Sub 3

Comments

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    On a brighter note, best of luck to the Abo crew!
  • Dan ADan A ✭✭✭
    Joolska - about time someone prosecuted a driver for nearly mowing down cyclists & runners.  You must know someone who could help  :) Recently I was nearly killed by a motorist accelerating to beat a red light.  They misjudged by about 3-4 seconds and went through the light at about 50 mph.  Luckily I was paying attention and could see what was going to happen so held back despite the green man showing.  It was night but I had a super bright headtorch so no excuses.

TR - I'll be there first thing (permission to park in the track car park, as I'm helping a friend sell some bits and pieces before & after).  Reckon I've done about 75 miles in the past 7 days, but feeling pretty good so fingers crossed it will go OK.

Padams - you still knocking out the press-ups?  I'm amazed how hard I find them since I stopped this year after a full 66k of them in 2017  :'(
  • Have you sorted out someone to do your Brass entry Wardi? Would you recommend York as an autumn target marathon? Do you have to collect your number the day before?

How are you feeling Joolska?
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    LMH.. yes my best mate offered to man his PC at 7am for my BM entry tomorrow.  A bottle of his favourite Malbec will be due if he succeeds.

Yes York is a decent event.  Well organised by the 'run for all' crowd.  There is one steady climb at 9-10m and one almost at the end but neither are severe and are compensated by downhill shortly afterwards.  The numbers are posted out to runners a week or so before.  If you stay in the city centre there is a regular shuttle bus to/from the start before and after.  Charlie has done it before too.. he nearly always PB's in Yorkshire 😉

• Cheers Wardi -  needs an overnight you think?
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Jooligan - see you there then.

OO - 4 ? Not sure i can produce that many.

Jools - ouch, hope its just short term damage and you can run ok.

Dan - hopefully that 75m slows you to my pace then.

Thanks for the good wishes. I have the feeling that I'm about to sit a (sub 3) exam that i might not be good enough to pass anymore. But hopefully i can have a strong run, finally get some ROI and come out of it feeling i can do better at Brighton. Im looking forward to a beer !
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Left knee isn't quite right walking downstairs so I'll rest and ice today as a precaution and hopefully do some easy running tomorrow.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    LMH - i like the look of York or Chester, but they are too far away and im goin IoW (although it will be a slowie).
  • You are more than welcome to a bed for the night if it would help TR.

Not good Joolska - did you decide to report the incident?
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    LMH - a kind offer, but they are too far away for me, good for you though..
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Doesn't really seem worth it when I've no name or numberplate and no witnesses. I doubt they'd trawl cctv for a small rtc with minimal injury.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    LMH..you are welcome to stay at Wardi towers pre York if it helps.  Sat night nosh plus chauffeur drive to the start drop off point (5 mins walk to the race village)  Mrs Wardi picks us up afterwards from the same place if practical.  We do rattle around our house a bit so plenty of space and spare rooms.  Pre race treadmill warm up available. ☺
  • That's a very kind offer Wardi - and may just make it doable. I'll have a chat to Mark - as long as he doesn't want to go on holiday then he'd probably be quite happy for me to go off for the weekend on my own, not quite so happy if he has to give up his weekend.

True Joolska though I have called in and reported incidents that I've witnessed before.
  • Wardi -- gah sorry, having done the Brass Monkey entry process (I'm in!), I realise it allows one to book up to 5 runners in one transaction. So I could have done yours too without resorting to two PCs or whatever. I also entered the York Marathon last week, on the very day it opened, but thanks anyway for the discount code! Brass Monkey will again be my birthday weekend celebration -- only MV49 though so not auspicious in age category terms.
  • jools, you should report it even if it ends up being just a statistic.  You can't be expected to be 100% with it after being knocked off your bike and she's taken advantage of that.  It was her responsibility to make sure details were exchanged and in not doing so it's little better than a hit and run.  I hope there's no long term damage.

Good luck to those racing this weekend.
  • saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Jools - that's very annoying to say the least especially as you had been getting back into things recently. Glad you weren't too seriously hurt. Hope the knee settles down with the ice and you are back out there.

TR - Will aim to arrive at the college for 7:45 too. Have support crew with me so getting Jnr up at that hour might prove tricky. We're staying locally to avoid the 3 hour drive in the morning.

Last little jog completed. Almost forgot to turn round after a mile. Training all done. Most consistent block I have ever done. Only two or three missed days. Most miles run in a campaign. Most long runs banked. Pace has come on in last few weeks which bodes well for peaking this race. Nerves? What nerves.

#DontBeShit
  • TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    Best of luck to the Abo mob for tomorrow. 

FB tells me it was 10 years ago I came 2nd there, and 5 years ago today I ran my pb, so hopefully someone has a stormer to make up for me breaking the 5 year cycle. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Why do they limit entries so much in that BM race?

SJ - sounds good, you've put in yr best campaign so hopefully the running gods will smile on you. Im No 104, Navy T shirt, black shorts, big legs and plenty of gels on my ammo belt.

TT - well certainly wont be coming 2nd or running a PB, but id settle for a strong run any day.

The (self imposed) exam pressure was getting to me a bit last night, so i had a couple of beers. If i have a stinker i know what i can blame.

2m wirh a few strides done.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    TR.. before York I had zero on Friday and two glasses of wine on Saturday to help me sleep.  An old sage from my club once told me the body likes it's usual routine and intake so don't try and change it too much  :)

Charlie.. it all ended well, my mate got me into the BM so I'll see you there.

LMH. no probs just let me know when you've decided.  If Mark wants a run but not the full monty there is a 10m race which starts 45 mins after the marathon.
    I will be entering tonight when I get back, might as well have the early bird rate.

Sleep well tonight Abo runners.
  • TR - has the legendary orange vest been retired forever??  

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    Wardi - i dont feel so naughty now then. If it was a 1/2 id have a few friday ans saturday night beers as usual.

SJ - the orange singlet only came out for vlm.
  • I always have a glass of red the night before a race TR. I don't think Brass restricts the numbers it's just become incredibly popular, not a lot of fast flat HM around at that time of year.

I'm in Brass - as are Mark and P, though neither of them would have got in of I hadn't entered them, they never made it out of the queue and to the registration page!

Wardi that might just persuade him. Would your kind offer extend to both of us? No worries if not, if I can persuade him to race he's likely to be more interested.

It would have been a fantastic morning for marathon racing here today - hope you all get as good a day tomorrow and have a fantastic race. I'm looking forward to reading the reports.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    LMH - ive had plenty more fluids and carbs today, so it should all be flushed away. You certainly race well on it !

See you all on the other side. Its nearly exam time.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Hope you pass with distinction TR ;)
    The York BM used to have a limit of 1000 when it started to sell out, this has gradually been increased to 2000 over the years as demand has increased.  Due to safety, road closures etc I don't think the police will allow this to extend at the present time - I think the host club would like to however.
    LMH.. I sort of assumed you would be coming up as a pair so no problem either way.  The marathon starts at 09.30, the 10m at 10:15 so most of the 10 milers are home before the marathoners.  Good to hear you are up for the BM, might turn into a mini thread day out at this rate.  Most of my club have defected to the Leeds Temple Newsam 10 on the same day as it's less hassle entering.

• OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Good luck to the threads runners in Abingdon today. Don't leave nothing out on the road. You,ve trained well, your ready, go for it and be the 2.5X marathon running machine. 
  • I can't believe that Abo, billed as "Oxfordshire's Premier Marathon" doesn't have a live tracker.  I can't find it on Eurosport either :-)
    edited October 2018
    2.58.58, halfway in 1.28 and a bit... Felt decent until inevitable last mile or two when had to dig in.

Good to meet Jooligan and TR briefly. Hope you are happy enough with your races. Headback up north with all the beers I took down with me.. sorry lads :)
  • A quick delurk to say massive congrats to SJ. Ran with him for around 16 miles until I pushed on. Chuffed that he got the sub 3 target. 2.55.49 for me my first sub 3
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    I went through 1/2 way just under 1.28 and was comfy, whilst i did slow a bit in 2nd 1/2 i could afford 8mm for the last 3 or 4m for a sub 3, but was stopped by cramp at 22, 25 and on the track. Guess my body has forgotten how to run maras since april 2015. 3:01:15. At least i made the finish line and sub3 is still possible as M50.
    SJ - great work, chuffed for you 

Spent a bit of time with selbs and Tick after who both had decent runs, TT esp.
    Dan still has the shame of never beating me.
    edited October 2018
    That's the way to delurk Stevie! Pleasure to run with you. More to come for sure. Ride that improvement curve and see where it takes you. I hope my pacing advice early doors didn't cost you a quicker time. However, plenty more races for you to experiment with. 

Had a good look around TR but couldn't spot you at the end. Met up with Jools again before we headed off. Obviously didn't know about the cramp which explains why you were struggling late on. Congrats on laying that Abo curse to bed tho. Sub 3 easily achieved without the cramp. That's my first sub 3 without cramping oddly. Maybe those consistent 20s are the secret.