Options

Sub 3

Comments

• Options
    sj - London is surprisingly cheap compared to many races - it was the best part of £30 for Brass. Well done on getting out early.

Wardi - I see that VoY is still taking entries. I seem to remember that it sold out early last year, not sure if that's a consequence of the parking fiasco or just that a lot of these previously popular events are now struggling. The Vit extended it's entries and that used to sell out in hours.

Sorry to hear that Mennania - what does your coach advise?

That's a good pace selbs. So windy here today (I'm on the coast in Norfolk) that I haven't been able to run yet, no chance at my weight against gale force 6-7:-(
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Options
    selbsselbs ✭✭✭

LMH - is that the same (VoY) as https://www.runforall.com/events/marathon/yorkshire-marathon/ ? which looks sold out to me.  I had been keeping an eye on that and Amsterdam which were both available earlier in the week as possible back ups as well, but both look sold out to me now.

well i was doing approx 2.7m circles so i had the benefit of the wind alot as well...

• Options
    No selbs VoY is a half.
  • Options
    selbsselbs ✭✭✭

aha, i did see that one when searching, thought you were doing a full, my bad! thanks.
  • Options
    WoolWool ✭✭✭

thanks for the positive strokes chaps. Selbs - I have the same Garmin random number generator that you have. Have had replacements and there's always something wrong with them whether it's elevation, GPS, HRM, whatever. Worst money I ever spent on a gadget. Defo don't get a Fenix, TR!

LMH - waves from Fetchland.

I'll doubtless disappear again but always love reading your stories, keep it up B)

• Options
    Joolska - happy to hear of a safe return for kitty.

TR - I can just imagine you begrudgingly looking at gadgets :) They can become a bit tedious having that info strapped to your arm but I think are a useful tool for training solo. I have a Polar for its HR capabilities as i train quite a bit based on that. I like the minutes sessions as there is no distance involved and I can focus on effort. 

LMH - I too noticed Vale of York hadn't sold out, just as well as I've yet to enter. 

Wardi - thanks for heads up re Mcr entries but I think I'll just focus on London next spring. By time I've forked out for accommodation and trains I'm well into £££. That's before considering the Red Lion :)

Wool - I only did a couple of those BAC sessions and remember  the 20, 4x4, 20 in particular. Tough old session which I overcooked in that the second 20 was hard work. I did enjoy it and liked the fact I covered a decent midweek distance even more. 

Selbs - cracking 7 day total. You should see a decent fitness benefit in a couple of weeks. The 10 fast will similarly reap rewards down the track. 
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    SJ.. a few years ago I worked out how much a VLM weekend (Fri-Mon) had cost - entry, travel, hotel, food, drink etc.  The year after I did the same for the Barca marathon for Fri-Mon.  Even though the Barca flights cost more than the London train fare Barca worked out very slightly cheaper overall.  The problem is that London hotels class VLM as a 'premium' weekend and bump their prices up significantly - they don't do this in Barca (when is it not a premium weekend in London? :) ).  The food & drink was a lot cheaper in Spain too, and because start/finish & expo are all in the same place there is less metro travelling to do.  Quite an eye-opener!
    LMH.. yes I was quite surprised that VOY entries were still open.  I guess some runners were very annoyed at the exit fiasco last year, but at least they have taken it on board and moved the race/car park to a different place.  It doesn't seem to clash with any other major races locally.
    10m yesterday, glad I got it done in the morning as the afternoon turned very windy and wet. 
  • Options
    thats some serious miles Selbs
  • Options
    I'm doing York too selbs.

Fortunately I have a friend who provides accommodation in London which greatly reduces the cost.

Wool as in WW?
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    SJ - agreed re the 3 min reps.  So, a gagdet would be handy for the odd timed run or session, but most of the time pace and HR are irrelevant, i just womble on. Maybe I'll treat myself if Abo goes well.

15m commute tonight.
  • Options
    5 X '1K' last night (the loop is short): 3.46, 3.40, 3.38, 3.38, 3.40. Pretty pleased as even allowing for an extra 30-50m I was comfortably under 4 for each. Tired legs this morning, though!
  • Options
    I don't bother with Hr any more TR and if you're not worried about that you can get a good gadget much cheaper. I like to have the information, I don't always do anything about it during a run but it is interesting feedback.

Sounds as though it's coming together Joolska.
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    LS21 - Great to see you fully back at it, 250 miles and some faster sessions is a great month.
    CD - 84 laps mental, yet tempting and seems to work well for you.
    Padams - Unlucky, as your training had gone so well.  Always so tricky to make that call but could be you nipped any knee problem in the bud, and as you say a great training session. 
    Selbs/ TR - Cracking LR and mileage.
    Good to see you legs are back CW.   
    Just back from hols - surprise surprise Majorca...loved those warm morning 8-10 milers finished off with a swim in the Med.  55 miles for the week and plenty of swimming to bring-up 246 miles for the month.  London tends to be a very cheap marathon for me as stay with friends and tend to fit in client meetings on the long drive to/ from London. 
  • Options
    CharlieWCharlieW ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    selbs -- I think you have a strong case for returning your watch. How frustrating! And I think 10M @ MP is too much for me in training now, so you did well.

Wardi, LMH -- thanks, I would indeed be very interested if you encounter anyone who wants to (officially) transfer their BM entry. Happy to pay something extra to the charity of their choice as well as covering the entry fee if that helps!

I didn't run Weds because of going to a conference, but managed a few miles before and after yesterday, and 5 more this morning. Legs definitely more perky this week, 7:xx/M instead of 8:xx or 9+:xx! But it will only be a 55-60M week. I intend to start doing big weeks starting this weekend.

• Options
    selbsselbs ✭✭✭

Thanks for the message re Abo OO.  Looks like i am likely to make it there one way or another!

CW - i have been corresponding with Garmin (for a long time) about the watch, the latest they have asked me for (after showing them lots of wild tracks), was the current software version (14.10) and the GPS chip version.  Any idea how i get the GPS chip version?

Just easy running for me yest and today, try proper long one tomorrow.

Positive reps Jools.

• Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Selbs.. on my FR230 go into settings, system, about.  The first display you see gives software version, unit ID etc.  Use the scroll down button and that shows the GPS version.
  • Options
    selbsselbs ✭✭✭

Thanks Wardi!  i didnt scroll down in the about screen!!  Although i still dont know which one of the 3 things i see there is the GPS chip version! i'll send them the lot.

• Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Mine is 3.30 if it helps.
  • Options
    Watches - anyone use anything other than Garmin? I do use HR but only for the elevate app attached to strava which gives you allsorts of fancy data, however I only use it for the trends graphs.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    LMH - agreed without HR i could get a simple gadget, but selbs is putting me off now. I guess that the only day times really matter is race day, and then its the event clock that counts.

OO - sounds like a good break.

Backed up last nights 15, with 10 inc my 6m commute tempo this morning. After tomorrows 20something it will have been a big ~36 hours.
  • Options
    saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Menn - I switched from Garmin to Polar a couple of years ago. I have had two M430's. Strap on first one went bad (I never cleaned it). Does everything I need and I prefer the Polar website thing, although look at data on Strava more these days. The new Polar is not as good IMO. I got one but returned it, very cheap feeling and screen was unreadable in low light. Shame. 

TR - these busy consecutive days really do for me. I have had to cram days together a couple of times this campaign, got away with it but far from ideal. Good stuff with the continued miles. 

Jools - nice to get those reps done. 

OO - warm weather running followed by the recovery swim sounded nice. 

10 with 8 at tempo/mara effort. Felt pretty good. Hopefully timing things right again. Have started the club Tuesday sessions in the run up to get some quality in. 

Probably going to need two rooms for London as son will be 16 and no longer a child (most hotels with family rooms). Airbnb apartments for that weekend are crazy expensive. Half tempted to sack it off tbh. The thread meetup would most likely be the highlight. Cant say I'm that fussed running London due to the faff and expense. Probably should have thought about this prior to paying the nice low entry :)

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    SJ - good stuff, you are bringing it to the boil nicely again. I found myself asking myself  "have i ever felt this smoked before" last week. But id done IoW, a couple of 10m tempos as well as all the usial miles. This week I've backed it off very slightly.
  • Options
    TR - the Garmins that Mark and I have had have been great - no need to go high end like selbs for what you want. Useful for race day pacing too (in a 'not faster than' way).

Not quite so warm on my holiday here in North Norfolk this week OuchOuch and definitely no sea swimming:-)

sj - have you looked in to staying somewhere further out but with good transport? Would the 16 year old definitely go with you?

Low mileage for me this week and more hills than my knees like. I'm hoping that another low mileage week next week will give me a shot at a PB at VoY but I can't tell if any pace is coming back running the hills, trails and coastal path. Heading home today so should be able to tell next week.
  • Options
    selbsselbs ✭✭✭
    Early morning post LMH!!!
    totally agree re gadget TR mine was a gift and was hoping more use on snowboarding and hiking trips than it’s been but it is just a gadget. Get something simple like forerunner 25 for £80 it does the job we need and seems accurate to me. I just want my money back or replacement on the expensive one!!  Off for a 3 hour tootle soon...
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    LMH/selbs - agreed, i had a browse last night and a 25 would do the job, although if i want time, distance and pace on the same screen (on race day?) I would need a 35 (or a 235 if you want a better display). A 25 shows pace with calories, not sure wtf i want to know calories for, isnt that for slimmers world ? I'll read up to see if its customisable for elapsed time and current pace on the same screen.

Went out looking to repeat last weeks 24 (3.10), but i was slower today and 23 took me 3.06 so i stopped then, otherwise id have been going for 3.15ish.

82 for the week. 1 more 80+ week, the it eases down for solent 1/2 and taper time.
  • Options
    Seems im the only gadget freak then.  :) I use mine primarily for this data
  • Options
    MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Ive got the 235 but use a strap HRM rather than the one on the watch as it is totally pants. Less than £140 on the internet now and its also my day watch.

TR - Ive never run further than 22 without a bib on. Quality miles
    LMH - looking forward to seeing how you feel on a fresher set of legs at VoY.
    SJ - anymore than 4 at MP is always a tough session - You following P&D or your own plan?

Only two runs for me this week , the session on tuesday and 8 on Thursday with 2at MP and 1 at HMP. Going out for a couple in a bit and then Vyrnwy tomorrow hopefully. Ive had to cut the non quality stuff out to try and give my leg a chance as it was deteriorating.
  • Options
    selbsselbs ✭✭✭
    No idea what all that means Menn!! But if you do and it gives you feedback all good!

nice time on feet again TR, that’s two runs way over what you will do at Abo!!

i did 23.4 (although I will need to remeausure it so maybe 23!) in 2:59ish.  Best LSR so far and 105 miles in 7 days (but 82 for my normal Mon-Sun week as I rest tomorrow).  Plenty to build on now.  Lovely morning for it today.
  • Options
    Charlie's antics must be rubbing off, there's a fair few long runs going on that are a good bit longer than the 20 that used to be standard a few years back.  Good to see.

I haven't had any real trouble with my Garmin (a 645) other than being of dubious accuracy at times, but even then it's consistent and I don't get any massive outliers in terms of pace unless I'm amongst high rise buildings.  I don't use most of the data on it for anything other than mild interest - I was amused this week when it suggested I needed 20 hours recovery after a warm-up run!

It's been a good week so far.  I wasn't sure that mile reps on Tuesday would be up to much after the long run on Sunday, but there was decent improvement over the last set.  On Thursday I had an informal 5k race that a guy in the next office was organizing for charity - he got about 30 of the regular lunchtime runners to stump up a fiver and even got some mates to marshal it.  The course was flat but uneven in places and with a few tight turns but even so I ended up with 18:09, modest by the standards of many here but the quickest 5k I've run this year.  Still only 5th with that, there's a decent group of runners amongst the local office folk!

Which all means that tomorrow's HM will probably go pear-shaped, but we'll see.  Hopefully junior will have a decent 10k as well, he's getting back to something like his best after getting concussed playing rugby back in March.  That made GCSEs a bunch of fun too!
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Menn - nice graphs. A 235 isnt much more than a 35, a 25 doesnt let you set sessions (just looked) so ill get a 235 sometime.......go well tomorrow.

Well done selbs, i saw your 3hr post before i went out, so made sure i did 3hrs too. I actually did 23 2 weeks ago  so thats 3 with 2 more planned.......as againt 5 x 30 in total for Abo in total last yr,  probably why i cramped up so much after 20.