Sub 3

Comments

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    LMH - yes, wardi is a skinny rake too. I probably eat more in a week than what you, cw and wardi eat between you. Good news re FiL, thats a help.

Stevie - shame that you'll miss another 2 weeks, you'll get 9ish weeks ? Is that the end of the gait change for now?

Short of time due to cricket travels today so just an easy 5m, but thats not a bad thing after 10k sunday and 16 yday.
  • You'd be amazed at how much I eat TR.

Stevie - it was billed as a flat, fast course but the start was really narrow and twisty with unmarked speed humps and some of the surface between that and the racing circuit (which we had to run out and back on) was downright dangerous with some huge potholes - then the finish was along a gravelled path.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • I've never even heard of the Leicestershire half! I'm doing the Stamford Striders St Valentines 30k that day anyway. I do it every year, and always do 10k @ MP + 20%, 10k @ MP + 10% and 10k @ MP. Very P&D. 

Road reps tonight round a windy Trent Bridge loop. Split times almost identical to when I did the session in October.
  • I did Stamford one year CC2 (i think it was two years ago) - never again - the weather was absolutely foul, strong wind driving the snow! I'd never heard of the half either, not exactly a high profile event - they are still taking entries and most things sell out quickly at this time of year. Are you doing Ashby?
  • LMH - That doesn't sound ideal! Its only the 2nd year of the half so people probably don't know its on.

TR - I think I'll have to stick with the gait change, probably gone too far to try and change back. Should be OK with the intensive calf strengthening I'm doing. Yeh about 9 weeks, I tend to pick up fitness fairly quickly so I think I'll be alright. Might just have to tough out the last couple of miles

• PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

Stevie - that doesn't sounds great but could be worse at only 2 weeks off.

CC2 - good news if you're hitting your usual splits when it's windy.

9M including track session last night, which was 800, 1600, 2400, 1600, 800. Long recoveries at 2:30, so I did a lap and a bit of jogging in between each one. I didn't do the last 800 as it was getting late and I'd done enough. The actual efforts were a bit longer as we're not allowed to use lane 1 on the new track, and it was the busiest I've ever seen it (at least 100 runners on the track, must be New Year's resolutions and VLM preppers), so spent a fair bit of time in lanes 3-4. Laps in lane 2 were about 80s, which probably equates to about 78s in lane 1 - felt pretty strong.

• That's a lot of people at track Padams!
  • Wardi -- Cambridge HM in March is next notable thing, then VLM, yes -- my 10th in a row. Glad you enjoyed your curry & beers -- we had (remaindered) steaks waiting in the fridge in Cambridge. I've been binge eating some additional birthday goodies to get back to a clean slate for the year!

LMH -- you'll be leading the FV50 HM rankings for a while (if BM goes on powerof10). Glad the FiL situation is improved.

I tried to run yesterday but with tragic DOMS from the HM. Things are better today, if still a bit creaky... time to ramp up the miles though.

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Padams - that many from one club all on the track at the ssme time? Youd have thought sessions would be staggered.

CC - 20%, 10%, MP is a session you could do in training, how about 10k at 20 snd 20k at MP ? Still P and D.............im considwring doing chichester 10k as 6m, 10k, 6m in 2 weeks, have you done anything like thst before ?

Stevie - 9 weeks isnt long after a 3 or 4 week break, after building up for a few weeks id like to see your coach giving you a block of multiple long and medium runs 

13m run home tonight.
  • TR - It *is* training! 

LMH - yes, 10 miles slow, 10 miles @ MP for Ashby. Will you be there? 

100 people on a track at the same time?! Flipping heck. I'm glad ours isn't that popular. Not that I use it in winter at all. 

MLR tongiht. I took my colleague with me as he wants to build up his mileage. He's faster than me over shorter distances. I think I may have killed him off. The route is pretty hilly...
  • LMH - great news re FiL. That will make things much easier on everyone involved.

Stevie - that's annoying re calf tear. Hopefully it heals nicely and you can return. Hopefully get s decent 9 weeks in pre Manchester.

TR - impressive medium long runs and mileage in general. Helps having that commute I reckon. Solid stuff.

CW - glad legs are returning.

Wardi - slowly nibbling chocolate! Lol I've just scoffed a big bar just before bedtime.

Padams - solid form on the track especially running in outside lanes. That is a lot of people. I sometimes do solo sessions at the Sport city track (warm-up track for Comm games) and run in outside lanes since ducks from the canal favour the inside lanes to take shits!

CC2 - killing people on runs, something tells me you enjoyed that a little bit 😁

Back at it at this end. Felt reasonably good yday so headed out and did 10. Pulled up good this morning so thought I'd be ok for tonight's mlr. Was supposed to be 14 but it was sleeting and getting colder so pulled the pin at 12. Will just log miles this week and not push any faster stuff.

With that in mind I'm dns at Helsby this weekend as I don't want to push my luck with the bruises and I figure last weekends missed 20 would be a better option this weekend than a HM. Will look for another, possibly Fleet (if it hasn't sold out) as it's 5 weeks out from Manchester so perfect prep. Will probably do Trimpell 20 as well so not all long runs are solo.

Phase one of dental repair done yesterday too. Composite filling on the chipped incisor. Great job and hardly noticeable. Ran past scene of the tumble tonight and noticed street lighting defective which won't of helped! A strongly worded tweet is in order 😁
  • sj - glad to hear you're feeling better and are able to resume training. Sounds like a sensible plan.

CC2 - yes I plan to be at Ashby. I run the first lap easy and then pick it up for the second - I'm no more scientific than that.
  • PadamsPadams ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019

TR - no, club track session is 7pm on a Tuesday and is open to all. I doubt we'll be getting that many people for much longer. Luckily most people were fairly well behaved, keeping to the inside unless overtaking etc.

SJ - interesting, I wouldn't have thought ducks would be that particular about which lane they use! Good news that you're back into it already, and sensible decision about the weekend. Street lighting defective - where there's blame there's a claim!

5M easy for me yesterday lunchtime. Will try to get out today if work allows, but someone's leaving drinks this evening so may struggle.

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    CC - agreed, but with a number and company you could do a tougher session than one you could do alone. Hope your young man recovers.

SJ - good to see you are back to it already. Fleet is 4 weeks out for me, so 3 for you. Doing my commutes as singles is indeed helping me to get multiple double digits and mlr in.

Padams  - hopefully the post Christmas rush drops off soon then.

10 more today, 5 av 8.28, 5 av 6.45. So im actually gettng towards MP now.
  • SJ - Back at it and in the sleet, good man.  I think your right doing the 20 rather than the HM, though I will often do a HM and add n a few before and after to give me a 20 - just a thought.
    TR - Another cracking sess. 
    CC - Serves him right for being quicker.
    LMH - Congrats on the Po10 when they put up the BM results. Niggles are fine  strong suspicion of a SF in my big toe left foot.  Been hurting for months now, but not yet affecting my running.  Slowly falling apart.
    6 windy ones d&d, finishing with 2@6.30 mm. Gran Canaria 10 day forecast  indicates 20C and maybe light rain, far more marathon friendly than 2018's heat, topping out at 28C. 
  • It won't last OuchOuch though I may hold on to the marathon crown again this year but who can tell? so much for time off to get yourself sorted! Keeping going until you can't really isn't a great option - time to recover a bit after this one? I envy you the warmth.

Nice pace TR.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    OO.. that sounds like a pleasant forecast though I guess I'm only saying that as it's about 2 degrees here!  According to my injury book you would unlikely be able to run on a SF, more likely a metatarsal trauma or digital neuritis.  Hope it calms down for you during the taper.
    Padams.. many congrats on getting a mention and photo in the AW mag from your XC triumph.  Cripes that track sounds busy, perhaps it will ease off in Feb like the gyms do!
    SJ.. great ot see you back on the road again but I don't envy your dental bills.
    TR.. still plenty of double digit efforts being banked, good stuff.
    LMH/Charlie.. my legs have been a bit tired/cranky this week too, I guess we forget how much a full bore half takes out of them.  I managed 10.3m on Tuesday but a mere 6.5m yesterday as I was struggling a bit.  Hoping to feel fresher by the weekend for a longer effort.
  • PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

Wardi - didn't know about the AW photo, will try to find it online! A friend/clubmate is an avid AW reader though so should be able to get hold of it anyway.

TR - 2nd half of a 10M run at sub-3 pace bodes very well at this stage. Did it feel hard?

6M just done, mainly offroad, in 42 mins. Lovely day for it, if a little breezy/chilly.

• I'm hoping to feel fresher after a couple of easier days too Wardi.

Cold here Padams - a light dusting of snow this morning which is persisting in the shade.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Not much to report here: my 'long' run was 8 miles on Sunday and done a 7 and a 6 so far this week after a rest day on Monday to go to a funeral (rather soberingly, my best friend from primary school.  39 and with a 9 year old son.  A difficult day).  Hoping to try 9 tonight.

Stevie: I had a low grade calf tear 2 months before my first sub 3.  I rehabbed very carefully and raced in trainers rather than lightweights, but it all came good.
  • I'm sorry to hear about your friend Joolska.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    OO - taper time again already, racing in the warm sounds nice.

Padams - reckon i could have done a couple more, certainly not 10m at that pace, although ive had a decent sunday thru weds, so maybe more if i was fresher. Worthing 1/2 will hopefully show sub3 readiness.

Good to see you running again jools, sad tale re your friend.
  • Thanks for the advice Jools, softer shoes will probably be a good choice although the injury happened in Ultraboosts! Glad to see you back at it, sorry to hear about your friend.

TR - You are certainly getting the miles in! Bodes well for Brighton, is it a quick course? I've never considered it due to logistics/price

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Stevie - aim is to be a lot stronger by spring.  I got half way through a Brighton entry some years ago and sacked it as they had pushed the price up and introduced a compulsory number collect. Im looking fwd to it as the logistics will be easier for me than vlm. Supposed to be a couple of early lumps then flat on the seaftont, windy weather is the risk. Should be enough runners to chase without the vlm bundle at drinks stations etc if i like it then there are early bird prices for 2020.
  • Jools, that's so sad. It must have been a very difficult day. 

The youngster from work is still alive and willing to run the route again. He'll be beating me on marathons too if he ever enters one. Mind you, he's 26, so he probably ought to. 
  • Is padams in AW?  If Iget a copy will you sign it for me? :-)

Sorry about your friend jools.  39 is no age at all.

I feel your pain re youngsters CC2.  There's a guy doing the lunchtime routes round here who's been putting down times on the strava segments the rest of us could only dream about.  We have to take him out for at least 10k before he's slow enough for us to keep up.  Then I notice at the county champs xc he's in the U20 race.  Well duh, no wonder he's got some pace!

Track session last night had about 20 people there.  Much more manageable than padams sessions.

First proper long run of the spring campaign coming up at the weekend, several weeks later than usual but I'm looking for a shorter plateau than usual (plus VLM is very late this year).
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Very sorry to hear that Jools, as CD said 39 is far too young to be taken away.
    CC2 .. the wisdom borne of experience will occasionally triumph over the enthusiasm of youth (usually over long distance  :) ) .  I managed to beat all my younger clubmates (who often leave me for dust over 5k/10k) at the York marathon which earned me a few free beers post race.
    Best of luck with the rehab Stevie.
    8.3m today, first time the legs have felt normal again this week.
  • PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

Jools - going to a funeral for someone in their 30s with a young child must be rough.

6M yesterday lunchtime, then 4M this morning (about 1M with the dog, then into work) - properly cold this morning. Still wore shorts though!

• Hello fellow sub3 runners. I'm in training for the Brighton marathon so may be on here a bit for reassurance over the next few months. Anyone else doing it (hello @Essex Eagle)?

Aiming for a qualifying Boston time with sub-3 a nice bonus if it happens. I did 2:58 five years ago at Pisa but it's been all shorter distances / tri / 2 kids since then, and I'm of Vet age now so getting all my excuses in early. 
  • Hey TGO - I am indeed doing it, but wrestling with hamstring issues at the moment which is why I've been lurking more than posting on here of late. Still racking up the miles though and hoping they don't go pop!

Sounds like some cracking running going on elsewhere though - solidarity to others grappling with niggles, thoughts with those dealing with tough stuff away from the pavements and good luck to those racing this weekend!