Sub 3

Comments

• CharlieWCharlieW ✭✭✭
    Padams -- great stuff pacing that marathon, especially as you've not been doing any really long runs. Impressive parkrun, too.

TR -- the problem with doing my last big run 6 weeks out is that I think the adaptations from it would be wearing off by race day; and it doesn't take me anything like that long to recover from them. (Hope your calf is OK by the way.)

Joe -- I enjoyed the report!

I have actually entered the Meridian 100km on 21 May now, which is also the UK championships. It will be a real step into the unknown for me -- but I'm probably overdue to try something a bit new and risky. It makes me rather schizophrenic training-wise though, as I'd normally do a proper taper for Wings for Life (this Sun), but now I've got an eye on both races I'm a bit conflicted. So I did a 'swift half' this morning before jogging to work to make it a big miles day reminiscent of marathon training, but will probably take tomorrow off and then do little taper runs; then WfL will effectively be a big training run for the 100km two weeks later. I know they're too close to each other (agree with you here TR!) and VLM to be optimal, but at least I should have a fair stab and learn from my first experience of attempting the 100k.
  • OuchOuch - luckily she's also a runner and we're in fact already doing Amsterdam. Just fancy another one and never been to Valencia..

Padams - nice parkrunning and excellent pacing duties - sounds like you really helped him out on the day and I'm sure he really appreciated having you there. A much deserved day off.

A couple of easier runs for me today before a trail race on Wimbledon Common tomorrow evening. 
  • Joe - Loved the report, thanks for sharing.
    Dan - Great stuff, pleasing and frustrating in equal measures.
    CW - I agree with TR, get that long run done sooner rather than later, I'm tempted by the 50K but think it's a step too far at the moment.  shame is wasn't 5 months ago....
    Hi Tr, glad to hear things are progressing.
    Great pacing job Padams, hope the dog is ok.
    LMH - How are you feeling?
    CD - you are a machine.

20 yesterday, aerobically I'm strong but my legs are letting me down.  Need to toughen them up quick smart.

• Little M.iss HappyLittle M.iss Happy ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Loved the blog post Joe. Proper made me smile.

Stuart - that's a bit how I felt at London, engine was great but legs fooked. Things are improving by the day thanks. Managed ten miles this morning and it's getting faster every day too. I just have to keep pushing the boundaries and hoping I don't get to the place where the knees swell up again. Getting out of bed this morning was better than yesterday though so I think they are responding well to not being mollycoddled. Would like a crack at some more ultras myself but probably not a good idea now.

Charlie - how about your last really long (26 miles or more) run three weeks out from marathon day then just a 20 (max) two weeks out?

Has anyone run the Robin Hood marathon? Thinking of it as an autumn alternative to Abingdon.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • CharlieWCharlieW ✭✭✭
    LMH> Charlie - how about your last really long (26 miles or more) run three weeks out from marathon day then just a 20 (max) two weeks out?

Bingo, that is precisely what I did (and usually do). I have no concern that running 26 at T-3 weeks at a training pace is detrimental, but I would be concerned that doing my last one at T-6 weeks would mean the benefits would have worn off a lot by race day. Actually even 2 weeks out would probably be fine for my last 26.

I did a total of 27M yesterday, which I am quite sure is detrimental to Wings for Life this Sunday, but will hopefully remind my muscles about fat-burning endurance for the 100K. Rest today though, I'm trying to have all of my cakes and eating them so I still plan a mini-taper for WfL.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    Joe - A runner as the OH, dream ticket.
    CW - Don't know how you do it. I ran 8m yesterday with 4 at what I think is MP and the legs were certainly rebelling.
    LMH - show those legs whose boss.
    SL - Like the 20m, your smart must be my supersmart.
    TR - when you re-use those safety pins suspect it will be emotional and also supersweet.

Exeter marathon booked for May 23 - so tapering again.  A very un-London like experience, maybe 150 runners on paths around the river and most likely the debut to use my Garmin and its running partner feature to pace me round, as last year ran 20 miles  on my own just passing 3 other runners and a few ducks/ swans, felt like a Sunday morning long run. So if you have any tips on this, fire them my way.  
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    Make that Sunday 21st...I should also mention its very laid back, so if I turn up it could well be the 23rd when they decide to start it, very Devon.
  • I can't hit MP in training when my legs are working OuchOuch so no chance at the minute! You don't need a virtual pacer, run to feel. Still considering Yeovil? I reckon that if I don't break again I could make it.

Charlie - even with my superhuman powers of recovery (ok, I'm alright for an old woman) I know that 20 miles two weeks out would hinder my race. How about an experiment - move them all back a week so the 26 is four weeks out and the 20 three. I hope you don't mind but your split personality training (work harder/taper) does make me smile.
  • PadamsPadams ✭✭✭
    Talking of recovery, did anyone see that Marigold did a 20M run on the Tuesday after VMLM, then another one on the Wednesday. And he didn't exactly jog around London. Tuesday was "slow" (6:5x m/m), Wednesday a bit quicker. Will be interesting to see how he does at Comrades...

Just a couple of short runs today - legs feel a little bit tight but not bad considering.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    LMH - As this run, recovery, taper, run as been the pattern for 2017 so far, my legs seem to have adjusted. Yeovil is a possibility...I did run it as my comeback marathon in 2015. My fear with 'run to feel' in the Exeter/ Devon countryside is I would very much feel like an ice-cream and a good lie down. Saying that not sure if I can stand for 2 hrs 50 or so a watch that goes beep every 6-7 minutes or so.   
    Padams - That's the kind of recovery I can only dream of...and wake up sweating...(suspect you could do that recovery though).  
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Marigold also did the Dorset marathon on Sunday, going by Facebook posts!

5 miles at 8.14m/m this morning. The fastest I've run since VLM...
  • OuchOuch - would you recommend Yeovil?

Do you have any races planned Padams?

What's next for you Joolska?
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    LMH - Mmm. If you need to run a marathon in June in the South West then yes. Well organised, friendly, 2 lap country lane route around the airfield, flat.  Not that many will run it, say 200 of whom maybe 10 will go under 3 hours.  If you do run it you will win the woman's race as in previous years winner was 3:12/ 3:14. So I am on the fence.  
    7.5 miles progressive run tonight, made me realise how tough it is running 7 mm. Rest day tomorrow.  
  • Is it a course for a good time OuchOuch?
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    LMH - I would say so, as mostly very flat.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    LMH: main targets are a 5000m in July, 10k early Sept and then Cardiff half early Oct. Would love to get under 80 min! 
  • PadamsPadams ✭✭✭
    LMH - main events over the next few months are:
    - Midweek summer league (10k generally) starting next week, 5 fixtures over May/June
    - Ride London 100 in July (got a team of 4 of us)
    - Bearbrook 10k in August
    - possibly 12 hour race in September (need to build up some brownie points probably!)

Jools - yes, he paced another runner around and shared the win in 2:42 IIRC. He's doing the Wings for Life thing that CW is doing this weekend (but he's doing it in California), then a few weeks to Comrades which is his A race I believe.
  • SL - no problem. As I mentioned when I initially posted I've been ready for ages and have to say your treadmill run was incredible. Belated congrats.

Jools/padams - sounds like some good targets there. 

LMH - I think you should do Yeovil ;)

I did race 1 of 3 in the Wimbledon trail series last night. No specific focus on these, just good training, so jumped on the bike for 25 miles in the morning.

5 miles, undulating with some nasty little inclines, lots of narrow twisty-turny paths. Was nice to forget pace and just race whoever was there. Ended up in a right battle with a chap from Fulham RC in the last mile, thought I'd cracked him with 800m to go before he started edging back in the closing stages, just held him off but I was absolutely spent at the end. 5th place @ 5.50mm. 

• Thanks OuchOuch. Guress it could be wind affected as round the airfield?

I think I might Joe! Need to persuade dearly beloved that he doesn't mind a weekend at his parents, an early start, waiting around for a few hours and then driving us home though. Nice racing. I'd love to see a mile beginning with a 5............

Lots of shorter stuff for both Joolska and Padams them. Have you done Ride London before Padams?

12 whole miles this morning. Only one knee now taped (though it's the other one making very loud noises doing the stairs) and the average pace is coming down (though it's still quite slow - 7.33). May enter a local 10k that's next Sunday.
  • CharlieWCharlieW ✭✭✭
    Thanks Jooligan, I think I must have seen that before (cited by my clubmate guru Christof I suspect). It ties in with my preference for a 2-week marathon taper.

OuchOuch -- my top tip would be don't get lost! It sounds like the kind of event where you may have to navigate a bit. I prefer to follow a pre-plotted wiggly line on my Garmin on such occasions, which save one from any great disaster.

LMH -- you're right, I'm superimposing training for one thing on a taper for another in ridiculous fashion :-). Incidentally, I remember Marigold PBing at London after (I think) doing a 35M training run the weekend before, when he was really in training for 100K. Though as Padams points out his powers of recovery are rather good...

Well raced there Joe.

I am mainly tapering now: a little tune-up of 1.5M @ MP and a few hill reps in a 5M run this morning, after a rest day yesterday. Just a little further than I'd have gone if I didn't have another race on the horizon.

• LS21LS21 ✭✭✭
    Ow do,

Glad to see people are well and recovering nicely from the Marathon exploits.

Great to see TR posting! Your ears must have been burning on VLM day, cos your name was mentioned quite a few times at the Red Lion. Glad you're well, and getting a few miles in.

Dan/CD - top work at Richmond. 2 cracking times given the week(s) preceding, and a nice bit of pot-hunting. Splendid.

CW - absolutely crackers. I'd expect nothing less :smile:

OO - glad the calf seems ok. Likewise LMH - glad you're getting back to it a bit.

SL - nice LSR. Not sure what you're training for actually? You doing another mountain ultra in Summer?

padams - nicely done at MK! Sounds like you did a cracking job re the pace-making.

Joe - well raced yesterday. Sounds like a grandstand finish!

Not much happening here TBH. 10 days or so of rest and my leg doesn't feel that much better. I bit the bullet and went to see the physio on Tue. Complete waste of money. The prognosis was my back is tight and hamstrings really tight. No shit Sherlock. £42 down the pan. Still getting really bad nerve pain in spite of rest and lots of stretching. Tempted to go and try a few miles later on actually, just to see how it feels. Am currently about 3 stone heavier than I was on VLM day! All my willpower re cake, choc, ice-cream etc has gone for a burton so I'd best get back to doing something.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    LS21 - 3st in 10 days impressive nevertheless....did you have one of these..

About your back, see an osteopath.
    Image result for worlds largest chocolate bar
  • LS21LS21 ✭✭✭
    OO - pretty much yes!! :smiley:  TBH I'm a bit black and white. So it's either organic carrot sticks, coconut water and chia seeds or full-on Stag Do mode. I don't seem to have a moderation option. Still, a bit of an enforced rest is no bad thing. I proper beasted myself since Xmas in prep for the Mara. Would have paid off with a PB too if I'd not ran like a complete tool for the first 10 miles!! Oh and I took the plunge re the osteo too - off there at 8:30am in the morning. Hoping for a Lazarus-style recovery where I walk out of there pain-free, and then smash out a sub-14'00 parkrun on Saturday. Seems fairly plausible I reckon. And if not, there'll be a fridge-full of pork pies and about 50 litres of ice-cream to go at once I get back to work. Smashing.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭

:D 14 minutes??  I suspect Melton Mowbray and Ben & Jerry's will win the day.

OO.. re the Valencia entry, I got an email from them advising.. 'do not worry, send the absent information from your inscription to add please'.  Nuff said, all booked & paid for.  Just need to persuade LMH & Joe to come too. Speaking of whom good to see you're managing some miles without falling to bits LMH, hope the knees & everything hang together.

Nice racing Joe!

• I hope you get your miracle LS21.

I couldn't possibly intrude Wardi but nice of you to think of me:-)
  • LS21 - You fat shed, is the parkrun down hill? if so sub 14 is a cert.  I've a 50 miler in June, then off to run the UTMB route with Dan in July then the OCC (55K in the alps with 3500metres of ascent) in August.
    Wardi - sorely tempted to test the water with the wife re: a weekend in Valencia but I'm 99% sure what her response will be.
    CW - Goodluck at the Wings for Life.

In a bid to toughen up my legs, I decided to run a 5.5am +17.2pm double yesterday followed by 5.30am 17 this morning into work, a lovely headwind made it extra hard.  I'm so excited for my 5 miler later, I imagine the pace could be a personal worse.  Fortunately, I'm refuelling this evening with curry and beer.

• Joe Blogs-BRJoe Blogs-BR ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    SL - wow, that's some hardcore running. The curry and beer will certainly have been earned! Any method behind the slightly random distances, if you don't mind me asking?

Wardi/SL - the good news is, I received a subtle hint this morning that the girlfriend is taking care of Valencia for my birthday after my not so subtle hints about wanting to do it (we each organise a trip away to a race each year, sometimes as part of birthday celebrations). So it looks like it might be an Amsterdam/Valencia double. Just the small matter of the Outlaw and Ironman Wales first!

CW - good luck in WFL. I'll look out for you in the results, got a few mates running although they won't be anywhere near you I suspect. 

A 20-minute FTP test on the bike for me this morning (am I allowed to say that on here..?), will have an easy jog tonight, then I fancy a hit-out at parkrun tomorrow, would love a sub-17 (best is 17.12 set the week before London - that was a solo TT though). 

Happy Friday everyone!
  • Joe - Amsterdam & Valencia after the other two would be an impressive set.  I did IMW after Outlaw a few years ago and there wasn't a chance of a half decent autumn marathon after that.  Your powers of recovery seem pretty decent though if you can go sub 17 tomorrow - I'll be happy with 18-something!

Good luck with WfL CW, expecting good things.

• OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    Wardi - Get in there.  I am staying in the Serranos area, around mile 24.  I had an email too saying my target time is  2.44 - good if slightly foolhardy of them. Vamos! Looks lke  welcome aboard Joe, I think TT and DanA are running. C'mon SL / LMH/ others you know you want to. One life and all of that.
    SL - I love running so early doors, albeit for about 5 or 6 miles though. Impressive.
    LS21 - I hope the osteo does the trick for you.  My sister in law is one and a GB rower and advises runners to use free standing weights to improve core strength. I do a 3 minute sess daily. Food wise, like a saint, keep on staring at an enormous pack of M&Ms but the good devil on my shoulder says 60 calories/1 second. Resisting for now. Post Exeter ave it.
    CW - Have a great race tomorrow.
    Joe - Sub 17 would be fantastic. I did a few Oly tri's last year, loved them - I think they really help marathon running. 'May' try a Half IM sometime this year.
    Does anyone listen to Running Commentary?  http://podtail.com/podcast/running-commentary/ I got a mention in todays at 1:06:08 - so proud!