Sub 3

Comments

• Thanks CW - There's a resume bit on about 1hr17 ish I think, shows us going off and me doing my watch, nothing worth rearranging your night for though! Another 10k though, good to get back on the horse eh! Good effort CD, I was trying to hang onto my Beds &Co vet team mate V50 Andy Leach on Sunday and failed! (well same chip time at least)..straw clutching here ;)

Track was 4 x 1mile last night..no recurrence of 25 x 400, thank god LOL

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    CD - I was near you Sunday for cricket and it was roasting, don' be so tough on that run. Agreed re Yeovil, the number entered has doubled since I announced I was in. There's over 200 running now!!!!

Stu - Shame, but valid excuse.

10more inc 12x 3mins/30sec jog. 76m for the week with just tomorrow to go.

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    10 more. 86 for the week. 2 weeks done, 2 to go.
  • Upgraded to the TR max option this week. 106miles with no doubles. 15 of those with Ode today which is 14 more than we managed in London Village. Just got in touch as I was in his manor. Kind of thing you do when you've hung around on here for so long...esp when you have the shared experience of something like say...well a WR. <Waves at Hezza>

Think TR's diary is fckd. Mine says 4 weeks to go. Mind you last time I ventured that far East it did appear they were operating to a different calendar in Portsmuff. Only time I've travelled 40mins and arrived about 30 fckn years before I left.

As you were.

• That's some mileage Crab - anyone would think that you were taking it seriously. You not planning a taper then?
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Good work Crab, you might be able to keep up with LMH with  a couple more of those weeks. Did you sell ode a ticket for the Yeovil train? 2 weeks til taper time, not race time.
  • It's 4weeks until the B of B-A-N-G in my diary that's all that matters to me. The last two weeks are as important as the next two weeks in terms of preparation.

As you were.

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    Agreed. But I can ease the mileage back in those weeks. Is ode on board?
  • My mentee has just declared himself benched and definitely not running Yeovil so whether I run or not is now dependent on finding somewhere cheap to stay locally that has access to a kitchen so that I can cook a simple dinner and have an early breakfast.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    Yeovil's start is more of a Pfftthhwwt, its a Wiltshire in the 60's thing. 
    LMH - No!!! Boil in the carton porridge - supper and breakfast of champions..... 
    Big miles....all round, not feeling so chipper on my 65 for the week now.

• I need dinner the night before too OuchOuch.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    You need a camper van LMH. I'm sure there will be a B and B around there somewhere.

21 hilly miles, much better than the slogfest last Monday.

Will treat myself to a few birthday beerios later.
  • Happy Birthday TR!
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    TR - snap 21 very hilly miles in just over 3 hours. Wonderful views but must take something to eat next time, running on fumes at the end. Wore backpack and visor looked if not felt proper trail. Happy birthday 50? Or even older than that. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    51. At least i pinned a few numbers on aged 50, something I hadnt managed for a couple of years.

Good work on the 21, I was pretty weary on mine but as usual was tired and hungry before the start.
  • I always have a good breakfast before a long run but don't normally eat on the way round.

You're only a month behind me TR - you too can be faster at 51 I'm sure! Not that I've managed it yet.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Happy birthday TR.
    Serious mileage ramping going on. I've managed 68 but also 130 on the bike.
    Scored a 5,000m PB in yesterday & completed a brutal tri today 800m (pool)/32.5M (3,000ft)/9M (1750ft)
  • Evening guys. 

I am aiming to improve my 3h33m time this year. Basically trying to parlay a 60km ultra endurance base that I built up through winter (ran 2 weeks ago) through summer into a better road marathon time. 

Is sub 3h achievable? I'm 33 years old. Gave up football a couple of years ago as a winger, so have some speed: is this the bit to focus on? Over longer distances etc. I have started following the RW guide. 

Cheers for any guidance. 
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Evening tpt.
    The word on here is MILES lots of them and plenty of 20M runs.
    I haven't managed it yet but got to 3:02 aged 46 having started running recreationally aged 34 & racing aged 41 so no reason why you shouldn't. I'm still striving btw & think I would have done it this year but for the stupid weather at London. I ran 80Mpw for 18 weeks mostly at 8:2x pace with some faster stuff each w/e: parkrun + 10K XC/HM/fell race etc
    When was the marathon PB? What other distances have you raced recently? Have you a target marathon in mind?
  • Hey J, that's awesome! Unlucky on the weather. 

Marathon was about a year ago. Last race was the 60km trail ultra 2 weeks placing about top 25%. I've not booked the marathon yet but will aim for Sep or Oct. 

Do you do other structured speed work? This is what I feel I will need to work on. 
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Nothing this campaign & scored PBs at 5M, 10M, HM & 20M.
    My 5K times improved initially too but in the latter stages they dropped off. Not sure if that was fatigue or lack of structured speedwork.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    tpt.. most successful marathon folks I know run a minimum of 50mpw and some up to 100mpw.  I assume you already have some good speed from your football days so I would emphasise the endurance side of things.  To give yourself a chance of a Sub 3 marathon as a minimum you will need to be running these sort of times at shorter distances..  10k - sub 38, half marathon - sub 1:24, 10m - sub 64.  Going from circa 8.10 pace to 6.50 pace in one jump over 26.2m is a tall order, you might find you need to break 3:15 first and work from there.  Best of luck with it anyway, the previous marathon and ultra do give you a head start.

Many happy returns TR, wish I was 51 again  ;)  Nice long run on the board yesterday too.

OO.. nice 21m too & a decent fat burning outing :s , oh and remind me of your list of marathons for the next year  :o

Nice ton+ in the bank CRAB, BTW the two blaggards who designed the dodgy Portsmouth calendar have been arrested and charged.  They got 6 months each (bum tish).
  • Cheers Wardi :) 

I will be attempting that 10k time in 4 weeks so I'll keep you posted! 3h15m is my fallback goal if I can't crack the 10k time or the half marathon time suggested in 10 weeks. 
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    2+2 - I agree with what Wardi said. Consistent mileage of c65 miles has worked for me and to get me in sub 3 shape plenty of fast half marathon races to go along with the slower longer mileage.
    Wardi to date it's looking pretty good. Marathon de Mont Blanc July, Berlin Sept,. Malaga Dec, Gran Canaria Jan, Paris Apr. Possibly squeeze a local one in around late October. Yorkshire marathon for you in Oct? 

• JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Wardi said:To give yourself a chance of a Sub 3 marathon as a minimum you will need to be running these sort of times at shorter distances..  10k - sub 38, half marathon - sub 1:24, 10m - sub 64.  
    Bit stiff IMO Wardi. I ran 3:02 off a 1:28 HM. Now I'd agree those times would give you a much better chance but I reckon a sub 39 10K/sub 86 HM gives you a shout. However I agree that going from 8:10s to 6:50s over 26.2M in a year is a big leap.
    Do some progressive LRs tpt. Try starting at 8:30 then speed up 20s/mile every 2M & see how 6:50s feel after 10M. Just an idea - you can progress this session by upping the pace after increasingly longer distances or by holding the 6:50s for an extra mile each time.
  • Welcome tpt. I do lots of miles, no speed work, don't race often and haven't hit Wardi's goal race times but I have run sub 3 a few times now and I'm significantly older than you so my answer would be miles, miles and more miles. What were you running each week when training for your ultra?
  • PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

Can't wait to see the Yeovil results next month, there's going to be almost as much interest as London! Although I doubt the results app/website will be as good...

TR - sounds like it's coming together, be careful now!

Jooligan - just the two races this weekend?! Well done on the 5k PB.

2+2 - what Wardi (and others) said. You've probably got the speed so lots of miles (slowly) and long runs will be the way to go.

Just did some strides in the park with the dog on Saturday, then 12M yesterday inc. 3x2M efforts (1M easy recovery). Each effort was 11:2x which felt reasonably hard but mainly as my calves still felt a bit sore (probably from track on Tuesday!). The recovery miles and warm-up/cooldown were all around 6:45s.

• CharlieWCharlieW ✭✭✭
    Happy birthday TR -- great miles, CRAB too of course. Hope you get great dividends from it.

LMH -- camping stove and pray for good weather so you can use it outside somewhere? (Not that they'd know if you were using it in a Travelodge room, unless you burned the place down in error. Or would it activate the smoke alarm?)

Congrats on the 5000m PB, Jooligan.

tpt -- I can't add much to the advice above. My own preference is for some full-distance (26M or more) training runs, but with your recent ultra background you're probably good on endurance already. I mainly trudge a lot of slow miles in run-commute doubles, saving quality work to do as part of my long run (with some reps or a block of tempo quite often), so that's paradoxically my fastest-pace run of the week usually.

I don't know what it is about 21, but I also did a 21M LSR on Sun to keep my endurance adaptations ticking over. And a much more satisfactory 10K on Saturday; still not terribly quick at 36:15, but at least that's more like HMP than MP, and I didn't pace it so idiotically this time. And though it was a fast course, handy for Cambridge and keenly priced, there didn't seem to be much of a turnout (~200 and nobody too quick), so miraculously my modest performance was sufficient to win it.

Legs a bit creaky today, but not the surprisingly acute DOMS I had after last week's 10K, so I ran my commute this morning.
  • Congratulations Charlie - I managed second place at my 10k yesterday but in a much slower time though a faster one than last year when I had a mare at the same race. Made mine up to 15 for the day with miles before and after and backed it up with a 20 this morning - seemed a shame not to given the lovely weather. I have found an Air BnB place with an ensuite room and use of the kitchen and dining room for £35 so that's me sorted for Yeovil - assuming it all works out, I've never used Air BnB before and have heard mixed things.

When/what are you racing next Padams?
  • Top bombing Charlie and to a lesser (spotted) extent LMH.

You won't run sub3 off a legit 1:28 half (or 3:02 for that matter).  The calculators will put it at around 1:25 but substantial anecdotal evidence on here puts it closer to 1:23 - unless these fckn FitBits and Strava or the latest shoe fad bllx have changed the landscape in the past few years!

They've been marking out some routes with the painted arrows for a local race over the weekend so I'd guess Hezza's all over that - but just don't tell me.

Still cranking the handle this end.  Down to only ~4 runs that I'm not looking forward to doing before the B of B-A-N-G now.

As you were.