Sub 3

Comments

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    Well done SJ. Not many wee ks to go now. I have 3 x 20 and a 1/2 mara left. How many 20s have you done ?

Wardi - sensible run there then if you only have 2 weeks left. Defo get to the Indian, as you might have to waitva few weeks otherwise.
  • Where was it windy? Blimey, I don't even know. It was a confusing maze of a course to me. I just remember every time I was going into the wind I couldn't breathe, and I got blown sideways a number of times. It felt like it was windy everywhere, but mostly cross wind. No mud though. I hate mud. I rolled both ankles on one long downhill bit though. Lost a few places but made them back up again in the sprint finish I think. 

I scoured the internet for last season's Ravenna's and came up blank, but found the latest edition for £83 on Amazon of all places. I think the Bostons are neutrals aren't they? I need a bit of support unfortunately. I miss the days when M&M direct had Tempos for £16!
  • I think you've earned it Wardi! Fog didn't clear here until nearly lunchtime.

Sounds like a lovely way to spend the day TR.

You are running the long ones faster and further than me at the minute sj - bodes well for race day. Sounds like a nice evening you have planned. I really miss living by the sea.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Some cracking long runs going on.  Must be nearly March already.  I managed one myself, 20 miles along the Birmingham canals this morning (we're up visiting or eldest at Uni).  It was even a bit progressive, probably a result of me just not running well straight out the door and picking up as I go along.

Yesterday morning I managed to get down to the parkrun at Cannon Hill.  It's a fast flat one, apart from the last 100m being fairly sharply uphill.  A right sting in the tail!

Interesting chat on the 4%s.  I must admit I'm in two minds - I know there have always been 'race' shoes that are faster than regular shoes, but I like to think that I could have picked one of any number of pairs and my PB's would have been pretty much the same.  It doesn't really seem right that a PB depends on one specific model, and a very expensive one at that. 

On the other hand, if a pair could get me to one more sub 2:45 which would get me a an entry to Tokyo, the saving over having to pay for a Sportstours entry would more than justify the cost!

Odd that this is the same company that brought out the Mayfly, £25 a pair and lasting a lot longer than the 100km they claimed.  A wonderful shoe, I still have some somewhere.

• Well done Wardi. That's a decent 10M time for a less than flat out effort & excellent mileage with the additional 10K.
    Smashing 22M that SJ. Looking really strong for Manchester.
    Sounds like a decent show at XC Speedy
    Thanks for the Bostons info LMH, my current pair are just over 2 years old & have nearly 700M on the clock. I'd like a new pair for Brighton & StartFitness always have discount codes so that'll be closer to £70
    Well my easier week paid dividends today. 1:25:17 at Wokey so whilst not as quick as last year it was a big improvement on last Sunday, in spite it being my 3rd big w/e of racing. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    CD - nice one on the 20. £25 sounds better than £200. Its a bit like buying time via a better TT bike. I see a fat guy commuting on a cervelo TT bike, always makes me smile.

Jools - yay ! Well done, as predictably unpredictable as i predicted. You are heading towards sub3 shape.
  • I get far more than 500 miles out of my Bostons too Jooligan - but they are my everyday as well as race shoe. If you find a discount code to bring the price down further please let me know. Glad you feel happier with your race.

I expect £200 for the shoes wouldn't seem too bad if you could lose the Sportstours premium CD.

I'm still feeling hurt that Joe thought I was having a poke at him  :(
  • PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

SJ - excellent LR. They can be tough but will pay off in the marathon.

Wardi - sensible and the 10k afterwards will have built some good endurance after a moderately hard 10M.

CC2 - sounds like a good effort at the Nationals. I've also opted out of the Intercounties - need to get back here by about 5pm which wouldn't be possible and I can't justify a whole day out.

Jooligan - excellent run there, particularly given you weren't feeling on great form shortly before.

CD - nice parkrun/LR combo weekend.

13M for me on Saturday morning, finishing with parkrun. I got there about 30s before the start and started fairly steadily, gradually reeled in the leader in the 2nd and 3rd miles, but then he sprinted past me again at the finish. It wasn't fast (17:2x) but felt fairly controlled.

The rest of the weekend was a bit hectic (no running) as it was Mrs P's 40th, so had a party Saturday evening with abut 70 people attending, and spent the rest of the weekend with family and catching up with various people we haven't seen for several years.

• LMH try GWENTXCSF10 for 10% off.
    Sounds like a nicely balanced w/e Padams

• Well done at the XC CC2 - might not have been enjoyable at the time, but I'm sure you'll feel the benefit in the long term.

Well ran at Wokey Jools - one of my clubmates (Brentwood Running Club) also posted a 1:25 so wonder if you saw him. Sounds like Joe had a good day at the office there too. 

Lots of good long running going on elsewhere - we're really into the guts of it now. I was up and ready to do 22 miles at 6:30 yesterday morning until a family emergency meant I spent most of the day in hospital. Was really debating not running at all or just doing a few miles, so was pretty proud of myself to tough out 20 miles at 6:30pm instead. No great pace or anything, but just one of those ones where you're pleased the mind overpowers the body. 

• Sounds a perfect weekend Padams - and hopefully in the sunshine too.  40, that was the age I started marathoning. Seems both a long and short time ago, if that makes sense?
    Some cracking LSR banked over the weekend, so much easier in the better weather. A cracking LSR after a tempo session SJ.  Keep it ticking over now for a few more weeks and your on for a good run.  
    Nice racing Jooligan, a decent time and a great training boost for the next few weeks.
    Looking good for Barca too Wardi - be interested in what you think of the slightly rejigged course as intend re-running sometime.
    Sun and blue skies y'day fantastic and banked a 17m run (generally 6.40s - 7mm). 
    £200 on magic shoes, maybe if I was in great shape, chasing a lifetime PB and run-out of marginal gains.      
  • LMH - not at all, I didn't mean it to come across that way. Each to their own and all that. Apologies if I made it seem that I was being in any way mean - not intended at all :)

Nice work at the nationals CC, always character building!

Hope the birthday celebrations were fun Padams, and good running.

EE - hope all is well with the family. Very impressive dedication getting out there in the evening. 

Wokingham half for me at the weekend, and it was the shoes that made the headlines, but for all the wrong reasons! Muggins here, always one to double knot every time, got distracted halfway through and had only single looped..

So off we go, and I'm actually feeling great, but before the first mile is out, my left lace is undone. No way I can run 12 miles with it like that, so I pull over and faff around trying to tie it.

Sure enough, a mile later the right one is flapping around, and I'm stopping again to tie. Nightmare - what an absolute rookie!

Felt like I surged too much after these points, with the first mile still inside goal pace despite a 15 second stop. Mentally, I was fuming, and at points just thought why not chuck it in now, save it for another day. But I cracked on, as I told myself it's not always about the time, focus on the process and the training effect. 

Anyway, ended up running well to 11 before starting to tie up a bit. Had been running with the leading female and at this point she started to gap me. Had a mini-resurgence with a solid final 2 miles, ending up with 1:16:56, a rather annoying 3 seconds slower than my PB. 

Still, I think the stops added up to around 30 seconds (Strava seems to agree), so I know I've got some more there, especially with a few more weeks decent training.

Did have a chuckle when I went through 10km in 35:55. In early Jan I couldn't break 18 mins for 5km. Seems like this training lark actually works, who'd have thought it. May well have another go at Reading in 3 weeks time.  
  • GBRMGBRM ✭✭✭
    Nice work Joe! I'm hoping that starting training this week has a similarly positive effect.

Abingdon entries just opened - I have entered!
  • I'm glad I didn't offend Joe - if money were no object I'd definitely be trying a pair though I'd have put elastic laces in :-) What a pain to be in such great shape and lose out like that.

Hope everything is ok EE. Well done for getting out after that.

I hope Mrs Padams enjoyed her birthday. 40 seems like a long time ago!

That was a speedy run OuchOuch - niggles ok now?

Thanks Jooligan - I'll have a go when I get home. I only have one spare pair currently so could do with picking some up whilst they're cheap, even if they aren't exactly my first choice colour wise. Did they have your size?

In one of those runs which show what a strange game this is I ran 20 this morning after the same yesterday, first back to back long runs of the year - and this morning's came out faster - go figure. More importantly both runs were enjoyable and progressive (though not fast) whereas it's all felt like a bit of a slog recently.

• PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

Joe - great run despite the muppetry with the shoelaces!

LMH - yes, Mrs P seemed to have a really good time as did everyone else. 2x20 in two days is very impressive, and the fact that the second one was faster shows how good your endurance is.

Weirdly my back twinge seemed to mostly go away within 24 hours, although I can still feel it slightly when I twist in a certain way (reaching across to put on a seat belt is worst). Doesn't affect running though.

HM on Sunday will be interesting - have no idea what shape I'm in. I think I'd be fine to race up to 10k or so, but not sure I'm be able to run well over the longer distance.

• Impressive double that LMH. Unfortunately not at that price - they're £94 in a size 11 :(
  • If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    That's a cracking run Joe,  and a great bounce back to very fast running.  Been there with loose shoe laces and muppetry is a fine word for it.  
    LMH - (Reasonably) good thanks.   Had to slice open my left running shoe so could fit in my foot and enlarged toes.  Well done on the 2 * 20 miles, you must be in great shape albeit a bit tired. 
    Never run Abingdon, slightly tempted.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    LMH - it wont take you long to put 500m on a pair of shoes ! The way to look at the 4% shoes is that they are race shoes only, itd take a lot of races to put 2 or 300m on them. Goig one on the back to backs, no surprise as you have been doing 20s the day after 1/2s.

Good weeend there padams, good that your back is ok too.

EE - great work getting that long run done.

OO - speedy 17m, you have bounced back quick.

15m here. Ive entered Abo, but then i quite often do.
  • Al_PAl_P ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Wardi - Nicely done in Sunday's Snake Lane 10, that's definitely worth a curry

Jooligan - Well run at Wokingham

Joe B - Great work at Wokingham too (laces not withstanding!)

CC2 - Good work toughing out the Nationals

SJ - 22M, tick  :)

TR - A quality P&D long one banked.

LMH - Impressive B2B long runs

Padams - That must have been a hectic weekend, I tend to do similar with my running in such circumstances, bank something reasonable (usually around a parkrun) on Saturday morning and then devote the rest of the weekend to family things.

EE - 20M, tick!

OO - Nice speedy long run

Slightly left field weekend for me running-wise, ending up with an entry to a local charity trail 10k* on Saturday. It was a 2 lap course (you could run it as a 5k too) around the grounds of an activity centre on the edge of the New Forest. The course map looked a bit convoluted so I opted for a full-lap recce to get familiar and I'm glad I did... It was very well marked but really twisty in places and under foot varied from gravel track to churned up mud (post forestry work). The start was a headlong rush down a grassy slope into a sharp narrow left bend and I was 5/6th person through. From there I sat in behind those infront of me and followed along as we threaded through the trees. Somewhere in mile 2 we reached the aforementioned churned up section where we all weaved left and right hoping to find something semi-solid to step on. It was also uphill and by the top I managed to slip past into 2nd. I was then chasing 1st, although I didn't know if he was running just 5k or the full 10. He gradually opened up the gap and arriving back at the start I was relieved to see him across the finish line. It was then a case of holding the lead around lap 2 and it was job done  B) .
    I recieved a rather ecclectic range of prizes; a decent digital non-gadget (now in the possession of Al_P mini 1 so he can time junior parkruns), a camo hip/belt bumbag thing with water bottle (gifted to Al_P mini 2), a RW guide to nutrition (already well thumbed by Mrs Al_P) and a bottle of red (drunk by Al_P on Saturday night, hic!)

My legs had been getting a bit grumbly last week, so I took Sunday off. Now got a medium-light week go into next Sunday's Inter-Counties 20M Race in Essex. Did 8+8(inc strides) yesterday and an easy 9 this morning. Plan is to do a medium (6-8m) steady effort @ c.85% Max HR tempo tomorrow and then taper down Thursday to Saturday.

*approx race distance, since acknowledged to be a bit short
  • Well done in the half, Jooligan.

JoeB -- well done despite the laces! I not only double-knot mine, but put a safety-pin through them as well so they can't come undone. (But my shoes are loose enough to take on and off without undoing the laces, should I get a stone in there.)

Nice win AlP!

I was away for the weekend but found a flattish quiet road to do 6x1M and then a tourist bit (visiting Adnams brewery), 21M in all reasonably brisk. Then a big work trip yesterday, so no running, but did get 20 miles in on the Brompton. 10M commute this morning including a nominal 2M effort, but for the rest of this week I'll be tapering for the Cambridge half on Sunday.

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    Good one Al, i like it that you kept the best prize to yourself.

CW - your legs sound ok now then.

10m inc 15x3min today, legs were quite tired by the last few reps.
  • Nice prize winning Al!

OuchOuch - I'm not sure you should be running on a foot that won't fit into your shoes.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Cracking time JoeB & bad luck on missing the PB.  It did give me a laugh too, spend a King's ransome on shoes and forgetting to tie them up properly :)  I did once mistakenly take Mrs Wardi's running tights to work for a run after I'd finished, luckily I could just squeeze into them!
    OO.. I could lend you a size 11 if it helps?  ;)  Nice speedy 17 miler at the weekend!
    Good session in amongst 10m TR, soon be taper time.
    LMH.. very encouraging consecutive doubles there, they do seem to work for you come marathon day.
    Charlie.. nice 21 miles in the bank, hope the mini taper for the half goes well.
    Al P.. congrats on the well paced win and prize booty.
    Padams.. you did well to shoehorn all that into the weekend, best of luck in the half.
    Jooligan.. a very decent half there, good confidence booster on the road to Brighton.
    Just under 2 weeks to go for me and got my Barca number via email today.  Legs were a bit tired yesterday so just did an easy 5m in the sun, about 7-8m with the club planned later.
  • Keep it easy and enjoy the acclimatising Wardi.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Wardi - always good to get the focus that a race number brings. I have 3ish weeks of training left, but theres a 1/2 in there, which will lose a few training days.
  • Cheers LMH. Anyone know if the Boston 7s are the same sizing as the 6s?
    Good result Al & interesting selection of prizes.
    More solid training this week TR. You joining me for the post-work 15M tomorrow?
    Sounds like a decent 21 CW.
    2 weeks is taper time Wardi: perfect time for a few lighter days :)
    No running for me yesterday though I did cycle commute 10M each way: freezing fog on the way in but glorious sunshine for the return leg. Did the same again today but about 3 degrees warmer on both legs & no fog: B) were required. Also got out for a short stretch at lunch 4x300 off 100 walk into jog. Legs were surprisingly responsive hitting 3K pace from the start & speeding up nicely throughout. Went up the club this evening for track again. Did 10K wu going twice round the parkrun with a mildly progressive 2nd half then joined the session 5M@7:07 with 8/6/4/2 minute efforts. Paces were 6:24/6:22/6:00/5:50 so reasonable given Sunday's racing.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Jools - steady as she goes, you did a 1/2 Sunday ! Ive been doing 15 or 16 on a monday and a bit shorter on a weds, but ive some long work days thurs and Friday so will only get a short run in each day, so if i can make the time i might be able to squeeze tomorrow up a bit.......although my legs are pretty dead after today's reps. I need 17m over weds and Thurs for 280 and 10m/day average, despite a couple of race weekends in Feb.
  • Good going TR. No need to do 15M tomorrow then, a dozen should be plenty as I'm sure you'll squeeze a 6 in Thursday. No way I'll manage 280 as I still need 50!! Hopefully I can get 23M in over the 2 days to give me 10M/day average for 2019.
  • I've found the Bostons to be consistent size wise Jooligan. There's been a big difference between morning and afternoon temperatures here too. I'm hoping for a MLR today - but mine will be this morning - and somewhat slower than yours I expect.

Nice mileage TR.