Sub 3

Comments

• OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    Result CW - not a modest performance at all. 
    Result and result LMH.
    Until we start eh Crab and then we happily love live with them; the countdown begins. 
    Venturing into DanA & SL dark-side terrority listening to some ultra running podcasts - those guys featured on there are scary/ incredible. 
    No DOMS for me after my 21.5m up and downy yesterday, clearly harder on the mind than the body!
  • I think the evidence suggests that women tend to convert better Crab which may be why I can run a sub 3 marathon but be so slow over 10k and the half.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Evening all,

From memory... 

Belated many happy returns TR. Hope you had a celebratory beer !

Lots of 21 milers bagged over the weekend. 

Congrats CW on the win and LMH for the racing too (apologies if you win... I did say it was from memory :) )

A very paltry weekly mileage at this end last week culminating in 15 yesterday. The tank ran dry at 14 so the last mile was a bit iffy. 

Having read the relentless exploits of you all I'm just off out for a run...was going to card a zero... As Mondays is my usual rest day... I think I just had a word!

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    Just the 4 in total? I could find 4 this week.

Well done on the win Charlie, kind of sums us up when my longest pre marathon run so far is the ssmevlength as an out of campaign long run for you.

Padams - Agreed, time to protect the toaster a bit, I only did 5m easy today as my legs were so tired after a big 10 days.

SJ - yes had a couple of beers. My eldest lad who is 21 soon bought me a box of ales too, he is getting there.
    A decent lad you've raised there TR

Got my lazy backside our there. Feel better now. Since the Mcr mara my paces have picked up as expected I guess. 7:30s now feel much easier and when I want to push a little, getting into the mid 6:30s doesn't feel so bad now. 

2+2 - you've got decent advice already from far more talented/focused runners than me. My 2p what has worked for me in the past has been, as Wardi said, 50-60mpw, long run, medium long run, some tempo, up to 10 miles at quicker than goal MP ~6:30/m, plus lots of fast finish runs. That recipe got me to 2:5x on three consecutive occasions. 

However, as a footnote, and as LMH alluded to re conversion, I have a HM PB of 79 minutes which I've never converted probably due to the low weekly mileage. 

Anyway, hope that helps a little. Good luck. 
  • OO - Which Podcast are you listening to?  Hows your MB Mara training going?  I hope you've got some serious hill training diarised.
    CW - Not shit at all.

Taper madness has set in.

• LS21LS21 ✭✭✭
    Morning. Hope everyone is well. 

TR - belated birthday wishes. Hope you had a splendid day!

CW - congratulations on the win! Cracking!

Likewise LMH. Glad your knee and associated niggles are holding up ok. 

CRAB - cracking week. Looking good for Yeovil.

Well done to joiligan on the 5k PB and Tri double.

A solid week from OO, and well done to SJ for getting out there.

Not much happening this end. Still doing Pilates in my mankini, lots of gym stuff and a bit of staring at a wall while I’m on the elliptical. Could be worse I suppose - it could be a mirror.

Oh meant to say too. Hello to twoplustwo. I’d agree with what’s been said already, particularly SJ’s post. I think the best ‘speed’ stuff you can do is hard tempo runs. So say a 10 miler with the middle 6 at 6’30s or whatever. Or even a hard parkrun. One of those a week with a long run and then working on upping your mileage over the course of the week will give you the biggest return I think. Just see it as a long-term thing. I went from 3’38 to 3’12 to 2’57 to 2’49 over the course of 4 Marathons. Do the right sessions, be consistent (that’s key I think) and the times will come. I’d also buy Advanced Marathoning by Pfitzinger and Douglas too. That’s an excellent book with very good plans. 

• PadamsPadams ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018

CW/LMH - well done in your respective 10k races.

Crab - not down this weekend unfortunately. What race is that then?

LS21 - stick at the x-training (although please don't wear a mankini), you'll get there .

Athletics fixture this weekend - I think I'll just be doing the 3,000m but possibly something else like the 1500.

LMH - next road race is the St Albans HM, 3 weeks on Sunday, hence the 3x2M efforts at the weekend. It's a big race but usually not a particularly high standard (shown by the fact that I came 1st in 2016 and 2nd last year), but has some decent prizes usually so worth doing.

• Happy birthday TR; hope you had a good 'un. 

Congrats on the win CW. You can only beat who turns up, right? Well done also LMH. 

Good luck for Saturday SL. Have you eyed up the competition? 

Padams - I did that last year as part of team 'Gates Ford' where we scooped the team prize. A mate worked for Ford and then shamelessly asked him to round up 3 other ringers so they could take the win in the event they sponsored. Jokes. Enjoyed it actually, apart from the hills and heat! Good luck for the 3000m.

Running round in circles a track this morning with 16x800 and 10 miles total. Ran the 800s consistently between 2:49-2:51. Aim was strength endurance rather than flogging myself. No more running until the green belt relay this weekend.  
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    Stu - This one...http://www.britishultrarunningpodcast.com/ I 'hope' training is going OK in the belief fitness from 5 fast maras over 6 months will help and some hill running here. Staying in Chamonix for a week in a fortnight to do some proper gradients/ 4 hour runs.  Any runs suggestions/ tips welcome.  Mulling over to race it, maybe 5.20 ish or just >6 hrs and enjoy the experience. Whatever happens I am going to love it, and hope I am crying at the finish not half way around!  
    Joe - Just back from some client meetings, running around in circles here to, but not as fast as you!
  • OO - Dan is the real expert on running routes around Chamonix but there's an absolute cracker which takes you past Chalet Floria, a beautiful place to stop for a coffee the path then takes you to La Flegere ski lift where you can join the final 6ish K's of the marathon route to Plan Praz.  You can then run down or get the cable car.

Joe - I've read the preview but god knows who is going to turn up.
  • Dan ADan A ✭✭✭
    OO - I'm going to Chamonix for a long training weekend (26th-28th) at the end of the month.  Will be hooking up with some ultra types I know, but happy to introduce you to some of the best routes if you're there at the same time.  You've got my number so give us a shout.  Don't want the 90k in June to be the first mountain run of the season.  Not after I ended up in the back of an ambulance doing it two years ago (actually I nearly did that at VLM!).

Just back from a week's hols with the lads in Spain; average no. of hours sleep a night was about 4-5, with way more booze than is good for me.  Did get out for morning runs every day, though noone really believed me.  About a stone heavier.  Stressful journey resulted in having to leave our golf clubs in Gibraltar; no idea if I'll see them again, then leaving my laptop on the plane.  Just been re-united with it, but not without undue stress/panic.  :worried:
  • That does sound like a stressful end to your break Dan. Hope you get your clubs back too.

Not long now SL.

Hope the 3000m goes well Padam - and the pot hunting at S Albans:-)

You can only do what you can do LS21 - but it's better than doing nothing. Ankle/peroneus/knees all seem to be bearing up at the minute - fingers crossed and all that. I suppose I'd better actually enter Yeovil soon but I'm half convinced that as soon as I do something will break.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Ls21 - keep at it, I've had stages in the last couple of years where i was doing way more s and c than running, inc a spell of zero running.

LMH - you had best get entered. We are relying on you driving the train in the 2nd 1/2.

7m inc 10x2m30/30sec. Legs felt like ton weights but got them rotating in the end.
  • LS21LS21 ✭✭✭
    Cheers TR. I’m 13 months of zero running now. I think a combo of the s+c and Pilates is helping though (possibly....). Just have to keep on keeping on really. Either that or give up, which I don’t want to do just yet. Still hopeful I can be outraged once more about how much a pint costs at the Red Lion!
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    SL.. stay calm in taper madness week and all the best for the main event.

LS21.. at least you're managing to let off some steam, best of luck for more progress. 

Charlie.. congrats on the win, nice podium from LMH too.

Padams.. hope the 3000m is a stormer for you.

Joe.. 16 x 800m sounds like a tough session!  :o  

TR.. good stuff, coming to the boil nicely.

Dan A.. sounds just like a Club 18-30 holiday  :)

OO.. you could always adapt Charlie's mountain training method of running up & down multi storey car park steps  ;).  BTW in the end I did enter the York marathon - today actually after much dithering as only about 100 places left.  Cheap day out for me apart from the race entry & post race beers. 

Easing back into daily running here.  7.2m with the club tonight; one advantage of VLM day is that 20 degrees doesn't seem to feel that warm  B)

edited May 2018
    On a related race entry note Wardi it would appear I have a half marathon towards the end of June. The rearranged Wilmslow race which was cancelled due to snow in March. I still don't have my number so have emailed organisers. 

Just as well I went back to the club tonight to sharpen up. 10 miles including 2x2km, 2x550m and 2x450m (all on trails). Cream crackered after that lot! 

Night night. 
  • CharlieWCharlieW ✭✭✭
    SL -- look after that proverbial hay.

Padams -- you had me scurrying off to the St Albans HM website, though I couldn't really make out whether it was 1 or 3 vet prizes per category.

Just back from London as I've volunteered for a master athletes heart study -- later I'll get CT and MRI scans of the old ticker, while today was an ultrasound and bike VO2max test (57.7 mg/kg/min and max 310W, the latter pretty decent for a wee scrawny chap apparently). No exercise allowed for 24 hrs, so I'm going to shock my colleagues my driving to work shortly.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    That's a pretty good VO2/max power Charlie but more importantly it gives an excellent power to weight ratio. Look forward to hearing the results of the CT/MRI. Nicely done in the 10K btw. If 36:15 is 'average' what's your PB?
    That sounds like a hard session SJ
    I did a swift 10x 200m hard/200m recovery at lunch yesterday after carding a zero on Monday but I did bike almost 40M. Buying daughter a car for her 18th got in the way of an evening run yesterday but 20M on the bike & 2K swim means the aerobic engine got a workout too. Not too worried about big miles this week as I'm approaching N by CRAB's reckoning method.
  • LMH - that's as maybe - my experience of being female is surprisingly limited - but I'm still saying you won't run sub3 off a legit 1:28 half.  I suspect the better conversion is in part due to a more realistic outlook.

Hezza - not sure of the race.  Just noticed on the sea path between Whitecliff and the Quay there are now some orange arrows and at one point there's a fork that says 10 one way and 13 t'other.  I spent the next 20minutes composing my angry letter to the organiser assuming some dullard has been mixing their units!  NFRS!

TR 'We are relying on you driving the train in the 2nd 1/2.'  Who's this we - cos I'm fckn sure I'm not.

Joe - that's actually my favourite session (used to go up to 24 at times) although these days I 'attack' it in a somewhat more pedestrian manner.

Don't think I'd be cut out for this mountain running malarkey - I run over a couple of flyovers on one of my routes and that does my flippin' head in.

Down to 3 more runs I'm not looking forward to.  2 after tomorrow.

As you were.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Sounds like you and LMH can share the driving in the 2nd 1/2 then. LMH has the sub3 current form that i don't.

10+10 commute today. Often wonder what that equates to mlr wise.

I'm down to 3 more runs I'm not looking forward to (for the week), ha ha.
  • CW - is that the one being done down at St George's?  I know they've got some veterans studies going on, they've taken all my data. 
  • Dan - Sounds like a decent knee's up, hope you got the clubs back.

CW - very decent numbers there. 

Crab - It was your 'encouragement' via e-mail that set me on this bloomin' path. Still can't swim. 2 to go now? Glad to see you back at it.

Plenty of swimming and cycling for me but I know I'm not allowed to talk about that on here. 
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    Joe - Au contraire, lunchtime swim and evening cycle for today in and around a spot of running off-course.  Your in good compnay with a bunch of dodgy swimmers and cyclists on here.  8* 800m fills me with dread, 16 or 24! 
    Wardi - car parks mmmm interesting.  
    So for the Yeovil train, who is going to be Casey Jones on the Cannonball express? 
  • CharlieWCharlieW ✭✭✭
    Jooligan -- my 10K PB is 34:14, but I was a young 40-something back then. Surprised myself by doing a couple of sub-35s in 2016 though. So 36 min is quite reasonable for me -- I just meant I wouldn't expect to win a 10K on a fast course in that time though!

CD -- that's right, 2 appointments at St George's, but one of the scans (MRI or CT) somewhere else (Barts?).

I've recently removed my 24 hour monitors, which was quite a relief -- having a tangle of tubes and wires overnight, with the thing making a beep and squeezing my arm every 30 mins, wasn't conducive to a nice sleep. But the enforced lack of exercise means my legs have had a rest, so I should be doing the 5K club mob match this evening (unless I feel I just need to sleep by then!).

• JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Talking of fast 10Ks this might be of interest for the pot hunting speedsters. https://sites.google.com/view/summer-speedway/home

• PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

CW - if it's the same ramp test I did on the bike, I think I failed at 410W, but that probably gives you a better W/kg than me! Sounds like the same sort of study I volunteered for a few years ago, partly as I was worried about my heart and wanted a load of tests done.

Dan - sounds like a good trip except for the journey back!

JoeB - didn't realise you ran St Albans last year. That's pothunting at it's finest! Nice intervals - they can be quite enjoyable when done at a slightly slower pace.

CW - not sure on the number of prizes but I would guess at 3 per AG.

TR - good miles, 10+10 must be worth around 16M or so.

Descriptions of running routes around Chamonix is making me very jealous, I've never been to the Alps in the summer.

Something a bit different on Tuesday - instead of track intervals the club organised a load of "races" to let people have a go at some shorter stuff and get unofficial PBs. I wasn't going to hammer myself so offered to pacemake the 3000m and 5000m. The 3000 didn't really go to plan as a couple of guys wanted 10min pace, but a junior went off really fast (70s first lap). I slowly reeled him in but then he put in a sprint to finish ahead of me, I did 9:47.

The 5000m was more successful as a guy was hoping to get under 17 mins, but I knew he could comfortably do that. Our splits were 3:20, 3:23, 3:18, 3:17, 3:14 for 16:32 - I only picked the pace up because he was started to come alongside me in the 3rd km so obviously felt good.

So 5M in total at a good pace, but with a 45 minute rest in the middle while people did some 800m and 400m races. Weirdly my calves felt really sore on the 3000 and between the two efforts, but fine on the 5000. And not too bad yesterday/today so hopefully they've recovered now.

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    OO - crab can be Casey, LMH the conductor and I'll shovel the coal.

Padams- I'll take 16. Was thinking it' got to be worth 13 or 14 at least.

I usually do 2m30s reps (So shorter than 800m), but did 12 x 3min last week, aiming for a few more tomorrow .

Need to get some toaster defences in place. Was knocked clean off my feet by a dog today, waiting to see what hurts when I try to run in the morning.
  • TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Just popped in to wish TRLMH, and CRAB good luck as I thought Yeovil was this weekend (you're all doing Yeovil, right?). Turns out I'm a bit early. 

Looks like the usual good training and racing going on.

I've had a shocking couple of weeks. I caught a nasty summer cold from Miss TT which meant I gave the bank holiday 10k I'd planned a miss. I then entered a local series thinking the first race was this week, only to realise it was last Thursday. Long story short, I shouldn't have run as I felt rough jogging Wed + Thurs, but did. It was low-key so a controlled 35:53 (17:40/18:13 - current 10km/HM paces?) was enough to win comfortably, but I swapped the cold for a nasty ear and throat infection - I know, rookie mistake to race whilst ill, even a controlled race.

My last uni assignment for the year is due in just under 2 weeks, so the plan is to rebuild mileage whilst nailing that, and then crack on for the summer. Will try stick my head in more often.