Sub 3

Comments

• TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    Congrats on the pb ES and a sterling effort Wardi!
  • Well done Wardi. Where did you go to celebrate afterwards?

Marders won it according to my twitter feed (he was interviewed) 2.27 I think?

13xc @ 8s on Saturday and lads footy yesterday.

Whats the current footwear trends for off road running?
    I'm still in Adidas tempos for now as trails are still dry.
    x talons if Its pissed down and I'm on the park near me.

My S labs Id use for long offroads are very tired and need replacing, ideally with something that will stop me from going A over T but alright for some tarmac sections too
    - any suggestions?
  • PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

Results say Marders won!

Wardi - that's a fantastic improvement, hope you celebrated it appropriately!

ES - tidy HM there, the weather must have cost you a bit of time although at least it was cool I guess.

Jools - great XC/long run combo.

TR - good to hear you've for the last weekend out of the way and the niggles are holding up.

Checked out JoeB's result - I thought he would be a bit quicker (especially in those conditions), but hopefully he's happy and enjoyed it.

6.5M for me on Friday evening inc. some strides, then 9M on Saturday morning with some clubmates - out and back, steady on the way out (6:5x), faster back (6:0x), felt fairly comfortable. Nothing yesterday though - was a bit busy and couldn't bring myself to squeeze in a run in those conditions.

• Well done SJ, Jooligan & Jools in the club races.

Congrats for your PB in the half, ES!

Wardi -- yay, sounds like you had a great result there (despite the rain).

I've got a horrible cold, but rather now that before my marathon. Tried a gentle run on Sat but at 6d after the race, it was still too soon -- the legs I thought were DOMS-free quickly protested. However, I did plod 3M to work this morning OK.

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    WTGY.. yes I heard the Marders interview on the radio as 1st place male.  Had to laugh when he referred to his Berlin run 4 weeks ago and said 'Im technically still in recovery'. :) The results mix up was bizarre, no idea how they cooked that up!

York Marathon race report.. as it was raining fairly persistently I arrived at the start in a pair of waterproof trousers (a recent and timely birthday present!) and a poncho that I still had from one of the Barca marathons.  Unless you were one of the elites there were no undercover areas or marquees to shelter under so I prepared for the race under a tree :/ .  T Shirt with club vest, shorts and cap plus gloves turned out to be a good choice, I never felt too hot or cold when running.  I kept the poncho on until the start then dumped it.
    All the miles up to 20 were around 8mm, I knew aaround 16/17m that things were going well so pressed on.  The pace did fade a little from 20-24 and the last 2m were a bit of a death march but I knew my sub 3:35 was in the bag by then.  I was pounced on at the end by two of the girls in my club who had stayed in the rain supporting - hugs and photos followed.  I was first runner back from my club - most of the 'youngsters' in the club who all occasionally beat me in shorter races were trailing in my wake.  Nice to have my day in the sun, or rather, rain.
    It was still raining at the end so I did start to get a bit cold.  Retrieved my bag from the bag drop and managed to get some warm clothes on (with partially functioning limbs!) under an open sided bike shelter :s I then had to try and operate my phone with numb fingers to summon my lift from Mrs Wardi.  She was equally soggy from spectating on the course. 
    Had a few beers in my hometown in the afternoon, nipped home for a celebratory curry then went out for a few more beers so a cracking day all told.
    We're off to Portugal (Faro) tomorrow for a bit of R&R, sun & beer.  It looks a very pleasant 23/24 degrees over there so looking forward to it.

I'm am now anticipating Joe's 24 page report (well it is a long event). :)  
  • Well raced Wardi. Nice touch getting first place from your club.
    Gentle 5M@7:55 on the TM(2%) at lunch with HR averaging 130 so that's encouraging. Got to keep the lid on & let it simmer for the rest of the week now.
  • Happy holidays Wardi - I can't say I overly enjoyed my cold, wet run this morning having come back from mine.

I'm looking forward to Joe's report too. What I've read seems to indicate a good day weather wise and a fast course.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Yeah, my recovery run this morning was grim, too.

Well done, Wardi and enjoy your hols.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    I thought Marders won too, he was shown as 4th, but was the 1st runner.

Wardi - enjoy the hols, keep celebrating ydays performance. You will have to find rainy races from now on.

Jooligan - keep it easy, and keep the safety pins locked up until Sunday.

LMH - good job its mild at the mo.
  • Nicely done once again Wardi, enjoy the holiday, not jealous in the slightest :) 

LMH/Jools - kudos for getting out there.

CW - hope cold improves. 

Padams - anything in the diary or are you in maintain mode? You seem to be able to tick along nicely, natural ability I guess.

Jooligan - steady as she goes. Assume you got out for some easy miles too TR ? 

5 easy at this end. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    SJ - 4m easy, its getting to the "whats the point stage", might chuck a few strides in tomorrow. Only downside is all this tapering is hitting my 3000 for this year target, next week will only have 26m it too! I might have to run a decent amount in November and December.
  • Great run Wardi and souns like a good performance  on the post race celebrations. Enjoy the holiday.

ES as I said on Strava,  great pb  and glad the hard training paid off.

Rest day today. Will do 6 tomorrow with 1 or 2 @ MP
  • TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    WTGY - I'm equally interested in trail shoe recommendations. I've got a pair of Walsh that I find too firm for my liking.

CW - the cold might have been lurking pre-marathon which might have explained your deviation from your usual results.

Wardi - nicely done on beating the kiddies. Enjoy Portugal!

It was drizzly when I got out for my 'long' run today, but nice overall so it sounds like I got lucky with the conditions. Aim is to do these steady (current MP + 10-12.5%) so I picked a distance that I figured I could do that would feel ok at that effort but that another 5km would have left my legs a bit more fatigued than I would have liked. 20km was spot on, with 5km splits of 21:09, 21:02, 20:56, 20:36. Felt comfy throughout so I'm hopeful thing will come back quickly with a few good weeks under my belt (to replace the timber that needs to be removed from under my belt).
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    TT in big bloater shock! ;) Nice 4x5k combo there, I'm sure it will all come back gradually.

Jools.. I noted in the York results that Annabel from your club had a stormer in 2:52.  Her half to full marathon conversion is very impressive!

Hope all you Abo lads enjoy the taper, I'm back Saturday so will be eagerly tracking results on the Sunday.  Hope you get a drier day than me!
  • saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Wardi - hmm, very impressive on day-boo too. 

TT - I run anything slightly sticky in Walsh PB Ultra. Wide feet like flippers so can't squeeze into spikes for XC or most proper running shoes (Nike/Adidas). Nice 20k too. 

TR - know what you mean, nothing to gain at this point. Even the 3 miles @MP I have scheduled tonight seems excessive.

TickTock - feeling good about the weekend? 
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Yes, a very good marathon debut, Wardi: think she now tops the fv45 rankings!
  • TT - one of my mates got some inov8 park claws - they’re billed as the trainer that is good on road and off, not too heavy and the drop isn’t too shallow, I’m waiting to hear how he’s gone with them
  • PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

TT - I wear some Inov8s (RocLite 285 maybe?) for some XC races, but they're quite firm on the road. Nice "long run", that's a pretty good pace as a starting point.

SJ - funny you should ask, I entered a 10M race yesterday, it's next Sunday. Just a small local one, quite undulating, so would be pleased with about 57mins.

6M yesterday lunchtime nice and easy, intervals this evening - not sure what the schedule says, something like 8x800 IIRC.

• TT / PADAMS Ive pulled the trigger on roclite 290s. My mate said the park claws will be crap on the routes we do in a few weeks. And these seem pretty well recommended for anything I'll be doing.
    Sportshoes have them at a good price though not in my size so I went to petebland sports for mine.

Ive also ordered a running girdle (Salomon belt) that looks to be able to hold phone / drink / gel / key / dog lead / shitbags for longer offroads
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    2.52 on debut is the way to do it. Although its a better effort as an F45 than the M40 i was.

No trail shoes here, the only off road i do is getting from my back gate to the road.

4m inc 5 x30sec strides.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    WTG - a girdle ? Playtex or Berlei?
  • Dan ADan A ✭✭✭
    Inov8 parkclaws were the trainers I had which fell apart after only three wears and went into the bin.  OK, they were three ultras this summer on rough ground, but would have expected a bit more life than that. Inov8 returns people fobbed me off when I wrote to them, so couldn't really recommend, though hopefully mine was an isolated case.

Well marathoned Wardi; impressive to beat the younger club members too.
    Nice half ES - I've done that race twice and have been really impressed.  They moved the date this year so it clashed with an event in London I was working at this year unfortunately.

Looking forward to Abo on Sunday.  Will do about 80 miles this week in total, so if I can get round in as close to 3 hrs as possible, that will be very satisfactory.  Got a mate who's running his second ever marathon and first for 5 years.  He's done one long run over 13 miles and it nearly killed him. Might have to wait a while before we can join in the post race beers!
  • What do you always say TR - it's a taper not a rest!  :)

Jealous of those running Abo on Sunday - I've missed my autumn marathon this year, will need to get my request in early and plan better next year.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Cheers Dan, all the best for Sunday- that's one hell of a taper week 😕

LMH.. come to York Marathon next year!  It's the Masters championships so lots of fast vets will surely be in attendance.  I know me & Charlie will be there so a thread day out is forming already.

Just enjoying a beer in the sunset here, just the ticket for my sore legs  :p
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Dan - hopefully i can keep up,  if youve run that many miles in the week before.

LMH - agreed, its the only time id bother to run a few miles as a run. Id go to Chester or York given where you live. I'll probably do IoW as its the closest mara to home and i really should support it sometime. I struggled so much in the 1/2 there this year that i couldnt face going twice as far, in a slow time.

Was on the road in the big van today, got it in early in the week as i knew it'd aggravate my hammy. We'll see how it feels tomorrow for a few miles and strides.
  • Does Abo get included in the 80 Dan?
    A celebratory beer well earned Wardi.
    Another 5M for me with 6x0.2M off 0.3M. Legs felt more fluid after the efforts.
  • TR https://www.peteblandsports.co.uk/buy/salomon-pulse-belt_6773.htm

I'm sure you've seen better girdle pics before

Give me off road over road any day of the week (certainly at the moment for base training)
  • Great racing Wardi and ES - top stuff. 

Have fun this Sunday Dan, hope it goes well. 

Padams hit the nail on the head. After reflecting on the result I'd definitely have like to gone quicker, but at the same time, the entire experience was amazing and I'll only ever look back with fond memories. 

I'm not a strong swimmer (relatively), and I knew this would be further highlighted in a field like this. A 1:12 split for the 2.4 miles left me back in 91st in my age-group and it's really something that just has to be better if I want to be more competitive. The swim itself was the best I've ever done, lovely warm water and plenty of fish swimming below to distract you.

On to the bike and I discovered quickly that my legs weren't going to fully co-operate. I think it might have been a case of one race too many this season - I'd felt knackered ever since Ironman UK but knew I had to train through to Kona and try and give it my best shot. The course is deceptively hilly but conditions were kind with minimal wind. 4:53:49 for 112 miles, my fastest ever for an ironman but again, I feel like there should be much more there. Up to 77th.

The run is usually where I hope to make a serious move, but from mile 2 I realised it was just going to be a game of survival. It was like running in an oven, with temps well above 30 degrees and zero breeze. I made an immediate decision to walk every aid station (one every mile), to throw as much ice and water down me as possible in an attempt to keep cool.

Once through the first 10 miles you're sent out on to the Queen K highway, which you run a 12 mile out and back on, with no spectators allowed. It's a desolate place and I felt like I was being cooked alive. Passing halfway I calculated a 2 hour 2nd half would bring me in under 10 hours, so I just settled for that and put it into 3rd gear. I didn't want to push too hard and risk not making it back. Ended up with a 3:34 marathon and a 9:49 overall time, 62nd in my age group.

Running down the finish chute was super special and an experience I'll never forget. Even though from a racing perspective, I didn't have anywhere near the result I wanted, the experience more than made up for that. 

Unfortunately, this isn't even the full report and I'll do a proper one for my blog, which will more than likely be a short novel :smiley:

Look forward to a bit of downtime now and a mental reset, before heading to Valencia marathon for a bit of fun and a few beers.
  • If you're offering B&B I could be tempted Wardi  :) Unfortunately although it's close York would still require an overnight stay.

Hope your hamstring is ok today TR.
  • TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    WTGY/Padams - I've gone for the inov8 x-talon 212 as that's about my usual weight of trainer and inov8 seem to have the best rep.

sj - I find the Walsh' I've got too hard underfoot (though the upper is very comfy).

Padams - the plan is to keep all my long runs at that comparative pace. One of those a week, 1 fartlek session, and 1 track session, with the rest real easy. Good luck for the 10m this weekend.

Joe - it sounds like an amazing experience. Well done and recover well.