Sub 3

Comments

• It is indeed TR. Everything settled now and ready to push on or are you still managing your niggles?
    It did thanks OuchOuch, just 14 as I was late getting out as we had to get a plumber to come and look at a leak. If the knee is ok tomorrow I'll aim for a long run. I envy you the coastal path for tomorrow.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    OO- the coastal run sounds good.

LMH - that is pushing on, not 100% but i didnt have any compromised runs this week. 3 more similar weeks will hopefully be enough.
  • LS21LS21 ✭✭✭
    Good work TR. A very solid week there. Well done!

LMH - hope the knee is ok today!

OO - enjoy the coastal path! And it’s a lovely thought but I think I’ll decline on the performance of Swan Lake with CRAB. Mostly cos of his overactive feet. I don’t want him going all Shakin’ Stevens on me half way through. Especially after a pint or two of Mild. He’ll make me look ridiculous. 

Off to the gym and then work all day. Forecast is nice (might get into double figures temperature-wise today!) so will hopefully sell some overpriced ice-cream to susceptible tourists. Lovely. 
  • Dan ADan A ✭✭✭
    TR - looks like your VLM miss might just work out well for you. Great training. 

I backed up last week's local parkrun PB y'day with another. London buses and all that. Some lad less than half my age shot off and was 100m ahead by halfway. I spent the entire uphill second half chipping away at his lead and got to within a few yards but he just held me off by 3 secs. But 5 secs quicker than last week in 17:08. 
    Added another 2 before and 13 after for 18 for the day. Didn't need any help standing up in the sunshine either!
  • It was with you saying about that not including doubles TR - I took it to mean that you were planning on putting some in.

It's survived today's run so far thanks LS21. You could definitely sell me an over priced ice cream today - lovely here.

Nice running and racing Dan.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    LMH - oh I see. No doubles at the mo, I've been running home and then back again midweek the next day and doing longer runs.

10 early today. As was on the road early for cricket, sitting in the sun now watching. Might have a  beer too.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    Think I will join you TR.  
    Congratulations on the PB, DanA, mighty swift and all on your own too. 
    LS21 - Good point, well made. 
    Too much sea mist this morning so swapped for an equally scenic inland hilly run, 17m d&d with 1500 ft up and down, much prefer the up. 
  • Ran 21miles at a pace quicker than London without putting a shift in, with zero cooling or hydration in similar conditions...amazing what you can achieve when you don't happen across the UK's foremost pacing expert along the way.

A bit of TR action (minus the orange singlet) 80miles and no doubles for the week. Managed to avoid Hezza too. Result.

As you were.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Shame about the sea mist OO

I'll save you a seat on the bus now then Crab

After a couple of brisk 10s at the weekend I fancied a 20 today, but two long days travelling for cricket etc meant I was regretting that I needed to run long after a few miles today, forced out 6, then made it to 12 and put another 4m loop on, but was absolutely done by now. Setting off for another 4m was a bad idea and I was so bolloxed at the top of the hill at 18m that i wanted to stop, and figured this wasn' do me any good. So I jogged the 1m down and then walked the last mile home ( a first). Crap day, but fully expected it after a few miles. Juggling it all is tough through the summer.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Ditto TR. Struggled through 20M but even keeping the pace ridiculously low my HR creep was inescapable. Stopped in the shade for 5-6 minutes at 18 & contemplated walking back but then got going again. Setting off at 10:20am on the hottest day of the year was probably foolish in hindsight. Not sure if it was heat acclimatisation or heat stroke by the end. I'd set off with a 500ml bottle of water with a Zero electrolyte tab in too & refilled it twice with water but still suffered every time I left the shade.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Jooligan - my legs were so tired from the previous days, and i was tired and under fuelled, so I didn' think about the heat or realise how hot it was until I finished. Some guy said to me I'd done well to run up portsdown hill in today' heat, and I then did it 3 more times. Tough days I suppose. You are back to long runs already, you joining the thread train in Wiltshire?
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    First LR since VLM. My legs were also knackered after parkrun & bike Saturday then 5,000m yesterday.
    Would have loved to give Yeovil a crack but doing TriX again on the 16th so best not. I'm going to have a shot at GFA in Dorchester in 3 weeks time - just hope the weather behaves. Bit of a lumpy course & want to avoid blowing up so I'll aim for 3:05ish. At least it's an 8:30am start.
    Looks like MK Marathon today was just as bad as VLM - another crazy 10am start.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Bloody glad I didn' target MK as a gfa quest.
  • CharlieWCharlieW ✭✭✭
    I had a bit of a shocker over the weekend. I ran a low-key village 10K, cycling the 13M each way to get there very gently. I didn't know what to expect of my legs 2 weeks after VLM with no speed work and my training mainly consisting of eating delayed Easter eggs, but remembering Wings for Life races had gone well at VLM+2wks, I hoped it would be OK. And it felt OK -- for the first mile or two, thought I could win the thing. Then it all went really bad. My pace crashed to worse than MP, but with HR way up at 5/10K levels. Calves screaming at me. Finished 3rd in 37:40, i.e. about MP average, but with my legs totally done in. I managed a gentle 10M yesterday before things got too bad, but today I was too DOMSd to run to work -- after a 10K! Completely surprised what a sorry state I was in. I did a similar 10K in training as my MP trial 3 weeks ago without a murmur.

Trying it all again next Sat in another low-key village 10K... will set out a bit more slowly this time though!

Top miles TR -- forgive me, what's your new target race again?
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    CW - I am stating the bleeding obvious but you did run an exceptional marathon in hot conditions 2 weeks ago, would have been more surprised if things had gone well. 10K in 37.40 on a hot day not a bad return.  Sure this Saturday you will scorch it. 
    TR - Yes, some very hot marathons yesterday.  Still nothing approaching my 33C PW in Tenerife 2015. Won by a local in 3.01 or something. 
    Some good 20m+ banked by Crab/ Jooligan...different experiences though. 63m week for me, hoping for 65+ this and to say hello again to 20m+ training runs as mara training again.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    CW  - your legs were never going to be 10k ready in 2 weeks, you''d have better success doing another marathon. Yeovil 4 weeks, I need a gfa time. Crab is coming for the ride, and possibly LMH just to make sure that we get beaten by a girl.

OO - you can keep 33 degrees, I'm not skinny or small.

7m easy today, felt much better than at the end of ydays run.
  • CharlieWCharlieW ✭✭✭
    Reckon you're right that I'd have done better in an endurance race TR, given my Wings for Life experiences previously (an ultra basically). I did flirt with the idea of the Suffolk Coast marathon which I've done before, but it would have been a pain logistically.

Yeovil sounds like a good team outing there, enjoy all. I'm actually a tad jealous now I think about it -- would be quite a trek from Cambridge though.

My legs were still a bit creaky this morning but I'll card a zero tomorrow because of a work trip, so I managed 11M which got progressively better in glorious sunshine en route to work.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Fret ye not over a 10k Charlie.  Your legs would still have the marathon and a few of the (very) long training runs accumulated in them.  Fact is you nailed the main event good n' proper so you can bask in that glory for a while.  Even CRAB gave you a 'reasonable' which must be the equivalent of a BAFTA on here.

TR.. more good miles in the bank, hope it pays off for you and the weather gods are kind.

Dan.. fine Park Run form in evidence, PB duly noted.

Decided on a complete break in Sorrento apart from some long hiking up almost vertical hills.  The pizzas & Peroni were plentiful and much enjoyed.  Building up the miles again steadily this week.  I was lead bike at our local 10k last night - I was part designer of the course so trusted to go the right way.  Funny how it gives you a birds eye view of everything that could possibly go wrong - though nothing did. 

Anyone here planning to attend the 'Night of the 10,000m PB's' on the 19th?  I'm coming down for an overnight stay to take it in and have a beer or two.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Wardi - the Peroni sounds good.

Life prevented my planned 16m run home today, but I managed to do a 10 and 10 double instead..
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    TR- Keep those miles coming.
    Wardi - The pizza sounds good too.
    12 miles of trail running tonight in some nearby woods at around 8 - 8.30 minute miles - I could get into this...
  • saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Glad to see the bench clearing nicely now. Also pleasing to see many folks returning to good training post vlm. 

LS21 - was unattached last year but cooerced into paying my subs this year on account of being needed for Calderdale B team, which I can now no longer run anyway.

TR - great to see you back at it and getting those miles banked once again. As CW I'm mildly jealous of the mini thread gathering but I think I need to work on my speed before ramping up for Abo.

With that in mind have entered a HM at end of July so have been running shorter sessions but emphasis on speed. 

Change of job in a couple of weeks will involve a 1 hour drive instead of 30 mins on tram currently. Hopefully doesn't impact too much as I can start and finish early, However, it does involve driving one of the Pennine passes again. 
  • PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

Crab - I didn't come down south in the end, so there was no danger of bumping into me. Solid week of training there.

CW - not that surprising, you're probably not used to running at 10k pace, so as TR says you'd have probably been better off in a marathon (or WfL as per last year)! My legs currently feel a lot worse 36 hours after Tuesday's track session than at any point after the marathon.

Nothing particularly interesting to report here, running most days but generally quite short with mini-P and/or the dog. The only run to note was track on Tuesday - 20x(300 hard, 100 easy), and I managed to cover the 5M in 27:36. I wore spikes to try to get used to them before some upcoming athletics fixtures - I wasn't planning to do the whole session in them but they felt OK so I stuck it out. Calves felt pretty battered afterwards though!

• CRAB - You say the nicest things.  You're my favourite awkward Red Lion conversation, good luck at Yeovil, I may enter just so I can run with you.
    TR - Glad to see you training and running well.
    CW - A bog average 10K after a brilliant marathon, you should probably retire.
    Wardi - Sorrento sounds lovely.
    Great to see Jools running again.

I'm mid taper for the North Downs Way 50 miler, 9 days to go, nerves are kicking in.

• Whats the Yeovil race? One of the 5K things?

Good to see most training ok after London, yes as stated CW, no shame in feeling a bit rusty after London! Did that England masters 10k thing in Brum on Sunday as part of the Great Brum run. Course isn't too bad apart from the drag up in the last 1500m. Got my mug on Channel 5 too ;) Ended up with 33.34/33.39, not too bad as it was warm and a 10.45 start. Good weekend away etc etc...

Track tonight, pray for me..25 x 400 last week. Real shame I missed it!

• Sounds as though you had a nice break Wardi.

Come on SJ - you can treat it as a catered long run with company - you too SL, it will be a breeze for you.

Hope you have a better 10k (this?) weekend Charlie.

Nice double TR.

I guess you're going to have to OuchOuch.

Nice parkrunning Dan.

Another LSR today then physio - turns out my foot/ankle issue is cuboid syndrome and what I thought was a knot in my calf is actually in the peroneus. Massaged, needled and taped and pronounced fine to continue running (and foam rolling/using the stick/icing).
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    SJ - I'm envious of the folks that have done their marathons, I started vlm training a long time ago.

LMH - good news, cleared for take off.

Simon - Yeovil is the full Monty, I need a gfa and some others are coming for the ride.

Stu - do it, do it. We'll let you take the steering wheel.

10m more, tough after ydays double double and my ankle was aching so a possible 12 became 10. Still solid.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Banking plenty of solid miles TR.
    Good news then LMH.
    15 hilly trail miles yesterday & 7 today for me + 2x10M cycle commutes both days. 

• TR - I've just checked and it's the day after my 40th birthday party.  I'll be in no fit state to run, imagine how Dan was at mile 25, that'll be me on the start line and I doubt very much Crab would carry me the entire way.
  • Go on SL, a blatant bit of V40 pot hunting, you'll be fine.  It'll give Crab a laugh if nothing else.

Suddenly there seems to be a bit of a focus on TR's marathon.  No pressure mate, we're all rooting for you. 

Last weekend for me was a bit like CW's.  Richmond half, surrey champs race.  Started off OK, running with the another V50 I know from old, nice group clicking through the first few miles at a reasonable trot but well within myself.  After 4 or so though the group started to drift off and despite maintaining effort my pace was nosediving from there on - first 5 in a comfortable sub 30 ended as a 1:21 which is disappointing as even on tired legs after VLM (which I didn't think was a problem) I'd have expected to avoid such a drastic tail-off.

So I'm taking a break and cutting running right back for a while.  I've got an entry to the London 10,000 at the end of the month but that's just a fun day out really and a chance to let junior beat me now that he's old enough to do it.

• CharlieWCharlieW ✭✭✭
    SC2 -- great going in the 10K, I think I still have the recording so I should see if I can spot you in it.

Thanks for the supportive words re the post-marathon 10K! I should say if CRAB's reasonable for me (and I noted that well and gratefully I should say) is a BAFTA, then PhilPub should get an Oscar for his ~2:33 in VLM as a V45 too now. Different gravy.

And yes I only kind of entered it in case it tied in with a lunch with the in-laws whose village it's in, but I do have another 10K tomorrow -- but I won't (ineffectively) thrash myself like I did last week, just treat it as a hard effort and see what happens I guess. I'd like my legs to still be OK for a longer easy run on Sunday in fact.