Sub 3

Comments

• TR - have you seen that Yeovil have changed the course this year due to roadworks?

You seem to be recovering well Wardi. I'm still struggling with my calves:-(
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Padams - agreed, dont run if you have the shivers etc

Wardi- yes, 5 weeks.

LMH - wasnt aware, just looked, looks different. The elevation stats mean nothing to me, what do you think? How does it compare to the old course, which was pretty flat.
  • CharlieWCharlieW ✭✭✭
    Nice long run, TR. As for me, I certainly need to change something in my training -- but it's the ploddy mid-week miles I feel let me down, I want to find out how to make those better.

Wardi -- great, glad to see you're leaning towards VLM again! Very nice pacing by your new clubmate. I'll try and get into Brass Monkey again by the way -- I will be MV50.003 on the day...
  • TR - the elevation my Garmin recorded last year is a lot less than that shown on the new route:-(

has anyone other than Charlie (who I've already corresponded with) run both Abingdon and York? If so - which do you think is the fastest course?

Charlie - how about two days on, one day off rather than two days off in a row?
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    That's annoying about the Yeovil course profile, LMH/TR.  Hope it's not a huge increase!

Parkrun for me today.  Turns out I haven't done one for 23 months.  Ah well - I like a lie-in on a Saturday as a rule.  Anyhow, I'd agreed to do parkrun to see if I was anywhere near fit enough to do the BMAF relays in 2 weeks.  Our local parkrun has a challenging profile (1 mile uphill, 1 mile which is mostly flat but on gravel, and then back down the hill to finish), and is generally reckoned to cost something between 30 and 60 seconds as against a flat course.  Scores on the doors 20.38, so I guess I'm in roughly 20-dead shape on the flat.  Not great, but probably worth toeing the line in Sutton Coldfield if the FV35 team really need me.  Oh, and my splits show the course profile quite nicely: 7.30; 6.48; 5.45, 35s.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Ashton Court Joolska? My PB there is 20:25 which is 2 minutes off my parkrun PB so I reckon it's worth at least 60s on a flat course
  • Nice to see you back running fast Joolska. Not a time to be sniffed at - I say give the relays a crack.

Padams - hope the cold doesn’t linger.

Just easy running this week for me, but got a sprint triathlon Monday so wanted to injection some speed into the legs to see how they’re getting on. Ran fulham
    parkrun at tempo pace, which was 17:40. felt quite good actually.

finally got around to doing my London write up, if anyone wants a read;

https://spragginsblog.wordpress.com/2019/05/04/london-marathon-28-04-2019/
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Yes, AC. You are even worse at hills than me with a 2 minute differential, Jooligan!
  • I know it well Joolska.

According to my Garmin trace from last year and the route they have put up the new Yeovil route has over three times the elevation gain but how accurate they are is anyone's guess.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    CW - yes, im interested to see what changes you make.

Jools - another step along the progress path.

LMH - hopefully the course will only be a little slower. I do get the feeling that things keep conspiring against me going sub 3 again. But at least ill be able to blame another 3.0X on the hills this times, ive used cramping and stress/coastal winds as my excuses so far.
  • I don't have any excuses but I would like to give myself the best chance next time I attempt the distance - no point in breaking myself otherwise.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Well lets hope its not too hilly then. At least we get a lap to checkout the route before it gets tough. As long as it starts with a 2 as far as im concerned, will be a pisser if i need to be 2.54 fit to run a 2.59 though.

12m easy peasy for me today.
  • MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

Changing the course is not on really TR, but I guess thats one of the uncontrollables. Training recently has confirmed that In bad weather my head drops like a stone - ive got to hope for an unusually calm day at Edi to be in with a chance of hitting a decent target.

Training is going ok and Im on for my longest weekly average for 6 and18 weeks but the 12 week one is slightly down due to broken toe. With higher mileage comes higher fatigue so may well take a slightly longer taper this time.

Is there anyway you can automatically compare data from two periods of running (ie two campaigns) on strava/garmin/other that anyone knows of?

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Finished the week with 11 miles.  46 for the week, so almost base mileage :)
  • saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    Belated catch-up (work is taking over...)

CW - great effort and write-up. Felt the pain of those last few km's as the cramp threatened. Gutsy finish with the dip on the line. I have enjoyed following your training and emotions as the race drw closer. Oddly, was scoping out the Yorkshire course the other and Googled Garmin Connect results for last year, your 2:38 from 2018 was first hit!

Dan A - Good to see you bounce back from Boston and the medical help that followed with the sub 3 at London. 

CD - Fantastic race in London and glad you are happy. Stunning time and proof that you could still trouble your PB. 

TickTock - Great to enjoy the final few miles knowing the hard work was done. Well done on a solid campaign despite the compromised training. 

CRAB - Hehe always enjoy your posts. Great result in London and more importantly enjoying it so much. 

OO - Brilliant running and result. Super well done on more than continuing the streak. 

Wardi - 4 minutes quicker in London than Barca is a more than decent ROI. Did you peak for Barca or London? I've never run marathons so close together so no idea how that works. 

Bains - Cracking result, enjoyed the detailed report. Super well done. 

ES - Honest report there mate, well done on the result which is still brilliant. I can relate to a lot of your 2019 experience as it sounded almost exactly like my only time running London in 2009, complete with cramps and not feeling great over Tower bridge. Interestingly, I have sort of maxed out my available time doing P&D 55-70 12 week plan (I turn it into a sort of 15 week plan by borrowing some weeks from the longer plan and adding some more miles to certain weeks). One thing I do is a traditional 3 week taper with last long run 3 weeks out. I know this flies in the face of current consensus but helps me get over the fatigue. I'm not doing 100 mpw however and am very much in the fun runner category compared to most here. 

TR - glad to hear the tumble earlier in the week didn't derail things. 24 miles at that training pace should stand you in good stead for Yoevil. Maybe ease it back a bit so you are super fresh?

Padams - hope Mini P and you are getting over your colds. I don't miss all the illness now that my lad is 15. 

LMH - I assume your question re Abo and York means you are weighing up which to enter for an autumn race? Snap. I have good memories about Abo and the family enjoyed the mini break but I have an offer of free accomodation at the Yorkshire race. So, still haven't entered either as yet.

TR/LMH - Annoying about the course change at Yoevil. Hope its nothing too bad that as an impact on your races. 

Mennania - I use Polar Flow now having jumped off the Garmin bandwagon a while back. maybe two tabs in your browser with Connect open in both and then use custom dates to see the data ranges you want? Good luck for the rest of your training for Edinburgh. 

Jools - solid week there and as you say heading back in the right direction. 

Similar to you Jools, but not quite as far in total, I managed 12.5 today bringing up 39 for the week. Having a complete week off post Manchester because of a cold means I'm 3 weeks into rebuilding. Nice and easy getting back into it but feeling all the better for a bit of a rest. Just need to get my act together and make some plans going forwards. 

• sj - I'm not committed to Yeovil as yet, will see how recovery goes. I'm not sure I enjoyed it enough last year to just jog round because I'm going to be there and if the course is slower I'm not sure I want to flog myself to chase a difficult enough to get anyway PB. I have an entry in York and the offer of accommodation (it was the company that persuaded me to enter) but if I'm chasing a PB this year I might need to forgo the pleasure of a mini thread outing and chase the time at Abo if it's quicker. That's my dilemma. Hope work settles down for you soon.

Great to see you building back up Joolska.
  • Dan ADan A ✭✭✭
    Jools - I did that parkrun course on Boxing Day with my 10 year old niece, a keen (25 min) parkrunner; (my brother lives nearby).  She was in tears at the top of that hill!!

TR - is there any tracking for Yeovil.  Will be following keenly.

Pretty close to a PW at parkrun y'day (19:56  :|), so wasn't sure if turning up the Richmond half today was such a good idea.  As it happened, I managed 81:07 on unsurprisingly heavy legs, so pretty pleased with that.  Saw Joe on the course - he gets everywhere that lad.  Time for a break before the NDW 50 in two weeks time!
  • Jools - junior and I did that parkrun some years ago.  Like Dan's niece he would have been around 10 at the time.  He threw up in the finish chute. One of the highlights of his running career.

No Richmond Half for me today, but I did get out on the bike to watch some of it.  Spotted Dan looking not unreasonable.
  • Mennania said:

Is there anyway you can automatically compare data from two periods of running (ie two campaigns) on strava/garmin/other that anyone knows of?

You can do it on Fetch Everyone. With graphs and everything. You can import your Garmin data into first, then let the algorithms do their magic.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Menn - hopefully  you wont be far away from where you originally planned.

SJ - Abo or York, either one will be a good race anyway.

LMH - no need to run Yeovil if you arnt fully up for it,  you could always do the 1/2, if Mark still runs. Im not sure i have any other flat road options, so I'll give it a bash.

Dan - thats a decent 1/2 so soon after vlm. No tracker for Yeovil, its vicar of dibley stuff after all.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Cant believe ive just been checking this, but LMH has pricked my interest.......it looks like VLM and Brighton are similar with LT 600ft ascent, Brightons is noticable as its all in the first 9m. The new Yeovil course is 836 and Yorkshire just over 800. Abo is pancake with 340.

Not sure what it all means, and how much slower yeovil/york is than Abo?

Must get a life and go have a beer....

• MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭
    CC2 - Cheers - Uploading now, looking forward to messing around with the graphs!!

TR - Im 120 miles down on where I might have been, but it is still 50 up on valencia and being back to back gives the comfort of a solid base.

20 with 12 at MP which was massively affected by a blustery wind and garmin not tracking properly but got done in 2.03. Knackered now but no complaints.
  • Padams- I did the usual 3 week P&D taper, although coming down from a peak of 95mpw. I think I made an error or two though during those warm few days we had over the weekend before the race. I certainly don't think I was as fresh as I could have been. The funny thing is that 70mpw doesn't seem like high mileage to me now!

Mennania - 2:03 for 20M in training - blimey!!!

Dan - Amazing to run 81:xx half a week after racing a marathon.

I still haven't put on the trainers since VLM.
  • ES - I've only done 30 mins myself, and that was a slow bimble round parkrun plus very short warm-up yesterday. Recovery is very important, mentally as well as physically. I see lots of runners on Strava doing intervals again already, plus fellow thread contributors out there smashing races. If I did that I'd be injured or burnt out by June! 
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    Menn - Wow, that's a very speedy 20 miler, what are you targeting for Edinburgh?
    Joe - Cracking report as always and good park run. Your best 1& 2 races, same as mine, though I enjoyed both courses for a tad longer.
    Dan - Amazing time, one week out from 2 marathons in 13 days.
    Only run a couple of 4 milers here with the pooch and OO junior. Still just too tired. 
  • MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭
    Im targetting 2.32-2.34. @OuchOuch. I am normally steadfast on a target time at this stage but the inability to go out and run 12 to a steady pace has left me doddering. I will pick one before toeing the line!!

Joe, Just had chance to read your blog. Well gutsed out for a cracking time.

Dan - Impressive stuff. I couldnt run any half so close to a full on mara.

• Glad you had a good day Dan.

Great training Mennania.

Mark has entered and is still keen TR so we'll definitely be there.

I can't imagine not running for a week unless ill or injured!

Sounds as though ditching the ultra was the right thing to do OuchOuch.

A bit of progress here, managed a short, easy run yesterday and legs don't seem to be any worse this morning so hopefully I can get back into it if I keep it short and easy for a few more days.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Presumably you weren’t going full tilt at parkrun Dan given the half was quite a bit packer. That’s an impressive 3 weeks of racing for sure.
    I’m still recovering after doing another marathon last weekend. No running for 5 days but was slower than ever at parkrun Saturday. Went down to Newport to support the marathon yesterday & ended up doing just over 15 miles which felt like at least 2 too many. Great fun though as I knew so many of the runners. The V50 winner ran 2:46 then knocked out a 17:05 5K in the evening having done 2:38 in London!
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Menn - you got started on the cross training pretty quickly though, so maybe you wont miss those lost miles. Shame the wind scuppered your mp run, but as long as you put the effort in.

LMH- good that mark has entered. No pressure from me on you running though. Theres the 1/2 or pom pom waving options if youd rather.

Jools - are you done with maras til the autumn now?

10m easy today.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Probably TR. I’m not ruling anything out yet but certainly not entering anything either. I need to sort out this piriformis as it’s pulling on my back too.