Sub 3

Comments

• Enjoying it is important WTGY.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Wardi - I'd take fog as like you say it'd be still.
    Wtg - good stuff, no need to rest before a long run, just dont go too hard the day before a long run.

4m easy here, with some paint brush and roller cross training since. Had a strange (and worrying) hour yesterday afternoon at work when my vision went blurry and i couldnt see propwrly, but i had a couple of ibuprofen and a sit still and was ok after a while. Hopefully I'll be ok to smack it Sunday.
  • TR -- good luck for Gosport. Similarly anyone else racing.

I'm doing my local half in fact, but I'm not taking it seriously. I'll run it at full effort, but I've deliberately ramped my training down recently (but not my food intake!) so I have a bit of respite before VLM training comes in again.

You made me check on Strava -- apparently I've run 3043 miles so far this year.
  • What do you make of this then? 

• CW - St Neots? Not going over this year as the missus isn't doing massage in the sports hall this year, would have given you a shout

Padams - good luck, been meaning to do a couple of the Hatfield 5K's. Weird that they have moved Wolverton - as it's on redways anyway, so traffic free. Bloody annoying, Sunday should be long run day (such a traditionalist!!)

• Good luck in Gosport TR and anyone else racing - I hope the conditions are kind for you and you have a good race.

After Abo, I have managed to ease back into some ok running and now need to taper again for Valencia. Body is creaking a bit so looking forward to an easy December.

As a v50 i was interested in this article:

https://liveboulderrunbolder.wordpress.com/2018/11/14/fighting-fit-and-fast-in-fifties-the-ingredients/

The link to the calculator on age related degradation is pretty pessimistic and thankfully not borne out by personal experience yet...
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Good article that TT, all the best for Valencia 

4m inc strides, plus some paint brush cross training. Tomorrow will be wind affected, but it is what it is. Hopefully i can still aim for a "comeback" pb and go sub 1.25 (im not counting the NF 1.24 as i think that was short).
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    I will have a gander at that too, the author seems to have found ways to impressively row against time.
    TR Good luck for tomorrow. I think you will sub85. 
    10 m with a long put off,  'speed session' today 3*1200 & 3*800m at 6 mm. Felt OK despite the breeze and on a grassy school field with the remnants of the marked-out summers running track. 21m tomorrow. 
  • Good luck TR
    I'll be reading that in a minute TickTock, cheers.
    Decent effort then OO.
    10M race round Elan Valley for me today. I was 16th but only cause the field was relatively weak this year. Last time I did it I was 20th but 99s faster: only just scraped inside 70 today but it is a very lumpy course with over 900ft of climbing.
  • Good luck tomorrow TR and Charlie (and anyone else toeing the line)

Hope you get good conditions and have a good one. 

Nice 10 today Jooligan. Will have a proper read-back tomorrow when have more time.

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    Well i had a crap day out, id been lurgified for a few days (inc an hour not being able to see properly friday), but i thought id give it a bash as its local, but i felt rotten so stopped after lap 1. I was going to struggle to beat my abo 1/2 way time, and i'm not interested in struggling home these days. Shit happens. Thats the racing done for the year. Onwards and upwards in 2019.
  • Bad luck TR.  You've had a lot of that lately, you're long overdue a good run based on effort put in.  Onwards and upwards as you say.

Nice 10 Jooligan.

There's about 50% useful and interesting stuff in that article TT - unfortunately the other 50% is shameless self-promotion!  He has managed an almost unbelievable level of consistency for sure, losing only 2-3 minutes of marathon time over 11 years.  Very impressive.

He missed out the other reason for decreasing performance with age in male athletes, which is testosterone levels decreasing naturally as we get older.  If the US forums are to be believed, masters endurance athletes getting prescribed with supplemental testosterone to bring them back up to 'normal' levels is pretty common, but completely against doping rules without a TUE.  Not that anyone ever gets tested, of course.

WTGY - is that saying they've caught the same guy doing this for four years in a row?  The only reason I can think of for doing that is to get GFA or BQ.  Weird. 

Anyway, still ticking over, parkrun yesterday and an easy 5 this morning.  I need to start getting some mojo back for some proper training.

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Shame that TR, not what you deserved.  FWIW I've had a couple of episodes of fuzzy/red vision over the years sometimes followed by fainting.  This was down to low blood sugar, cured with a drink of sugary coke!  As you say onwards and I hope next year brings you better fortunes and ROI.
    Good racing Jooligan, that sounds like a pretty tough course.
    Enjoy the taper for Valencia Tick Tock, I will have a read of that article when I've got a spare minute.
    Made a slightly rusty return to my home Parkrun yesterday, 21.24 so about half a minute down from pre marathon peak so not too disappointed.  Had a bit of a tussle with a filly in the last k, just managed to finish a stride ahead.  Turns out she was a W65 and her 21.25 got her 97.59% age grade!
    Meanwhile at the nearby Heslington/Uni Parkrun an under 16 girl ran 16.51 - she was running around 18-20 minutes in the summer!
    Added 5.5m to the parkrun, ran 11.4m in the sunshine today to tot up 56m for the week.  Marathon training has commenced.

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    CD - probably important to keep some sort of weight training going then, in order to boost levels. Im hoping for a better year next year.

Wardi - i was typing something that was getting harder to focus on, it then dawned on me that i couldnt focus on anything at all. Think its a sinus type thing, i tried to run on some decongestants but i started feeling rotten/wobbly so stopped. Wise decision as my chest aches now.
  • Well winter has arrived here ! Had a couple of -5c runs and its going to get worse..  Am investing in some thermal underpants ! 
    Been trying to build miles up by running in and out of work (cos everything else is unbelievably hectic). Currently hovering around the mid 50's right now. But fck me it is cold.
    Think I'm getting closer to 3hr base shape, but still have some work to do. banking on a couple months at 60-70m weeks to do that, then start harder stuff.  Also, since when did it start getting so hard to recover from training runs !!!!! Wasn't like that 10 years go.. Maybe its the air over here :)
  • Really sorry to hear that TR.

Cartman - I really rate merino base layers, socks and gloves.

Not too shabby there Wardi.

That article didn't resonate with me at all - maybe because I'm a lesser spotted?

You seem back on form after Snowdon Jooligan.
  • Sorry it didn't go well TR. Rest and recover dude.

Blimey Wardi - what are they putting in the water/ beer for the females, young and old, to go so quickly?
  • Bad luck TR. Least you didn't bury yourself for nothing. Get well soon.
    Decent effort Wardi. Impressive 5K performances from the Yorkshire ladies.
    Knocked out a decent MT HM@7:45s in the sunshine today to bring me up to 70M for the week & another week closer to the 3K. The required run rate remains at 8.8M/day
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Good call in dropping out TR - bad luck!
    Wardi - A decent 5K and a 97.59% age grade for the W65 - amazing, where's her article. 
    I've run a few times in the Alps in winter in -5C but to do so in even colder temperatures and  marathon training takes some doing. 
    21m d&d in the sun today, to make it 78 for the week, 2nd highest mileage for the year, feel much more with-it/ mojoed than this time last week. Hopefully 60+ for this week with some tempo runs chucked in, then taper time.

December Marathon list - feel free to correct/add
    Dec 2  -  Valencia      Tick Tock, DanA, JoeB, Jools?
    Dec 9 -   Malaga        OO
    Dec 23? - Portsmouth TR  Jooligan?
  • No Portsmouth for me OO. I was considering entering it after Telford but it's sold out already. I'll probably not do another marathon now til Brighton. Got 3 halves booked in before that already: Wokingham, Wrexham & the local FoD Spring Trails. Well done on the 21.
  • saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018

EE - hope the hammy has settled.

WTGY - going along nicely and sounds like your motivation is right where it needs to be.

CD - hope the mojo returns soon.

TR - Sheesh.. you're not getting much back atm. Sounded like the right call with not feeling great. Hopefully it's a viral thing that buggers off quickly. Hope the chest improves.

Wardi - nicely done out-sprinting the W65 lady ;) I used to have a tear-up with a V65 male every year at XC. He would just appear out of nowhere in the last 400m. Not seen him around for a while :(

Jooligan - nice weekly miles. Always in awe on Strava at all the running and other stuff you fit in.

Back at it this end just creeping over 60 for the week. Included were 10 Tue incl 30 mins tempo for roughly 5 miles of effort. Thur did an alternating pace session of 1 min MP, 1 min HMP (6:27, 6:04 averages) all run by perceived effort as couldn't see watch in dark. Sat did a hills session of 10*1min with jog back 90 seconds. Completed the week with 18 yesterday on hilly route which was fine except it was supposed to be 16 and the extra bit was the steepest climb of the day. Gassed at the top! 

Having looked at my yearly stats, I could be on for breaking 2k if I maintain 60 odd mpw from now until 31/12.

Have a good week everyone :)

• PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

Sorry to hear that TR. You can take a mental recovery now though, enjoy the festive period and then have another crack next year.

CD - still managing to hold off mini-CD at parkrun?

Wardi - solid parkrun effort. Your AG must be decent - not 97% but still better than most of us. I won the club AG championship this year with a measly 82%ish over 3 races.

OO - nice mileage, especially the 21.

SJ - sounds like your training is coming along nicely too, quite a bit of quality within that 60M.

46M for me last week which was my highest for some time. Only managed to squeeze in 2M on Friday evening (went out for birthday dinner) having been too busy to get out during worktime. Saturday was 8M inc. a new local parkrun - 4M there had to be run fairly quick to make the startline, but felt better than the previous week's parkrun with 17:12 all off-road (technically a course record, but it was only the 2nd week it's been run).

Then 15M yesterday - 4M with the dog and 11M steady on my own except for mile 8 and 12 (5:50 and 5:35 ish), rest all 6:50-7:05.

• Padams - just about, unless he has a particularly good day.  He runs better when I'm either not running or taking it easy because he invariably sets off like a scalded cat when I'm there, and I catch him about halfway round.  The same thing happened a couple of weeks ago at his first go at the XC league - I passed him after 2 of the 5 miles (he had been convinced I was ahead of him in the crowds) but he held on pretty gamely to finish just 15s behind. 
  • Well done in the 10M race, Jooligan. Sorry about your day out though TR.

And well fought in the parkrun, Wardi! And well done in your new one, Padams.

SC2 -- yes, St Neots was my race. I thought I might do about 1hr20 in my somewhat unfit state, but actually it was 1:21:30, in very fine conditions -- pretty poor really. I had a bit of a niggle in the back of my right leg emanating from a sore piriformis, which gave me an excuse not to push myself to the utmost, though having said that I was definitely going all out in the last 3 miles, and my HR showed I'm just not in great shape. The piriformis is worse now but having suffered it in the past, I at least recognise it immediately, and know how to treat it. And I have no races booked until the Brass Monkey on 13th Jan now, so I can truly relax for a bit.

• Nice training sj.

Understated course record there Padams, well done.

Can't actually see you relaxing Charlie but it's a nice idea. Hope the niggle settles quickly.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Bad luck TR. If I'd done similar to you at a half in 2015, I might not have spent the next year raceless!
    That lap business in a half must give  a lot of temptation to do similar though.

That Hull blagger! What on earth!
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    CW - still a decent training effect to be had though, its difficult to smash low priority races.

OO - good few days there. Portsmouth is indeed on my fixture list but its just a long long run. That one is an out and back so no stopping 1/2 way there.

SG - thats where my moral compass has to kick in i guess, if i dropped out in every race i was doing less well in than i would have liked, i wouldnt have finished any at all this year. Ive sucked up plenty of tough days this year. I look forward to the last few miles of the next race that goes well, and that feeling where you know its going to be a good day/time.

I can ease off a just run a few base miles now, no target races until worthing 1/2 in Feb. The 3000 and brighton foundations are next on the agenda.
  • TR - sorry to read about your DNF, but kudos for the application of sensibility when many wouldn't! I'm not hugely far behind you on mileage, despite only managing 20m last week so I think 3k would be a good focus for me too. I need 533m.

EE - I'm guessing kids under 5 then? That should be more incentive to get out the door for some solo time ;)

WTGY - that's ridiculous with the Hull Marathon "runner".

TickTock - decent article. He has obviously done well, but he presents a fake picture of degradation. A more accurate picture (for him) would be comparison of half time, rather than comparing to a first marathon (which should have been quicker based on his HM time really). Interesting nonetheless.

Wardi/Jooligan/sj - nice weeks last week.

Padams - nice parkrunning.

CW - tough break on the race but good motivation to get yourself right and get back to it I guess.

Thinking I had recovered last week was obviously a false dawn as the tail end of the migraine continued to persist and it still hasn't quite shifted. At over 2 weeks now, with the vomiting and vertigo accompaniments, it makes it the worst I've ever had. I'm managing to get back to it this week though and got an out and back 17m yesterday (7:45 out, 6:56 back) - yep, back working in miles.

Plans for next year are shaping up - Wokingham HM, Reading HM, Manchester Marathon, London Marathon, Waterford Marathon (end of June), and then post wedding I'm going to target the GSR, and possibly Maidenhead HM at the start of September to try get a decent HM time in the bag.
  • Hello hello 
    Sorry to hear that TR, back to base training with me? 

Some more info on the dodgy hull runner! - from east anglia apparently, I don't know the reasons for doing what was done still though. most confusing with potentially doing it (or not doing it!?) every year for the last 5 

Also some more disqualified for earphone usage - thats quite a big thing up here at the moment with lots getting DQ - is it similar story through the rest of the country? 

SJ - loads of quality in that - I remember your supersix training and that had loads of quality - do you find that shapes your training still? 

18 of my 24 in a week or so's time done on Saturday at about 8mm with no real trouble, so I'm looking forward to that event. I'd decided that it would be doable in road trainers, and since then its pissed down so that ain't gonna be the case  :o

68 miles last week, easy 4 last night, topped up with 8.5 this morning

• - further info - it was a top 50 place, and the times didnt indicate to be a qualifying time for elsewhere