Sub 3

Comments

• Just 13 for me, but that is my longest run of the year!
  • Great to see that you're able to increase the distance Joolska and good news on the pussy. It's so hard when our pets are ill or injured.

Sounds like a great training day TR.

Well done on getting the long run done CC2. It was much better underfoot here today but still bliddy cold. I was fantasising about a warm weather running holiday.

Just a MLR for me today but I'm hoping to do the same again tomorrow and long run on Wednesday all being well. A much better pace today, slow to start but ended up with an average not far off where I'd usually expect to be which made me feel better.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Well done on the 20 CC.

Plenty of time left in the year to top that 13 joolska

Well done LMH, that would be a big few days.

I had stitch towards the end of my 23m run last weekend, and had an ache from my ribs today, so maybe ive damaged a bit of rib slightly. .........i also forgot to mention that someone gave me a cup of water when i had finished today and it had ice in it.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Promising 10k TR and a nice Bubkaesque sub 38 :) Oh and true grit turning it into a 20m+.
    Glad you are managing to get out for those MLR's LMH, the temps look a little kinder next week thank goodness.
    SJ.. well done indeed cramming all those miles in pre-wedding.  I hope you helped yourself to an extra vol-au-vent or two and extra slurps of beer & champers.
    CC2.. cracking long run in the cold.
    13m is a good foundation Jools, hope the cat didn't mind :)
    Guests staying this weekend so only had time for 10.2m on the treadie today.  I did drag myself out to one of the local parkruns yesterday and it was bliddy freezing (0 degrees, 13mph wind).  5k on part frozen slush was quite good fun once I got going, though traction was an occasional problem.  I converted the 2m warm down into a warm up, as I soon got cold again post race!  53m for the week.  
  • Good running in the conditions everyone!

Got very lucky this end - was scared the ice would put paid to my half marathon (Great Bentley in Essex) yesterday but it actually turned into ideal conditions in the end; a few degrees and a nice warm sun. Regretted wearing a base layer by about a mile in, but then never overheated. Sat on the shoulder of one of my club mates for 10 miles, then left him when a van cut him up and broke his stride. Finished in 1:25 which was exactly what I was looking for - a good tempo sesh without trying to smash it and aggravate the hammy. Last few miles were the strongest and felt like I had more left in the tank. Old me would have been grumbling that it wasn't a PB, but new me is looking at it as a solid training run and remembering Brighton is the target! 
  • Ha CD, I hadn't noticed my marathon mileage multiplier!

Nice work in the half, EE.

Conditions were beautiful here yesterday, freezing cold start but mainly dry surfaces. I intended to have another go at the 28-mile round trip to the end of the busway, but given that I conked out at 24 last time, changed my objective to merely running a marathon, which psychologically made a big difference somehow -- "only" 26M made it a much easier prospect. Did that in 3hr11, holding a nice steady pace, but with my HR drifting ever upwards to maintain it. Legs a bit wrecked today but still just about functional. I did carb load a bit on Sat night this time, maybe that helped.

• Mad miles as ever Charlie.

Great that you are pleased with your race EE - hope the hamstring is ok today?
  • No ill effects to report so far LMH. There were a few moments when I thought it might be seizing up, but it behaved itself. Think it helped that it wasn’t flat out pace - feel like I can train at about 85% at the minute as a compromise, but the hammies will let me know if I push it any harder! How are yours doing? 
  • Good news EE. Mine is much the same, fine bimbling but going to give me gyp if I try to make it run fast.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Good boost that EE. 1.25 with some in reserve, you know you hammy will hold up at that pace and you don't need to run any quicker than that from now until Brighton.

CW - with a bit of a carb load you'd have probably made the full 28. Much better pace yday too than some of your sub3 training maras.

I ended up having a much lighter week than planned last week due to the weather and ended up with 2x mlr and 5 x 5 or 6 milers. I did plan a light week this week before worthing, but i dont want 2 in a row,  so as my legs felt fine after ydays efforts i did 13m home this evening.
  • Nice easy half EE. I wish I could run 1.25 with some left in the tank! 

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    10m back again this morning  so 43 or 44m in 48hrs. Slightly progressive, without meaning too. Will ease off for worthing 1/2 now.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Your new EE self should be very pleased with that, cracking performance and someleft in the tank.  Sounds like it couldn't have gone better. 
    Cracking long run CC and I liked the look of your 23m TR.   But take it a little easier now TR, don't overdo it, its your time to dig up the potatoes. 
    That was a super training run, CW, always so impressed how you can recover so quickly from a tough run like that.  Being a 'youngser' I suppose. 
    Just recovery running at the mo, lamenting the lack of sunshine and heat. 
  • TR -- wow, that's a lot of miles in 2 days.
    OO -- ha it's all relative, I was moaning about my horrendous recovery as I creaked to work at 10 m/M or something yesterday! Better today though, so I seemed to escape actual DOMS from my training run. I'm home alone tonight so I can run round in circles until I can't stand it any more; not sure how far that will be.
  • Nice miles TR.

I'd like some sun too OuchOuch, heavy frost and minus temps here again this morning.

Quite far at a guess Charlie.

• How do you mean by creaking CW ? I do run slower runs sometimes, but thats a huge drop? aches and pains / gait altering? 

I guess me looking at you, CW and TR and the recoveries, I'm ignoring that you guys have been consistently consistent for what 10 years+ maybe since first saying hello on here and have won the right to go back to back and big miles

55 last week but missed the long run, 12 + 8.5 gets this week started nicely.
    I also did a club run over the weekend, have to balance bravado with own training plan with not being lazy with getting a bit of a push from the club mates 
  • LMH heavy frost up here too, means trail running in road shoes :smile:
  • I do a fair few of my miles on the trails (very non technical) in my road shoes WTGY, easier on the joints as well as the eye.
  • Not in court today, so 12 miles at lunchtime and now sat on the sofa dealing with work emails with the poorly cat snuggled up next to me.  
  • What time you targeting at Worthing TR?

Painfully slow five miler at lunch; DOMS biting me on the arse today!
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    OO - id like dome sunshine too.

WTG - i used to get sore legs a lot when i ran less often, since i started again after injury ive had a couple of years of running most days, although only short distances at first. Im now used to multi double digit days a week, and do a block of them at Christmas. I havnt done any quicker training lately though so that helps the legs.

EE - when i was running my 10k sunday i was trying to work out how fast i thought i could run worthing, and i decided i had no idea and that its too difficult to predict during mararthon build up. No doubt it will be windy anyway. 1.25ish if its not too windy ?
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    TR.. nice front ending mileage wise before Worthing.  FWIW forecast up here is gales Fri/Sat but ok on Sunday.
    Ditto WTGY, great start to the week.
    It must be nearly spring if Charlie is running marathons in training, well done indeed sire.
    EE.. that's a thoroughly decent half if you weren't firing on all cylinders, nice one.
    Must be nice to get 12m done in the daylight Jools, is the mog improving?
    OO.. has the suntan gone yet?  :)
    Steady 9m for me today, I'm planning a longer run tomorrow which may or may not involve running round a loop several times.

• Sounds like a good use of a day wfh Joolska.

I guess you'll find out on the day TR - are you planning to give it full beans?

Forecast wet tomorrow and getting windier here too Wardi so I'm hoping to get my long run in today. We had a lot of rain go through last night so no idea where I'll find to run, may need to be mainly road based. Can' say I'm feeling very enthusiastic, this year seems to have knocked the stuffing out of me a bit.
  • saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    EE - very nice HM with some left in reserve. I ran 1.25 before Abo last year with some left in the tank. Like 'old you' I was a tad disappointed initially but quickly reminded myself my days of running sub 80 were over 10 years ago and in the grand scheme of things the 1.25 represented perfect build-up to running 2.58 at Abo.

CW - standard training marathons are back I see :) Super stuff.

TR - awesome front loading. Go easy now as you say for a decent ROI at Worthing.

WTGY - what mara are you doing again? Is it Manchester?

Wardi - hope the loop doesn't drive you round the bend !

Jools - nice to see some double-digits after the injury troubles you've suffered with.

Last weekend's fun took it out of me a little as I've been really tired this week. The travel and sleeping in hotel rooms combined with a decent blow-out at the wedding meant Mondays lethargic 6 miles felt very uncomfortable.

Similarly last nights club session of just over 1k efforts in crappy weather didn't feel great either.

I was always taking it easier this week anyway after three big weeks (for me). Then the final block of training before the taper. I need to book a couple of warm up races asap - I've been saying that for weeks now :)

• It can be hard to tell TR - I actually enjoyed not even thinking about it on Sunday until about five minutes before the start when me and a club mate agreed to run 6:30s. In the past I would have been working out permutations all week!

I don't think sub-3 is quite in reach for me yet SJ - I just want to finish Brighton without blowing up and with a smile on my face if possible! And don't beat yourself up about beginning of this week, you've been putting plenty of miles in the bank.

Club session for me tonight but I imagine most of us will be taking it easy after Sunday. First lady on Sunday ran 1:12 breaking her own course record by three minutes! Incredible.  

•  Then the final block of training before the taper. 

Now that is a frightening thought! I am doing manchester yep, I'm viewing it as 6-7 weeks of great training then about a week or so taper which makes it sound further away 
  • Didn't we used to view the sub 3 gateway as 1.25 if old / good base of training, and 1.23 if relatively new to running? 

(I don't think I could do either right this moment, but thats what training is for isn't it!)
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Wardi - looks like a windy week here too.

LMH - will see how i feel on the day, won't be fresh enough for full beans, but i will get a sweat up. Forecast is for wind so im losing interest.

EE - agreed, need to wait until the day and see how it feels.

WTG - 1.23ish if fresh, maybe 1.25 if its an untapered training race. 

SJ - you must have made the wedding in time. Not surprised you were tired.

Just looked back, i did 1.25.2X last yr at worthing, but i targeted it more than this time, and was hoping for better, but there was a right gale blowing.
    Who knows what can happen i did 1.30 at iow on a tough hilly day 2 months before Abo.
  • TR - arrived at hotel with one hour to spare for wedding ceremony.
  • WTGY -- when I'm very ploddy, I can be "running" at 10 m/M or worse. Quite a lot of my commutes are at 9 m/M. Not a funny gait, no acute pain patches -- just muscles that don't want to know. All cured by a day or two off, which is what I do before my long run. This morning my legs were unexpectedly, exquisitely ploddy; maybe because I ran a total of 20M yesterday, then had a not-very-carby supper, so I guess the glycogen tanks were just empty. I don't feel that can always be the explanation of my ploddiness though, I find it a bit mysterious. Other times I think I just have low-level DOMS.

A lot of good training going on already! It must indeed be Spring (nearly)...