to do them all but we'll see.

• TJK, call me cynical, I'd be astonished if the sciency people working for a sports drink manufacturer agreed that licking sweat might be a viable alternative to their products image
  • >if its xc picture time . . . .heres [i]me[/i]. And it was rather cold.
    Move over Marigold, Drifter is the new media whore image

Well done on those various XC performances people.

You wil get a bit of salt back by licking your sweat -- but the question is how much -- I would guess not significant (unless you put a huge effort into capturing and self-grooming!).

• Mr BoatMr Boat ✭✭✭

CW: self grooming? Like a cat? Now there's a thought image

• I'm thinking about signing up for the Sidcup 10. Looks boring but fast. Anybody else on here doing it?

TJK: cold... you get used to it. At this point 5 degrees seems hot.
  • GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all, a quick scan back and nice one Marders unlucky Dull.

Various good long runs going on at the weekend

Ode, I wouldn't mind a 6.50 bus a Gloucester but not sure we all start together.

Twiggy - no comments beyond be careful.

What about me - another weekend in Denmark saw me win the ice covered first running of the Esbjerg parkrun on Saturday followed by a sub 75% HR 3.02 marathon on Sunday, only good enough for 2nd place. Seems I enjoy this as a way of doing a solid long run. That is 2 x 3.02 marathons 6 days apart and the legs feel pretty good today. Again had some interesting snow and ice challenges.

I'm giving up marathons and ultras for about 6 months at the end of Feb so I can focus on the Alpe d'Huez triathlon. I can't run 26 miles at the weekend to prep for ultras and do 4/6 hour bike rides with enough focus to prepare for what is in France.
  • selbsselbs ✭✭✭

Awesome effort Gobi.  You going to bang out a full on race effort marathon before you "retire" for 6 months?  You must be back in sub 2:40 shape or thereabouts musn't you - or even better?

60 minutes jog for 8 miles today.  Looking to do 5 x 60 minutes of 7 or 8 miles each day this week, adn then go for a 2 hour jog on teh weekend.  Hoping to be back up to a long run before i go off snowboarding in 4 weeks. Unfortunately a few beers and lots of food on the weekend means i am still around 7kg over weight.

• BR- Yes, 6.50 bus sounds gd.

Gobi- I think you're right and you start a few minutes later. Playing catch up for the first few miles. You could always do a regressive long run...