Sub 3

Comments

• I'm afraid Grace's ball chasing days are long behind her TR and her eyesight isn't so good now and seems to be worse in the half light which makes her very nervy. I don't think it's fair to drag her out in the dark so that I can fit an extra couple of miles in. I so miss the days of being able to run with her - I could get a cheeky afternoon recovery run in the guise of her walk and she'd love it.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    LMH - fair do's. Its a good job mine doesnt mind the dark, as otherwise i wouldnt get much running done some days.

Just seen its due to be nice and mild for tomorrows long run. Lovely stuff. I bet the next two weekends are shocking seeing as im racing.
  • No long run for me this week but I did manage three MLRs and am on for my highest mileage week of the year so far - a shame next week is going to be difficult. Are you going to train your dog to run with you TR? Grace was good for up to ten miles as long as we ran where she could get a drink if she needed it and turning an afternoon walk into three miles or more was a great use of time.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    LMH - 3 mlr is fine, you run long runs year round. Im not doing a 20 on the next 2 weekends. Ive done 2 mlr again, the mlr focus is still there. No running with the doggy planned.
  • Cracking LR Wardi.
    I used to run with our dog all the time. We did a 3:30 marathon in training one year & was still keen for a walk about 2 hours later which was more than I was! Fortunately the OH was never a runner or an early riser so Merryn was the fittest dog around. Unfortunately once we split 3 years ago the dog ceased to run so often. She's over 11 & so not so keen on running over 5K. She can still walk all day but starts to lag behind if I take her running, partly age & partly lack of training.
    5M & 7M easy double today. 
    Forecast is pretty grim for racing Sunday: 23mph winds gusting above 40! My flat & fast 8M race is on a very exposed course too so might just make it a LR with 8M at HMP depending on how I feel.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Jools - that was a fit doggy !

Time on feet long run today, 23m in just under 3.01 ( av 7.51). So just tipped into the death zone for a few seconds.

83 for the week (6,16,10,15,6,7,23)
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Cracking effort over 23m TR, decent week in the bank too.
    My legs felt a bit cranky after yesterday but decided to roll up at the Parkrun and run to feel.  Pleasantly surprised to run 10 secs quicker than last week on tired legs, tapering is obviously for wusses!  Did a warm down lap to round it up to 5m.
    Jooligan.. ditto, my club race tomorrow is 8m though I'm not sure the forecast windchill will do my hands any favours.  Will decide in the morning, it's either that or the treadie.
  • Bah my chest is feeling a bit phlegmed up and I have a cough. Otherwise fine but last night's 10k easy was HR 15bpm higher and more of a struggle than it should have been. Did TRX for an hour today to get something in. I don't think there's a LR in tomorrow's forecast :(

great mileage @TR for the week. 

The only reason me and OH don't have a dog is because of our time spent running! (oh and our 2 boys under 4, I forget about them sometimes o:) ).  Would love some company like that on a weekend run but never imagined they would be up for anything beyond an hour. 

The boys have done park runs with me in the running buggy though and a bit of training runs for up to 45 min. Older one no longer fits in there now but he especially loved it. But would be especially cutting with the criticism sometimes "daddy why didn't we win?".  :D:D At least a dog wouldn't care!
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    That's a strong week TR.
    Well parkran Wardi.
    Rocked up to parkrun this morning with no great expectations. 2M wu was OK but didn't feel like I was raring to race but once the RD said GO I was off & in the lead. Amazingly nobody came with me so by 1K I was running a solo effort. Relaxed a bit but still working hard I maintained the lead easily, lost pace returning across the slippery grass/mud before rejoining the tarmac for the final K. I tried to up the pace but the body was having none of it although it is a 1% uphill gradient so perhaps that was partly to blame. Still first over the line with my nearest pursuer a minute back. My slowest time ever on that course by 30s though - obviously all the speed merchants decided to avoid the mud. 2M cd made 7 :)
  • saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    EE - good stuff getting a couple of quick turnaround runs in including some faster stuff with the club. The HM will be a good indication of fitness even if you run it at MP.

TGO - hope you feel better soon and the lurg buggers off pronto. Plenty of vit c, rest etc

Jooligan - top stuff on the mlr at work on a TM and parkrun win. You're mixing things up nicely and racing well on tired legs as you say. Hope you're race goes well.

LMH - you can only do what you can do. Three mlr this week is definitely not going to hurt your campaign. 

Wardi - nice to get that longer run done in warm-ish temps. Nice surprise at the parkrun. If you race tomorrow have a good one.

TR - super stuff on the long run and another cracking week. You must be really happy with the way things are going. That 3:01 has certainly stoked the fires. Great to see.

OO - have a good one fella. Look forward to the race report. Don't forget the sun block !

Felt rubbish towards the end of the working week. Some knee pain after Wednesday's 12 made Thursdays easy 6 a slog and HR was high. Decided to listen to the warning signs and had a rest day yesterday.

Felt better for that and had a thought that switching to a pair of New Balance 860s recently could be the cause of the knee pain. Put on a well worn in pair of asics 1000 and ran up and down the canal for 10 this morning with the middle 6 at 6:30/mile. Felt really strong and controlled, helped having the rest day.

Good news is no knee pain. Have ordered another pair of the asics. Will run easy in the NB to use them up. Long one tomorrow. Can't say I'm really that up for it and the weather looks dreadful here.

Onwards.
  • Go well OuchOuch.

Get well soon TGO.

Good that you’ve got to the bottom of the niggle before it became a problem so.

Nice miles TR.

Hope you have better weather than us Wardi and enjoy your race.

I may have to take my second rest day of the month today, not feeling well and pushed for time. I’ll see how I feel later if a window of opportunity presents itself but I’m not very hopeful. Need to be well for work this week as it’s back to as full time as I get.

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Bit of a hit and miss week this end: I seem to have developed IBS which has meant food is not my friend this week and then on Thursday morning one of the cats was knocked over. Ultimately he's got off fairly lightly with bruising to his lungs and a fractured leg (he did have a pneumothorax which they treated under sedation) but he is on 4 weeks' cage rest. He doesn't like the cage. I am interviewing a cat sitter today to quite literally come and sit with him each lunchtime when I'm at work.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Wardi - hope you got outside.

SJ - sounds like your knees didnt like the new shoes. That 10m was tasty, you are tuning up well. Not sure if its the 3.01 or all the cramping, but its fired me up. Shame i didnt put a campaign in like this 5 or 6 years ago, now its become a game of catch up. Im sure there will be something to derail me a bit somewhere along the way.

LmH - sounds like a rest day is in order.

Blimey Joolska, hope you get some better luck soon.

6m easy, legs felt ok after ydays 23, i think the couple of progressive long runs have paid off a bit.
  • You do seem to be having a rough time of it Joolska. Can you not take cat in cage to work with you?

Unfortunately I think you're right TR. I'm tired, achey and not motivated to go out and fight the wind for the sake of the few miles I could fit in today.  :(
  • saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Jools - that's sad news re your cat. Hope he makes a full recovery. Our cat was run over many, many years ago. He had to have titanium leg replacement! He's still going strong at 20 years old.

LMH - sounds like the right call to take a rest day. Hope you feel all the better for it.

TR - I feel the same about lost time. Still we have all the tomorrow's to look forward to. I sincerely hope you don't have any derailments as you so deserve a solid campaign and race result. Last year alone would have had the opposite effect on most people compared to your focus and determination for this Brighton build-up.

Got my 21 miles in this morning. Game of two halves. First 10.5 were cruisey. Second 10.5 were a slog in the wind, even on the relatively sheltered canal tow path. Very slippy too in places due to the mud! Cold wet feet need thawing out. Another one banked so that's all that matters. No fast finish this week. Just miles in the legs.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    LMH - good call.

SJ - well toughed out. Time on feet is fine some weeks, too many fast finish long runs is a bad idea.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Jools.. young cats do tend to have more wanderlust & curiosity so it seems yours got unlucky, a swift recovery to kitty+.  I'm sure CC2 will be along soon with dietary advice as she has suffered similarly.  Sorry to hear of more bad luck.  :'(
    SJ.. maximum brownie points getting a 21miler done today, that wind was brutal!
    LMH.. I had my first rest day since early Nov recently, I certainly think it was needed and did me no harm at all.
    TR.. hope you enjoyed the shorter recovery run, certainly well earned.
    I did toe the line outside today at the club handicap race (8m) though after my efforts over the last 2 days my legs were definitely not up for racing.  A very strong NW wind which was experienced mostly in the first half, otherwise sunny.  Ran around at near MP pace which was still hard work.  Rounded it up to 10.5m which took me up to 61m for the week, happy with that for now.
  • Couple of strong days there SJ. No need for any speed in the LR after your 10w6@6:30 Saturday.
    Hope the day off did you some good LMH, seems to have worked well for SJ again.
    I raced my annual 8M today at Lliswerry & recorded my 2nd slowest time in 8 years  Although I knew I wasn't in PB shape I was disappointed with the time as it's over 3 minutes down. Last year I set my PR PB the day before & was 3 minutes quicker before anyone blames my parkrun effort. 
    I started conservatively but still lost a minute over the second half largely due to the ferocious wind: 25mph with 40+ mph gusts. I was still reeling people in right til the end & only got overtaken by one guy, a youngster, after the first half mile & that was with less than a mile to go. Beat my clubmate who was 40s quicker than me at Speedway last Sunday too so overall I guess the race wasn't actually a disaster. 21M for the day as I did a 3M wu & extended the cd to 10M. Annoyingly my HRM just packed up without warning yesterday so no HR data to analyse.
  • Dan ADan A ✭✭✭
    Well done on some some quality long runs from SJ, TR & Jooligan (can't beat a good 10 mile cool down after a long race!!)

Joolska - bad luck on the cat; what's the going rate for catsitting?  Reckon I could do that ok  ;)

Won't steal his thunder but OO should be very pleased with his race today; saw him with a couple of hundred metres to go and he was still going strong, despite the weather getting towards the mid-twenties by 11.30.

I'm in the same place on a week's hol, so was only a coincidence the running festival was on.  As such, rude not to do the half (missus did the 10k).  No special treatment, few beers the night before on arrival etc.  Ran OK (esp as I did an ultra two weeks ago); pretty much held the same position all the way round running alone from about 4k, and finished in 80:51 - solid, though unspectacular, but not a bad place to launch back into some proper Boston marathon training on my return.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Well done wardi, good few days work there

Jools - not a day for running fast timed

Dan - thats a swift 1/2. I saw OO had a good day, hope his mate kept up.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    LMH: I'm a barrister, so although a few days in Swindon county court might be interesting for the cat, I don't think the judge would be impressed ;)
  • Nice one Dan, cracking run. I think I saw you at the half marathon turnaround spot and thanks for the encouragement at the end.
    A good morning in the sun. Enjoyed a few beers at a beachside restaurant the evening before so taking a mara holiday approach. Third year here so knew the course with the last 3k run on the seafront alongside the beach which makes a great spectacle. and it more or less went to plan.  Finish time 2.55.59 so that's a 2.55 then, 87/88 so the pacing is getting better and 27th out of 985 and the run of 11 consecutive sub 3s continues. My mate ran his own race and did really well 2.57 so enjoyed lots of beer last night. It did get a touch warm but plenty of water to pour over myself and sponges to keep the heat at bay. 
  • Well done OO - sounds like you cruised it!

Nice racing Jooligan - I couldn't work out from Strava what was going on for a minute yesterday. Thought you'd been for about five runs until I realised they were warm ups and cool downs etc!

Sorry for your travails LMH - I've often felt in the past that when I have most needed to run to escape the world for an hour or so you can't manage to get out. Or the mind's just not willing.

5m steadyish for me on Sat (7:05av); 16 yesterday (7:46av, faster last few miles). Do feel a bit underbaked at the minute after three 45 mile weeks - would usually be beyond 50 and closer to 60 - but am trying to focus on quality rather than quantity and the hamstrings are making me err on the side of caution. 
  • TR -- wow, big miles!

Jooligan -- nice one on the parkwin.

Jools -- good luck with the injuries, both human and feline.

Wardi & Jooligan -- well raced in the gales.

Nice HM Dan, and beautifully paced marathon OO!

I ran the Southern XC champs on Parliament Hill on Sat, just for the fun of the battle-charge start and to meet up with club people really. My HR was very high all the way round, not sure whether to take that as a positive (legs able to keep up enough demand) or negative (unfit so HR higher than it should be!). I don't think I did that well really. With jogs to and from railway stations, made it 20 miles for the day.

Being a Sat race, I was interested to see how many others who did it seemed perfectly able to do reasonable longish runs on the Sunday, whereas I have quite bad DOMS and had to cycle today, after an abortive 2M shuffle yesterday. My legs just seem to be so poor at recovery. Or maybe I just push them harder!

• Nice Marathon OO 

Great training going on SJ / TR  Ive followed a few Strava folk (RS my initials) 

Ive felt a bit on the ropes last few weeks, perhaps why Ive kept my head down and kept on with it. 

Had a similar run to CW with the bonking last Saturday, skipped tea (had a few pints) slept, missed brekkie went out, and was in trouble from mile 11. Mile 14 was close to civilisation and dived Into a pub for a pint of fat coke. 

This Saturday I said to myself that I HAD to get a 20 done, and as Wardi had said above, I started out running around our horse racing track, (1.45m) thought shall I go around this 14 times, but I got bored at 1.5 laps and took myself off into the countryside! Got the 20 done with quite a few loops and add ons and run backs. I'm hoping that it's good training to get to the bottom of my street at 19.5 and have to continue!

Ive done a few progressive 9 milers recently which Ive enjoyed, average at the end 6.50. This week, I'm intending on doing some mileage at MP and see how its feeling. Also need another 20+ on the weekend. 

• CW - I have a theory on races and recovery, I always used to train relatively slow - so a big gulf to my race times, and I used to be like tinman for ages after a race. whereas I know people where race times Aren't that much different to training paces and they recover relatively quickly.(though I think they're underachieving in races tbh)  
  • WTGY - I'm the opposite, train slow and recover fast (generally). Hope you're feeling better soon.

EE - I did think about trying to substitute some quantity for quality but I'm pretty sure the hamstring would go (if nothing else) if I did.

Enjoy the sun Dan.

Nice racing OuchOuch - how are the niggles?

I'm surprised you recover so badly Charlie given your mileage - do you refuel appropriately post race/long run?

A shame you're not in chambers this week Joolska but I guess it's being in court that pays the bills. Were you successful in recruiting a cat sitter?

Difficult to know what to make of that Jooligan.

Wardi - I'm beggining to think it may be age catching up with me!
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Yes. I was sent a photo of the cat sat on the harpsichord to prove she was there!
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Joolska - can't you post more often, thats one of my all time favourite posts, the cat sitter sent a picture of the cat sitting on the harpsichord. You should have got your butler or maid to do the cat sitting for you. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    I had best comment on the running now

OO - well controlled race that, great work on extending the sub3 streak too.

CW - im with WTG, if you go smash xc after not having done any xc previoys then you are bound to be achey. Go do 100 push ups and see how your chest and arms are tomorrow, or 100 squats.

WTG - im impressed you carry beer money on a run, you could have had a stella instead of a coke.

15m run home tonight. Tomorrow will be icy, so just the minimal 5m run back.