Sub 3

Comments

• Is that the Edwinstowe 10k Wardi? Hope you have a good one. It's been a bit wet here today so it may be muddy.

Good to get the long runs started early TR.

Being able to bike will certainly help when you can get back to running WTGY.

It's the right time of year to have a couple of weeks out if necessary sj.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    LMH - need to find another 5m in 3 weeks though.
  • saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Good luck tomorrow Wardi and anyone else toeing the line (in addition to Valencia mob). 

Nice long run TR. Banging that drum nicely again. 

Re: Snip! Hoping I will not miss too much as I'm still riding the high motivation curve currently. 

Saying that, bang average XC today. Conditions were decent and a bit squishy but not too bad at all. However, I was noticeably hot during 1 mile warm up.

During the first short lap I was seriously sweating. I didn't feel particularly great all morning and not great during the race. HR was sky high too. Thinking I may be struggling with something. 

I did a 2 hour run on Thursday so may make tomorrow a medium long run, 90 mins or something. 
  • It does sound as though you may be harbouring a virus sj - don't run tomorrow if you feel worse. In my experience there's nothing as good for motivation as being unable to run so I'm sure you'll be fine post op.

You know it's always easier with a number on and company TR, you'll be fine.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    LMH ..yes that's the one.  I do have trail shoes in readiness so good to go.
    Get well soon SJ, and good effort in your XC despite being hot and bothered.
  • Hope all of today's racers have a god one - looking forward to reading all about it.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Sherwood Forest Trail Race.. course a bit muddier than last year plus I had forgotten how undulating it is!  It is all run within the forest bar the first & last 200m, a very pretty course.  The trail shoes served me well, finished about 15 seconds quicker than last year.  Pleasantly surprised to finish 1st senior coffin dodger.  Prizes - nice trophy, bottle of wine and a Panettone.  The latter two might come in handy later this month :)
    Sounds like conditions were good in Valencia, looking forward to some reports/results.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    SJ - sounds like how i felt at Gosport.

Wardi - top work, well done on the AG win too.

10m for me early, then some A level field work in the sand dunes at west wittering helping my youngest take measurements and soil/sand samples.

Hope the valencia folks wet well, always an exciting day when dan is running aa you never know what sort of result he will pop up with.
  • Well done Wardi!

Nice parenting TR.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    LMH - i copped a weather beating !

Even if Dan had a bad day he must have finished by now, where are the updates ?
  • Nice AG win Wardi, and those were top Chrimbo prizes!

Just about managed 48M this week. Thoughts of 3K for the year are long gone. Time to knuckle down a little bit and build up to around 65M by Christmas week.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Excellent run Wardi, rowing against time.  Nice work on the prizes too. 
    Just done a bit of Valencia stalking, I think a few celebratory cerveza's are being drunk.
    Nice one getting the XC d&d SJ , not a race for me. 
    My last proper taper session done this morning on the Wadebridge to Padstow trail, 10 miles with 4 progressive fast ones (6.20, 6.13, 6.07 & 5.58).  Just a few 800m/ 1k fast ones to do this week, try and lose a 1 lb, rest-up from Thursday, finalise a time target and then all set for the 'Zurich' Malaga marathon next weekend.     
  • Dan ADan A ✭✭✭
    02:49:20 for me at Valencia. Probably fair enough so pretty happy. Will add some detail later. 
    Waiting for flight home now with bit of a hangover.  
    Really enjoyed the whole weekend:)
  • Top stuff Wardi - nice little haul too. 

OO - good luck with final weeks prep. Sounds like you are controlling things nicely. 

TR - nice double with the 10 + geog field work.

ES - sensible to not chase miles if you really have no need. Build back up and be raring to go in the new year. 

I think I know one of the results from Valencia as it popped up on my Strava feed. Inspirational stuff. 

110 mins for me yesterday as i didnt feel too bad when i woke up which equated to 12 and a bit. Felt like a 20 towards the end so having an easier week this week. 
  • Great milage at your age and win too mr Ward 

thanks for the 1, great 21 TR 

SJ 
    sounds stupid I Know but were you overdressed at the XC? Ive sometimes thought its going to be loads cooler and sweated buckets, I think it was double figure temps this side of the country over the weekend. 
  • Congrats on the prizes Wardi!

Good result there Dan, smart move doing the return travel today so you could celebrate properly too.

I did a 12M steady on Fri and 10M yesterday, but both times I started to feel my recent nerve niggle at the back of my thigh, so I biked today, not wanting to push it.

• PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

Dan - that's a great run, although much less entertaining than a classic meltdown! Hope you enjoyed the celebrations.

TR - 21M at this time of year will serve you well in the spring.

SJ - definitely sounds like you need a bit of a rest.

Wardi - congrats on the win, and nice to get some prizes that will get used!

Football on Friday was fun - no injuries but I could feel it in my hamstrings and hips afterwards. 5M on Saturday with mini-P, including parkrun in 20:3x taking it steady - legs felt OK but a little stiff. The grass is very wet now so that section means no fast times until next spring/summer.

Then XC league race yesterday, hamstrings were feeling really tight. One very fast guy disappeared from the start so I settled into a group of 6 racing for 2nd place. Stayed in that group until just over halfway when it started to break up, then pushed on and got a big enough gap that I didn't have to muster a sprint up the big muddy hill to the finish. Not a particularly good run but my hamstrings weren't really working and decent training I suppose.

• Hope your hamstring settle quickly Padams - there seems to be a lot of it about.

Glad you're ok with your result Dan, sounds as though you enjoyed the post race celebrations.

I copped your weather this morning TR - a real Daly run for me.

No point in pushing things at the minute Charlie.

Cotton wool time OuchOuch.

Glad you felt well enough to run sj.

• Dan - Fantastic, and a good half a mile up the road versus 2017. 2.49.2X the time of choice at the moment, you 2.49.20, CD 2.49.21 @ Chicago, me 2.49.22 at both Berlin & Barcelona.  Given me a target now for Malaga and I bet you a beer on WHU vs Cardiff tomorrow.
    Padams - Cracking second place, especially when it seems your not really trying. 
  • saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Dan - didn't see your post when I posted this morning. Cracking run and hope the hangover has eased on the way home. 

WTGY - I might originally be from the South Coast but I'd get slaughtered if I turned up in base layers plus gloves at XC. Vest and shorts. Defo hot and bothered with something up. Not feeling too bad today but will take a zero. Local low-key hilly 10 miler next weekend so will try and set myself up for a decent run there. 

LMH - hope you've dried out. I'm due a run like that soon which is surprising I know  for Manchester. I do weather watch and pick my windows whenever possible and time constraints not withstanding.

OO - some impressive thread consistency indeed. Glad you've arrived at a target. 

Padams - result at the football then with no knocks. Decent weekends work too with the parkrun and placing at XC whilst easing up the final climb! 
  • Top run Dan, even if you were a second too quick for my liking.

Top work too Wardi.  No Werthers Originals among those prizes?

I've done XC in a base layer, but only when there's proper snow on the ground.  It doesn't take much to get me into gloves though.

I avoided the wet weather with just a muddy parkrun Saturday and an easy 11 yesterday.  Parkrun was livened up by junior getting his first win, except they don't call it that, do they?

I'm still not doing very much, but keeping it lively by sticking in the odd long rep session.  There's now quite a decent lunchtime group here, which makes those sessions a lot more interesting!

• Dan - epic.

Padams - nicely done!

I've just entered another local 5M race on Sunday. Looks fairly low-key so may get the santa hat out!
  • sj - it was work that forced me out in the weather, no option of waiting and hoping that it improved today - which it did of course about ten minutes after I arrived home.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    CD :)  I could have done with a jar of Horlicks instead of the wine but won't complain!
    It was incredibly mild at my race yesterday, and the forest kept out any breeze.  I've got Raynauds and didn't even need gloves!
    Cracking run Dan A, looking forward to an eventful race assessment.
    Great podium 2nd place Padams considering your legs weren't working at full capacity.
    Charlie.. hope you can get rid of that niggle, sounds like a nuisance.
    OO.. wishing you an event free taper, I guess you know what to do (and avoid) by now.
  • Dan ADan A ✭✭✭
    Bit of a schlep getting back home via Madrid, but very enjoyable weekend in the sun.

Brief analysis: was my 7th marathon/ultra of 2018 but the third target race of the year; VLM was disastrous despite being in good shape, but badly suffered from heat exhaustion, then the Mont Blanc 90k went pretty well, so a good three month build up, though the only race I did in the build up was the Abo marathon as a long training run.  Was in middle of a big block, but struggled to get round in 3.09.

Decided for this one to run without a watch and go purely on feel.  Done it enough times to know how hard it should feel, plus I didn't want to chase a time that I might not be capable of.  This way, I figured I'd be more likely to get what I deserved.

As such, started steadily and the first 5k turned out to be 19.53 which I'd probably have gone much faster than if I was wearing a watch.  Someone came up on my shoulder after 2k and said hello.  It was Chrissie Wellington, so we had exchanged a few good luck words and I edged ahead.  First half went well, feeling in control.  Wasn't expecting to see any clocks, but there was one at halfway which said 1.22.  Meant that if I was in 2.45 shape I'd given myself a fair chance at it.

25-30k and I was feeling it getting harder, and 2.45 was slipping.  30-35 was pretty tough, but I rallied a bit and actually sped up a little for 35-40.  Was hanging on for the final 2.2 and didn't know what the clock would say, so was pretty happy to see it ticking over to 2.49.  Probably meant that I was just outside 2.45 shape but good not to fall apart to over 2.50.

Followed up with an enjoyable evening with TickTock, Luke Stur, and Jo/Katie & their Clapham crew.  Shame to not catch up with Jools.  Really cool too get some encouragement on the course in 3 places from Mr Boat. (the other S Way).  All in all, a great marathon with genuine world record potential if Kipchoge chose to do it.  First three were all faster than Tergat or Khannochi's WR runs of 2002/2003. 

Going to back off a bit in December, but I have entered the Country to Capital ultra in January.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Dan - good run that, although as padams says its less eventful when you get it right. that must be one of your best times too.

LMH - well done on the Daley, i havnt had to pull that out lately, the 3.01 is still working well.

Padams - good news on avoiding footy injury.

SJ - good that you are feeling better.

OO - i hope the taper goes well.

13m run home tonight. Head torch job for the section round the lanes listening to the owls.
  • Valencia was more eventful than I had wished for. Unfortunately on Saturday morning I received the sad news that my mum passed away. It wasn't entirely unexpected given her recent poor health and being 89 but still a shock. I was already undecided whether to run or not due to tendonitis in my shoulder meaning I could not move my arm  without pain - my GP has advised me not to run. A test run with Dan on the Friday when we arrived showed I could run only if I braced my arm against my body and avoided moving it. So on the Friday night I had almost decided not to run. When the news on mum came through I then decided I should run in her memory - She always wanted to know how I did and hear race times; I have run 31 marathons and after each one I have phoned her. I spoke to the Dad and family and everyone was supportive on me running.

So lining up on the start line on Sunday felt weird. I had no idea whether the emotions and/or shoulder would force a DNF. I didn't really have  race plan apart from trying to protect the shoulder from  further injury.  Ended up with 3:01 and feeling pretty emotional at the end. A big shout out to DanA and Ms DanA for the company and emotional support all weekend - they were awesome and really helped me over the last few days.

It was good to meet up with Luke and Joe for drinks on Sunday. Dan's hangover confirms we did have quite a few post race beers.  Valencia is a great city with an amazing marathon. I hope to return for a happier experience in future year.

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    Blimey Tick Tock, sorry to hear that sad news. I'm sure that your mum wiould have been proud of you running for her. 3.01 is still pretty sharp too esp given the emotional turmoil and shoulder issue.
  • TickTock - saw your Strava and felt moved by you running in your mum's memory. My sincere condolences on your loss. Tremendous effort under the circumstances. 
  • Sorry for your loss TickTock. I'm sure from what you say that your mum would have wanted you to run and you did her proud in the circumstances. Hope your shoulder is sorted quickly.

That sounds like a well executed and enjoyable race Dan. I'd love to chat to Chrissie for a few miles!