Options

Sub 3

Comments

• Options
    Al_PAl_P ✭✭✭
    Eastleigh 10k and Reading Half have cancelled too! Glad I got my last miles of the week in yesterday, 10 Inc the Brockenhurst Winter course in the Forest (17:59 1st). Felt really good running which surprised me, but only 10s faster than last week. There was no competition to chase/chase me and it was back to the clockwise lap which seems slower than the reverse direction we did the run before...
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    Jooligan - Very true, I've run the half there but I have a plan that is so cunning you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel. My brother is doing the half so someone to look out for.
    TR - Maybe 15m next Sunday as too few weekends left to do a long one - and probably not going to help me that much.  Its the Marathon de Mont Blanc in Chamonix, DanA and SL have run it with success in the past few so august company. Mountain trail marathon so hoping to finish in > 6 hs, a bit of a different race for me, but really appeals. 
    No snow - its on the way - so will do an easy 5 or 6 with the pooch soon.  Hope it doesn't disrupt peoples plans too much.
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    Congrats Al_P i x-post. Excellent stuff.
  • Options
    It's horrible out there, the wind feels worse than yesterday and there's either compacted snow/ice or 2-4" of fresh snow. I'm trying to defrost after walking the dog and talk myself into getting out for a run.

Nice parkruning Al.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Options
    Sorry to hear about all the cancelled races; real shame but I’m sure the right call. Weather playing havoc this winter.

I’m extremely sunburnt after standing in it all day yesterday during the race. Been having some adventures, including having my clothes stolen whilst on a morning sea swim. 

Had to run back to the hotel in the trunks and explain why I wasn’t wearing any clothes to work colleagues. All good fun; made sure I didn’t take anything valuable with me to the beach so no damage done.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    You do have a history of poncing around in trunks Joe so no change there ;)
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    OO - so no long runs? Interesting. I remember now re the trail race. Road maras in the autumn?

Joe - you won' get any sympathy from us, it' snowing here !

Snowed hereovernight, but not a lot so it had turned icy by this morning. Ran up and down my measured 2m stretch of main road (on the road until the pavements defrosted later), but it meant 2m into the wind and 2m with the wind. Tagged a mile on at the end for 21m in 2.46, more good time on feet. Definitely a box ticking exercise today. 3 more long runs.
  • Options
    Joe running in trunks?  Why am I not surprised?

I did get a long run in, 20 horrible miles in the snow doing laps of the racecourse on the downs. It seemed fine until turning to climb the hill from the Derby start line and finding that I'd had a tailwind which was now the opposite. No fun at all but it got done. Looks like TR did something similar, nice one.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    CD - Agreed, not fun today. Well done for getting it done. I found that my hips were aching during the first part of the downwind reps, so I assume it was from leaning fwd running into the wind. Cricket training has been cancelled and that's indoors - but that' to stop people travelling from various local counties.
  • Options
    No sympathy here Joe!

I stuck it out for my 20 too thinking of TR and Daley runs. Tight shoulders and neck here TR, tensing running into the wind and trying to stay upright I think.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Good one LMH, I havnt had to use Daley in a while. I'd convinced myself that today would be the last miserable long run of the winter. If it's grim next weekend I'll have to play a CNBA joker, or use Daley. Was having a chuckle to myself that running in the wind and snow was poor preperation for a roasting round canary wharf in 5 weeks.
  • Options
    I'd over dress TR but I don't think I could move with many more layers on! :-)
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Bravos to TR, LMH, CD on getting out in the winter wonderland for your 20's.  I did consider the same but as my hands turned blue walking to the local shops this morning I thought better of it.  Cranked up the treadie for my regulation 20 miles with a radio and an FA Cup Tie on the TV for entertainment.  My hands were still cold indoors!  74m for the week.

Congrats on the win Al P, that's good pace after another big week.
  • Options
    My hands were very painful when I got back from Grace's walk Wardi but they don't seem to get as bad when I run. I don't think I could stick a straight 20 miles on the treadie.
  • Options
    Dan ADan A ✭✭✭
    Think I must be the only one who loves running in these conditions. 3 hrs yesterday morning, followed by about a dozen pints of Guinness before, at & after the rugby at Twickers; then a punishment 90 mins this afternoon in blizzard conditions. Visibility at one point was about 20 ft. 
    Love it!!
  • Options
    PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

Joe - I spotted the Formula E was in Uruguay yesterday and thought that might explain your trip! Not a bad place to visit for work I suppose, especially with the weather we've had here. A bit annoying about the stolen clothes - that's happened to me before in Bournemouth, but again, I hadn't taken anything valuable.

Dan - well done on the Only Connect answer, as CD said, they didn't get it on the show (even though one team worked out the connection but then said Australia!).

Sounds like most races were cancelled yesterday which must be annoying for all involved. I guess there will be a lot of people at London this year with a bit more uncertainty about what pace to set off at (me included).

Sterling efforts for those that got long runs done in those conditions (TR, CD, Dan, LMH and probably others).

I didn't have time for much of a run on Friday evening - just 2.5M with mini-Padams to the supermarket to grab some dinner. So I was well down on the miles I'd planned in the week.

I set off early on Saturday morning aiming to do the parkrun near the end of my long run. So 3M with the dog (av. about 7:30s inc. stops), then 12M on my own mostly at about 6:45 pace but did a couple of 6:10s in the middle, then straight into the parkrun. They were trialling a new course which meant no problems with lapping slower runners (so able to stay on the tarmac throughout), but it meant adding one big hill. Time was 17:48 and felt fairly comfortable (I won by about 30s), with the 3rd mile on the flat being the fastest at around 5:30. Then straight into another 3M to make it 21M in about 2:21. The first hour or so was the most unpleasant with fairly heavy snow and some wind, but it settled down later on (and the snow hadn't settled on the ground).

The most pleasing part was that I didn't really feel fatigued at the end (mile 20 was 6:3x and felt relatively easy), which is the first time this year for a long run, so it seems like I've got my endurance back.

8M easy yesterday took me to 61M for the week. Would like to hit about 70M this week and at least the same again the following week (Easter should help), and then we're nearly there!

• Options
    I got in my fifth 18+ mile run of the Brighton Marathon campaign. 20 miles on Saturday sticking to the roads which weren't too bad and wind ok too. As others have said it was the Sunday that was definitely stay indoors weather. Final 20 miler this Friday to come then its a gradual reduction in my mega mileage ?
  • Options
    CharlieWCharlieW ✭✭✭
    Wardi -- oh Jesus, your college puns... (Like your meteor shower TR!)

JB: everyone beat me to it with the swimming trunks!

Al_P -- nice one in the 5K. And yes the big-miles knackeredness certainly caught up with me on Friday, with my legs protesting at being cheated into an additional couple of miles (jog to pub and back).

So I planned to have a quality session yesterday after a day off on Sat, but actually my legs were not that fresh -- unlike the fearsome NE wind of course -- so while I went through the motions of a reps/tempo session, the paces were dismal. Trudged on to make it another training marathon; I wasn't going to bother, but a huddle of plane-spotters had grouped at the end of the airport runway I happened to pass, so I ran up and down there for a while in case anything exciting happened (not really). And just a recovery plod into the icy wind this morning.
  • Options
    Great mileage and pace Padams.

Still horrible out here this morning, icy patches, cold, strong wind or maybe I'm just getting old and even more nesh. I would like some warm weather to see if the conditions/cold really are what are making me so slow at the moment.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Padams - that' a confidence booster. Agreed that lots of folks will have missed build up races, I'm in the same camp of not knowing what MP will be, but I'll just run at the right effort level and see what happens.

CW - they were probably there to see some rare birds and you scared them off by running past.

I too was disappointed it will still so cold and icy for todays run, I had used up my motivation yday.
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    Wardi - Thats a big week, well done.
    Chapeau to TRCDDanLMH, UDS and Padams for doing the long run business this weekend in such conditions.  Really interested to see how UDS goes in Brighton giving the av. weekly miles run - I am sure you will rip up the text books and nail it. 
    TR - Berlin as my main autumn marathon and most likely 2 family maraoliday ones in the sun (maybe Majorca or Tenerife and then Valencia or Malaga or Lanzarote).

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    OO - those autumn races sound good and warm!

7m inc 10x2m30s/30s today. Cold wind but much better temperatures, hooray.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    TR.. nice session there after the big miles.

Padams.. congrats on the Park Run win and fitting a big run around it.  Top long runs from Dan A, UDS & LMH too

Charlie.. nice work getting a full distance run in this weather.  I will resist a 'runway success' pun as that would be plain for all to see.  :|

4.2m + 7.5m today.  This is my last 'big miles' week before a bit of a cutback next week.  I will be in Nice next Mon-Fri for Mrs Wardi's birthday treat so will inevitably log less miles.  Temps are around 11-17 over there so I should get to enjoy a few runs in the warmth.  I think the old body will welcome the relative rest and a bit of heat B)
  • Options
    Hey folks, 

Some cracking training as ever over last week. Well done all those who got their long runs banked in that freezing weather. Spotted a 20 on a treadie which never ceases to amaze me. 

Great to see Jools back in training. 

Took 7 days rest as hamstring and legs in general felt terrible. Wilmslow was cancelled but I wouldn't of run anyway and I can't make the rescheduled date this Sunday so no tune-up race.

Popped out for 10 tonight as hamstring seemed to have settled. Legs feel zapped but hamstring didn't twinge which is something.

Will take a view on running another long run at the weekend as that is only 2 weeks out from goal race.

• Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Pleased to hear your hammy is over the worst SJ, nice 10 miler.

I did mean to take my hat off to the East Hull 20 guys too as they have managed to replicate the various road closures, marshalls, police, permissions etc from last weekend so the event is back on for this Sunday.
  • Options
    Glad to hear things feel better SJ.

I'm envious of Mrs Wardi's birthday plans!

On the radio yesterday morning they said we may have snow again at Easter........:-(
  • Options
    CharlieWCharlieW ✭✭✭
    Wardi -- still speaking planely, Nice must be the only international airport I've walked to, having jumped out of my colleague's car in a traffic jam. Fantastic prom for running along, this trip should take the biscuit...

I've been trying to cram miles into my commutes as usual, but had to do a bit less last night after a later exit from work. Made up for it with a 10M pre-commute before my actual ~7M commute this morning, so with a decent return trip I should be on marathon mileage for the day.

I feel I'm overdue for some successful quality though, so maybe I should take 2 (not 1) days off before my long run on Sun; or I could take Fri off and give the parkrun a go, as we have a friend staying who wants to do it as she leaves. Basically my endurance is well proven now, but I'm worried about the wheels falling off when subjected to sustained speed. (Though I have clubmates doing high-mileage stuff who find no problem going fast on the day with apparently no fast training at all.)
  • Options
    Whilst my fast isn't your fast Charlie I usually seem to find it on the day and definitely don't see it in training.
  • Options
    Afternoon all. Just back in from Rio - incredible place, would thoroughly recommend it to anyone. Managed to hold on to the rest of my possessions as well.

No idea how they train out there. It's coming into their autumn, and it was 30 degrees at midnight and 39 during the day. Set out for an explore on my first morning and ended up running 13 miles around the city. That was with a stop halfway to buy 2 litres of water after heading out woefully unprepared. Loved it though. 

Great work getting all the tough runs in during the pretty chilly/difficult conditions. 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    SJ - that' a big move, to rest up for a week, hope it works. I will be doing a long run 2 weeks out.

Wardi - any room for me in yr suitcase?

CW - you like to see stats for reassurance so no doubt you'll rest up before the test run. I think you' be better off not resting and accepting lower numbers - but you wouldn' be able to compare them.

Another 12 and 10 double double with the 8m block of effort within the 12m this morning, was giving it some proper welly and it still only came in at 6.50 av for the 8m. Although there' no saying that' anywhere near what MP will turn out to be, I know full well I've averaged 6.30 in the past. I still get the impression I'm less fit than I would normally be, but I had a compromised year and I'm running more miles a week than I did in a month for quite s few months  last year, so the overall trend is upwards. But it looks like I'll be needing my new forest and abo sub3 contingency after All.