Options

Sub 3

Comments

• Options
    saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    Top stuff TR in the 10 miler. I ran 63 minutes last December on a hilly road course so decent effort on the trails. Arguably more impressive adding the miles after to make up the long run. 

Wardi - the pollen is bad near us too at the moment. I had considered my unwellness last week to hayfever as suggested here but it was just a cold. 

Aforementioned cold buggered off eventually (except for a lingering sore throat) but not before a terrible 17 miler long run on Saturday. Felt like the end of a marathon in last few miles. 

Yesterday felt much better and got the miles in to cap off another 60 mile week. A couple more of those before the proper stuff starts again. 

I must admit to having a bit of a motivational wobble over the weekend. So much spare time invested and for diminishing returns. My work is going to increase in intensity over second half of the year too so may well impact on me.
  • Options
    Al_PAl_P ✭✭✭
    Just popping by to say well done to TR on the Forest trails yesterday, was good to have a quick chat before I got chased round the course by 800-odd runners! Was a reasonably speedy front end this year with the top 10 all under the hour and won in 54:0x. I ran the course the night before with my club (the organisers) and did 63:30ish, not great for me, but in my defense it was really warm and sunny plus I'm pretty out of shape at the mo.

Wardi - Good to hear you enjoyed the northern edition of Endure. I did the Southern fairy leg back earlier in June as part of a (semi)competative 5-man team, it was a lot of fun but did me in! 9 laps (45miles) the first 4-5 were reasonable but the last 4 were progressively slower, not helped by very variable weather which turned parts of the course treacherously slippery... For my troubles I bagged 1st small mens team trophy and a pair of crocked legs for a good 3 weeks :o

It's rapidly coming up to 12 weeks to go until the Yorkshire marathon, better start thinking about some proper training again soon!

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Wardi - sounds like hayfever.

SJ - well done on toughing out the 17.

I dont run on anything but pavements and tarmac in training , so my legs groaned a bit at first today, but then felt ok and i ticked off 10m. Time to start training towards Abo now.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Just me at it? 10m this end.
  • Options
    Al_PAl_P ✭✭✭
    10M for me too TR early doors out from Brockenhurst station  around some beautiful bits of Forest trails and back for a quick change into work gear and off to London, great way to start the day (although I felt a but carp due to lack of sleep)
  • Options
    saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    9 and a bit tonight with 10 x 3 minutes off 1 minute jog. Was late out and almost bailed out but glad I got out of the door. 

HR almost back to normal so my cold from end of last week seems to have passed. 

29 July marks 12 weeks until 20 October (Abo/Yorkshire/Amsterdam)
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Nice one Al, top place to be able to train. Yorkshire training now on the go ?

Good session that SJ, i like 3min reps. So its about 15 weeks to Abo now, so that gives me a couple of ramp up weeks with plenty of time to get fitter. Harting trail 10m next race early Aug, followed by IoW 1/2 2 weeks later. Both contain trails and hills so not Abo fitness quantifiable, although ive done them both before and have a 2018 finish time for both to beat.
  • Options
    Ticking over here and trying to decide what to do with myself really. I think I'll keep ticking along as I am until the 29th (thanks sj) and then hope to pick it up a bit.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Options
    Al_PAl_P ✭✭✭
    Might have to give that workout a go myself SJ sounds like a good one for the time of year/my current fitness state (might see if I can persuade some clubmates to have a crack tomorrow evening...).

TR- I want to get Yorkshire training on the go, but I get the feelling it's going to take a few weeks to get up to speed. Just in a bit of 'meah' mood at the mo not helped by the high humidity. Did 12 this morning down to the seafront and back, the start was super sluggish so I inserted a few stridey/farleky pushes to try to gee up my legs, but with limited success. Going to spend the next few weeks nudging my mileage up with a few speed sessions/parkruns and hopefully be back in the game around the 29th....
  • Options
    StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    TR - Top racing at the New Forest. Is there not a danger of overdoing it being back to 20m runs so quickly? Especially with back to back marathon campaigns? You do seem to know what you are doing though

Wardi - Endure sounded a good event! one to ear mark for the future I think

SJ - Good 3 min reps, glad to hear you've got back to it.

Been building back up to full training after Junes month of racing. Got a couple of good sessions in including 8 x 1k on the track at 5k pace. All reps came out at 3.30 which is probably my best ever session. Did 3 x 2k/1k last night as well building towards the 5000m track challenge at the end of July
  • Options
    CharlieWCharlieW ✭✭✭
    Out of the office 4 out of 5 days this week, but here today, so well done on the 10M (and making it a 20M morning) TR!

I ran a steady 50K on Sunday, something I've rarely done in training, in prep for my 100K race in 4.5 weeks now. Work travel intervenes otherwise, but managed to run some miles up and down the seafront in Spain yesterday, and get in a sea swim too (sedate breast stroke I should say). I was there for petrol-head type driver training, which is a bit ironic as I'm known as the office tree hugger, but it was all very interesting to try out. Midlands for the next couple of days...
  • Options
    Al_PAl_P ✭✭✭
    Spotted your Sunday 50k up and down the Busway on Strava CW, very good going! I'd say it's definitely a good idea with something longer coming up. I've got the Salisbury trail 50k in mid August, seeing your run made me think I should get out and do at least one extended time on feet run to prep (plus get some hill work in ideally too)
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    That's a long time on the busway Charlie, congrats on getting it done.  I trust you had a water supply sorted?
    SJ/Stevie.. great sessions in the bag.
    TR.. good to see you building up the miles again, soon be full autumn marathon fever season!
    Al_P.. agree on the humidity, I did a mere 5m recovery run this morning and it was 23 degrees when I finished, took me 20 mins to stop sweating.  BTW did your Endure team of 5 do any double laps?  I've been 'invited' into a team of 5 for next year and this has been suggested for the night runs to allow a few hours sleep for the rest of the team overnight.
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Hi thread.  I've been AWOL as I was ill (cold which really affected my breathing), away (walking in Austria: internet free at 2000m!) and then annoyingly sprained my ankle AGAIN so am just back to run/walking.  And am now FV40.  A real veteran.

I have skimmed back over the last month, but have probably missed a lot.  Fingers crossed I can put illness/injury related sulky absences behind me now!
  • Options
    Hope you had a good birthday Joolska - sorry to hear about the latest setback.

I'm in Derby Charlie - are you close?

Nice session Stevie - I keep the 20 milers up all year.

Close here this morning too Wardi.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Sounds like 29th is a target date for quite a few

Al - im sure you'll soon find the urge for marathon training again. You were correct in there bring some quick folks in NF Sunday.

Stevie - good mix of sessions there. If every 20 was a gruelling as the really hot one 10 days ago then I'd be overdoing it for sure. I did a block of 23 and 24 milers before Yeovil, so 20 now seems quite short. You have a point though so maybe i should skip a couple.

Charlie - good going on the 50k.

Jools - happy birthday, hope youvhave a better year running wise.

10m more here.
  • Options
    saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    My mojo had been off and on recently too Al_P. On the days I've felt like that I've forced myself out the door with the goal of giving it a go for 10 minutes. If I still don't fancy it I can turn round. Off course after 10 minutes I feel fine and carry on.

TR - I've been alternating 16-18 miles every Sunday to keep my hand in as I think I mentioned a few weeks ago. Not quite up to the mental investment of the 2hr30+ runs yet, they are coming though. The midweek 15's make we wince more. I have a couple of fixtures penciled in but will decide nearer the time 

Stevie - good stuff recently with a lot of quality. Keep this going through the summer and Berlin will be special.

Jools - many congrats for another circumnavigation of the sun. Sorry to hear about the illness/ankle sprain. Hope you are one mend now.

CW - also spotted your 50k on Strava, glad to read it's prep for a longer race and not just an extended trading run as is your want :)

LMH - nothing wrong with a bit of consistency prior to a decent build-up. 

10 here tonight in balmy conditions. 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    SJ - i spent an hour(ish) with LMH after Yeovil, and said to her that my running week is totally set up for marathon training now, with the 15+ mlr on a monday evening, long run saturday and reps or mp run on a tues or Thurs morning commute run in. So its easy for me to keep cranking it out. Having said that i have deliberately eased back a little bit since yeovil and the summer hols will get in the way a bit. The couple of trail races i entered provide a bit of low pressure racing as the times dont convert......but i did find myself wondering what my 10m would convert to after sunday.

Bet Selbs is a happy boy tonight.
  • Options
    sj - I find that too, once I get my self out of the door and start running I feel better. I think it's good to have some lower pressure weeks and they are usually dictated by life. Yes, I could have got myself up at 0430hrs Monday and Tuesday to fit some more miles in before my training course but I really didn't need or want to and I know that there will probably be more walking than running next week. I'm hoping this will leave me fresh and ready to put some big miles in.
  • Options
    MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭
    Hi @Little M.iss Happy - Red Wharf Bay is on your doorstep which will give you more than enough options for running - I also think the angleseyu half route takes in benllech and is a loop so you should be able to fit that one in.

'me too' re the running mojo, but I am going to be at end of base training on Sunday. I would imagine my training will get to no more than 60 miles a week with a couple of peaks sneaking me into the high 70s moving forward.

• Options
    It's the opportunity (with having MiL and husband) that will probably limit me Mennania but thanks for the route suggestions. I have an OS map and will look up the route of the half.
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Nice 10m TR, and as StevieWh said, go easy make sure you have rest day or two.
    CW - Sounds good;  for your 100K run what will be the longest training run, asking for a friend?  
    Jools - Your due a slice of luck. 
    SJ - A bit of the same here, once your out and running its fine, its the getting out!
    Just ticking over and aiming to have a 55 mile week this.  Had a fantastic 6 mile run along the South West Coastal path around Portowan between work meetings y'day lunchtime. Glorious, plenty of technical trails and views over coves, beaches and the sea to die for.  
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Menn - Ive done some running on Holy Island ? In Anglesey?

OO - coastal path sounds great. Easy miles only here this week after Sundays blow out, nothing quicker rhan 8mm too.

10m more today. No MP or reps this week due to Sundays 10m, which counts as the weekly session.
  • Options
    I realise I've not posted for ages. I'm in the thick of ultra training now and marathons are things I do as training. Not gone as far as 50k yet, but I have a 40 mile off road race next weekend. 

Jools, sorry to hear of the continued setbacks. Welcome to the over 40s club. Now you too can be a veteran at London. 
  • Options
    selbsselbs ✭✭✭

indeed TR, happy and v surprised i was!  and indian mate decided to go up for 2nd day of the NZ game as thought woudl be tickets around, and he got in, but was not quite so happy about the decision to go in the end, i should have swapped with him.  Likely we will get clobbered by England Sunday, but you never know! i managed to go to a couple of games as well, but this Sunday i will be running up and down Snowdon. 

Only attempting the trail half marathon this year after the marathon spat me out last year.  Under prepared again, no long runs since London marathon, but have ticked over at around 50 miles a week for a month or so.  Did JPM corp challenge last week in my fastsest ever time (19:23 for 5.6km) so short speed seems OK, but running up a mountain is another matter.  Back to marathon training after that as doing Berlin (like StevieWH it seems!) in September, but its going to be hard to fit in the right training with loads of family stuff on in next couple of months.

Top trail 10m that TR, you should go well come Abo.

Wardi - that 24 hour event sounded great.

SJ sounds like you are managing to keep the consistency up which is great.

Hope its onwards and upwards now Joolska

• Options
    Al_PAl_P ✭✭✭
    Wardi - I did a double night lap as part of a team of 8 in 2018 for that very reason, I did the lap of the following runner at around 1am in exchange for him doing my ~5am lap, so we both got a decent rest period (think I got a break to sleep between 2-8am), but that was helped by being in a larger team. This year we just ran 1 lap stints through out as the goal was to maintain fast as possible lap times and go for the win. As a result sleep possibilities were minimal, as the inter-lap rest interval was c. 2h30.  I tried to grab an hour around 3am, but it wasn't much use and my legs felt terrible when I got up to prep for my next course outing. If you're in a more relaxed 5 person team I would definitely recommend double lapping at night to push your rest interval out to a more reasonable length. I created a nice little spreadsheet which we used to plan lap timings and then updated as we went along during the event, let me know if you'd like a copy...

As it happens I got an email from the event organiser this morning saying it's likely that all of the people who have expressed an interest in running 100+ miles as a solo at next year's event are going to get a place. Reading solo places are balloted, but with a bias consideration to those who are aiming to break 100M in 24 hours, bit of a project for 2020 hopefully  ;)

Jools - Hope you can get back to regular training updates on here soon!

OO - SWCP envy! Did a week down there back in May, even attempted (but failed) to retake the fabled Wadebridge-Padstow Camel Trail Strava CR (still hold the CR in the other direction though  :)). Will be back again for a week at the end of August.

Club interval session last night, one workout for everyone from novices to top-end on the outside 3 lanes of our grass track. it was time-based, 3x(4min@10k/2min@5k/1min@mile - all off 1min active recovery), so everyone just started/stopped on the blow of the coach's whistle. Also the club junior section was doing intervals in lanes 1-3, so it was bit like being on a busy 6 lane motorway! I managed to get the pace faster with decreasing interval length, nothing spectacular but fairly solid. 9M in total inc WU/CD. This morning's 12M was highly pedestrian, although pleasent, plodding up the Itchen River Way & back from work.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Selbs - i wont be watching sunday either as I'll be at an u18 county game, will follow on 5live though. Hope you go well sunday.

Al - good one on the session, good that your club has a busy colts section.

Just a minimal box ticking 5m for me today, heavy legged after squats and deadlifts yday.

Completed my fixture entries for rhe rest of the year today, Harting trail 10, IoW 1/2, NF trail 1/2, Solent 1/2, Abo, Gosport 1/2. Exactly the same as last yr, so plenty of target times to beat.
  • Options
    Al_PAl_P ✭✭✭
    Selbs - Good luck with Sunday's mountain racing!

TR - I'll be in for the Solent Half & should be out on course with the family support crew for Mrs Al_P at the NF HM... MIght do Gosport, but it's only 4 weeks after Yorkshire, so I suspect my legs will still be a bit shagged and I'll be taking some down time!
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Al.. thanks for the Endure tips, looks like the team captain has recruited a team of 4 girls and me so the smoking jacket may have to make another appearance. :)  Good luck with the build up to York.
    Jools.. many happy returns for the V40 occasion, sorry to learn of more bad fortune.  Wishing you better running luck from now on.
    Selbs.. hope you go well in the Snowdon Hills.
    CC2.. ooh a 40 mile race, anywhere scenic?
    7.3m run plus 15m on the bike today including a rain soaking in the last mile.  Park Run in the morning for me then the afternoon at a music festival drinking beer.  What could possibly go wrong?
  • Options
    Grimsthorpe Castle. It's called The Grim Reaper!