Sub 3

Comments

• Race JaseRace Jase ✭✭✭
    Too stuff OO and Dan. 

LMH. I did have a bit of coke at the aid stations and was fine with it. As well as the calorie aspect I think my salt balance was out, so will definitely use electrolytes next time! Heart rate was drifting ever higher which is likely due to be a reduction in plasma volume.

To be fair, with hindsight I think my fitness was probably only worth a 6:45 on the day. Things haven't been great since my virus pre-london so know I wasn't in absolute peak form. I believe I will be able to run around 6:30 at some point in the future if I can really nail one!
  • Dan ADan A ✭✭✭
    RJ - I've seen many of the best ultra runners in the world reduced to stretcher cases and DNFs. It's no reflection on ability to hit a wall; purely an indication of how hard you've pushed it on the red line. You'll undoubtedly learn and come back stronger. 
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    RJ - So impressed with how you raced and more so your sangfroid and calmness in your response as the race didn't go to plan A.  Looks sure you will nail one very soon.  Congratulations on what was a great performance for the best part of 83K, you would won my marathon in Exeter and many others on Sunday by a country mile.  I don't think you need bigging up but that's the fact.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017

OO.. nicely done on another sub 3 & quite a nice prize to come.

Decent training marathon DanA, when's the next 'A' race?

Hats off to you Jase & Charlie.  As others have said a new experience for you both, I know a chap who does a lot of ultras and his fortunes are predictably mixed!

Good effort in the relay Joe, must be quite a task getting that organised.

Nice win in the 3k Padams & good miles on the bike.

LMH.. enjoy the hols and the runs while you're there.

Not too much to report here.  Building the miles up gradually & managed to win my age group at the Park Run for the first time in a while (little victories Vol.2!).  Times are coming down too which is encouraging.

• CharlieWCharlieW ✭✭✭
    Nice casual marathon performance there Dan, well done.

Well done on your relay stages too Joe, I'd be useless trying to run a second one hard.

CD -- gadzooks you're right. OK, 2nd *M*V40 :-). And what's more, the woman who won was a V45 like me -- she's a bit damned good. Second woman was just seconds behind me too, and I ran for a while with Al_P's sister-in-law who got him into running, earning a friendly caution from a marshall/official about not pacing her (something that hadn't occurred to me).

LMH -- the field was tiny (50+ registrations, 47 starters, 37 finishers) so no 2nd MV40 prize. Food-wise I maybe should have tried some of the small soft cheese and ham wraps they had on offer, which I enjoyed only after finishing. Though I don't really know if I'd have done any better at getting more nutrients in.

RJ -- as I've said elsewhere, you were looking so strong for most of the race, and it was great fun being able to say hello as we passed. In fact the whole event was incredibly friendly, swapping encouragement with other entrants and aid station people, and lots of fun banter afterwards, and at the prizes, and later in the bar. Maybe that's an ultra thing -- more cooperative spirit in the face of adversity, etc. Not that I find shorter races unfriendly, but this seemed much more so.

Padams -- interesting point on run/walking. Tried it once long ago in a training ultra, but it was inconclusive really. I recall PP was experimenting with it at one point. And congrats on the 3000m win!

Wardi -- nice to hear the parkruns and training are going nicely, and thanks!

Legs felt totalled when I got up, but loosened after cycling to work. No running planned for the rest of this week! I did enter a local half in 2 weeks which I might or might not race -- I won it last year but my legs could do without the hammering of really going for it I think.
  • LS21LS21 ✭✭✭
    Hello all,

A good weekend for the thread by the looks! Some cracking performances.

OO -
    well done at Exeter. An excellent series of Marathon results you've posted there. And I know what you mean re finding it tough if you're on your own. I ended up running entirely on my own from about mile 4 to 20 at Abingdon last year which was a challenge, especially as it was quite breezy in places. So well done on keeping it going!

CW - that's a great result/performance considering the hard Marathon and Wings for Life in the build up. You've done well there!

Likewise RJ - knowing how you tend to learn from races, I fully expect you to smash the next one out of the park. Out of interest are you still on a Vegan diet? Not that that would have affected Sunday's result much. I was just curious to see if you were still following it, and how you found it a few weeks down the line.

Dan - nicely done at Richmond! 

Joe - well ran (and well organised) at the Green Belt. Sounds like a great event!

padams - good work at the 3k, and nice cycling miles too. A solid weekend's activity there.

LMH - hope you're having a nice time in Cornwall. I did a fair bit of running on the Camel Trail when I was on holiday there a few years ago. Nice spot to run!

wardi - top parkrunning! Good to see you getting a bit of speed back in the old limbs! 

Not much to report here. Still not running. I had a couple of days of doing nothing at all and it seemed to settle a bit, but not massively. So been doing lots of stretching over the past two days and if anything it feels worse. Does seem a much more localised pain now though - right at the top of of my hammy (the instertion point) and then down the inside of my thigh. The pain down my thigh is now the main issue. So I'm still not sure what's happening. More rest really. I've ran out of money re paying to see people anyway, but I've managed to get in to see an NHS physio next week and she's a runner, so we'll see if that sheds any light. Just need to be patient I suppose - I'm sure it will be ok soon! 

• LS21 - hope the NHS comes good for you.

Wardi - glad to hear that things are improving.

Charlie - I found ultra runners to be very friendly. I don't see how you can get into trouble pacing someone if you are both entered in the race?
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • CharlieWCharlieW ✭✭✭
    LS -- I totally feel for you, so hope it clears up soon. Good job on getting referred to the NHS physio. I had a bad experience with a private osteo when I had a bad back (ended up feeling more beaten up having paid them to treat me) and did much better when I saw an NHS physio who gave me some sensible exercises instead.

LMH -- I think the issue is a woman getting an advantage from other men, as Paula Radcliffe did way back when for her "world best". I think they were only worrying about it because it was the official national championship. Al's sister-in-law seemed to know about it as a risk, but that it would only ever be the woman who'd get DQ'd -- but I'd be wracked with guilt if that happened of course! I remember having an already-compromised run in a half marathon once where I found myself near the leading woman, so I tried to help her into the wind deliberately, not knowing it might be perceived as cheating in some way (but I wasn't strong enough that day, she passed me after a bit anyway).
  • LS21LS21 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    That would be the greatest disqualification ever! DQd for using Charlie (who's stick thin and weighs about 4 stone) as a wind-break!! :smiley:  
  • There's a few sports people been caught using Charlie, LS.
  • LS21LS21 ✭✭✭
    Haha indeed yes!
  • Race JaseRace Jase ✭✭✭
    LS21 - I was following a vegan diet quite strictly until the carb depletion stage but even then didn't eat meat, just eggs and dairy. Following a plant based diet made me feel great in so much that I didn't miss meat at all. And for a former fan of a meat pie, steak and chips and all things meaty that was a big surprise! I am having a week off the veganism this week, just as a post-race binge (albeit still largely vege) but intend to go back plant-based when I get back into proper training next week. 
  • PadamsPadams ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    RJ - interesting about the vegan diet. I don't think I could manage that, I like meat too much and don't really like any vegetables!

LS - localised pain is a slight improvement I guess as at least you can pinpoint the problem.

Not much to report from me, just some easy running. Next 10k fixture this evening, so could be quite warm. I'll be soundly beaten by my mate again but hopefully can bag another 2nd place. My fastest time on this course is 33:1x over about 5 attempts, so something around that would be decent.
  • CharlieWCharlieW ✭✭✭
    CD/LS -- :smiley:

Go well, Padams.

My legs feel OK now, but then they always do until I try and run. Might jog to work tomorrow as my first rehab.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    Expecting another sparkling performance Padams.
    Had the pleasure of going for a run with LMH this morning, as she is having a holiday with her OH in a very sunny Cornwall.  Great to have some running company. Tempted to go for a another little run later.
    LS - Fingers crossed for you.
    Booked hotel for me and my friend for Munich,  which apparently is very good for food and beer - result.
    Wardi - good to hear your ticking over well, mileage increasing and the reward of a parkrun age cat win - nice work.
  • Race well Padams.

I really enjoyed the company OuchOuch - hope you felt that you managed to get a word in edgeways:-) I made it up to fifteen for the day and Mark and I had a walk into Padstow and back too (for the obligatory ice cream - me - and pasty - him).
  • Dan - great training marathon.
    RJ - you are a massive failure, no doubt you'll come back stronger.  I remember outside the red lion in 2013 when you said you didn't think marathons were for you (I think you ran 2.29) a year later you ran 2.22.  So no doubt you'll come back stronger.  
    CW - As CRAB would say "reasonable", rest up, what you have done in the last month is incredible.
    LS - fingers crossed the injury is clearly up.
    Padams - have a good race.
    OO -That's a cracking run at Exeter.

Ticking over, did my usual 17mile Thursday/Friday morning double, legs grumbled from start to finish but then again running 45 miles in 2 days will do that.

• PadamsPadams ✭✭✭
    SL - 45M in 2 days, nice!

I'll give myself a 7 out of 10 for last night. A bit of a funny race - there were a couple of fastish guys there as well as my mate and from the start they had a gap on me. I had decided to start a bit slower this time so just ran on my own for the first 2k (6:33), and I gradually reeled them in by 3k, helped by my mate slowing as he saw I wasn't with them and the other 2 were just tracking him. The other 3 did a couple of surges between 3k and 5k, gapping me both time but then I pulled them back by just running a consistent pace. 5k was 16:35ish.

At about 5.5k my mate took off and the other 2 tried to go with him (I didn't!). He dropped them and I thought I might be able to work back to them. They had about 10s on me at 7k. By 8k it was more like 6s and approaching 9k it was probably about 4s. But then I suddenly felt dizzy/lightheaded at 9k even though I had been feeling reasonably good up to that point. It only lasted a few seconds but knocked me back a bit and by the time we got to the lap of the cricket pitch at the end I was too far back and eased off. Finished in 33:22 so a small positive split, and about 10s slower than my best time on that course - probably could have done 33:15 just by not jogging the last 500m.

I felt much less tired afterwards than after the previous one, and much better this morning, so obviously I ran it slightly easier and/or paced it better.
  • Just thought I would pop in and say hullo.

Nice to see lots of the old crew still on (went back a couple of pages).

CharlieW.  Wow - mid 120s HR my recovery runs are 10 more than that.  Not sure a sprint was needed to make the start in an 8hr race :).  Top effort tho, especially for a first 100k'er. Can't imagine feeling as bad as you describe with 20miles left!
    DanA, not what you want at the end of a marathon.
    OO - Gratz and nice trophy
    Race J - Great effort, and amazing pace.

Had quite long period without injury (touches wood) and after a frustrating 6months of not actually seemingly running better seemed to have turned a corner the last couple of months so hoping for a reasonable run (and some cooler weather) a week on Saturday at the Viking Coastal marathon. 

• CharlieWCharlieW ✭✭✭
    Fine racing there Padams, sorry about the funny turn near the end though.

SL -- 45 is not an obvious multiple of 17, but is certainly impressive (I guess you're doing 17+5.5 doubles or something).

Hi KD, hope that marathon goes really well. On the HR front, mine tends to be ridiculously low (145 at MP, 165 maximum), though I've had some odd artefacts in a couple of big races I'm slightly concerned about where it appears to have gone stupidly higher -- am looking into that.

Jogged about 3M to work at only just better than 10m/M and my calves weren't happy (they were before I started running). Will I never learn? (I always try and run a couple of days too early after a big marathon or similar, it seems.)
  • CharlieWCharlieW ✭✭✭
    In other news, does anyone want a free place for the York marathon on 8th Oct? I picked one up as part of my vet prize last year, but I'm doing Chester instead so I won't use it. Official entries are closed, so I'm not 100% sure if it will work, but send me a message if you want it and you can give it a go at least. I did ask and it is OK to transfer it to someone elese.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭

They still had places available for York until recently Charlie, though it is sold out now.  If I hear of anyone local after a place I will let you know.  I might even chew it over myself as it's 6 weeks before my 'A' marathon race in Valencia.  I know you would approve of a full distance training run (O:

Went for a heat acclimatisation run this afternoon, 11.3m in the hottest part of the day.  Tomorrow looks cool & wet however.  A couple of clubmates ran the Edinburgh marathon this morning and said it was a bit muggy. 

• It was muggy as well today at the vitality 10k around London. I was in on a free club place, probably the best race deal going. I haven't run much at all since the Richmond half, and what little I've done has been pretty ropey, so I wasn't expecting much.  I was lucky enough to find that sweet spot at the start, far enough back to avoid getting lured into a fast start by the quick guys, but far enough back that there wasn't too much weaving to do.  I deliberately tried to keep things in reasonable check in the first few km, and I didn't bother looking at splits until halfway, which was around 18:30 or so.  I've had real problems in the second half of this in the past, but today felt a bit better, helped by the easier early pace I guess.  I checked splits for a second time at 9k, looking for something around 34 to get me a 37:xx finish, and was surprised to see 33:01.  Cue hitting the last of the gas down birdcage walk for a 36:34 finish, equalling my best since hitting 50.  No idea where that came from but I'll take it!
  • Well done Dave!
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    Some super 10k racing Padams and CD. Well done to you both, you make it sound so easy.  Just ticking over here with daily 4 or 5 mile easy runs waiting for a mojo fire-up.  No racing until mid August so bring-on some solid non-pressurised training.   

• Nice racing last week Padams - hope the dizziness is nothing to be concerned about?

Wardi - I was up in Edinburgh as I'll mention shortly, I thought conditions were perfect, the days leading up to it were much warmer. Good to see you're getting the heat acclimatisation in early, I think we'll definitely be in Valencia also!

CD - great work yesterday, an excellent time on what I've heard can be quite a congested course at time? Very impressive.

I was up in Edinburgh for the half-marathon this weekend, having spent last week having a little holiday in Aviemore. I'm still in the depths of ironman training so a 5 hour hilly bike ride on the Friday followed by a brisk run immediately after left me feeling absolutely shattered and I was considering not running on Sunday or just jogging around.

Of course, we know what happens when you pin on a number, and come 8am Sunday morning I was raring to go. Decided to throw caution to the wind, going through 5km in 17.52 and 10km in 36 flat. Knew from there if I could hold things together I'd be happy with the result.

Ended up with 76:53, good enough for 34th place and a 3 minute PB (although I think my half PB was soft based on my 2.42 in London). Very happy with that off the back of a big week of training. Now if only I could swim properly.

Hope everyone enjoyed the bank holiday.  
  • PadamsPadams ✭✭✭
    CD - very nice negative split. Sounds like you could have gone a bit quicker so you must be in decent shape.

JoeB - no, I don't think it's anything to worry about. It was pretty warm that evening (about 23C during the race) so probably just overheating slightly. Very nice HM there given the lack of taper, and I agree it probably brings your HM roughly into line with your marathon time (2xHM + 8 mins).

I had a really nice long weekend, enjoyed spending quite a bit of time with mini-Padams. I also managed to fit in some solid training - Saturday morning I did 15M as 2M at 6:55s, 2M hilly tempo at just under 6s, 1.5M at 6:45s, parkrun in 17:22, 2.4M at 6:50s, 2M at 5:45s and 2M at 7s. All done continuous with no breaks and it was pretty warm towards the end - felt quite good for some reason.

Then Sunday I did 45M on the bike on my own at 20.5mph (slightly flatter route than normal but still a few hills). Yesterday was just 6.5M easy (some with the dog).

• Nice PBing Joe and training Padams.

Just ticking over here too really OuchOuch with nothing entered before September. I like my cake a little too much to just run 4-5 milers though and I also like to stay in a place where 20 mile runs feel like the proverbial pea shelling, should probably have at least a couple of easier weeks before thinking about refocusing on Robin Hood but I just love to run and as work and weather permit a bit more at this time of year I'm not good at not doing.
  • selbsselbs ✭✭✭

hi all, not been on much lately but noted all the usual great training and racing, although it has gone pretty quiet overall, guess the usual summer hiatus!

CW congrats on all those long event successes and commiserations to RaceJ but as others have said no doubt you will come back stronger and smash the 100km too.  Excellent HM pb JoeB off the back of a huge training week probably bit more to come there!  More usual great training and racing Padams, and good to see Wardi getting back into it well too.  LMH glad the injury woes seem to be behind you.  DanA sounds a great "training" marathon to me, and SL churning out silly (to mortals) miles again good to see.  apologies to loads I have missed...

I've read your problems LS21 with interest (to see if you can solve them!) as it sounds very similar to what's been impacting me for I guess nearly a year now too and man it does suck, so I fully empathise!  But localized pain as others have said does sound at least a bit of a change/improvement.

I know what my issue is (degenerative lumbar disc disease at L3/4 and L4/5) as I had an MRI for it when it got too bad late last year, but still not really any closer to "curing" it indeed maybe never will.  It is so hit and miss as well as sometimes it just "goes away" to a certain extent, but then can randomly reappear and cause numbness/lack of power and pain in hamstring/glutes and all sorts of knock on pain impacts which can stop me dead.  So for example when I went to try the LFOTM serpentine 5km, I didn't make the start line on Friday as I could barely shuffle.  but then I tried the London 10,000 (congrats CD, we must have been close as I experienced a very similar race) and it wasn't soo bad.  although today I am stiff and sore again.  Like CD I think I started at about the right place - not right at the front of our pen (which is behind where they pull out all the real fast club runners/elites) but not so far back that I had to dodge too many slower people either.  Similar splits to CD as well I think I paced it OK for me 18:18 and 18:01 for 36:19.  But way down on last years 34:58 reflecting my back issues and lack of training due to them I guess.

Might need to resort to pilates!

• Hope you can find an answer selbs. I'm still managing the knees rather than them being cured but things are a lot better than they were for VLM.