Sub 3

Comments

• Conversely Triathlon X does have a strange appeal here.  Probably because I've never done the Fred.  I can see how something like that might put you off, in the same way that the Izoard might put you off Embrunman.  Or not.
  • Goodness me 267 posts to catch up with! It has been busy here. 

I'm after some very quick advice. I'm running the London 10000 on Monday. Hoping for a PB. My question : would a full on Parkrun effort on Saturday be a good or bad idea? is two days enough to be tip top come Monday morning. My thoughts are that a Parkrun PB will be good motivation. Training has been going very well. But should i just save myself for Monday's race? 
  • UDS - personally I'm not going to go all out at parkrun on Saturday, because I've learned that I need more recovery after a hard effort than I used to, even a 5k.  It certainly won't make me quicker on Monday, that's for sure.  Others swear by a hard 5k a few days before a marathon, but that's not quite the same as going all out with a full on effort.
  • Cheerful Dave. You running L10000 too then? I imagine others on this forum could be too. What time are you targeting if I can ask? Fancy pacing me around to a 36.30? That's my A Goal but quite out there! Anything under 37 would be amazing. 
  • P.S. I wasn't actually asking for you to pace. It actually sounded like a full on proposition. 
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    Upcoming Thread Marathons

Jooligan     Dorchester           27th May
    LMH           Yeovil                  10th June
    TR
    CRAB
    Dan A         Mont Blanc 90K    29th June
    OuchOuch  Mont Blanc 42K     1st July
  • CharlieWCharlieW ✭✭✭
    I was away all this week so just catching up after a brief skim...

BEJ -- great work in your marathon (and the 3000m). Bouncy mohawk was one of two to overtake me in the second half at VLM, near the finish, your name for him is unmistakable! (Knows our own mohawked Njord.) On the big training runs close before the day though, my recovery is so awful I'll not be dropping my week of low-miles taper in the forseeable. I suspect a full-length training run a week out would be no bad thing if not too hard though, certainly worked for me before Brass Monkey...

SL -- again, big congrats on the NDW victory.

Good work on my track Padams, I probably should have been there myself, though 3000m would be rather short for me.

LMH -- if you learn how to pre-plot routes and follow them as a wiggly line on your watch, navigation is transformed. Definitely no fiddling around trying to follow route maps or instructions on the day.

Tidy work in Liverpool, Dan!

Really happy to hear your training going well TR, keep that hay safe.

So I was in a seaside town near Barcelona from Mon-Thurs for a work jolly. I fitted in as much running (and one half mile swim) as I could, but always limited by meeting up with my colleagues for dinner or travel, so I didn't do as much as I'd have liked -- good fun though, and no need for extra layers for heat training! Biked my commute today partly because of clobber to take back to the office and partly because I thought I'd run parkrun for a change tomorrow and then do longer runs on Sun/Mon, whereas if I held out for a 10k race on Monday it would prevent me from training much until then; I have a local half next weekend, so that's a minor target I'm aiming for.
  • I don't think my current Garmin does that Charlie though my old 310xt brick did. Which 10k?
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • CD - fair point..but in my defence I kind of signed up by default and had no idea what it was...or even how 'interesting' the Izoard was when I set out on the day but I was left in no doubt about halfway around the bike course.  I'd have to say I'd rate the Fred bike tougher though...pony road surface and 3 or 4 of the climbs genuinely take all you have to avoid toppling over...even with a soup plate on the back.  Brutal. Whilst not Scafell Pike the run isn't flat either - that was great to find out on race day...esp when you realise it's a multilap course so anything that goes up will go up again.  Awesome race though.  If I could only ever do one more race it would definitely make the short list.

OO - I may have been away a bit but I still haven't changed my opinion on being added to lists by anyone but myself. Thankyouplease.

As you were.

• LMH - Nearly bought some Hyperspeed that were a half size too small, but went sensible at the last minute. They are definitely discontinued and it looks like the last 11.5 has gone for ever! Wardi - feel your pain with the NB,  honestly don't get these companies sometimes.

Good luck CD on Monday, see you before the start no doubt UDS - I'm on the 6.59 from LB - gets to Euston 7.54. Race starts at 10.00.

• That could have been painful Simon. Have youresearched other makes equivalents? I won a pair of NB trainers - had to be NB even though I don’t wear them - so asked for their equivalent of my favourite Bostn Boost and am getti g along with them quite well (though the Bostons are still my shoe of choice).
  • TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    SC2 - check out the Brooks Hyperion; that's what I've gone for to replace the Hyperspeed.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    6m easy yday, and 12 today to bring up 78 for the week. Had planned to go further today but I was lacking in time, energy and enthusiasm.
  • The work is done until the day now TR - time to get your bounce back.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    17 done in 2.18. Hot and humid, was glad to stop.

Time to wrap the toaster in cotton wool, it's finally time to ease up.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    TR - Time for the finishing touches now.
    23.5 hilly miles in 3.30 hrs not helped by forgetting to pack any food. But felt OK at the end. 80 miles again for the week. 
    Now off swimming with the nipper and back for the Giro and see Froome making cycling history and see if I can spot my brother in law in the crowd. 

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Good going that I'm a hot day OO.
  • So London 10,000 ended up as a nice even 18:13/36:30 run, a lot better than I'd have hoped for.  A few seconds quicker than last year as it turns out, so can't complain at all.  Junior, as expected for a 15 year old and despite numerous warnings on what not to do, ran the first mile in 5:36 and paid the penalty from there, not really having the endurance to get away with it, finishing in 40:11.  Still pleased with himself though, which is the main thing.
  • You can still beat him CD  :) Nice pacing.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Don't be too harsh on the lad CD, after all you can't blame a schoolboy for a schoolboy error  ;)  Nice run from yourself too, I assume it got you reasonably high up in your age group? 
  • Wardi - I was 8th in AG.  Two finished one second quicker than I did, although the idiosyncrasies of chip times mean I couldn't actually chase anyone for position.
  • Nice to get that final one in the bag TR - rest up now! 

CD - very nicely paced, it was nice and warm out there yesterday. Seems like you could teach the lad a thing of two about pacing  ;) 

padams - On a dream day I'd love to run sub-3 off the bike, but I think that's a stretch. I've done a 3:09, but I know it's a big jump from there. 

16 miles (8mm) on Saturday, lots of bike miles on Sunday and Monday, and 18x800 on the track this morning aiming for HM-ish pace for the reps. Ended up averaging 2:54s but it was a real struggle, had zero in the legs from the start. Very pleased to tick that one off. 
  • Dan ADan A ✭✭✭
    OO / TR - good long running there on a hot weekend.
    CD - keeps him in his place for another year at least!  Always impressive depth in that race.

Had a good weekend abroad in Chamonix getting some early season mountain prep in before the Mont Blanc 90k in four weeks time.  Disastrous outward journey though; our Thursday 7pm flight was finally cancelled at 11pm meaning a taxi home and return in the morning, so got there a day late and only able to fit in a four hour run/hike on the first day, which five days after the Liverpool marathon was enough to hurt the quads sufficiently on the long downhill trails.

Better on Saturday.  Did the first 30k of the UTMB & last 30k of the TdS races with over 2.5k of climbing.  Was out for 8 hours which included a fair bit of snow climbing (with crampons) over the highest pass and down the other side.  Had planned to stop for food & drink at the town of Les Contamines, but it was still not open for the summer season, so had to do with only a single Clif Bar as my food for the whole day.

Bit hungover on the Sunday after meeting with some people we knew to watch the Champions League final, but got a lift over the Swiss border to run the second half of the 90k.  Another 3k of ascent/descent but there was so much snow that some of the highest parts of the course are inaccessible (10 ft deep in places) that I had to err on the side of caution and take a few sensible detours.  Could easily get into deep trouble if you were ill equipped and too ambitious on trying to follow invisible paths down steep mountains.  Got another solid 7 hours in though, so very happy with the prep.  Quads are quite trashed though.

Can't see how they can host the 90k and MB marathon here in 4 weeks though without some major course modifications.  That much snow won't melt in time, so will be interesting.  Will be running the Race to the Tower 54 miler in two weeks, but not a target race.  Only name of interest on the start list though is the Welsh guy who helped the other guy down the Mall at VLM last year.  (think he's a sub 2.30 runner).  Maybe I can get him to hold my hand if CRAB isn't available!!
  • Eight hours on a Cliff Bar Dan? Impressive endurance!

You are putting in some great training Joe.

Nearly ended my Yeovil chances today, had one of those gut wrenching turning my ankle moments on some cobbles where I couldn't weight bear on it initially, fortunately managed to walk it off and run the two miles home. Have iced it and am now crossing my fingers. I think I've got away with it..........
  • CharlieWCharlieW ✭✭✭
    Beautifully paced performance in the 10K CD, well done. A hot one, too.

Dramatic training expedition there Dan (sorry about the logistical dramas though).

LMH -- yes it's a real pain that Garmin have dropped the map screen from their "running" watches, keeping it only in the tri-oriented ones -- hence I have a 920XT. The new 735XT has it too. BUT there is at least one 3rd-party Connect IQ app (dwMap) which should work on other watches like the ?235, but I haven't tried it myself as I have a 'native' map screen anyway. I use www.bikehike.co.uk to pre-plot routes, and the venerable Training Center program to transfer them to my watch. And -- best of luck with the ankle!

Decent running weekend for me:
    Sat: 3M w/u, Cambridge parkrun (18:07, OK as it was a bit skiddy in places), another 12M steady
    Sun: creaky 10M with hills
    Mon: 17M steady at reasonable clip

I have races booked every other week for a bit (Flaming June half in Histon, near Cambridge; Bedford 10K; Bassingbourn half). I don't want to do a full taper for all of those or I'd end up losing fitness through sheer lack of training, so I'll do some kind of mini-taper instead.
  • Damn good training CW, summer halfs though - must be mad!

TT - Thanks for the Brooks recommendation, went for the Saucony A8 for the BUPA race in the end, and although I was just at that pre blisters stage, they were ok in the end, managed to do 33.07 and first V45, so happy with that. Likewise LMH. 

CD- Nice pacing...the impetuous youth eh? We've all been there. Hope you got through Trafalgar Square OK on the way out. Pissed me off like it did last year, it's too narrow. 
  • SC2 - very nice run, glad the shoes weren't an issue in the end.  As I recall I took the foot off the gas for a second as it narrowed going into Trafalgar Square, but it was just a stride or two so no big deal.  I got lucky I guess - that first km was my slowest of the race but only by a second.
  • CD- cheers, sounds like you avoided any major problems then. The problem is what I found last year and Dachs did this year..if you are ‘going for it’ then you try and make up the time in your 2nd K, it can muck your whole race up. 
  • Glad you had a good result both with the shoes and race SC.

I do have a 310xt still Charlie so good to revert to that if I really wanted to.
  • CD - big mistake having an athletic son. I have two non-athletic daughters.  Gonna be the fastest runner and longest driver in the family for a good while yet.  Decided not to encourage them at school too - save me a fortune in Uni costs and they won't be £50k in a hole by the time they're 25.  They'll thank me one day.  Could be in for some cheap runners when they sign up for SportsDirect too - WINNING.

Game of two halves this running lark, Saint(Jason).  Got busy Friday so called a rare rest day.  Saturday was a tick a box last long run.  Left the house with every intention of doing 20 and maybe chucking in a bit of a not on the masseur's menu ending.  Took every ounce of willpower to get to 8.5m before turning back.  Suffice to say it was closer to Dan A Embankment pace than MP.  Absolute sufferfest.  Felt pretty wiped out on Sunday as I set off for a 15m Hezza hunting session along the prom.  Ended up doing 17m over 20mins faster than the day before and whacked out a zero effort MP 10k in there. WTaF?  Just done some short sharp reps on the treadmill and all is good with the world again.  All ready to shunt the engine out of the sidings in under 2 weeks and see who wants to couple up...LMH can hop it if she has to.

As you were.