Sub 3

Comments

• Gobi - you didn't mention you made it a 1-2 in Esbjerg.  Showing the Danes how it's done, eh?

I've only ever been to Esbjerg in the summer (had some work there a few years ago) and it was a windy old place.  I can only imagine what it's like in winter!

• Gobi what are your plans for the rest of the year? Must be tempting to cash in some of your training very soon - 3:02 at undre 75% looks very good!

Talking of acclimitisation, it felt quite warm scraping the ice of the car this morning at a mere -1, the +10 due for Thursday should see the running vest got out for the first time this year.

Zattu - take care, you've managed your comeback brilliantly so far,  I'm not quite sure what full training is but I suspect it involves a lot of running!

TJK Interested in your race report as I have a half marathon in 2 weeks time and I am trying to decide how to train in the last week. Nice running, 20 sec pb untapered. 

Off to jewelers in a minute to buy a new strap pin for my garmin as I snapped one when falling over on Saturday.  Don't feel remotely tired after a 60 m week, aiming for the same this week.  Actually considering increasing the miles a bit.
  • Lots of amazing runs over the weekend, Marders stands out.

Nice understated marafunning by Gobi.

Mr Boat: kudos on the mileage and nice long run.

TJK: nice half

RWH: I was licking my sweat after my run today, I do it naturally as it tastes good (also wipe face with hand and then lick hand). Probably it was the subconscious telling me I was salt deprived, I'm only drinking water here. 

A rather monotonous 2 hour =  notional 16M run this evening, up and down, up and down.... Conference has now ended and I start heading back tomorrow, it should be 36 hours door to door joy of joys, including a 14 hour overnight wait at Bangalore. Ain't travel glamorous? Have managed reasonable mileage while out here but zero quality, which is much as expected. Looking forward to being back home, I have a well developed loathing of international airports.

• TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭

TJK - last year was my first time doing Maidenhead, and, like you, I really enjoyed it. The format to allow you a couple of trips past crowds is a good one.

marders - I assume it was somebody having a laugh, but from some of the later comments it could be down to over-exhuberant guesswork on distance as well (but the cynic in me just says that's another way to make it a little more believable). Still, if it's real, good luck to him.

Gobi - noted. Being managed by pace/HR. Nice one on Sunday. Much behind 1st?

More good mental investment piscator.

selbs - 60min jog for 8 miles? I thought you were going to slow down whilst recovering? All my running today has been much slower than that!

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Ode - sounds like I could go out hard then back off when I catch you up depending how big the start is that you get.

Selbs/Drifter - too fat to run 2.40 !!!!! but that is not the target for now. My target race is a 40 miler in Wales at the end of Feb hence I shall be out again this weekend putting in the miles. Seems pretty strange behaving like a runner.

If the triathlon goes well I shall park the bike and train as a runner for one late season marathon where getting back to 2.40 will be the target.

CD - Rach is keeping quite a low profile. The weather was pretty harsh to say the least.
  • GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Twiggy - winner did 2.53 so didn't attempt to play with him.

He did however run a 1.24 - 1.29 but that could be as he knew he was a long way clear as I went through halfway in 1.32.
  • selbsselbs ✭✭✭

Zattu - yeah my plan this week is lots of 8min/miles and some 7.5min/miles (as long as my HR doesn't go crazy).  HR was still very bad, but on average still below marathon HR so kept it aerobic i think, so don't think i was being too silly.  Plus it was on a treadmill which in my opinion is usually a little bit easier.  tomorrow i will be back on the 8min/mile trail, much as i was last week.  Today i seemed about 3:15-20 marathon fit, as opposed to last weeks 3:20-3:25 marathon fit!

This weeks training plan for me is VERY simple (governed largely by HR like you i think!) mixing up average of 135bpm and 145bpm.  Then a longish (2 hour) run on the weekend.  Will repeat next week, but add maybe a commute double or two.  Hopefully that will get me back into the 50mpw range.

Gobi - look forward to seeing how you get on with the 40 miler then, you seem to be going well.

Piscator - nuts.  Hope it helps you close to 2:40 for VLM though!!

• TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭

Gobi - Sound decision not to play then! How was the rest of the course? The start looked mental with all that snow!

selbs - fair enough. Far be it for me to criticise your road back (people in glass houses and all that image ). I was just a bit curious as I would personally find it hard to do that much running that close to mara effort, but I think I may be a closet lazy b'stard image

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Little patches of ice here and there but quite runable. Course was rolling and I don't think had any flat sections :¬)
  • selbsselbs ✭✭✭
    Zattu -  i reckon it's a little bit like I think you mentioned the other day - when you are relatively unfit/coming back - it seems like it's easier to work at the higher HR.  When i was fitter - i defnitely found i couldn't run for very long at 150-155bpm during training - but at the moment i feel like i could probably run 10-15 miles in training at that level (if i was so inclined - i'm not).  once i get a bit fitter/faster - i presume it will go back to "normal" and that would feel like a really tough session.  At the moment doing average of 135bpm, and 145 bpm (with my marathon HR being about 150bpm) feels easy enough and not like i am pushing it.  Although maybe i should actually work at 130 and 140 - but a bit like PP mentioned a while back - there's running slow, and there's running really slow - and sometimes i just can't make myself run REALLY slow, it's too depressing (and takes me too long!!) and i want to burn some more calories too!  probably none of that makes sense reading back... oh well.
  • TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭

Sounds like a fun course Gobi. Impressed by it actually being run in those conditions. I'd imagine here the H&S bods would be all over it, but I guess if you're dealing with that kind of weather on a regular basis you adapt to it easier.

selbs - my reference to mara HR never having felt so easy the other day was to do with sticking to HR for my easy runs to make sure easy was properly easy. You may have a point though in it being easier to hit higher HRs whilst unfit though. I hadn't thought of that. Normally I wouldn't even consider running to HR in the first few weeks back because of the pace, but I think the easiest way for me to get the volume safely (relatively speaking) back up at the moment is just to suck up the pace (I was running > 9m/m in parts this afternoon) as much as I dislike it.

• TRTR ✭✭✭

Padams - nice work in the XC, still running strongly.

Gobi - nice one, but you could have sped up by 3mins both times. Remind me agin of the Alp DHuez Tri distances ? You could do very little running from March to the race and then pick it up again afterwards, but I guess an Autumn 2:40 would mean you need to keep running through the Summer. I think you need to do lots of swimming cos that is a big race and it will be very demoralising if you are one of the last bikes off the rank , it demoralises me for a while on the bike.

Selbs - sandbagger, cheat, blaggard.......................etc jogging at 7m30s !!!!

6M, lunchtime swimming drills, 5M for me today - all of em were over 8 m/m (selbs), I remember when 7:30s felt like jogging too !

BTW - marmites casanova sessions said 80-85% of MP for 24-26M runs, just a thought for those doing maras as training. Sounds like folks might be advised to go slower than they think.

• Gobi -- tremendous weekend there. I'm toying with the idea of the Cambridge Boundary Run as a sub-maximal training marathon (near end Feb I think) on the road to London... but you'd have to call me a wuss now if I didn't race the parkrun the day before too.
  • selbsselbs ✭✭✭

lol TR, i wish i was sandbagging!  only problem was it was almost at my current marathon pace effort wise (so probably wrong to call it jogging i guess!!)  back to 8m/m for a bit more then.  Nice training as usual there.

Zattu - i was running >9m/m's towards the end of some of my runs last week when trying to keep HR to 135bpm.

• TR wrote (see)

BTW - marmites casanova sessions said 80-85% of MP for 24-26M runs, just a thought for those doing maras as training. Sounds like folks might be advised to go slower than they think.

TR.  While running in the p!ssing rain last night I enjoyed the interview on the Marathon Talk podcast with some bloke called Eamonn Martin who IIRC more or less agreed with you.  Very interesting interview which I would highly recommend. 

• TRTR ✭✭✭

OS - I remembered cos I was looking at it the other day after folks had mentioned 20M build up races (which Casanova says are 90 to 95%).

Selbs - you're getting your HRM and your "jogging" in a tangle.

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Charlie - WUSS

TR - yes I could but the important thing was to stay under 75% HR effort and maintain my training straight afterwards, this evening saw me hit the track for intervals so I achieved my aim.

The distances are 2.2km swim 115km bike and a half marathon. Thanks to the half I will still be doing regular 10/15 mile runs just nothing more so if I decide on a late season marathon I should be at a reasonable start point.

Hating to sound dull but all I need to do is swim well enough not to be wrecked coming out the water as doing Alpe d'Huez is ALL about the bike.
  • Lots of great running over the weekend - races, long runs and back-from-injury efforts. My own effort probably counts as barely OK on that scale lol - 46:22 for approx 11.75k (according to my Garmin) of XC in the Yorks and Humberside County Champs:104th out of 224 so I'm hoping a lot were somewhat younger than me - probably wishful thinking image. Roll on 2 years for V50 status, I feel like I'm in limbo atm.
  • Tmap wrote (see)

Here's a good one of the mighty Tmap/CL tussle:

Cheers Tmap - epic stuff indeed!

• selbsselbs ✭✭✭

trap for young players TR i need to try harder!  At the end of the day, although i do watch my HR i know (if only to remind myself how unfit i am and how i need to do more work!) it's like you say, all i need is to keep on keeping on and build up the consistency now.

that's discipline Gobi, v nice.  So i presume the Alp D'uez is up the hairpins as well??  That definitely sounds like its all about the bike then!!

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    Gobi - the distances look good, 115k bike will ensure that you get some bike miles in !
  • selbsselbs ✭✭✭
    nice pics there Tmap/CL!
  • GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    TR/Selbs - I have to climb 4 cols and finish with Alpe d'Huez, lots of training needed
  • Barnsy I didn't bother with the xc champs, and after a quick look at the results, I dont think I ever will! I did notice one chap ran who ran the 28miler I did on the Saturday, probably not the best prep for an xc champs.

OS podcast being downloaded on my new ipod, however, being the owner of ears that don't suit head phones I can't run and listen.  And I'm obviously a bit lightwieght as I cancelled tonights run due to the weather.

• MtRMtR ✭✭✭
    Gobi: Your running seems to be going very nicely indeed.

marders: awesome!

Selbs: Patience is the key.

RWH: Not forgotten you, my brother's been off sick as well - I'll speak to him again tomorrow.

I've had a bit of a setback. Canned my runs yesterday and today, initially because of a bit of a hangover, but then because my chesty cough and muscle aches came back with a vengeance. Off work today. Feeling better again, but I obviously need to take it very easy this week.
  • Has anyone else who likes minimalist shoes noticed the sharp increase in prices?  I remember a couple of years back when you could pick up decent shoes for a little over £30.

Hilly found Asics Piranha which she thought were right up my street but they're over £70!!  Should have kept my trap shut about how good it was to run in flat shoes - now everyone wants them and the forces of capitalism inflates the price!

• Managed an easy 11km tonight ave heart rate 139 in 51 minutes...felt easy enough apart from the hip flexors and quads, they are a bit beat up from the bike ride yesterday.

I felt strong and led the group all the way back from Windsor...probably should not have been the hero. I could really feel the legs on the way into work on the mountain bike.

Gobi I am also doing a couple of tri races this year. After London I plan to do at least 2 middle distance races, 1 sprint, 1 olympic and an Ironman planned for November. Call me ambitious as I have only done 1 Olympic tri to date image

Tomorrow's plan:

2 miles easy + Hill reps 6*2 min uphill @ 10k pace, jog back recoveries + 2 miles easy

• I've been listening to some of the "marathon talk" podcasts in the last couple weeks.

Some familiar names of Sub3'ers popped up on a few of them ;~)

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    BR-have been wearing flats since 2005 and paying at least £50 quid a shot usually £60 so nothing has changed for me.

Blimey Nico nothing like the deep end and all that
  • PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

Nico - you'll be fine. When I entered the IM in 2009 I had only done a sprint at that point! Doing a half (and some century rides) in the build-up gave me a bit of confidence though.

Gobi - nice training runs! Alpe d'Huez is on my list - need to get stronger on the bike first though.

Nightmare day at work yesterday (although it was expected so not too bothered), so no training - was at my desk from 7:30am to 10:30pm (except for a trip to the shop to pick up a sandwich). Hopefully can do a fair bit for the rest of the week though - swim this lunchtime, then track and circuits this evening. Will be taking it steady on the track though after Sunday's race.