Sub 3

Comments

• PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

PP - good luck! He has been running some pretty decent times (low-15s) at parkruns in the middle of 28M runs and during these 200M weeks. Most of his mileage seems to be quite steady though (7:xx m/m), which makes sense I guess when you're running that much.

Looking at Strava he seems to have done 219M in the weekend ending at Christmas, a daily average larger than my current weekly average.

• Hope you have a good race tonight Joolska.

200m a week? I wish. I'm guessing Marders must have had a couple of weeks off work?

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Who has time to run over 28 miles per day? Even if I didn't have to work I don't think I could fit it in around eating, sleeping and housework!

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Well, I could certainly tell I'd run 97 miles over the last 9 days (nothing for some: absolutely loads for me!). 31.05 or just inside current HM PB pace, so I guess that counts as a tempo run, albeit 30s slower than last month!
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭

That's a more than decent run after heavy recent miles Jools, nice one!

Good luck OO, hope you hit the 'A' target.

10.3m after work tonight.  My posh new head torch certainly does the trick, the local chavs seemed petrified!

The first translation of note from the Barca marathon people.  Looks like my drug habit has been rumbled..

The Maravellosos 100 meters before crossing the goal at the Zurich Barcelona marathon. What memories do you have or if your first, who do you expect to find you on meth?

• Top 25 PP. I'm happy cause I just made it in to the top 500 MV45! NYE parkrun PB did that.

Nice running Jools - certainly not plodding there & no surprise you're a bit slower than last month with the increased mileage.

Good luck OO.

Looking forward to feeling fresh Saturday. Day off tomorrow. Much needed after 159 miles since the last one 10 days ago

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

I didn't want to embarrass Marders so I only let him see me when I was on my warm-down jog.  Looked like he was ticking along nicely.  As it is, I was let off the hook from doing a harder session as a couple of guys I know were planning to do 6m/m for four laps = just under 7 miles, so I decided to join them and made it up to 10.35 miles (6 laps) @ 5:57/m. 12.5 miles total.  That'll do to ease me in, especially with the 16.5 miles round trip on the bike to get there and back.  

I can see this being a pretty tough Thursday "brick" session once I start homing in on target pace, but for now I'm happy to report sub-6 pace for double figures feeling pretty comfortable. Training's looking a bit more marathon shaped now.

• PP - Is that just a 'training group' set up by runners of various clubs?

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

I think it's a Serpies thing, but anyone free to join in. Torry and Greenleaf at the front last night!  There's A and B groups, and apart from last night's Kent AC/HHH (Sean F) splinter group, I think my aim will be to hang off the back of the A group if there are people to drag me round.

• PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

PP - that sounds like a great group. When I was in proper marathon training I had to do the faster stuff solo, which I found tough. MP runs in a group like that would be a lot less unpleasant.

Wardi - love those Barcelona translations! Also, it's a bit confusing that it's call the Zurich Barcelona Marathon, but I guess if they sponsor it that's the only sensible name.

3.5M with the dog this morning, and should be able to get out for a lunchtime 5.5M soon. That will make my biggest mileage day for a while!

• SC2/PP/Jools -- nice racing (PP -- oh no, surely you can't be a near-V45 -- I'm doomed!).

Good luck, OuchOuch.

Knowing that Bekele was attempting a world record, I listened eagerly to the Radio 4 sport snipppet but they didn't mention the Dhubai marathon of course... but nor did it get a mention anywhere on the BBC Sport web page. Annoying how little they show athletics, and how much they devote to footie, rugby, etc.

I was out for the day yesterday, hence not here and also had a day off running -- my Brass Monkey plods had a chance to fade at last, and I managed a decent 10M run to work at a touch better than 7m/M with some tempo efforts (and a rucksack). Also took some delivery of some Brooks Mach 4 today, to replace my 32-year old spikes in time for the Southerns on Parliament Hill next weekend.

• Love it Wardi.

Hope you have a good one OO.

It wasn't shown on the coverage Charlie but apparently Bekele fell at the start though ran over half the race before pulling out (hope that's not a spoiler for anyone).

• PP - Nice. There's more and more cross over between clubs in the training groups these days (quite a few HHH going to Ladywell etc..). I train with Luton and there are LBAC, Stopsley and Dunstable represented too. Sounds like a good group - although I will leave the marathon training to you if you don't mind image

CW - Got my delivery of 12 & 15mm spikes last night. At this rate it might be 12's and a couple of 15's in the front. No rain forecast up until middle of next week. Aces.

Padams - must be really frustrating not getting out to do more - knowing how well you can do on virtually no training!

• Great session PP.

OO - best of luck!

RB - long time since I've been called a whippersnapper!

• TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭

Morning sports fans!

Things have been hectic here, but coming out the other end now, thankfully. Had some family stuff to deal with, amongst other things, plus found out I was massively anaemic again (when I started having insomnia issues) - same as before in that I forgot to get more iron tablets when I ran out a few months back (my IBS means I'm prone to bouts of it anyway, but more so if my diet is rubbish, as it has been). Ended up averaging less than 20mpw, but am on iron tablets now and improving.
    Got 52m done this week, hopefully a good chunk more next week - including the SEAA xc to mark my 40th birthday (will be a long, slow, slog, I'm sure), and I'm actually going back to being coached again, so things will pick up soon no doubt.

Need to lose about 8kg to get back to race weight, so no idea what shape I'll be in come London, but with everything settling down, my final divorce papers being a few days away, and handing over responsibility/coordination to a coach, I'm excited about the path ahead.

Hopefully all are well on here and folks have had a good Christmas and New Year - have I missed anything major in the last month or so?

• Mach 4 Charlie? I'm sure they're on about Mach 18 now! I had some Mach 5s way back when. 

TT - I know the feeling with life taking over, and also with the IBS.  And I need to lose 6kg to get back to race weight. Oh, and I also have a birthday next week, although I'm 2 years behind you. Slightly spooky. Lets hope we both get to where we want to be for London. 

20 miles for me today, not ideal the day before the Midland Masters XC Champs, but the marathon is the main target. I was Ploddy McPlodface for no real reason I can put my finger on. I was also cold. I never warmed up through the whole thing. 

• TT, good to see you back!

CC2 - a slower 20 might mean a better performance at the XC tomorrow - good luck.

• Gran Canaria marathon done and dusted. Bittersweet. 3.00.14. Better than expected BUT....
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Oooh, I know what you mean, Ouch: that is sooo close...!  But take the positives, given what your expectations were ahead of the race.  Looking forward to the full report.

Tough day for me at the Farnborough Half.  I've never done a MP half this early on in a build up, nor have I ever done a MP half when I've done a tempo run on the Thursday before, so I'm hoping that explains 1.26.45 (6.37m/m) when I'd hoped for 1.25 or faster (6.30m/m).  Cut back week next week: hoping that does me the world of good.  Humph.

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭

Decent paced run anyway Jools, don't underestimate mid-marathon training tiredness happening occasionally too.  Did I also read elsewhere that it was bliddy cold?

Ouch Ouch.. oof!  Still close enough for a medium sized cigar I reckon.  Cracking effort, shows you've still got a potential sub 3 in you for a future date.

CC2.. kudos for getting that cold 20 miler done.  Hope the XC went well.

Very cold here too but calm conditions so got in 18.3 miles for the marathon campaign.  Legs weary after a busy mileage week so pleased to get it done. 

• I feel your pain Ouch Ouch.

I think that Thursday's tempo run may have had a lot to do with today's result Joolska.

Do you feel over whatever was still ailing you last weekend Wardi?

• Ouch, Ouch Ouch. That is harsh, but congratulations on a great marathon performance.

Jools, same as what LMH said. Also as you alluded to, MP runs this early in the campaign are not an indicator of MP on the big day.

16M for me brings the cutback week to an end. Decent bit of speed in there, 6:52 average for the final 8 miles.
  • 5 seconds? Ouch indeed. 

My legs were understandably heavy today and the uphills were painful, but I still managed to win the V35 category (not the whole race though, there were some speedy 40s and 45s ahead) and we also took team gold. I've won so many medals and trophies these last three weekends that you'd be forgiven for thinking I'm in decent shape. I'm not. I've just been lucky with the (lack of) competition. I think it might start to come together in another 2 - 3 weeks time. 65 miles done this week.

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

CC2 - Don't knock the bling!  Well done!  More importantly, good mileage. Enjoy the return of fitness.

Ouch - Oof! 

Jools - Good effort, since it was blimmin' freezing as well.

I've clocked up 94 miles this week with a lot of quality and I'm feeling pretty damned good. This morning's effort was 20 miles incl. a planned 10 miles @ 6m/m with a group. (7 warm-up, 10 tempo, 3 cool-down.) I felt my metronome was in good working order after Thursday (where I ran 10M @ 5:57 already) so I volunteered to do the pacing. A couple of keen guys overtook me in the last 2/3 miles, otherwise I stuck to the task and knocked out 10 miles @ 5:59 relatively comfortably. Job done.  Right shoe lace was undone for the last 3.5 miles. D'oh!

• Blimey PP, not sure I'd have had the nerve to run those last 3.5 miles without stopping to tie the lace! Great quality long run and good to see the metronome is ship-shape. One thing I've noticed with the last few weeks of higher-than-usual mileage is how much less I'm looking at my Garmin than I used to. I've definitely tuned in more to my body, and running by feel. Maybe an accurate metronome is the next evolutionary step!

• Don't worry about it jools, it wasn't an A race so you shouldn't read too much into it.

On the bright side OO, at least you've got one to bring up in conversation whenever anyone moans about 'just missing' sub 3 with a 3:02.

Some decent long runs going on there.  Mine was a bit less, under 2 miles as a first run since NYD, just as a post-injury tester.  Seems OK, but I'll be ramping up slowly - I'd rather get to Boston after a less than ideal but continuous build-up than try to get back too quickly and end up needing another break. 

• CC2 -- nice result in the XC! And you're absolutely right, a senior moment -- they're Mach 18s. And (SC2) just taken delivery of some 15mm spikes for them, too. (Maybe 18mm would be better if it's anything like last year's bogfest though.)

TT -- glad to hear you're getting sorted. I've been chugging iron tablets (and haven't been giving blood any more) since last year when my iron was found to be rather low. Maybe that, rather than anything I've done training-wise, gave me some modest performance benefits in fact. See you guys on Parliament Hill perhaps!

OuchOuch -- ouch! I hear it was a bit windy, and re-merging with the half marathon slowed things up a bit, so you wuz robbed of a sub-3.

Well done anyway Jools, as I said on FB a Thurs evening race would still affect me on Sunday morning for sure.

In bleak contrast to PP's unstoppable form, I had horrendous plods for my 20M yesterday (9:15/M!) having done 22M in my commutes on Fri and another 9M or so in bits on Sat. My legs are still rubbish now, but I'll have tomorrow off and then get back to it on Weds. Getting the plods totally limits my training, and I still don't really understand them.

• CW- oh contraire! The local spies at PH tell us it's as dry as they've seen it. I'm probably going for 12mm though. The top towards the end of the lap is always dry ish, don't fancy that in 15's.

Not training for a marathon, main target of the year is the V45 1500 at the masters in Aarhus in July, so 15 max for my LSR at the moment just to keep the strength there. Hilly route in just over 7mm, so happy with that.
  • Race Report : Gran Canaria Marathon Target: 3.05 Runtime 3.00.14 45th

Backstory: After running 2.5X marathons at ease from 2005-2007, since my PB of 2:52 in 2007 my best time have been two 3.07.21 in 2016 with the background fear this is as good as its going to get. But training has been going well.

Sunshine and warmth greeted the runners o Sunday and at 8.30 am off the 1400 marathoners and 2,300 half marathoners went in a blaze of colour and noise. The race was 80/20 male and very international with half the field from overseas. A one lap course around the city of Las Palmas and south down the coast. Very well supported from the locals.

41 mins for first 10K

42 mins for 2nd

42 mins for 3rd

45 mins to get to 40k from 30K

But In with a shot of an unexpected shot at a sub 3 here, but I was slowing as fatigue and the increasing warmth kicked-in. My thighs had tightened.

At 40K, had around 9.30 minutes to do the 2.2 km stretch along the boisterous and well supported promenade along Los Canteras beach (a it like London)...picked up the pace but just not enough but did sprint to the the line, to see a runner 3 ahead throw his arms up in delight with his sub 3 and a runner 10 seconds behind collapse over the line and off on a stretcher - drained. I have analysed where I could have saved those 15 seconds, and there were chances, when had to stop when 'blinded' by a wave of energy drink in my eyes, when we rejoined the half marathoners and spent 5 km running through them. But overall really happy with the time, the few days away and confident of sub 3'ing in Manchester in April. Winners were some Kenyans in 2.13!
  • Great report OO, and it all looks good for Manchester.