Sub 3

Comments

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    SC2.. top running at MK, hope the glory makes up for the modest prize offering!  FWIW my clubmate won the V60 category at VLM once and all he got was a rather ordinary wooden plaque. :/

Charlie.. cracking time at the end of a big week and nicely rounded up to a long run.  Hope the wounds and Garmin scratches are repairable!

UDS.. nice run there, still plenty of training time to gain more improvements too.

Joe.. close to your PB off not much running mileage is encouraging, nice prize booty too - have you got any Brandy?

Jooligan.. 30 secs quicker than my PB set in a previous lifetime  :o Impressive after a busy racing & training week. 

CD.. great racing & surprised you only just made the V50 podium!

Dan A.. good weekend miles.  Impulsive behaviour in starting the half, though bear in mind VLM don't do entries on the day ;)

OO.. just over two weeks to Barca, is that your last big long run?

TR.. nice trio of MLR & LR's, my old legs can't cope with that sort of sequence any more :/

After 14m & 11m at the weekend the last 3 days have been 5, 11 & 9. 
  • Wardi - so your clubmate has a rather ordinary wooden plaque... ...that says he won his age group at the London Marathon.  I think I'd cope with that!
  • Evening all.

Some good results at Wokingham HM and MK almost HM. Nice running all! Particular congrats to Jooligan on a huge pb.

TR - you're coming along nicely!

Unfortunately my spring marathon jinx has come into play again...... I had bloods taken before Bramley and now know why I had no strength in my legs. Apparently this virus has hit me way worse than I thought as my blood markers are worse than when I came back from Kenya quite poorly a few years back. I won't bore you with the details, but the GP' reading of it is bad virus = hampered immune system = IBS flare ups = iron and folate deficient again....... hence the lack of strength, feeling weak, etc.
    The irony is that before the virus I'd completely sorted out my IBS with the removal of wheat and coffee. 

I ran low mileage, and easy last week. Planning on a bit more, but still easy this week, and with a bit of luck will introduce some shorter efforts next week and take my time to build up and do a good proper base period for the first time in years, most likely just training through Barcelona and Paris and doing them for a bit of a jolly.

It's frustrating, but the hard decision to step back is the right one as otherwise I'd end up digging myself into a hole and writing off the whole year.
  • Sorry to hear that TT - hope you can get yourself sorted soon.

They look like good miles to me Wardi. I agree, the VLM age group 'prize' is rather unassuming.

Coming along nicely TR.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • TT - best of luck recovering from what sounds like a really nasty virus. 

TR - some serious effort being recorded there. What's the Bournemouth 20 bit? 

Short courses, unacceptable. Manchester best have it sorted this year. 

Took Mon/Tue as rest days. Monday is my usually non-run day and Tuesday was Mrs SJs b'day. 

10 last night run progressively. A modest session by this threads standards but I was pleased to see evidence of progression. I don't think it's at the rate necessary for a tilt at sub-3 in a few weeks time but I may be getting into 3:15 shape which was a soft goal anyway. 

Setting off for the New Forest shortly for a long weekend with my folks. Probably run the NF10 route a couple of times for this week's long run (if I can remember the route). 
  • My Garmin made the Milton Keynes course 12.99M from memory. However, it had a lot of little wiggles, and the 920XT with default 'smart' recording tends to short-cut some of those in the recorded data, so I wouldn't trust it over the official measurement (which this race was supposed to have). Our local parkrun always records as short by about the same amount (and it has quite a few wiggles and corners under trees), a much greater relative error. Zooming in on the MK trace on Strava in satellite mode, it's clear it didn't follow the real paths that accurately, though it's hard to say whether that accounts for it. If I was really bothered I'd carefully plot the route by hand in satellite view along the exact paths we followed.

No exercise yesterday as expected because of a work trip, but 17.4M in the bag already today to make up for it, with more to do on the way home.

Top double there TR I should say!
  • Simon Coombes 2Simon Coombes 2 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Yeah CW - Its not massively out anyway, and like you say, the course is wiggly too. Wardi - I would say that a wooden plaque for winning your age group in the VLM is massively stingy - BUT the charity angle is always the excuse. But I would have thought most people would expect around £100 worth of vouuchers etc from one of the sponsors, there's not many age groups and it's quite a big race! TR - I'll have a think. But half's make your legs hurt :). TT - Not nice, hope the virus calms down soon.
  • TT - Hope you bounce back quickly, sure you still be super-fast in Barca and Paris. 
    Wardi - Thanks, yes in taper mode. Another 13m fast run on Saturday and then 10 days of the faster shorter stuff and then hopefully 2.4X something.   
    TR - Some good runs there, you've got the fire!
    SJ - You might surprise yourself Manchester (as I am sure you know) is a fast course anda  good few weeks of training yet. Loved it last year. 
    A few days of doubles as really enjoying running in this weather (blue skies and about 6C in Cornwall) indeed gotta watch I don't overdo it. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    TT - that' a shame but better to find out now than at Barca, at least you can try to get well a bit beforehand.

CW - no doubt a minimum of 8.8m home again?

OO - running in Cornwall sounds nice.

Just 6m easy today, I have pushed my legs hard since a few days off in half term last week, and my quads feel like king kong has been squeezing them. I think I'll stick to a long run and the mlr commute as 2 main days and fill the rest with whatever time and energy allows.

I'm starting to get a sniff of a M50 sub 3 which would be awesome after a year of minimal running, but i need to make sure I make the start line, for starters.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    SJ - nice one on the NF visit, funnily enough I was looking up the NF10 yday (it' not on this year). The BAC session is from the tuesday marathon sessions they do. 20min, 4x5min, 20min, gives 60min of effort. The good part of doing it within a 13 is that with a 2m w/u, by the time I had done the reps there was only about 1/2 mile left. I think the peak is 70min of effort, I'm only doing the odd session.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018

(rare post)

Simon, as I'm suddenly all bold after my first half in 2 1/2 years, I have to echo TR, get a fast half done while you can! If you're knocking out 1hr 13s on the cheeky, even if slightly short, what could you do with a proper targeted build up amongst a fast field!

JB- good team win! Is that £50 each or between the team? I remember getting a little glass thing when we won with Sandhurst Joggers years back,  but no Wonga!

Do you still have to go to Wokingham town hall on a Monday night for a little ceremony to pick it up?  I remember being especially gutted as it was the Manchester derby that night! Easy 15min drive for the rest of the team, but a 45min drive from Wycombe for me!

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    TT.. not so great timing :/ Sorry to hear that - just get yourself as well as possible for Barca and enjoy it, a fab marathon.  I'll miss it after doing the last 3 but plan to be back next year.  N.B don't overcook 3-9k as it is gently uphill, nothing major though.  The Nou Camp is pretty much at the peak of the climb.

OO.. all the best for the taper then, nearly cotton wool time.

TR.. I clocked a 3:03 as a V50 so a revived mileage monster like you must be in with a Sub 3 shout ;)

SC2.. I understand the leading mens & ladies teams at VLM get a well earned bundle of cash so it did surprise me that the A/G winners got no booty.

CD.. my clubmate was happy enough to bask in the glory of his V60 win in the end.  However being of Scottish heritage he did lament the lack of a wee fiscal offering to make it even sweeter. :)

SJ.. sounds like a promising 10 miler, still a few weeks available to yield improvements.

Nice commuting miles Charlie!
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Good to see you are back to it SG, although you are further round the comeback trail than me. I'll keep an eye on yr thread in case I notice you are racing down here some time.

Wardi - I remember that 3.03. So close!

If I was 1st in my AG at vlm, i wouldnt care if the prize was a whack round the chops with a wet fish, it's not about the prize, it' about being 1st (AG) on the result sheet.
  • TR - what paces would you typically run those efforts at? MP for the 20 mins then faster for the 4x5?

NF cold and dark on last night's 6 mile amble to freshen legs up after the long drive down. Squeezing runs in around family stuff, only the odd comment so far ?
  • saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Another 10 bagged which surprisingly felt really good and matched Wednesday's time despite it feeling much harder two nights ago. The scenery and dead quiet roads definitely an incentive.

A short recovery run and a 20 to sneak in under the radar on this trip.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    TR - it was a frustrating period to say the least. I was grateful I could still run pretty good mileage, but I knew racing wasn't really on for a long while. 2 1/2 years on, and the good half marathon was like a final test of being "back"

I fancy getting a few south coasters in.
    Gosport mile/5k, Eastbourne mile/5k for their 2 races over 45mins unique flavour.
    Gosport/Portsmouth 5ks - probably about 10 races between the two series to pick from. The difficulty is committing to an actual date, as it's very easy to say "I'll do the next one", and miss the lot!

GSR, Gosport half. Victory 5 (though a shame it's moved off September). I can feel the old passion coarsing through at the moment!

• SG - I did a few Victory 5's, it's not as popular now as organisers had to start messing with a well tried and tested formula and moved it. Sadly the Wolverton 5 has succumbed also, it was 2pm on a Saturday afternoon in November, now they are moving the bloody thing to Sunday morning. Not doing that race again.

Regarding a hard half - I did that at Reading in 2015 and had a crap one. Might do another one, I'll see.

Yes Wardi - very ageist ;)

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    SC, do you mean the route or the move in date? It always used to be December, not sure why they first moved it to the September event when i did my 3 goes there.

I think the 2017 course was a different route to some sort of road works or something.
    Wolverton 5 being a Sunday would actually suit me, as it always clashed with footy watching.
  • Really gutted to hear that TT - bounce back stronger in the autumn.

Stevie G - each; what a result!

Anyone else at the the national tomorrow? I'll be there, but got a tough bike session planned in the morning so will most likely be a soak up the atmosphere run. It's not like I'm going to be challenging for a placing anyway..
  • That's not good news at all TT, hope it's not too long-lasting.

SG - from your Wokey report on t'other thread we probably weren't too far apart in the early miles.  Nice result, always good when it's better than expected.

TR, if you run sub 3 do we all get to slap you with a wet fish?

• Got my long run in early this weekend - 20+ miler this morning including 50 laps of a local street at just over a third of a mile per lap.  A bit dull but it made for some decent running with a slight increase in pace as it went on.  I've told junior I'm not going to try keeping up with him at parkrun tomorrow!
  • OO - I can't get that to open, but I'm strongly suspecting Monty Python.

What with us being a similar age 'n' all.

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    Monty Pythons sport of fish slapping!

SJ - good miles there. Indeed, MP for the longer reps, faster for the short ones, 2min jog between short reps, 3min after long reps. Maybe start with 16, 4x4, 16? I'm doing it by effort of couse rather than pace.

SG - Nice to see you loving it. GSR is always at risk of October winds so not a target race for me, lordshill 10 is much better IMO. The 5ks moved location slightly when they flattened the greyhound stadium, short races asn't really my bag (I only live a 10min w/u jog from those 5k's now too). Midsummer 5 at chichester is one to consider for  5m PB, might see you sometime.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    CD- have a word with one of the pelicans in the park at the finish of vlm, if I sub3 they can get you a fish.

SJ must have inspired me with his talk of the NF, as I entered the NF mara today to go with my abo number. Abo can be sold, and NF deferred or changed to 1/2 though. I have put 5 months of consistent running in now I'm a lot healthier, so I need to make sure I keep at t through the summer or I'll let it slide due to all the cricket commitments.

8m today, 67 for week so far, so a few miles tomorrow will get me into the 70s.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    10 more today, so the week ends with 77m. 99 in the last 9 days after low miles for the month up until that point. 6 more big weeks to go.
  • Tidy miles TR. I ran an easy 7 earlier just to freshen legs up for tomorrow's planned long run. I will peak over 50 this week which is a high for nigh on 18 months. I will hopefully keep this up for next few weeks before easing down for April 8th. 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

TR- That's some big miles!

Cheerful D-just catching up, but that's some V50 time at Wokingham! Looking back at your PO10, I see PW and Peterborough were really low 74s. I know it was 10 years ago, and the course and memories may have changed, but how did those courses rate v Wokingham?

Anyone else whose done them more recently, please feel free to add in!

• SG - that's going back a while, for sure!  They're both flatter than Wokingham, which is just to say that they don't have the motorway bridge to get over.  Paddock Wood is quite open in places IIRC so may suffer on a windy day like Wokingham does, but it was fine when I ran it.  The Great Eastern may well have changed courses, the one I did was quite twisty in places going through the streets of Peterborough.  Overall not a lot to chose between them, if conditions are good and you get a good group to run with any of them could be quickest.
  • Longest training run to date for me today. 22 miles out and back along the canal with 4 miles at MP in the middle. In fact excluding faces this was my longest training run in 5 years. My legs were really feeling the miles in the last 1/4. After a soak in the bath feeling more relaxed and supple now. This run has certainly shown me what I need to do over the next 4 weeks. More long slow double digit runs to build up endurance.

High mileage there TR. That approach is never going to suit me but I'm very impressed with the continuous dedication of folk in this group to keep logging those high miles. I imagine your bodies have become very accustomed to it so you feel less beat up. 

Tomorrow I will be out on my ElliptiGO stand up bike for some active zero impact recovery. It's a great machine that really supplements run training and allows me to go easy or hard but without the impact of logging high run miles. 

Good luck to anyone over doing the Nationals in Parliament Hill fields today. Tough but very enjoyable course.