Sub 3

Comments

• JH1 Think he's off at 7.40 too - I know he's flying over so might have left already. You'll blitz him in the water, ease away from him on the bike and bury him on the run - he'll be too busy taking HR splits every 3.1243564 metres. Enjoy.

CM I was kind of hoping the experiment was over. I thought we said I was gonna keep going until I got 5bpm of drift. Well I did ;o) Must admit if it wasn't quite so public there's no way I'd have started let alone finished it last night. I do have an admission to make though I was chuffing thirsty by the end of the warm up (as in dry mouth) I guess that's not great for HR stats. Not exactly promising on the basis that's 0.4km/h off my Cardiff pace and 1km/h off my proposed Paris pace - which I think was somewhere between 158-160bpm. Must keep up these 100mile weeks there so good for progress! Got anymore de-motivational sessions I can do mate?
  • Nich2 - Thanks for the wake up call,
    Good morning all good to see that there is plenty of life in here still.
    Well returned from my two weeks off sunning and drinking loads of beers at the start of the week to find the letter from the FLM office saying that I have to enter now??? (defered). So that has been duly filled in and posted so once again committed to 4 months of solid training after Christmas. Bring it on.

The other good news is that whilst I was away I managed to start running again every other day and managed up to 40 mins at an extremely easy pace. I was surprised to see how quickly the stamina has gone BOO HOO. I hope it will return just as quick as I have my first Tri 2 weeks on Saturday.

Hope everyone is enjoying this fine weather?

Not had time to look over the last 4 pages is RB still on for Edinburgh on Sunday? It looks like it could be a hot one with temperatures in the mid twenties?
  • Odeon1085Odeon1085 ✭✭✭
    Off to London Peeps for the flight upto Scotland. Last post before race, so good luck to those at Windsor and all who are racing this weekend.

Welcome BB- Gonna P and D for Cardiff.

DN- Last 3 mile jog this morning in tropical Cheltenham. Bloody Hot. Gonna take your advice and go off lot slower and just see how it goes. CRAB's advice worked last time, so your experiences are heeded!

C u all Next Week.
  • CRAB Time a 100m sprint and enter your time into this http://run-down.com/statistics/calc.php - look only at the 'Cameron' calculation for marathon estimation. It gives me 4.5hrs+, and my basic speed is not bad in the world of decent club level distance runners.

• OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    I've clearly been hiding my potential under a bushel. According to yer man Cameron, I should be the fastest man in the world over 100 metres, 8.61 secs, based on my Okayish half marathon time. Forget sodding sub 3 hr marathons, London 2012 here I come.

Welcome new members of the forum and best of luck to RB, Odeon and MG for Edinburgh....don't forget to tell me how blidy awful running a marathon is in the blazing heat won't you. I cant cope with running in anything more than 15C but 23C!
  • CartmanCartman ✭✭✭
    JH1, you are in the same wave as me. Can I draf t off you in the swim ?? I'll be wearing my pirate gear (very gay looking) + aquashpere goggles so will be easy to spot..

Crab, it must have been the heat. Don't give up yet.
  • CM Okay you win. SeshII tomorrow am - at least it's gonna take less time as we go on. Good luck for Sunday (& JH1) but don't let the old guard down and allow the relative newcomer to the thread take your scalp.

Predictions
    RB 2:54.21 - sorry pal it's hot and you're Scottish (and it's Mara No3 in 2 months!)
    ODE 3:29 - don't know enough about you really so hope it's realistic

Have a good weekend people.
  • nichs2nichs2 ✭✭✭
    rb/ode

all the best for sunday

fell off my bike last night. feels (and looks) like i've gone 5 rounds with mike tyson...not bad for a lightweight!
  • best of luck to the Edinburghers - looks like its a day to run for your place and not for your time. time to dig out the 'foreign legion' style hats too!

the bat
  • Yup - good luck to all racers. Remember the sunscreen.
  • Gold RushGold Rush ✭✭✭
    Yep, Best of luck to the Edinburgh boys....i dont envy you at all

I wont even bother with predictions due to adverse weather conditions I'm sure it will be more about survival

C.M/JH1- Good luck at Windsor

Right home for the footy,have a good w/e all
  • JH 1JH 1 ✭✭✭
    CM

I'll be in my Farnham Tri 2 piece. Actually that sounds gay too especially when the top shows more of my belly than I would like. Hope I make enough into you in the swim. Was 1st in my wave last year out of the swim by about 30secs and wondered what was going on as that is not usual. May suffer on the bike as hardly any biking this year. Well must go to bed now to get some rest before racking tomorrow.

Come on England
  • JEJ Haven't run 100m flat out since I sprouted a (fairly unremarkable) set of NADS. Might be interesting though.

CM Guess you're a bit too busy applying goose fat or shaving your legs to be bothered right now but SeshII has now been completed. Unfortunately without about as much success as SeshI. The stats

12.5km/h W/U 141bpm
    14.2km/h
    Mile 1 154bpm
    Mile 2 158bpm
    Mile 3 160bpm
    Mile 4 163bpm
    Mile 5 165bpm
    Mile 6 167bpm
    Mile 7 168bpm
    Mile 8 169bpm
    Mile 9 170bpm
    Mile 10 171bpm

However, I have to say that at 6am with the sun beating through the double glazing (had to keep it closed have had complaints from the neighbours before about the noise at 5am!) which runs right down the side of the mill it was a might hotter than tother night when the sun was over tother side of the house and, therefore, not beating though said window. Must say that the actual effort seems a lot less than MP but the HR stats tell a very different story. Mmmm...I guess the HR says that's a relatively tough session but I feel I could go and blast 10miles (outside if it's alright with you) now - not that I will of course.
  • Argh, have I really been away that long. I'll never keep up with two threads, or is the other thread to be fazed out?

I'm still doing aimless wombling since the FLM with a suspicion of niggling injuries lurking around each corner. My last club handicap 2 miler was my slowest for several months. I think I should be a lot faster over the shorter distances anyway as my best time is only about 11:15, which is only a bit quicker than my HM pace. (I know that JEJ's sprint pace would kill me.) The only excuse I can think of is that it is basically a time-trial with no-one else in sight until the last half mile.

I'll probably enter the upcoming Dulwich 5k on the day, but I'm not expecting much. It will be a bit of a luxury though trusting the race distance with my record of 5k's. Is anyone-else here likely to be running it?

Anyway I hope all have been well and I'll go and see what I've missed on the other thread now.

• I'm tempted by Dulwich, CY. 5km is one of those distances where I've set my pb during a 10M / HM - although I'd have crossed over 5km in about 16:40 in a 3.5M race last Thursday.

If you fancy a proper 2 mile race you could do worse than head to Battersea Park on a Monday evening - it's normally won in sub 10, and last week I was in a pack of 3 going through the mile at 5:10 pace - but we all have 10 mins as a target in the near future.
  • JH1 How the fck do you manage to run so fast with webbed feet? Good work flipper.

So been doing a bit of forward thinking. The Sub3 Annual Beano to Yateley and the World Cup Semi. So one big IF has probably disappeared which was winning the group so now (potentially) it's just IF we (NDO, MJ, RB, CM etc don't get offended by the use of the word we) struggle to the semi then are the organisers really gonna start at 730 as planned? If they are (I mean they've got the bunce so no skin of their noses) then do we reset to August - I for one CNBA to go twice and aint gonna miss the footie. I know it's a long way off happening but let's have a plan B eh?
  • I might be up for the August one. Not in 10km shape at the moment though.

Well done JH1 - looking good on the bike there - keep it up (but not against me in the duathlon).
  • Hail Hail

Just back from (very) sunny Edinburgh. Conditions not too bad at the start, but the clouds burnt off by 10am, so strong sun hit hard. Temp reached approx 24-25C by midday, so pity those poor fools running 4hrs and beyond.

DN - prepare to be "amazed" as I managed 2.47.23 in 20th position (all unofficial), about 30 secs outside my pb. A hot, tough course with a lot more hills than last year, and 6M into headwinds along the Leith/Portobello coastline. Very pleased with my performance given the conditions, and recent races. Splits to follow.
    MG managed a pb by about 2mins, which I'm sure he'll tell you all about in his own good time.
    No idea about Odeon.
  • Hail Hail

Splits

1 5.57 fast start
    2 6.09 hills through Cowgate
    3 5.52
    4 5.48 hills down out of Cowgate
    5 5.51
    6 5.59 settling down
    7 5.50 downhill
    8 6.08
    9 6.03 more steady pace
    10 6.08 10M pb of 59.50!!
    11 6.16
    12 6.07
    13 6.03
    13.1 another half pb in a mara - 1.19
    14 6.13
    15 6.32 coastal headwind and hills
    16 6.16
    17 6.30
    18 6.23
    19 6.14
    21 (lost signal) 14.59
    22 6.20
    25 21.01
    26.2 8.32

A fuller review to follow
  • Whatever god answered my prayers when injured to get me to the start of the FLM was very generous, especially giving me such an unexpected good time in it, but they're having a laugh with me now. Every time I start to feel like a marathon runner again I have a silly accident. A few days ago I had a Dull moment of not lifting my feet enough and tripping into the road. Although the car whose front bumper I had a close-up view of was stationary at the time it still shook me a bit. Today I was running along the canal under a bridge and I hit my hand on a railing. It's very swollen and wouldn't stop bleeding without being glued - I believe the modern alternative to butterfly stitches(?)

JEJ - I think I ran past you today, in Narrow Street at about 9:15. Before others think I'm showing off, the person in question, JEJ or not, was only walking. I guess that concludes my JEJ stalking! Sorry that I didn't stop, but I felt awkward asking someone if they "were JEJ". The further on I got the more I thought that it was you, and wished I'd stopped, although an increasingly extreme U-turn would have been required. Also I wasn't at my best licking the blood from my hand every few metres or so!!
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    RB - Sensational, very well done.

MG - A very well done to you to.
  • RB Sensational? Not 'arf pop pickers. You didn't look it in Paris but after yesterday's performance given the conditons you sure you don't have any African heritage? Togo, Ghana, Angola, Ivory Coast - you see the theme you get to participate in the World Cup too if you pick one of them.

JEJ Not in 10k shape? So you won't break 33 minutes then. Not worth the petrol money IMHO.

SeshIII completed this time with a nice bit of cloud cover to avoid the furnace like conditions of Saturday.

W/U @ 12km/h 136bpm
    10 Miles @ 14.4km/h = Cardiff Ave Speed ~6:42per mile
    Mile 1 148bpm
    Mile 2 153bpm
    Mile 3 156bpm
    Mile 4 158bpm
    Mile 5 159bpm
    Mile 6 160bpm
    Mile 7 162bpm
    Mile 8 162bpm
    Mile 9 164bpm
    Mile 10 164bpm

So still about the same drift between miles 3-10 whatever the fck that means. Can I stop yet? (Please.)
  • Dan ADan A ✭✭✭
    Ok the mystery guest @ Edinburgh was indeed myself - sure that was pretty obvious anyway. After going public and humiliating myself at London with 3.10, I made a late decision to enter Edinburgh and do it on the quiet to see if that made a difference.

Not enough it would seem, but did manage a PB of 3.02.01 (unofficial) - a PB of about 5 mins.

I recorded all the split times, but then pressed the wrong button on the watch at the end and deleted them all. But I do remember

10m - 1.04
    Half - 1.25
    16m - 1.44
    20m - 2.13
    23m - 2.35

Struggled from 16m onwards, but still hanging in at 23 and sub-3 should have been on. But it was mostly uphill for the next two miles and my legs had taken leave of my body and I was shuffling along at 9 min/mile. Was the hills, rather than the heat that did for me. That plus the p!ss poor preparation and lack of talent/quality training due to recent injury.

Final summary - 6/10 must do better

Good to meet up with RB & the family of Bhoys. The lad's getting too good for this thread. 2.47 should tranlate into a 2.42 or better on a cool flat course in the autumn.
  • Well done RB - I reckon that's worth about 2:44:21 in better conditions.

Nice one on the pb, MG

CY You got me scared now - first drafting me for the entire London marathon (again, without introducing yourself), now this. I was also 'running' up the canals yesterday morning - tried to get out early but it was already too hot, hence succumbing to temptation of a lucozade at that shop in sLimehouse and walking for a bit to drink / let it sink in. I was then lurking around the estate agents just off Narrow Street (still flat hunting) before tackling the last 2 miles at pace... Next you'll be telling me you live around there?!

Crab right now I doubt I'd get close to 34, but aim to start upping the mileage from the end of July which I hope will have similar effects of improving speed endurace as last time (eg being able to run close to 2 x back-to-back 5km pbs).
  • nichs2nichs2 ✭✭✭
    rb,
    respect!

dan a,
    getting closer!...a bliddy good time in the conditions

13 miles total for me last week

cycle time trial 51:14....i have two huge black eyes after my fall last week
  • CartmanCartman ✭✭✭
    quick posty from me as I'm travelling (exotic newcastle this week).

Crab, stop moaning keep it up, that last one looks good, temp clearly has a big influence, plenty more in the tank, still only ~6 bpm drift there. Next stop 14.6 :-D

Good to meet you on sunday JH1, I tried looking out for you again, but failed.

Winsdor tri went well, 2:21 (10 mins faster than last year), 154th out of 1533, would have been alot better but my swimming is cack. It was pretty hot, but good practice for Germany which won't be cool. Won't steel JH1's thunder but fck me he swims like a fish.. did manage to pip him on the bike though ;-) ah, my small victories these days..

well done RB !!!! bloody great run ! Did I win the sweep ??

DanA, good result, nice bounce back ! keep plugging away, but FFS, why not try going through 1/2 way @ 1:28'ish !!!
  • Dan ADan A ✭✭✭
    CM - did try for 1.28 splits but the mile markers were pretty useless, so just ran as I felt rather than on the clock.

Mile 10 - 11 took over 8.5 mins, so I panicked and speeded up. Then mile 11-12 took just over 3 minutes - not sure whether I should be contacting the IAAF, but I fear that the markers were just placed on convenient lamp posts rather than in the correct spot. Several occasions of the chalk mile marking on the road being 500 yds away from the luminous mile marker board; made running evenly a bit tricky.
  • Hail Hail

I believe Odeon wins the sweep predicting 2mins slow for me, and 2mins fast for MG aka DanA. Still no idea how he did himself though. So sorry CM, but no bag of jelly babies for you this time around!
    Have to agree with Dan that the mile markers way WAAAY out at times. The first 6 were fine, then they sort of lost their way ending up between .15 and .25M out. At least thats what my 205 was saying. Dunno how accurate the finish was cos I'd lost the signal and it never came back. So much for new technology.
    The last 3M were little bu**ers - mostly uphill all of them. Not too hard, but enough to sap what energy you had left, and slow you down a fair bit.
    I reckon that on a REALLY flat course, and in good conditions, yesterday's performance would equate to at least a 2.42, and maybe less.
  • Time for another sweepstake for the next installment of the JEJ Monday evening 2M race section of my 'brick session'.

I'll try to replicate the hard cycle prior to the race, and also run the same 40 min steady as I did prior to my effort last week. 10:38 to beat.

JEJ - 10:26
  • Gold RushGold Rush ✭✭✭
    Morning all,

R.B-Well done mate,great time......you'll soon be enjoying the posh toilets on the championship start!

Dan-congratulations on the p.b I'm sure you'll nail the autumn mara.
    Did you see Barney do the power yesterday,i was surprised Taylor missed three darts at the double but the 97 finish under pressure was a bit special.

Crab- Keep the tests going , i might have a go at a couple myself.
    Do the neighbours complain about the noise of the treadmill or is it your heavy breathing:o))

C.M/JH1- Well done at Windsor,it certainly was a nice day for a swim!