Sub 3

Comments

• Nice long run sj - it's good when they feel like that.

Forecast seems to be improving in most places TR - hope you get a break.

Sounds as though a rest was definitely the right thing Jooligan.

Berlin isn't going to happen next year - 125 euro entry so adding in flights, accommodation etc it's just too expensive  :(
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Blimey LMH that's an eye watering entry fee, the Spanish marathons are around half that!

A very fine 20m at sparrow o' clock SJ, more good preparation.

Great training day with a decent Park Run time Jooligan, perhaps the day off did you good.

Best of luck tomorrow TR though shame about the forecast.

Didn't quite get the cigar at Park run today, sub 21 just eluded me by a whisker with 21.02.  Still, I'm 30-40 seconds up on where I was a month ago so after the recent 20.55 I'll take it as solid consistency; added 6m on afterwards.  Club handicap race tomorrow morning, forecast has improved here from torrential rain to sunny intervals!
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Well parkran Wardi: cigars aren't that great for runners anyway :p
    I'm sure the day off did do some good. Cut back week coming up too. Just in time to act as a mini-taper for my tri next Sunday.
    125 Euros!!!! No f**kin way I'll ever be in Berlin either cause I don't do the lottery :D
  • Back from my work jolly to Copenhagen and reading back...:

ES -- congrats on the PB & podium! And I *am* in a marathon campaign, for Chester (now in 2 weeks). Having said that, I tend to throw in a properly long run now and then to keep my endurance adaptations ticking over between marathons too.

Cartman -- it's worth looking at HR and keeping it at a safely low level for the majority of a marathon -- considering the hills, our own Marigold [Steve Way] used HR very successfully to regulate his hill efforts in the Comrades I recall. I don't train by HR though.

SJ -- good stuff on the 20s, though my own preference of course is to go longer in training.

OO -- sounds like a fantastic day.

Wardi -- nicely done in the 10M, glad you didn't let the wind blow your target away!

JB -- fantastic, huge congrats on the win! Masterful.

Matiakez -- I used to be a low mileage guy and did pretty well off it, but did get a lot of niggly injuries. Now I'm doing a lot of slow ploddy miles and am a bit quicker, and injury free for years -- but it is time-consuming.

Jools -- 12 weeks is forever, good luck with the campaign.

Jooligan -- nice parkrun + training

Berlin may be expensive compared to London & Valencia etc, but sounds way cheaper than the likes of New York ($300 or something?). I'm always amazed what good value London is (though I know charity places are expensive).

I was away at a conference this past week with free drink available each evening and colleagues from the Spanish office in my hotel; but I lived like a hermit monk, sneaking off to run big miles morning and night, before retiring to my room with a prepacked pasta salad and alcohol-free beers from the bar. So after a training marathon last Sunday before I left, I got to 100M by Thursday morning, including an impromptu 20M+ LSR on Weds evening during the 'gala dinner'. Then rested until today, when I again did my favourite reps/tempo 'staircase' session to belatedly expose my legs to some (attempted) speed, followed by steady running to make it to a 2:58 marathon. That was my 9th marathon+ training run (counting my 70M ultra only as 1!) since VLM, but my last -- taper time now. Which I always enjoy. Chester marathon in 2 weeks.

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    Jools - good one on getting the miles in today, you have time for a couple more 20s yet.

Wardi - improving nicely.

CW - thats a better sequence of long runs in one week than ive done since i got going again at the end of July. You are well set for your mara.
  • Al_PAl_P ✭✭✭
    Evening all, been AWOL for a while in these parts, got out of the habit of checking in (again) life busy and all that! Not totally disconnected thanks to the joys of Strava and FB, so seen a few recent impressive escapades (SL's OCC run, CW's Camino adventure). 

I’ve not had massive focus over the summer, but did two trail 50k races and won both of them. The Serpent Trail 50k on the South Downs in July was damn hot, took a bit over 4 hours and I learnt the power of Saltstick tablets! In August I ran the 50k at the Salisbury 54321 event, temperatures were far more sensible and I ran 3:35 (with more elevation than the Serpent Trail). 

I’ve been in (puesdo) marathon training mode the last 6-7 weeks or so with Bournemouth in a few weeks time as the target. Got the same plan as CW to use it to qualify for the England Masters Champs at York next year. Doing the same 1/2 as TR tomorrow so will keep a look out and say hi. 
  • Race well TR and Al_P - hope the weather isn't too much of a factor.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    I did indeed meet al (and Ryan) today, both were looking lean and mean pre bournemouth mara. Was a bit worried when the car kept losing traction in tbe rain, but the rain relented a bit, although we had to have a bit of a paddle 3 times during the race. Was on for 1.23 but lost time into the wind 2nd half and ended 1.25.1X,  struggled a bit with fatigue today too so wasnt able to really push it. Hopefully would be abour 3vmins quicker by gosport given a better day/course and taper. 2m wu, 3m wd. No more racing for a while (3 1/2s in last 5 weeks), my stomach issue was there today as was a tight hammy snd achy ankle. Time to just run a few long runs and get fresh for Abo. Sub3 might be borderline.
    SPOs bday and ive been awol.
  • As autumn marathon season approaches it is time to delurk. I have been dipping in and reading thread but not going to try and summarise all the great performances since London otherwise I will be here all day.

I have been keeping things tipping over with a few half marathons - as a new V50 it is nice to get the odd age category win - though my last chance to step on the podium was cruelly taken from me when they mistakenly gave my trophy to an old (slower) runner -  all sorted now but those moments of fame have been few and far between in my running.

Race wise I have Abingdon coming up - just need to make sure I don't run another 3:00:03 like last year! Then Dan and Ms Dan have persuaded the beer is cheap enough in Valencia that it would be fun to run the marathon to develop a thirst.

Training had been going ok but picked up a cold in Norway couple of weeks ago (possibly a reaction to paying over £13 for a pint), followed by a drunken weekend in Edinburgh. So hoping to squeeze in a couple of decent soberish weeks training before 2 week taper.

Will try to  post more and comment on all your amazing training.

• TR - well done on battling on in the half in less than ideal conditions. Good to hear you are still on for Abo. Hopefully we can pace each other round for sub3
  • Well raced TR. Low 1:25 in the conditions seems like a very decent effort to me. Lets hope the weather's on our side for Abo. I've had shitty luck so far this year with marathons in that respect.
    Backed up yesterday's LR with 14.3M today. It's a tough route which I did in December & again in February. Basically up for 5K, down 1K, up 5K then turn around. Legs were a bit creaky in the first K but I trotted up easily enough once I'd loosened off & was pleased to find I was 4 minutes quicker to the turnaround than my previous outings. I then decided to descend at a reasonable clip finishing with a 6:48 & a 6:38 mile. Legs so much stronger this season which I put down to a return to hilly running.
  • saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Nicely done TR in less than ideal conditions. Those 3 1/2's plus the BAC sessions must give you confidence the leg turnover is good for sub3. As you say, a few weeks left for a couple more longer runs but I wonder if adding the miles either side of these 1/2's plus the decent midweek mileage equates to suitable long runs anyway. 

Good to see TickTock posting and another towing the line at Abo. 

6 easy miles today taking me over 60 for the week. Managed to avoid the urge to run a leg of the Northern road relays despite it being at Sport City (Man City's ground) 3 miles from my front door (I had family stuff on anyway). 
  • That's a pricey pint TickTock!

I think that with another couple of weeks training and tapered the sub 3 will be there TR. I've found my stomach is much better since I've been on the probiotic (let me know if you want a link) and that on race day now I need to stop eating two hours prior to the race and take an imodium - never used to have issues and no idea why they started but this regime seems to make them manageable.

Nice restraint sj.
  • good training Jooligan and SJ - so you both doing abo as well, any targets?  What are your race plans LMH?
  • saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    x-post Jooligan - that's a decent weekend of training banked. 

TickTock - target at Abo is beat my PB (2:57:15) which is from Lochaber 2009 !! In my defence I have had some mediocre years in-between where running took a back seat to career/life.

However, this year I have made the time and after a comeback 2:57:56 in the 2015 (short) Manchester marathon and 3:11 in Manchester this April (lost training to bad weather/short illness) I feel in good shape to get close. I honestly haven't trained as consistently as I have since 2009/10. Shameful waste of years but it is what it is. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    All aboard then Tick Tock, good to see you are still at it.

LMH - external not internal, the sore muscle thing again.

LMH, SJ - hopefully tbe 1/2s have pushed my fitness on. I was only thinking today that i was aerobically comfortable at 6.20s, so hopefully 6.4X will be do-able. Then 6.40ish was a struggle into the wind. I'm aware that the marathon training is scuppering he 1/2 times a bit, i just didnt have the ability to push hard today (due to fatigue? I did the longest BAC session this week).
  • Yes I'm at Abo TickTock. I'm still not convinced I've done enough LRs to be troubling sub-3 so GFA (3:10) will be the target. Ideally more like 3:06 to beat my 3:07 from 2 years ago at Abo which was my first crack at sub-3. That said I may get caught up with the madness come race day :p
    What's the probiotic LMH & do you use it every day? I've had troublesome digestive issues on more than just the recent 10M. I put it down to nerves & caffeine - I don't usually drink coffee except pre-race. Problems seem to arise after about 6-8M if they're going to.  
  • Al_PAl_P ✭✭✭
    Thats's decent lumpy MLR the day after a LR Jooligan

Nice to catch up with TR & RyanS at the Solent Half this morning. The weather before hand looked very unappealing but then while we were stood at the start the rain started to ease off and stayed that way for the whole race, the sun even came out for a bit around halfway  B) I was purely running to see what I could do given current fitness vs. training fatigue. I did 70M Mon-Weds last week and then tapered off 9/6/3M singles from Thursday. Aerobically I was in good shape, with my heart rate not doing anything troubling, but my legs were complaining a fair bit and capping my speed. Forced myself up into a group of 5 after a mile and stuck with them. By halfway I was on for a sub 75 but then we turned north into the wind in mile 9 and things slowed down. I managed to stay at the front of the group but there was only me and one other left by the time we pushed up the only decent incline on the course. The last couple we gently uphill, into the wind and not a lot of fun, but the two of us ground it out. With 1/2M to go my compatriot created a 10-20 yard gap and held it with the 'sprint' into the finish line. Scores on the door were 6th in 75:50. Not bad, one more week and then a 8 day taper into Bouremouth.
  • Looks like some good racing at the Solent Half today, despite a bit of wind. 

Nice backing up the LR with another, Jooligan.

Hope Abingdon goes OK, welcome back Tick Tock.

We were dropping the eldest at Uni this weekend, so settled for 16 along the canal in Birmingham.  Cold and wet, but apart from that decent enough.

• I'd put it down to training fatigue TR. Are you doing any core work such as planks?

Jooligan I use Ohso - you eat a bar a day, and very nice it is too.

Nothing entered until London TickTock.

Signs are good Al_P.
  • Al_PAl_P ✭✭✭
    TR - Well run yesterday, it wasn't an ideal day. I found the last couple of miles very tough, if I hadn't had someone to run in with I would have been struggling to keep going! 

CD - Good getting 16M fitted in.

Jooligan - We got given some Kefir 'grains' (culture of probiotic bacteria & yeasts) from some friends to start making our own fermented Kefir yogurt (from milk) Been doing it for a month or so now, but not sure I've seen any benefits as yet...
  • Some big mileage going on e.g. CW, Jooligan, SJ.

TR - that's a pretty good run in those conditions and should equate to a sub-3 taking into account taper and better conditions. Just need to keep it ticking over now and freshen up as you say.

I only had a 45 minute window on Saturday morning but luckily the club were doing a hill reps session, so 10x1min hills within about 6.5M in total was a good workout in the time available. Then just 6M yesterday in the rain.

We're off on holiday on Wednesday - not sure if that will mean more or less running, but with no races on the horizon it doesn't really matter. As long as I keep the press-ups going - less than 100 days to go!

• Ticktock  - ah, I remember Norwegian alcohol prices from earlier this year.  Great for ensuring you don't drink too much on holiday!

TR: if conditions down south on Sunday were anything like Bristolian conditions on Thursday and Friday then you can't take the time as proof of your current fitness: I'm sure it's really worth 1.22/1.23 and you should be fine, especially with a taper.  
    Good result for Al by the sounds of things.

I was away for a family get-together over the weekend, and although the Lake District is beautiful, it's a heck of a long way away: 13 hour round trip!  Still, I squeezed in 6 on Saturday and 13 on Sunday, and will get my long run done today (the 13 is really on this week's schedule, so I'll do two long runs this week instead and mess up my weekly stats!).
  • Al_P -- well done again on those 50K victories! And nice one in the half, too. And I will be in York for the 2019 marathon too, regardless of whether I make the masters team again (though fingers crossed).

TR -- great effort in the half, the water jumps and wind won't have helped. Best of luck for Abo.

TT-- £13 for a pint has to be some kind of season's best.

Like CD we were on uni drop-off detail, hence I did my big run on Sat before we left -- but I jogged a few miles round York yesterday on fragile legs too. Rest today, as the taper has started; I'll do some reps tomorrow or Weds, and a bit more general running, then rest up for a couple of days before my traditional MP try-out at the weekend, one week out.

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    Al - you are in good shape, that was a quick time on a togh day/course. Hopefully you'll have a better day for bournemouth.

Joolska - hopefully you are right with 1.22/3.

Charlie- how far will your long run be this weekend, 1 week out?

Enjoy yr hols padams, keep thr press ups going.

Hopefully you folks are right about the taper seeing me approsch sub3 shape. Its been humbling setting personal worse times on local courses as i try to get fit again, however there is no place for any ego in a marathon build up/return to fitness.

Stomach/groin issue is sore today, but hopefully it'll settle, i thought i was over that. 6m easy was ok today though.
  • PWs they may be TR but they're still good times & certainly quick enough to give you a decent shot at sub3 in Abo. Just don't push the training too hard at this stage & overcook yourself.
    Cracking racing there Al. That's a 100+M for the week by my reckoning too. Tried some Kefir a while ago but couldn't be arsed tbh.
    Standard CW. I predict another 2:38/39 outing.
    Just 5M at lunch today along the canal, so nice & flat. Really pleased with how bouncy the legs felt after such a big w/e. Lovely day for it too: sunny, still & cool. Cycle commute was heaven :)
  • TR -- the taper has a massive effect for me, hope it does for you too. As for my last long run (usually Sat before, so 8d out)... usually it would be about 14M (6M steady, 6M MP trial, bit to get home). But with the weather forecast I did 10M heat acclimatisation after the MP trial for VLM this year to total 22M that morning, and had a great race. So I don't think it's too critical. I need to do any final heat stress runs the previous weekend as my remaining little taper tune-up runs are too short to get hot, and I don't want to run them overdressed anyway.

Jooligan -- ha, it's true my standard deviation is about 30 sec in my marathon times over the past few years! Always ~2:39. But while I've said it before, I do fear my years are actually catching up with me now... my ultra adventures on holiday may not have helped, either. We'll see.
  • TR: I hear you - in my race last week I was beaten by people I would usually beat with ease.  Fitness is hard won and easily lost, but if you can win it once, you can win it back again!
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Jooligan - agreed, keep calm and carry on.

Charlie - so anywhere between 14 and 22? Although you wont be needing heat adaptations, we have run through some hot weather this summer.

Joolska - thats it indeed, but like you say the fitness wil hopefully come back. I looked back and my time at Gosport last november (which was my first race back) was 6 secs slower than i ran this sunday. As sunday was on a slower course on a windy day in a mara campaign, im taking it as progress.

Legs felt ok today during 8m easy, so i obviously had some in reserve sunday. Had longsleeves, hat and gloves on as it was frosty (already).
  • Dan ADan A ✭✭✭
    LMH - don't enter Boston (US version); that cost me $250 plus flights almost double that.  Will be calling upon distant fringe friends for accomm.  US races are all super expensive apparently; NY is about $350 now I think, though when I last did it in '06 it was under a hundred.  UTMB is "only" €170 and you get a day and a half's running out of that!

Getting some road fitness back after a summer of off road.  About 80-90 miles pw in Sept with 3 hr runs the last few weekends.  Doing Abo as my longest training run for Valencia.  Last couple of years I've done it as a 1.35/1.32 -ve split, but might try a bit quicker this year and go for as close to 3hrs as I can without pushing too far into the red.