Options

Sub 3

Comments

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Al - same here, gosport only 4 weeks after Abo, so it might not be ideally timed. Abo takes priority.

Wardi - beer and music festival sounds great

20m for me today.
  • Options
    TickTockTickTock ✭✭✭
    Well done the 20m TR. With 14 weeks to Abo, it now feels like time to focus on marathon training, hence my re-apperance on the thread.
    I have a done a couple of 20 mile runs already so feel in ok shape. Just need to build on it and coax some speed into my ageing legs.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Tick Tock - good man, might just be you and me there this year. Hopefully i wont struggle as much as last year. No Dan this time ?
  • Options
    TickTockTickTock ✭✭✭
    I am sure you will run well this year and I won't be seeing you to the end. Dan does Abingdon  every year so suspect he will be there.

Right time to head out for a few miles so I can watch cricket , tennis and tour.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Tick Tock - maybe dan will pick a number up then.

8m here early doors before settng off to Hants u18 game. Got 5live on for the big game too.
  • Options
    Enjoy Wardi.

Last week ended up being a big one (95 miles) which was unexpected but this week is going to be very light (just 5 miles today) but lots hillier than I’m used to. Not a bad thing to have a good cutback week as all being well I should have time to ramp the mileage up from next week.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    I feel like a total imposter: 6 miles run/walk!  A total of 30 miles run/walk for the week.  Although I was going to make the Bristol Half my main target for the autumn, I think that'll now be a fitness tester if anything (because it's only 2 months away...) and I'll almost certainly do the Valencia Half at the end of October instead.
  • Options
    Don’t Joolska - I may be lucky to make the dizzy heights of 30 miles this week!
  • Options
    CharlieWCharlieW ✭✭✭
    First checkin since last week because of my travels (which I did some running on). And yesterday, I did a second steady 50K.

Wardi -- I've glugged some water from the busway toilet taps, and doused my hair and top to aid cooling a bit.
    OO -- I won't do longer than these 2x 50K as training runs, but then I've never done a good 100K, maybe that's why!

LMH -- I was at the Bruntingthorpe Proving Ground, so not very Derbyish. Back there for most of this week (and this time staying at a hotel with pavement outside, which is a bonus for running).

Jools -- hope the run/walking at least means your ankle is recovering. Happy belated FV40th!

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    LMH - quite right, a light week will do you no harm. I had a light week before NF, due to a rest day and no long run.

Jools - hope you have some better luck running wise.

CW - well done on the 50k. Even if your race is 100k it prob wouldnt be wise to go further than 50k in training, do im sure you'll be fine.

13m easy tonight, need to get mlr monday going again now, i considered tagging on another 2m but my legs had had enough.
  • Options
    saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    Super stuff TR and TickTock on the recent 20 milers. 

I'm more of an imposter than you Jools. Your performances are more than worthy. As a coach once told me, you've been there before, and will get back there again. 

CW - good luck with the 100k.

LMH - easy week for me too, kicking off with a rest day today. Need to let the training soak in.
  • Options
    Ah, not my neck of the woods at all then Charlie and this week I’m on Anglesey.

With the hills (ok, undulations to most of you) and walking and Mark wanting me to run with him yesterday after my run (to show him some routes) it’s not feeling like such a light week currently but no long runs planned.
  • Options
    selbsselbs ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019

CW - good luck for the 100km, that sounds a LONG way to me!  am sure you will do well though.

TR - nice training, i expect you to do v well at Abingdon.

onwards and upwards Joolska!

you're at the 20 milers nice and early as well for Abo TickTock.

Wardi - i'm in the summer mode too heading to Latitude with my son and other friends/family on Thursday for a chillax of music and beers and family stuff, also went to Neil Young and Bob Dylan at Hyde park on Friday.

So my Berlin training has still not really kicked off, and it's only 10.5 weeks to go, so i better really get to it from next week!  will be trying to squeeze in as many long runs as i can into 8 weeks i guess, which includes 2 weeks family holiday, so i am not sure how it will go.

Did Snowdon half on Sunday, with plan of not destroying myself so i could kick on with training this week, however, its hard not to trash the legs regardless in that race unless you decide to walk down hill i guess! So i am left with pretty trashed/like post marathon DOMS and wont be running till later in week i guess, or not at all as at Latitude.

Came 26th out of 700 odd (2:16:02 with nearly 4,000ft of vertical ascent), just a few seconds in front of my mate who is V50+.  He took nearly 10 minutes out of his time from last year, and is going to try for a first road marathon in Amsterdam, i expect he will be able to go sub 3 first off if he gets the longer runs in now.  Got beaten by the top two women, i would overtake quite a lot of people going down the mountain (although a couple of real mountain goats also took me), but going up, i am still very poor and they would power walk past my slow hands on knees walk on the steep bits!!

Enjoyed the race (good weather helps, as still gets cold at the top), and still tempted to go back and try the much harder full marathon at some point which spat me out last year.

Top event, would highly recommend it to those who like trail running.  The marathon this year was also the qualifying event for GB for the world mountain running champs in Argentina, which resulted in times this year in the marathon being ridiculously fast, a heap of quality fell/mountain runners there.  Last year the winner was around 3:50 i think, and only a few under 4 hours, this year there were loads under 4 hours, and the top guys were under the 3:20 mark, similar improvement by the women as well.  no idea how they can do it!

• Options
    PadamsPadams ✭✭✭
    Not checked in for about 1.5 weeks, mainly due to holiday in Cornwall. Had a great time, especially mini-P, and managed nearly 50M of running. Some of it was on the South West Coastal Path too, which counts for extra in my eyes given how tough it was - a particular 3M stretch took me nearly 32 mins and I don't think I could have done it much quicker.

Only skimmed back so just wanted to say well done to TR at the NF10, sounds like a solid result. And belated birthday wishes to Jools.

Since getting back I did parkrun on Saturday, managed a course PB (16:59 on an undulating off-road course, 12 secs outside the course record, so that gives me a target for the rest of the year), and 18.5M on Sunday which felt easy enough (all off-road averaging about 7:15s), considering it was my longest run for a few months.

Still considering the 12 hour race on 31 August, but not ideal timing as we will be moving out of our house into rental around then to get a load of work done on our new house. Will see if I can get a longer long run done this weekend and if that goes OK I may bite the bullet.
  • Options
    CharlieWCharlieW ✭✭✭
    Well done on those tough hills, selbs & Padams both! And on your parkrun Padams.

My legs seem oddly trashed after my 2nd 50K (they weren't too bad after the first), but I've been plodding my commutes anyway as I'm off travelling again for the rest of the week and don't know how much running I'll be able to fit in. At least I'm staying at a hotel with pavement outside this time, that's a good start...
  • Options
    Hello all, I've realised I haven't been in for ages.  A combination of work trips away, nice weather and really just ticking over and doing fun stuff before the prep for New York starts.  

I got my entry in for Tokyo so there won't be much respite after NY before that and VLM come around so I'm in no rush to start the build up.  I've been getting some easy miles in, a couple of quicker runs and the odd extra, like a 50 mile round trip on the bike to do a parkrun at East Grinstead last weekend.  I might try something similar next weekend but I'm having to go further afield these days to find one I haven't done before.  And a coffee stop on the way back I haven't tried before to match...

Nice one at the NF 10, TR.  Looking forward to seeing CW's 100k, I think it might be quite good.
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Sounds a good day out Selbs and 26th is pretty decent.  3.20 is mad for the marathon mind.  My mate ran it on Sunday in 5.10, this year he has run 3 road marathons in 2.54, 2.57 & 2.58.   
    Big congrats on the PB Padams and glad you enjoyed Cornwall, the SWCP is something else.  The big question, did you run the Eden park-run and did you then have free entry to Eden? 
    Thanks for that CW - whats your record in 100Ks? 
    NY & Tokyo, pretty exciting stuff CD. 
    Good going on the 20 mile runs TR & TT.  More the better.
    Btw, anyone else notice SL's 100 mile win and record at Wendover Woods!  Incredible stuff. 
    Entered the Cornish marathon in November, its a toughie so threatens  the run of sub 3's. Ran it 5 times and only once under 3 hours.  It is though scenic, a great run and close to home.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Selbs - i saw yr result, got to be happy with that. Hope you get enough in training in so you can smoke Berlin.

Padams - the holiday running sounds great.

CD - will Tokyo complete the set?

OO - you had best train hard for Cornwall mara then, dont want to spoil the streak.

This week sees the start of Abo specific training, so the Tuesday intervals pain train was rolling today with 10m inc 3x2m (60 sec rest), bit of a shock and nearly sacked it off a couple of times, but i appeased myself with the thought that itll give me a target to beat for next time.
  • Options
    TR - yes, Tokyo will complete the set.  A clubmate and I were sat in a bar in Boston post-race a couple of years ago and he said that now he'd done 3, he fancied doing the rest so I said I'd join him.  Chicago last year, NY this year and Tokyo next year.  Ironically, he's now having trouble getting a Tokyo spot because he was just outside the 2:45 cut-off they have for 'semi-elite' international entry.  There's no broader GFA or anything like that.
  • Options
    PadamsPadams ✭✭✭
    OO - yes, would love to try to do the whole SW coastal path at some point, that would be a fun challenge! I didn't do the Eden parkrun in the end - it was our first morning there and just didn't make sense logistically. We got a pretty good deal by combining tickets with another gardens plus some other voucher codes anyway.

CD - I'd also like to complete the set at some point (just need NY and Tokyo), but not massively keen on NY just for the hanging around in the cold at the start. I'm sure it's a great race once you get going though.

Track session last night - 16x300 with 100 jog recovery, so 4M in total in around 23 mins. With the run there and back, plus warm-up, that came to nearly 12M so a good workout. 6M at lunchtime today easy, legs weren't up for anything else!
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    CD.. I will be interested to see which of the majors you rate most highly.  Many years ago I recall a comparison where it was reported that Chicago 'looked after' the runners better than NY, times might have changed though.
    Selbs.. nice result in the Snowdon half, sounds a toughie.  BTW My next music festival is Cropredy (Oxon) in 3 weeks time.  It is one of the few that let you take your own booze into the arena.  We are glamping this year for the first time so I might be taking the smoking jacket, cummerbund and a bottle of Pimms :)
    TR, Tick Tock.. great to see the autumn marathon long runs kicking off.
    Well done on grinding out another 50k Charlie.
    OO.. yes I saw SL's result, awesome stuff.  I guess the Cornish marathon is a cheap day out compared to your usual jaunts overseas!
    Padams.. sounds like a top holiday, nicely done in the Parkrun too.  When we were in Devon/Cornwall for a family wedding in 2017 I ran the coastal path section from Par to Fowey via Polkerris (& back again) with Mrs Wardi, about 11-12 lumpy miles.  It was quite a warm day so we did stop at Powey for ice cream & lemonade before starting back!
    A mixed day of exercise yesterday..  20m bike ride late afternoon, got changed, ran 2.5m up to the school track, ran a flat out mile race then 2.5m home.  I struggled through a 5m recovery run this morning, my legs felt like jelly. :o
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    CD -  Just come across this Abbott sponsored initiative, so will you be running London 2020 too?  https://www.worldmarathonmajors.com/agwr/rankings/ as normal you've pipped me.  

Padams - Would love to run more of the SWCP too, maybe segment by segment.  Hopefully knock off Falmouth to Plymouth segments in the summer as my older son wants to walk it.

TR - Too right, reckon Cornwall is around 8 minutes slower than London due to the climbs. 
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Wardi - Yes, really good value at £25 and none of the other costs. And with the money saved can run Seville in Feb.  Have you run this one?  Plenty of variety in your training yesterday. 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    CD - nice one, sounds like Tokyo is tough to get into then.

Wardi - festival sounds good.

Padams - good sesson that

OO - sounds like a sub3 in cornwall mara will be a good target then.

13m for me today
  • Options
    OO - yes, I did see that but apparently they're including everyone with a GFA entry as a "Age Group World Championship" GB entry.  But I'll be doing VLM 2020 in any case.  Sorry to have nipped ahead of you by the narrowest of margins.  I dpon't really know how the scores work so I have no idea how many seconds that works out to.  Not many.
  • Options

Nice read through as normal, just in that slight lull before the marathon buzz starts again (not that it really ends for long!)

I remember Martin Yelling attempting to run the SWCP and it spat him out big style - seems very tough, although a more leisurely attempt would be great. My dad and his mate have walked it all, the walking/pub lunch etc style has a lot going for it too :)

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Would take a long time to run SWCP.

5m easy peasy today.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    6m and 4m today.
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Nice one/ two TR - similar here  7 and 4.   In the midst of Adharanand Finns book on he rise of the ultra runners, a good read and sure does tempt you over to the dark dark side. Suspect something like running the SWCP would be on his agenda as he lives in Devon.
    CD - Yeah, I cant fathom it, as some of those above us have run notably slower marathons.  
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Nice doubles TR/OO.. I've had to reduce to singles Thurs/Fri due to tired legs, hopefully fresher for the weekend.
    SC2.. duly noted from the AW mag, I see you are uptown top ranking V45 for 1500m so far this year, well done fella!