Sub 3

Comments

• Hope the car held up Jooligan - enjoy tomorrow.

Nice recovery and training Dan.

Sounds as though you're in a good place Wardi.

How is your stomach issue TR.

Getting back into it well looking at that session TT.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Ive got a few mates at Snowden - absolutely flying according to the tracker, will see what happens on the next tough bit as all approaching 23 miles now 

Ive been doing bits, and a long run all being well in the morning. 

Ive also entered an Ironman for next year :# 
  • Which one WTGY? I do miss long distance tri.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Wardi - those races seem Nicely placed through the year.

WTG - nice one, you have some long rides ahead of you then.

LMH - gtoin/stomach has been a bit sore this week, but it was ok after Sumday, the diy has flared it i think. But back to work Monday for a rest !

6m before a uni visit, legs feel (surprisingly) good.
  • saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Didn't realise Snowdonia was today. That tracker is great!

Jooligan - The car made it then. Chapeau for that effort so soon after your 3.08 last Sunday.

TR/Wardi - with regards recovery time, is a HM two weeks out from goal race too close?

TR - nicely easing back into things.

WTGY - Fair play for the tri entry. I can't swim for sh*t so never going to be on my radar. Besides, I can barely fit in training for marathoning nevermind adding two other sports into the mix.

4 miles today as first run since last Sunday. Legs felt good with some slight soreness in quads. A couple of beerios tonight with a friend not seen for ages will ensure tomorrows run will be equally short and slow. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    SJ - id say that a 1/2 , 2 weeks out is too close. Al said solent 1/2 affected his bournemouth mara, solent was a tough day in those conditions. But it was 4 weeks out for me.
  • Cheers folks. Car broke down again but got me there - just. First time I've done any serious mechanics in 10 years & I guess I forgot to give the tensioner one extra tightening turn as it worked it's way loose shredding the belt in the process.
    Still got to my chosen parking spot & managed a cosy night in Passat Palace. Stopped me being really foolish & attempting the parkrun/marathon double that I managed last year!
    Legs felt OK & I went off pretty fast, though not as fast as UDS, then slowed up the first big hill to keep the HR in check. Down the other side at speed. Once onto the stony track I hit my left leg heavily as the sun/sweaty shades combo meant I misjudged the ground - felt a sharp pain in my quad but that passed as I hurtled down to Mile 7. Ate a Mars bar & grabbed some water around here then carried on at around 7 m/M feeling OK. At 10 the pain in my quad came back but I relaxed ever so slightly & it eased away though HR says I was working too hard. Went through half way in 1:35. The next section is a 2 mile climb where I pulled my hamstring last year so I deliberately kept the effort low as I could feel it was very tight again. Over that & its an undulating descent for the next 6 miles which I ran although pace was pretty poor really. Just before 22 miles the killer climb rears its ugly face & I crumbled to a walk/jog. By the top I was really cold & feeling sick & could only jog along the uneven ground before picking the pace up slightly on the steep descent. My good left hamstring started cramping on the steep tarmac so couldn't even push off properly with either leg as the landing was just as bad. Finished 256th in 3:42:51. Beautiful day for it & I'll be back next year hopefully but won't try to do Abo 3 weeks before.
  • Sorry to hear about the car and the leg Jooligan - hope you made it home in one piece and aren't feeling too battered today.

Race well Padams.

Good that it held up ok to the marathon effort then TR - you just need to avoid the DIY!

sj - I couldn't swim front crawl when I entered my first long distance tri.
  • Hey guys. 8th Snowdonia completed and yesterday confirmed why I continue to come back year after year. The mix of challenging terrain, variable weather, stunning scenery, and amazing support makes for the perfect marathon (minus it's PB potential!) 🤣 Said hello to Jooligan on the start line. Yep easy to spot and nice to meet you (abet briefly). I had to commit myself to a sub3 attempt. It was unlikely. I only had a 4 minute difference between first half 1.28 and 1.32 second half. That in the cold light of day wasn't going to be enough. But I went for it. I hit all my mile splits up to mile 14 and was running alongside the first female for quite a few miles which meant the TV camera motorbike was constantly alongside us. Talk about ruining the peace and tranquility!! But I could well be on the S4C race coverage Sunday evening at 8pm (in the Buff). As Jooligan will testify to. As soon as we turned into the wind and climbed up from Beddgelert it was a game changer. I was suddenly right off pace in an instant. Roughly 45 seconds per mile slower than I needed. And this continued for the whole second half. I ran the entire last steep climb focusing on maintaining a high cadence with short steps. I knew my course PB was 3:16.XX and that I was going to be very close to that. I had to pick it up and blast down the other side for a hairy fast final descent back into Llanberis. 3:16.29!! New course PB by 13 seconds! I'll take that. 

• Comparison of my splits from 2016 and this year. A much faster first half and slower second!! 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Jools - well done for toughing it out, hope you and the car arnt too beat up today.

Stu - good going there, esp off you low miles.

10m on my hilly route today.
  • Jooligan - another great report and well hung in there. As TR said, hope you make/made it home after an epic couple of days. I say epic, I'm sure you've been as cool as a cucumber.. I'd be a mess.

UDS - congrats on the PB on that course. Symmetry in those two runs is impressive. You must know every inch of that course. 

LMH - yeah have heard people get lessons and improve quickly from nothing. I don't really enjoy swimming or cycling that much if I'm honest. Not as much as I enjoy running anyway. 

TR - nice 10 today. I managed an hour today which felt like just enough. Will look to get out more next week whilst keeping it easy. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    SJ - an hour is good going. I remember my legs telling me when thay had had enough for a couple of weeks after previous vlms, i dont have that feeling, but thought 10 would be enough.

I miss the fitness swim and bike gives, but not the faff of swimming. I certainly miss the aerobic power that turbo gave me.
  • TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    TR - re: IOW and Harting I had a similar experience last year when I ran Wycombe HM - even allowing for it having changed from a tough road one to a very tough trail one (some of the ascents and descents were brutal) it was a chastening experience. Gosport sounds much better now. Maybe next year.

Dan - blimey! Yes, I remember that. That 10 years has passed quickly!

Jooligan - nightmare with the car. Well toughed out at Snowdon.

UDS - sounds like a tough second half. Congrats on the course pb.

I've ticked off another week back. Thursday off and an easy Friday seemed to do the job for my niggly ankle/shin, so ran parkrun yesterday as a tempo effort (17:44 - unusually the course was a little long, so a 3:31/km average), and then 9km+ of xc today (tough, but I felt strong, albeit slow). Averaged 3:36/km for the total, but the 3 laps were 3:37/km, 3:39/km, and 3:35/km. That was good enough for 13th and 2nd vet, just scraping into our scoring team - we had 1st, 3rd, 6th, 7th, 9th, and me.
    That makes 115km for the week with a total of 22km of it at threshold (10 x 800m, parkrun, 9km xc).
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Jooligan.. well toughed out indeed, it was never going to be easy that close to Abo.
    UDS.. that race profile had me breaking into a sweat!  Congrats on the PB, hope you managed a celebratory beer or two.
    TT.. nice double racing this weekend, you must have a very strong XC team!
    TR.. nice 10m there, good to hear the legs are recovering.
    SJ.. yes a half 2 weeks out is a bit risky to run flat out.  Having said that I've booked a 10m race here (Snake Lane) which is 2 weeks before Barca.  I'll make a decision how to run it closer to the time.
    Did my first double digit run since York today.  A pleasant 10.7m in the cool sunshine only slightly spoiled by some twunts who had flytipped two mattresses on a country lane.
  • Well done on teh course best UDS - I guess if you didn't try for the sub 3 you'd not know.

sj - I never enjoyed swimming and biking as much as running either which is why I was pleased it was the latter I didn't lose after my accident. I do think the years of tri training helped to make me stronger and are probably I can cope with my mileage now though.

Good to see you getting back to it Wardi.

Nice to have a strong xc run TT.

Rubbish 10k for me today. A couple of excuses but I couldn't even manage MP for the first two miles. At least it was over quickly.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

TT - nice blue hair today ;)

Jan's course had really boggy sapping mud, today's couldn't have had less - yet today's felt the harder race. Funny old game.

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    TT - yes, you just have to suck up those days and move on. The XC will give you a training effect.

Wardi - your 10 sounds warmer than mine was.

LMH - the 10k will still have done you good if you gave it a bit of welly. Is that your race year done?
  • Well done UDS / jooligan
    Apparently it is a very very tough course mates came 3/9/10th I’m terrible on anything uphill although I love the scenery not one I fancy doing!

19 @7:44s this morning, toyed with 20 for ages but was aiming for 18 do further than planned!

LMH / TR I’m going to do Yorkshireman IM - ticks a lot of boxes for me 

Anyone who uses a HR monitor for a long period of time notice the soft strap to be a lot lower than the old plastic one (garmin) ? 

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    TR.. it was much nicer today than yesterday here (see above).  The local Park Run was run in 20mph winds with snow/rain and -3 windchill.  Glad to say I wasn't there. :o

• WTGY: are you asking if the soft straps give lower HR readings? If so possibly but not by more than 1%
    TT: a good week’s training there with that balance. Good result in the XC.
    TR: I think a hilly MLR would’ve been better for my legs than a mountainous marathon :D
    Easing back into training nicely Wardi.
    Have you still been training as usual LMH? Might need to do less miles & some slightly speedier stuff to perform well in a 10K
    I had a marathon PB 7 days after a HM PB about 5 yrs ago SJ but would probably have had a bigger PB in the marathon without the half. 2 weeks is probably fine if you’re not already fatigued from a long hard campaign IMO.
    Realise I wrote 3 weeks when obviously it was only 6 days between marathons . I wasn’t all there.
    I’ve been eating & drinking all day since dismantling the car again. Going to be a chilly bike commute tomorrow!

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Wtg - when is that ? How long after a spring mara (manchester?)?

Wardi - looks grim, it was merely frosty with a northerly wind here yday.

Jools - hope you get the car fixed. Are you done with maras for a while?
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    TR: Won’t get the car fixed til Tuesday with work/parts. Probably won’t do another marathon til Brighton although I’m still toying with the idea of running Portsmouth coastal marathon. I’ll not decide for sure til after Telford 10K at the start of December. Should have a better idea what I’m up to over the festive period by then.
    Wardi: that looks a lot worse than we had in Snowdonia. Just a bit of hail & a bitingly cold wind but mainly sunny.
  • That does not look nice Wardi.

Unless I have another lapse of judgement it is TR.

Jooligan - my 10k PB was run off marathon training. I tapered for this with three weeks of lower mileage which is as close as I'm likely to get to specific training until I can no longer run the longer distances.

When is it WTGY?
  • Jooligan - re heart rate yes, on hills I’m seeing numbers much lower than I’d have thought - even allowing 6/7 years of changes. 

TR/LMH - Manchester is early April, Yorkshireman is 23/6 
    which gives me 11 weeks. I’d possibly have liked it to have been a little later in the year but at least it will stop me slacking too much post marathon and would leave late summer / early autumn free for a half / marathon. 
  • PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

Jooligan - that sounds pretty brutal so well done for sticking with it.

UDS - a course PB so that must be a solid run and sounds like you enjoyed it. Respect for going for the sub 3 even though you knew it was a long short on that course! I'm also impressed with your preparation of the mile split targets and outcome, great stuff.

TT - some very nice training there, good mix of miles and threshold.

LMH - as TR said, good training just to get out and run 10k hard, even if the result wasn't what you wanted.

WTGY - nice long run, and will be interesting to see how you do in the IM next year.

I was very busy last week with work (a 2 day course at Heathrow, managed a 6M run the second morning) and catching up with stuff in the office on Friday. So at least I was well tapered for the race yesterday - just did a few miles jogging with the dog and mini-P on Saturday morning.

I ran the Ricky Road Run, a reasonably local 10M race - only a few hundred runners and typically not a particularly strong field (I won by 3 mins in 2014 with 56:xx). Pretty hilly though, particularly the first 3M and last 2M.

From the start one guy took the lead and I was working harder than I wanted to stay with him. But there was a big gap behind so wanted to try to stick with him to avoid a lonely race. In the 2nd mile he pulled away up a hill but I closed the gap again down a big hill half a mile later. First two miles were both around 5:30.

In the 3rd mile (5:50ish, uphill) he pulled away again up a hill and by 4M he was about 30 secs ahead. From then on he just stayed at that distance - I felt OK but was never able to close and just kept ticking along at high 5:3x m/m. Around 7M I seemed a bit closer (about 20s), and a 5:27 mile 8 (slightly downhill) was promising, but mile 9 was almost entirely uphill (just under 6mins for that mile) and although I felt strong enough I didn't have any zip to close the gap significantly. The last mile was downhill and the gap stayed about the same, so I finished 19s behind in 55:39.

Very pleased with that considering I haven't hit 40M in any week for some time, and that was about 40s faster than when I won the race in 2014. It probably helped having someone to chase even if I wasn't on his shoulder. He's a 67 minute HM runner anyway, so I suspect he was pretty comfortable and would have upped the pace if I'd got closer.

• TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    Wardi - on recent form the guys ahead of me from the club were 1st (31:25 10k/2:27 marathon), 3rd (33:59 10k), 6th (33:24 10k), 7th (33:58 10k), 9th (triathlete, but I believe has run a 16:low 5km), so yeah, good strength in depth when we get everybody out. As I close in on them over the xc it'll give me a good idea of where I am.

LMH - sorry to hear about the 10k. Any idea why you struggled over the first 2 miles like that? Did you do any 10k specific work in tandem with the reduced mileage?

SG - I thought I recognised you on course. I watched in January (was unwell - story of this year so far really) and it looked like a riot. My clubmates all used phrases such as 'relentless' and 'no respite' for yesterday. I think the problem was that those parts of the course where it might be a bit easier were right into a biting headwind. It was a good tough proper xc course.

Padams - 55:39 on a hilly course off of such low mileage is flipping impressive!

• Padams - you are still super quick then I see! Are you eyeing up any other races? I know my IM target that I want to achieve, though I don't know if I am capable

TT I missed the XC report - trainers all good? Thats big mileage for the week - what are you trying to get it up to? 
  • TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    WTGY - yes, they were awesome, cheers. Definitely exactly what I needed - firm enough to not feel stones/roots but flexible enough to give a comfortable ride. Ideally when I've fully rebuilt I should be (hopefully well) over 160km a week. Higher for the last 8-10 weeks pre-race. It'll be a while before I'm up to that volume though - my rebuild has gone 73km, 86, 105, 96, and now 115km. I'm playing the increases by ear.
  • Just reading back on the 200+ messages I've missed over the last 10 days or so.

SJ, StevieW, TT - congrats on the sub 3's at Abo. Will have to run it one year, does sound like a good club runners race.

TR – sorry to hear about the cramp, a different day and it would/will be sub 3 for sure. Still a fantastic result. 

Dan – Great run considering the training week you’d had in the lead up! Look forward to some beers in Valencia.

Jools, UDS – nice work at Snowdonia, looks like a beautiful race. Started watching the coverage in Welsh but decided to wait and see if I can get it in English.. 

TT – good to see you building it back up again, sounds like a decent XC showing.

Padams – very impressive time over a hilly 10 miles. Always I awe of your performances off lower mileage.

Finally back from our jaunt in North America. We went on from Hawaii to Vancouver on the way home, it was awesome to run through Stanley Park and along the seawall. Good place to run/train. 

Headed straight down to Dorset this weekend for a running club wedding. So, naturally, multiple races were scheduled. Blandford parkrun on the Saturday - after 2 weeks of overindulgence, I opted for a 'tempo' effort which was good for 18:19 and 3rd place (the groom won). It's a pretty fast out and back course, but I felt absolutely horrendous. 

We'd then been gently 'encouraged' to enter the Stickler 10 mile race on the Sunday morning post wedding. Thankfully we had an extra hour in bed but I had a stinking hangover - too much gin. The opening mile includes a section which climbs over 500ft in 0.7 miles with some of the gradient at 30%.. That certainly woke everyone up.

The groom had an unfair advantage, being tee-total, and he shot off the front to eventually take the win. I ended up 6th clocking 71 minutes for the 10 miles. We would've been good for the team prize but our 3rd counter was also having hangover 'issues' and came in further back than expected so we took 3rd. The ladies were first team with my better half finishing 4th. I think the locals were a bit surprised to see a load of Londoners turn up! Here's the route profile courtesy of my strava activity;

https://www.strava.com/activities/1932102657/overview

Just over 2 weeks post Kona, starting to think about doing a bit of training again. Nothing serious, mind.