Sub 3

Comments

• Nice result Padams.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Padams - top bombing from you as usual. Bodes well for vlm if you can get enough miles in. Not having a watch works well for you.

CW - blimey, don't break those legs. You have a 1:15 and a 48m in them in recent weeks, with some volume before vlm you could have a stormed.

OO - how many training weeks between the recovery and next taper?

Some easy miles for me today, I'm having a proper easy taper week this week. Shame it didn' coincide with half term as half term will affect my running.

It dawned on me today that the 1.25 off a short build up which led to this 12 week build up for Worthing might be matched with a 1.25 too, would be very ironic.

Looks like simon qualified for the championship race he was targeting yesterday, so well played there.

In October there is a 10k and 1/2 mara being held at Goodwood motor cct which will be an absolutely rapid course (if it's a still day unlike yday was).
  • Stuart  LeaneyStuart Leaney ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Nice to see Padams proving to everyone that he's not human.
    TR - That's a decent 10K considering you're a diesel engine. 
    CW - Wot TR said, you've got amazing endurance not sure you need to be pushing the envelope at the moment.
    Belated birthday wishes to Dan.

• Padams in DOMS shocker! (Well OK, it took a hilly 73 min half to get him there...)

OO -- any virtual pat on the back welcome :-)

I think I'll settle back into my preferred marathon regime of late, in which my long run is the only 'quality', something like:
    o trudge as far as possible in weekday commutes, some of it excrutiatingly slowly, sometimes with some hills
    o go easy on Friday (or rest), rest on Sat usually
    o quality long run on Sun, maybe a steady 26M or something with some efforts or MP section

-- to that end I did surpise myself slightly by doing a little over 10M on the way home last night, not quick though.

In principle I have a place in the postponed Milton Keynes Winter HM on 19Feb, followed 2 weeks later by the Cambridge HM. I might well skip the MK one though as you're right, I don't want to beat myself up too much and could do with some training uninterrupted by taper and recovery (and not much point in travelling to a race unless I'm going to do it justice).
  • Simon Coombes 2Simon Coombes 2 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018

Wot no MK CW? Mind you it's true there's no point going there to plod round. It's local to me and a good LBAC social - so but like a more interesting Sunday run tbh..Padams - consistent as ever, great time on that course with what I glean from you as not ideal training etc?

TR - Yes managed to get in that Masters 10k thing in Brum in May. Bloody windy wasn't it? Shame, as that course is really fast on a still day I reckon. Struggled to 33.28, wheels fell off a bit in the last 4k, not surprised you struggled a bit too if your legs weren't entirely fresh. I think perhaps training Tuesday and Thursday after doing the Southerns at Brighton may not have been ideal for me either..you'd think we'd live and learn ;) At least the 3rd V40 prize was decent.

• PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

SC2 - well done to qualify for the Masters. Not sure if you're aware but the guy who won the V40 at Chicester used to post on here quite a bit (Dachs).

CW - usually I haven't done enough training to get DOMS. I did >50M last week even with a mini-taper for the race! As suggested by SL, do you not feel you've maximised any benefit you're going to get on the endurance side and need a bit more speed to make improvements now? Unless you're aiming more at ultras now.

Just 5M in total yesterday to and from work, then 4M into work this morning, all with a rucksack. I think I'll need to do 8M this evening to meet Mrs Padams to pick up her car from the garage, but the legs aren't feeling too bad now so should be fine, then I'll try something a bit faster on Thursday.

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    CW- given the 48miler do you really need to do full distance runs before vlm with the associated Friday and Saturday rest days?

Simon - the logistics of parking the cars round the outside of the motor track worked well, although I could have quite happily climbed into my car and cracked open my flask of coffee when I passed it at around 6k. When I parked up at 8.30 and got out the car (with the car saying it was 2 degrees) and the wind and wind chill hit me I was reaching for the hyperspace button.....I kept remembering that I have done the midsummer 5m there where it's a lovely warm evening and your race number gets you a beer and a burger from the BBQ after. I had zero interest in running when it became clear it was going to be a tough/cold day. I'm amazed that folks ran sub 30min.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    TR.. a good workout in the 10k none the less, the half should be a more worthy marker with a more restful week.

Padams.. blimey, top notch that.  As SC said even more impressive considering you're not in traditional big miles mode yet.

SC2.. congrats on the podium spot & Masters qualifier.

LMH.. Mrs Wardi managed to move the number on to a chap from the club in the end so no probs.

Charlie.. you might as well keep doing what you usually do as it seems to bring more than decent results.

4.2m + 7.3m for me today.  Very cold & snowy here but after Saturday's 11.5m inc Park Run in miserably wet & soggy weather I can't decide which I enjoyed the least :/
  • I'm longer for warmer weather Wardi!
  • Cheers All! - TR, yes not surprised you felt like stopping at 6.5k - I think a lot of us did. Like you said, sub 30 is ridiculous on a day like Sunday was.

Padams - Yes met Dachs a few times now, we were both over in Derry for the masters xc n November also. I warmed up and down with him on Sunday.

• Padams - different class, as always. Well done!

TR - sounds like you're pretty relaxed about Chichester. I understand it was very windy so that won't have helped you either. Good luck for Sunday!

SC2 - well done on getting the masters qualification spot.

Still not back to normal, but a lot closer than I was a few days ago - the prednisone is definitely helping. Also back in for another chiro session this afternoon to tackle the effects of the muscle tightness from the virus, and hopefully a 20 miler of some description later. 

Other than that not much to report. I tried a road session on Monday but felt rough - no power or drive in my left knee (that's the currently shorter leg) - 2km @ 5:37, 5 x 420m hills, 2km @ 5:28. At least the effort was there I guess, and the paces are not too bad for my current shape (probably between 5km-10km for the first, and 3km-5km for the second). 

Anybody at Bramley on Sunday? I'm doing the 10m. No idea what shape I'm in but I reckon I'll be doing well to break 58........
  • SC2 -- yes sorry if I'm not there (not sure yet). It's a bit of a trek for me unless I'm treating it as a serious race, and not sure that I should do that with the Cambridge half two weeks later as well. Which is _my_ big social of course!

Padams -- what Wardi said really -- certainly my marathons have got a little bit better since joining the high-mileage bandwagon (in WAVA terms). When I've been plodding endlessly for a couple of days (as now), I admit it doesn't seem like it can be entirely the right thing... but it does seem to work on the day. Unlike some hard-core high-mileage people though, I do want to retain some quality, if only "hidden" in my long runs, and to do that I need one or two rest days and so won't log quite such silly miles as some.

TR -- yes I definitely want a few more full-distance runs before VLM. It's still 10.6 weeks to go, and endurance adaptations can fade just like speed adaptations (how fast, I know not).

Hope you are on the up, TT. 2km @ 5:37 -- do you mean per mile or that was the 2km split?!

I concur on the weather. Heat adaptation was supposed to be a thing too, not easy to achieve when it's freezing cold outside...
  • Fair enough CW. I'm going for the LBAC v45 record, although as I'm 2nd claim for them I only get an 'asterix' record ;) funny if it got snowed off again! Thanks TT - My left leg is my 'skinny' leg. Tried to do some exercises just on the left leg and it hurt...best leave it alone I think!
  • CW - that's a question I never expected to be asked, but yes, per mile. If I were doing 2km in 5:37 I don't think I'd get away with claiming lack of fitness ;)

SC2 - lol. Yep, best left alone by the sounds of it. My left is my 'fatter' one, but I messed my right side up years ago (misplaced hip and shoulder loading a skip and trained through it), so the left side bears the brunt of it.

2hr steady long run (6:34..... per mile). Figured 2hrs was plenty after being prodded and poked by the chiro. Felt surprisingly decent.
  • Dan ADan A ✭✭✭
    TT - remind me, is it Barcelona you're doing?  PB attempt?

SC2 - reminds me that as a recently turned V45, I should be looking for low key races to try and win a few prizes.  Ones which you and CW aren't at anyway.  Only got Big Half and VLM this side of the summer though, so no chance there.

Feel I've turned the corner after Dec/Jan struggles and running pretty well at the moment though.  Good 24 miler on Saturday without any difficulty (last 4 miles were the quickest), and now sunning it up in the Canaries for the week (sorry!).  Been for two runs today and a really encouraging treadmill sesh y'day so keeping some good discipline.  Another month should put me in a no-excuses position hopefully.
  • Some great running over the past week, seen some good efforts from TR and Padams...
    I did a park run last Saturday 18:48 but couldn't warm up as was late and had to take it easy for first mile in 6:20.. then a 6.09 then a 5.54 to finish but annoyed as wanted 5 mile warm up then the race... just takes me around 4+ to even get heart pumping nowadays.

So annoyed with a crappy time I pushed myself out for 10 mile on Sunday night in the cold... and boy was it cold, but after a slow 7:10 to start, came home in 1:04:36 so was happy with that for a training run. That was 54 miles for last week and this week on for 50+ so, with a 10k race on 18th and half marathon on 25th... hoping to get some quicker times soon.
  • TR - I think I am recov/training at the mo - hopefully a virtuous race-rec-train-race cycle.  
    DanA - Sounds encouraging; La Santa? 
    Pug - That looks a decent 5K and 10m sess.  I bet you will nail those upcoming races.
    TT - Nice 2 hour training run - so is Barcelona a PB attempt? 
    9.5m this morning with a 4m effort (paces 6.11,6.11.6.07, 5.52) Starting to feel my post-marathon fatigue slipping away. 
  • Dan/OO - Barcelona is a training run and a bit of a jolly. Paris 4 weeks later is the main aim. I'm assuming I'm in about 6m/m shape at the moment, so 8 weeks to find 22+ seconds per mile..... Good signs from both of you!

Pug - nice 10m!
  • Dan ADan A ✭✭✭
    OO - not La Santa this year though was there in '16 & '17.  Tenerife this time.  Couple of runs today (one on the treadie) and a rare game of tennis.  Could get used to these warm weather breaks for marathon training.

TT - ah yes, I remember.  Any chance you'll change your mind if you feel in PB shape at Barca?  It's definitely a PB course. My top three times all came there.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Good running there pug

OO- looks like your leg s are in the training phase again there then.

Nice long runs from Dan and TT, things looking better for both of you.

Only some short taper runs here, I have had  a bit of a sore foot since Sunday, so a taper is well timed.

I had a look back today and I averaged 28mpw in the 12 weeks before gosports 1.25, although I struggled with the groin/stomach issue initially after some time off in the summer and the last 7 of those 12 were much better than the early weeks. I was disappointed initially with the 1.25 but looking back I think I blagged a decent performance due to mental fortitude.
    In the 12 weeks since gosport I will have averaged just over 50mpw, so if I can show the same mental fortitude and suck up the same amount of discomfort then my improved mileage should result in some improvement, although 12 weeks isn't long for adaptations to take place. Simples but Gosport was a still day and its going to be windy on the coast this Sunday, so the pugometer will have to come out afterwards. Shame it wont be still as the wind will affect the experiment.
  • Enjoy the warmth Dan.

Hope the foot isn't anything serious TR. Worthing seems to have come round quickly.
  • Quite Dan - nothing wrong with a bit of pot hunting at our level, depends race to race though prizes wise. I was 1st V40-50 at Poole boxing day = £15 cheque, 3rd V40 at Chichester = £70 voucher. Not quite the level of one of my training partners, he got nearly £3k for a morning's work at the Reading half. He is good though :)
  • PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

Dan - you're saying you don't have a chance of a V40 prize at VLM? Where's your ambiton?! Jealous of your warm-weather training, although I'm off to Dubai next Sunday (but will probably do less training than at home!).

Just some steady running really this week for me. 8M to the garage on Tuesday evening, mostly offroad and with quite a heavy rucksack. Just about got there with enough daylight!

4M with mini-Padams and the dog on Wednesday, just jogging about really. Then squeezed in 6M progressive (7m/m down to 6m/m) yesterday before nursery pick-up. Mrs Padams is on call and ridiculously busy so I doubt I'll get much done over the weekend as I'll have mini-Padams the whole time and I wouldn't want to take him out for too long in the cold.

• Dan - I'm at best in 6m/m marathon shape at the moment so I don't see me gaining 22s per mile in 4 weeks. I'm very jealous of your warm weather training; I've had enough of the cold.

TR - good luck for Sunday.
  • Last day of a full week of commuting doubles for me immediately following my 22M effort session on Sunday, so it's all been ploddish but will total 92M. Tomorrow off, then some kind of sprightly long run on Sunday on freshish legs hopefully.

Best of luck TR, shame about the wind but hopefully you can get an idea of where you stand by comparing with nearby finishers' recent performances.
  • Simon Coombes 2Simon Coombes 2 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Padams - I think the golden rule is try to keep standard high in short and quick races the older you get, as the old boy standard is ridiculous in longer races. In the last couple of years I've done a masters 1500m in Denmark and been 'unofficially' the 3rd best in Europe.....then did 2.39 for Berlin marathon and been the 34th v40 and 8th British v40..in one race! Tough old buggers ;)
  • Interesting SC2. I wondered what the prize structure was at Poole, I was 2nd V45 but didn't hang around. If they only awarded 10yr age categories I was way back in 7th.
  • saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    TR - Best of luck for Sunday - hopefully the forecast wind isn't as bad as feared. Also interesting reading your training analysis. 

Drawn the conclusion that Manchester will be a B race. That sounds a bit defeatist now I've re-read it but have to be realistic I think. Not being active for long spells means I have little to no chance of running to potential off very limited build-up. 

I averaged just 160 miles in January and I doubt I will creep much over the same for February. Which leaves me TWO weeks in March until race day. So effectively I have 8 weeks left not including a short taper. 

Anyway, I'm back running (albeit slowly) and with fresh impetus I will carry on and get that consistency back.

• Do you mean that you ran 160 miles in January SJ? If so that's 23 more than me - and I think I'm going to have a pop at Boston (Lincs) the week before London if I can get a few high mileage weeks in (less pressure and expense than heading to London) but then I guess you've had a longer lay off.
  • LMH - Yes I meant I ran 160 miles in Jan (don't know why I said averaged). 

As an indication of my inconsistent training in recent years... 

2009 - 1517 miles - PB's (5k - 26.2) set this year and still stand :-(
    2010 - 1428
    2011 - 1233
    2012 - 565
    2013 - 857
    2014 - 734
    2015 - 577 
    2016 - 396 - went into HE teaching (not for me)
    2017 - 359

'09, '10, '11, '15 all included 26.2 and on 3 occasions ran 2:5x. Most recently in '15 where I ran well on relatively limited mileage (more than this campaign though). 

We'll see what happens. A few decent 20 milers and I might feel better.