Sub 3

Comments

• CharlieWCharlieW ✭✭✭
    StevieG -- if by plating you mean the hard sole that touches the road, yes I cut that off too. But as Padams says, I'm not reducing the shoe life, because I've cut bits off that will (for me) get no wear anyway. Mine were "only" £115 inc P&P from eBay -- got 2nd hand ones in case I trashed them. Fortunately the previous owner had only noticeably caused some heel wear like selbs, on bits I removed anyway!

I land very noticeably on the outer forefoot edge in my shoes, and trash that and indeed the insole at the corresponding point inside the shoe. I keep all my shoes going a bit longer by rebuilding that area using Shoe Goo, keeping fresher shoes for racing and "retiring" old pairs for commuting.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    That Shoe Goo, what does it do, just seal up a broken bit?

I managed to scrape a right section off mine 4%s about 10miles in. I blame the 12 stage relays at MK, a lot of rough ish paths.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    OO - i only have a mlr saturday and 2m mp next weds left, the rest is all short stuff.

Wow, im not sure what is more crackers £210 for new VF or 115 for old ones. Didnt realise theyll go for so much 2nd hand, defo worth an investment, if i get on ok with the flynits.

SG - yes, keep the VF for smooth tarmac.

Yeovil number came today, no need for a collection on the day (as last yr), or chasing any trains in the car to get it back.
  • I just need to remember to take it on holiday with me TR.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    LMH - Yes, go pack it in yr suitcase now. How are yr legs, are you going to be able to give it a sub 255, or save that til autumn?
  • Right knee is being a pain but I'm seeing the physio again on Thursday and hoping for some magic - I think it's my ongoing knee issue so a bit of tape and a bit of luck might sort it. It's more painful walking at the minute which is good. I think all things being equal I'll probably go for it and hope that I can stick with you when you come past if it all goes wrong, I'd settle for a sub 3 I think. Not entirely sure I'm going to get an autumn marathon in at the minute as I need a minor op that's going to keep me off running for a few weeks so it depends on the timing of that, hopefully I can delay it until after York but then we are going to Florida in November and I won't be very popular if I'm not fit for that.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    LMH - well if you are feeling yr knee then yr calf must be improving. Fair enough re yeovil and the Autumn. Im intending to run pretty defensively as i need to give myself the best chance of getting a sub 3 again, i cant face another 3.0X. Some folks around me at Brighton have gone sub3 since, so hopefully the weather gods will be kind.
  • Just pick me up and take me with you on your way past TR!
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    LMH - we can elastic ourselves together and drag each other along.

4m easy today. Very heavy legged so the taper is doing its thing.

324 for May, would have been well over 350 without this taper. Just short of 1500 for the year, although June will be a low total.
  • I seem to be getting slower as the taper progresses TR - I really don't respond well to reduced mileage.
  • CharlieWCharlieW ✭✭✭
    SG -- the Shoe Goo is like a thick gloopy glue. I use it to actually rebuild some thickness to the sole where I wear it out. I stick some sellotape  along the edge of a shoe and prop up the toe on a book or something so the area to patch will contain the liquid while it sets, rather than having it dribble away. It makes nasty fumes -- best left in the shed while it sets!
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    LMH - thats just yr body saving energy in the taper. Im all 8.XX  except for the mp runs and mile reps.

I keep my shoes going with shoe goo too, as i wear the right shoe heel much too quickly. Shoe goo isnt cheap though.
  • MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭
    I read somewhere that the outer casing on a vf4 isnt designed for impact to reduce weight, so the only area that has been designed for heavy roadcontact is the forefoot( designed for forefoor strikers) thats why there is such quick degregation to the rear of the shoes. Probably total nonsense.

I go to the outlet village and buy new last years pegasus and zoom vomero for under £50 when they start to wear too much. Ive led myself to believe that the shoe cushioning/ performance falls of a cliff after a few hundred miles and I am more likely to get injured if they have too many miles on them. Probably total nonsense.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Menn - agreed, i think they are aimed at mid or fore foot strikers. You might be able to get more miles from your shoes if you rotate them more, but why not stick with what works.

12m inc 4 av 6.32. Legs still feel heavy but thats the taper working. Managed to get out in the warmth for once. Will be a shock if its warm next week, although wind is the enemy.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Good to see the Yeovil taper madness beginning to kick in. Fingers crossed some cunning taping by the physio assists, LMH.

Work has been a bit busy this week, and I was so knackered I cut my recovery run short last night at 3 miles after running into a bush in a daze (!) but after a good night's sleep I made it down to parkrun this morning. 20.19 was a 20 second improvement on 4 weeks ago, although I think I made up most of that on the climb up the hill: it seems that my basic leg speed has all but disappeared...  WAVA creeping towards 75% and once I'm back at 75% on that course I'll be relieved.
  • If you're lacking speed you're obviously gaining strength Joolska, sensible to cut your run short if you were that tired. I hope the physio can work some magic too.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Jools - your speed will improve with more sessions.
  • MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭
    Nice work Joolska
    TR - promising signs, 4 at MP in taper is always difficult and seems your ahead of target.

Im still tired from last sunday so off for my first casual run since last week at some point today
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Menn - im not normally one for doing much mp, but ive had a bit of a push in regular 5 or 6m blocks since Brighton to try to get my legs used to it, esp by running quicker than i need to in the last week. Hope your run shakes your legs out.

LMH - did you do the last mlr today.

6m easy for me. Got a bit of calf doms from hiking round west sussex on thurs and fri. Feels stange to get calf doms as running usually gives me quad doms if anything.

1 week til the B of the Bang.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    So 1 week to go, a lot of things conspired agains me for Brighton, so next week i hopefully run the most routine and uneventful 26m ive ever run.

The plan is to use the first lap to fuel up, drink my luco and size up the new (now referred to as undulating) route, no quicker than 6.40ish, and avoid the bush on the left on the run back to the track (you can guess who told me that), after 3.04 at Brighton id jump all over anything that starts with a 2.
  • Let's hope it's a completely uneventful week TR, followed by a totally mundane and boring 26.2 miles in something less than 3 hours.  Avoiding that bush sounds like a very good plan.

Another weekend, another race, but definitely the last for a while and the last one hanging on the coat tails of the VLM campaign.  The Dorking 10 (mile), which doubles as the county champs and this year was also the BMAF 10 mile champs race.  It's a lumpy course, nothing major but a few upslopes dotted around the course that will kill any thoughts of a PB.  A decent first half, a slight fade on the lumpy bits towards the end to finish in 1:00:27, over the hour but my best time on the course since 2015.  Luckily I hadn't entered as BMAF because I would have finished 5th V50, missing the podium by 5s.  On the plus side none of the four V50s in front of me were Surrey qualified, so I picked up that one.

• Nice racing CD.

Never planned a MLR for today TR. Glad to hear you're feeling in a good place. Where did you see the latest about the route? I'm feeling less and less enthusiastic/optimistic. Wonder if we still have to do the stupid bit round the track at the end? I'm hoping that as they've changed the route they have negated the need for it.

Running for fun for a while Mennania or do you have another race coming up?
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    CD - well raced again, youve had a good spring. Congrats on the county win too.

LMH - oh, i thought youd do an mlr this weekend as per most plans. Ive had no more route info, if you play the map animation from their Twitter feed, it shows two figure of 8 style laps, with a small inner loop near the end (not sure how they will control that bit as to who is on which lsp and inner lap). Hopefully no round the track and back as you say. Dont put any pressure on yourself, its just a nice run round the countryside. 
  • MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭
    CD - Nice work - I need to get upto speed on all these inter run comps there are, had a look at the Masters Marathon stuff but the welsh AA masters is just shockingly crap. Ive tried contacting them and heard nowt back.

Planning on a bit of fun at the moment @Little M.iss Happy but going to bash out the hills which ive avoided for the last 12 weeks. However, there is a local(ish) half at Rhyl on the very morning of my 50th which I cant seem to shake off..
  • I don't follow a plan Tr and don't see anything to be gained by 14-16 miles this close to race day.

That half is made for you Mennania - consider it a birthday present to yourself:-)
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    LmH - oh agreed, i only did 12m yesterday. When do you do your last double digit then?

Menn - sounds like you have a race on your birthday then, before you have your birthday cake/beer.
  • I did ten yesterday TR.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    LMH - ok, good. I expected you to go short yday instead of today. Good to get the last double digit done. Whats yr plan for this week. I'll be all 4 or 5m, and then just 2 friday and Sat.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    CD - A cracking run again, three quality performances in 5 weeks. You've held the London form exceptionally well and congrats on being Surrey V50 champion. Chapeau.
    Menn - That's a decent way to celebrate a notable birthday.  I am 55 in December and running the Malaga marathon as my birthday present, albeit the day before.
    TR/ LMH - Have good weeks now, we are all rooting for you.  If I can throw a marginal gain your way, the common vick inhaler, for the past year I've taken a few snorts, 5 minutes before the off to clear the airways. 
    62m for the week, quite a bit undulating as is this areas want. Need to target a marathon shortly as need a focus and feel somewhat adrift at the moment.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Well done, CD.  Sounds like the speedy coffin dodgers were out en masse!

14 for me early doors ahead of a 7 hour orchestra rehearsal, just to ensure I have tired arms and legs.  49 miles for the week.