Options

Sub 3

Comments

• Options
    Al_PAl_P ✭✭✭
    Jooligan - I second what LMH says re: the Boston sizing, I have a pair of 6's & 7's and they fit pretty much exactly the same. Decent mileage and session yesterday.

CW - Nice LR with mile reps, bet the beer tasted good after that!

Wardi - Cotton wool time then?

TR - Mrs Al_P is on Slimming World at the moment, so the prize red was all mine  :) You seem to be ticking along nicely both session and mileage wise...

9 (very chilly) easy miles around Eastleight & Chandlers Ford first thing yesterday morning and then another 5 out and back along an old railway line in a gloriously sunny New Forest on the way home from work (with some strides). Not feeling wonderful for the afternoon run, but then again I rarely am straight off a day sat in the office + 40 min drive back.

The plan for this morning (post school drop) was around 12-13M with a chunk of steady tempo, between 6-10M depending on how I felt. It was also going to be an extended test of my new Vaporflys ahead of Sunday's 20M race. I felt pretty decent from the word go, ticking off 2 warm up miles in 6:58 & 6:27. Mile 3 onwards I got cracking with the tempo (comfortably hard) and found myself ticking along at sub 6min pace a bit below marathon HR. This I maintained, with a little up-drift in the HR, for the full 10 miles and even popped in a cheeky 5:34 mile to finish. Overall was 58:50 (5:53/M) for the tempo at pretty much bang on av marathon HR. Rather chuffed as that's the first time I've ever nailed a 'proper' Coro10 in training! Rest of the week will be very light & easy singles with a few strides added in on Friday & Saturday ahead of Sunday's race.
  • Options
    Thanks Al & LMH.
    I've gone for a pair of Tempo 9. Anyone tried them. Got them for £63 inc P&P in an 11.5. My 6's are an 11 & I've always found them a little short - especially after racing 10M+. I fancied the 7's but they were £70+P&P & only in an 11 again. Anyone tried the Tempo's?
    That's an impressive 10M tempo. Even allowing a minute for the Vaporfly still a sub 60.
  • Options
    Great running Al.

I have a pair of Tempos as my second shoe Jooligan - they are fine but I don't like them as much as the Boston. I think they are marginally lighter but they feel a tad clumpier to me though nowhere near as bad as the DS Trainers I had before them did. If I knew you were looking for an 11.5 I'd have searched for that.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Jools - i did the 15 after all, so i have you to thank for helping with that, you planted the seed. I hope you did too?

Al - nice one. How fast would you usually do that run? You are obviously comfotable with using the new shoes over a 20m race.

Ever used Adidas shoes.

15 (as above), couple of enforced easy days now anyway due to work.
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Al - Very impressive fast morning run.  
    Cracking mileage TR.  Yes, I just run in Adidas Supernova Boost these days, you can get them for c£50, for slight overpronators, plenty of bounce in them. 
    LMH - Thanks for the concern.  Toe only twice normal size now and no real pain unless being impinged by a shoe, hence cut the running shoes.  Could be a 'magic' marginal gain as just back from a 11m run in the sunset, 3m w/up/wd and alternating 4*1m @ 7mm with 4*1m fast (6.06, 5.58, 5.51. 6.15). A good session and good to have the legs feeling springy again. 
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Do you race in them OO? Very solid MLR/session that.
    LMH tbh I'd forgotten what size my Bostons were & assumed they were a 10.5 as they feel a bit short however I looked & found them to be 11s. The Tempos are actually about 17g heavier which seems odd since they are supposedly somewhere between the Adios & the Boston as far as cushioning goes.
    Well done TR. I guessed as much so knew I'd better get mine done too :) Felt surprisingly fresh legged for the first 9 but then the rough towpath in the descending gloom knocked my legs about from 9.5 to 12.5 so it became something of a mental & physical struggle in the last couple of miles. Guess that session yesterday so soon after Wokey took it out of my legs!
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    OO - nice one, you in good shape.

Jools - well done for getting it done, you have had a tough few days. I was around 15sec per mile quicker than usual maybe as i was running without my run bag. I do my build up races in my mileage munchers (nimbus) as i will run brighton in them. i usually only have one pair of shoes, but had issues when sauconys changed models, so bought some nimbus from the asics outlet locally, they are expensive (70ish) so i keep them for long runs and races, but i guess that they are heavy.
  • Options
    TR The Nimbus 20 is 303g vs 249g for the Boston 7. You'd really notice that lightness in the back half of a marathon when the legs tire. It's one reason the East Africans are so much faster at distance events - they have lighter lower legs so running economy is better.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Jools - im on version 18, they are cheap (and wide), the asics outlet told me to avoid 19 as they are narrow, so will stick with 18 until i can get 20 for 70ish. I have saucony rides for the other runs (with a pair of pegasus next in line).
  • Options
    Interesting Jooligan - thanks - they definitely felt clunkier than my Bostons when I first wore them and I tend to use them for my shorter runs. I did try going lighter than the Bostons but didn't feel my legs would be in a goo way after anything longer than a 10k and I'd rather be able to run the next day than gain a second or two.

Sounds good OuchOuch.
  • Options
    Al_PAl_P ✭✭✭
    TR - Good work bagging the 15M MLR, IMO that kind of run done frequently is a cornerstone of mara training (excellent aerobic conditioning). I've been doing the long tempo runs up to 70mins for the last few weeks. The av pace has been under the 6:10/M mark, but with the av HR generally 5 or so bpm lower. I found on the previous runs that I was starting to edge closer and, on a few occasional/faourable miles, under 6min miles. So yesterday I thought I'd have a crack from the start and see what happened. With an eye on Sunday's 20 I was prepared to cut short, but I generally find with these runs that I tend to start well, have a bit of dip around 2-3 miles and then again at 6-7 miles, but if I can get through to the last 5k I get back on it more comfortably and can speed up... So I did push the boat out a little this week and go for it, possibly feeling upbeat because of the shoes  and the lovely weather maybe? I also had the benefit of a road closure on my usual local loop (~1.6M) which I use that meant there was very little traffic about. So overall things came together nicely. Although I would say that I reckon I could have done the same in my Adidas Bostons, my legs would probably be feeling more battered today if I had (they seem reasonably ok  :))

For the record I've used Adidas for general running (Supernova Boost x2), workouts/tempos (Boston 6 & 7s) and racing (Adios going back 8+ years)

OO - Well done on the session with the still poorly toe!

Jooligan - A well toughed out MLR there, annoying when race fatigue bites you late into a run!

Just an easyish run up the club tonightt for me, preceded by a 6 hour driving round trip for a 2 hour meeting....
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    TR/Jooligan.. good stuff getting those 15milers done, more hay in the barn.
    OO.. good news on the toe, nice session there!
    Speaking of shoes my favourite NB Zante has crept up to £100-£110 lately.  I managed to find a pair of the new Zante Pursuit (lighter than the standard model) for £77 on Amazon which arrived yesterday so I will take those for a blast ASAP. 
    Al P.. great tempo run there, good confidence booster.  How do you intend to tackle the 20m race - is it eyeballs out or sections at MP etc?  Some years back I ran the first 5m of the East Hull 20 with former threader marmite master @ 6.45 pace, he then hurtled off into the distance at circa 6mm for the rest of the race!  His PO10 profile is like the Marie Celeste since 2013/14 so I assume he doesn't run anymore.
    Yes cotton wool time for me, my legs are enjoying the wind down as they did feel a bit cranky after last weekend's efforts.  After 9.5m with the club on Tuesday 5m easy yesterday & similar today.  Intention is to rest Friday then have a blast around Parkrun with a few miles added on this Saturday.

• Options
    Good training all!

TR -- I did have a murmur of niggle again this morning, doing just one hard mile as a tune-up for my half on Sun. Not bad, but I want it to go away completely of course. Will keep monitoring it...

Al -- the brewery trip was just a run-by in the morning I fear, but we were staying at a nearby pub, so yes I got to enjoy some! On the Vaporflys (flies?), do you think they'd suit a forefoot lander like myself? The massive-looking heel puts me off rather.
  • Options

Nice tempo there Al - I've definitely found running easier (though not necessarily faster) with the few days of better weather.

Hope you can stay on top of that niggle Charlie.

Sounds as though you're enjoying the taper Wardi.

My legs would happily have bumbled round another long run today but work stopped play and I only had time for 15. Really hoping the weather doesn't get as bad as forecast over the weekend (though Saturday's run will be short) as it was bad enough getting rained on towards the end of today's run.

• Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Jooligan - Yes for the past 3 years for all training and racing - I like to keep it simple.  Though looking at AlP approach might consider getting a pair of Adios/ Boston for racing.  
  • Options
    Might be the secret to your ability to run so many consecutive marathons though OO? The Bostons have less cushioning so may leave your legs more damaged after a full marathon. The Adios have even less.
    Sounds sensible Wardi, hopefully weather conditions on Saturday allow you to capitalise on the fresher legs at parkrun.
    Only 15 LMH, slacker ;)

• Options
    If I only I could be a full time athlete Jooligan...........I do all my long runs and races in Bostons with no issues but think it might be Adios that I tried and wouldn't risk.
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Jooligan - I think your right.  Happy to trade off some weight & possible time gain for extra cushioning / less impact of a slightly heavier shoe, which probably is zilch over a marathon. So, back to keeping it simple and very reasonably priced. 
  • Options
    Don't we all LMH. I've used a pair of Boston 6s for all my road racing & tarmac parkruns since Jan 17 but trained in some Sonic Boosts I picked up for £30. Bought 3 pairs in the Boxing Day sales 2016 but I'm on the last ones now  & they're on 710M already! Got over 1900M out of the last pair though so should they see me through til June. After destroying my legs over the last 2 days I figured another day's damage was the way to go D Cycled 10M to work but unfortunately the weather front arrived early so I arrived soaked s 
    I then ran 10.4 back - slightly different route which avoids roads for 5K. Worked out nicely & legs felt remarkably OK. Kept the pace easy but managed a little pick up at the end B)
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Al - ive done a 15 (or 16) plus a 2nd mlr since December, so hopefully it will pay off. Hope the 20 goes well Sunday.

Charlie - hopefully you are all systems go for Sunday. Ive had a grumbly hammy this week,  but upped my s and c sessiom at the weekend, so probably why.

LMH - so just the 3(?) Lsr and a 15 so far this week ? Your legs are marathon ready.

Good man jools, you have the sub3 within reach, you just need to execute the last 5 or 6 weeks sensibly.

Away all day from early today, but i did 5m tonight to tick a box, and give me 283 for the month. Last 3 months 344, 330, 283 so all av 10m/day or better. March to go then its time to serve the cake up.
  • Options
    I'll have a couple of shorter days today and tomorrow TR - hopefully set me up for another big week next week though it's tempting to push for more as the forecast is good for this morning and my legs feel remarkably ok. I need to remember that more isn't always better whilst also making hay whilst the sun shines and putting miles in the bank! It's scary how quickly the clock is ticking down.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    LMH - you still have 5 or 6 weeks of decent training ahead though.

5m easy this morning, hopefully I'll get a long run done tomorrow.
  • Options
    Hopefully TR.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    LMH - that would mean time for plenty of training.

Long run earlier,  bit short of time so a 20m P and D progressive 20%/10% rather than a time on feet long run. 5 av 8.01, 5 av 7.48, 5 av 7.30, 5 av 7.02. Headwind in last few miles prevented a sub 7mm av for that section, but it was bloody hard work which is what matters.
  • Options
    It will if I don't get ill/injured/hit by a car................it doesn't snow and go icy etc etc.

Nice long run. Just short for me again today but nice to see a bit of pace back. Unfortunately the forecast for the next few days makes it look unlikely I'll be able to get as many miles in.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Well gritted out TR, hard work speeding up like that over 20m.
    Parkrun had nice conditions if a bit breezy for quick times today, averaged just under 7mm which will be my last blast before marathon day.  Added 4.3m afterwards.
    LMH.. tomorrow looks like a day of two halves up here.  Need to get my 12m done in the morning's calm & dry conditions before the wet & windy stuff arrives in the afternoon.  Hope you get time to get a long run in.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Wardi - is your mara next sunday then?

LMH -  yes forecast isnt the best for the coming week, in terms of wind and rain. I cant flexi when i can run, and the windows for runs are fixed, so ill have to suck it up to get the longer runs done. This could end up being my last full week, so i had best get the key runs done.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Yes next Sunday TR.  As it looks like a rough week weather wise I suppose It's a good week for the taper from a personal outlook.  Forecast in Barca looks spot on ATM.
  • Options
    I think you have a god week to taper but a bad one to acclimatise Wardi. I'm hoping to make the most of that weather window tomorrow - assuming we actually get it.

TR - my flexibility for fitting the runs in is limited too but being further out if it's really carp I'll probably accept a lighter week rather than make it too miserable though I'd really like to continue to build the miles next week.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Wardi - nice, marathon season is upon us then.

LMH - to be fair we can both get all the intended miles in this week if we are prepared to get wet. Today i was limited by time, so had to do a progressive 20 rather than the time on feet 23 or 24 i wanted to do. Hopefully i can do that next weekend  instea as the following weekend is Fleet.