Sub 3

Comments

• saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Menn - Yes P&D but I've messed around with it quite a bit. Trying to stick to: shorter reps tues, midweek long run weds, tempo friday, long run sunday. Everything else easy for 70mpw. Cutback week is 60 miles. Quite simplistic really. A bit like me. 

CD - good luck tomorrow to you and jnr.

LMH - staying outside is doable but I'd also forgotten about ibis which are reasonable if you like sluming it somewhat :)

Selbs - cracking long run and weekly total. Heading in right direction if it felt better.

TR - another solid effort. Interesting CD comments re the longer runs creeping up. My 20s have become 21s since I can add in several lock climbs on the canal if I add the 0.5 extra at 10 miles. Some good effort in the middle of a long run on an otherwise flat route. Well done again today. The strength should be there for the late miles after another solid build-up. I only use average pace for lap (more accurate than instant pace), distance and elapsed time plus HR (I too use HR strap for sessions but find wrist optical sensor on the Polar to be pretty good for everything else). You can pick up M430 for £120 on Amazon if prepared to compare to Garmin.

Just 6 easy this morning. Long sleeves on! Have company on tomorrows long run so that should help time go by.

Vale of York entered. I might even taper for it. 

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Ooh, my last post should have said 5x20 for abo last yr, im not charlie.

SJ - i did a few 23/24s pre Brighton and yeovil, yeovil i had the least cramping dince my comeback, but i was fit and well prepared, and importantly taking it at an easyish pace. Will research the M430 later when im having a beer. I hear you on the long sleeves, i could have done with some and gloves early yday..........i have to say that as well as the 23 and 24s, long sections of mp are probably more important which i never do enough of, which p and d probably get right.
  • On the Garmin front, perhaps they've heard me moan for the last few years -- they've brought the map screen back on the 245 (wasn't there on the 235, had only been on the pricier "multisport" watches since the 105/205/305 which had it, as if runners didn't need to find their way). I make good use of it for following preplotted routes (as a wiggly line) in trail races etc, or for finding my way back to my hotel if I've taken a random route on a business trip run.
  • SJ - ive got a corker of an xl spreadsheet for the P&D programme if you want it - It allows you to alter it by activity etc which might suit what youre doing. Think I got it from someone on the 3.15 thread.

• CW - yes, I was glad to see that feature back as well.  I never need full maps, just something that tells me that I'm heading vaguely back towards where I started.
  • Go well tomorrow Mennania and CD.

Nice miles TR and selbs.

TR - you would be as well off with the 230 if you're not worried about HR. I use it as my everyday watch too. I have three fields and two screens scrolling - elapsed time, distance and average pace on one screen replaced with last mile on the second.

Glad you've got round to entering sj. I've been tapering this week with being on holiday - just 43 miles for me though they have been hillier than I'm used to.

Home this afternoon and side swiped on my way back from the supermarket an hour and a half ago, car was spun round. Not sure of the damage to me or the car yet (I drove it home but the ABS light is on so I think the wheel may have been pushed in and suspension damaged). I have a good bruise on my right shin and an ache in y right quad, hip and shoulder and of course it's upset my ongoing left shoulder/back issue. No sign of whiplash which is good news.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • selbsselbs ✭✭✭
    Sh*t LMH that sucks. Hope you and the car come through not too damaged in the end. Booo what a crappy finish to the holiday.
  • Crikey LMH - sounds grim. Hope you are ok
  • Physically not too bad, a bit stiff and achy and it's upset my ongoing back/shoulder issue but I'm hoping a walk with the dog will ease things off. I'm so shaken/stressed by it though - my first RTC in over 30 years and I'm not relishing the stress of trying to sort it all out.
  • Blimey, LMH, that sounds really scary. I'd get yourself checked over if you haven't done so already just in case there is anything you haven't realised amiss and in case you do end up needing to claim. But most importantly take it easy.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    LMH.. ouch!   Insurance.. I think most of the decent companies try and sort you out with the minmum of fuss when they know you have been through a trauma.  I recently had to claim for a replacement garage door (Mrs Wardi drove into it!) and the process was remarkably stress free.  Getting the car checked and repaired will probably be the biggest nuisance, have you just got the one vehicle?
    In the meantime listen to your body and take whatever time you need to recover.
  • LMH - sorry to read about your accident. Hopefully no harm done but maybe worth getting a once over as Jools said. Being shaken up is only natural especially as it's such a rare thing to happen to most of us, fortunately. Take it very easy. I'm just sorting my insurance for next year and am now tempted to pay a little more for a reputable name rather than simply chose the cheapest option. 

Its seems churlish to mention running but got out early doors for 21 miles in beautiful autumnal sunshine. Gloves on though as temps at 7am were 4 degs!

Hope everyone else has the same weather today and enjoys their runs/races. 

• OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Hope your OK LMH? 
    It was refreshing out there SJ, lovely weather and an enjoyable 11m with 2 running buddies - each doing 20 for their October marathons - which sadly I wont be doing now as GP confirmed my hunch diagnosing a 'classic' hernia, and a bilateral on Friday.  So its a question of waiting for a date for the op.  Thankfully can still run until then, but will take it down a notch and just run easy every other day.  Hopefully all sorted out by the time of the Malaga marathon in December.  So will really enjoy those easy stress feel miles for the time-being. 
    Best wishes for Menn & CD, now into their races.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Hope you are ok LMH. As wardi says the insurance folks will sort the car out, so should be low stress.

OO - oh wow, didnt realise your groin was that bad. Well done for getting it sorted, i wonder if my issue was a hernia, it took so long to heal. Shame about Abo, but bigger picture !

SJ - nice one. So you are doing the same 1/2 as LMH next week ?

10m for me today.

Hope menn went well.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    No need for maps on a gadget for me, but being able to set up BAC type stuff would be good. I'll keep an eye on the November black deals. Dont need it for Abo as 3m every 20min is the reference point.
  • Reporting in - the HM didn't go pear-shaped, it went a lot better than that.  I found myself running alone after less than half a mile, with one guy disappearing off into the distance along with the lead bike, and a group of 3 gradually dropping back behind. 

The course was four laps, with a lot of hairpin turns which wasn't ideal, plus a lot of lapping slower runners, but on the plus side it's traffic free, totally flat and today had no wind to speak of. 

I settled into what felt like a sustainable pace, which turned out to be around the 5:45 mark, and held that right through to finish in 76:11, my best since 2015 so very happy with that.  

To cap it all off junior was waiting at the finish having run 39:06 for the 10k, his first time under 40 minutes.  So he's a bit chuffed as well.  All in all a good morning's work.  

Hope menn is doing OK.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Didnt realise you were racing today CD, well done to you (and junior), best time for 4 years is great going.
  • Just reading back bit, that's not good news from you LMH, sorry to hear about your side swipe.  Hopefully you're OK but even then I'm sure you can do without having to sort it all out. My experience is similar to Wardi - the insurance company will take care of most of the hassle so hopefully true here as well.  Take care.
  • CD - Rowing against time. Chapeau.
  • Well done CD! 

16 plodded here. The fast running on Thursday seems to have made my right hamstring a bit tight, so my cut back week to freshen up for next week's half has come at the right time!
  • CD - strong running. Holding that early pace must have been a good feeling. 

OO - damn. How did the diagnosis go? I only ask as I've been tender in the pubis/lower abdominals. Wondering if there is some abductor inflammation. Really felt it whilst running a week or so ago and had a sneezing fit. No issues when running. 

Jools - good stuff on your long run. Hope hammy settles.

TR - yes same race as LMH and Wardi I think. In two minds whether to have a crack or add some miles pre-post and tempo the race. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Jools - good stuff, nearly up to the full 20.

SJ - i couldnt run more than a few steps when my issue was real sore,  as you say sneezing was a worry..........not sure re the 1/2, ill have an easy few days pre Solent and then a 2m wu, 3m wd. But i struggle to freshen up enough to run well, and a proper taper then needs proper recovery and before you know it you've lost a  lot of training time.......remind me on sun 22nd not to get bent out of shape about a poor build up race performance.
  • Well done CD and CD junior!

Sorry to hear that OuchOuch.

Thanks for the concern guys. Mechanically I'm ok, everything is working and the only issue is the ongoing back/shoulder which is having the occasional spasm and being generally more uncomfortable and less use than usual. I'm not going to waste the NHS or my time getting checked over. Unfortunately insurance company is being a source of stress in as much as there was a lack of communication/different opinion between them and the car hire company so I am currently car less (we do have two but Mark needs his for work). The designated garage is due to contact me tomorrow about collecting the car but it's only after they have assessed it and if they decide it's repairable that they will give me a courtesy car, if it's a right off I'm car less, this is more stress than it might be as FiL is still in hospital in Nottingham and my work starts again next week. I do have a cunning plan involving a cheap banger if it comes down to it but I'm hoping I don't have to use it. Supervisor from the insurance company was most apologetic when he called me back this afternoon and has promised to chase things up in the morning. First world problems though really I know.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Hope it all sorts itself out LMH, glad you're mostly ok anyway.
    CD.. that's a fabulous run particularly your best in 4 years in increasing age/vet mode.  Nice sub 40 from junior too, nice to see the young'uns coming on a bit.  The 15 year old son of our chums has an 18.06 parkrun to his name which bodes well for the future.
    SJ.. if my legs are up to it I might bimble an extra 5m after the VOY, one of my clubmates is up for it.  The new start/car park etc is in the middle of nowhere TBH so I don't anticipate much crowd support!  Nice early long run that BTW.
    Jools.. solid 16m there, doesn't seem that long ago you were happy to be just into double figures.
    OO.. shame about the diagnosis.  My club chairman and drinking friend had a hernia op last year, I'll ask him how long he was inactive for.
    TR.. another good week in the bank, beerio later?
    Set off today to do 17-18m but miscalculated the route (schoolboy error!) and ended up with 19.5m.  Lovely day for it though so didn't mind really.  Felt a bit light headed towards the end but I reckon a curry & a beer or two should sort me out.  Took me up to 74m for the week which is the most I've done in recent years.

• Hi guys,

Nice work CD - getting back at it nicely.
    OO - ouch
    LMH - hope it sorts itself out

1.15.24 for me which is a couple of minutes down from earlier in the year -  just couldnt get the legs turning over any quicker. Positives are I held the pace well with a decent negative split and no one got past me after mile 1.  https://www.strava.com/activities/2690945921

San Sebastian next and might look for another half in 4 -6 weeks to give the training chance to work its magic.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    LMH - good that you are ok.

Wardi - nice one. Enjoy the curry and beer. I'll have a couple of Proper Jobs later.

Menn - nice one esp as you've either been benched or smashing it. Gives your coach some feedback too.
  • CartmanCartman ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Hey Folks, been away from here for ages. Have been stalking on and off occasionally, but wanted to hold off posting until I'd got sub 3 to avoid Crab continually pointing me at the existence of the 3:15 fred ;)

So.... I Just finished the Charles River marathon today in 2:57:55 :smile:  Pretty pleased with the result. It's one of those races that is setup specifically for runners to get a last minute Boston Qualifying time at. I'd already qualified from Boston this year, but gave this a go to get below 3. The course is virtually totally flat and largely consisted of 10 identical 2.6 mile loops. TBH I thought this would be a total nightmare and unbearable, but it somehow it made things seem more manageable. Laps just the right length to get the balance right. One cool thing they did was to show you your predicted finish time at the start of each lap on a big telly. They didn't have any mile markers though as I'm assuming on a 10 lap course it would have been a total 'mare, and anyway who needs them these days ?

I set out at a pace I just felt reasonably comfy with, which turned out to be about 6:40 min/miles, according to my garmin. After 6 or 7 miles I checked the HR and it was very low for me (153). This started giving me ideas above my abilities tbh as I'd normally run a marathon around 160HR. I could see the 2:57 pace group (who as it turns out went out way to fast) about 40 odd seconds up the road and decided it would be a great idea to catch them to provide cover in the exposed windy sections (this is a problem with a lappy and exposed riverside course). This turned out to be pretty easy (was in the first 1/2 of the race of course), and my predicated finish time at start of 7th lap was 2:56. So then I thought, well this is pretty comfy, so I strolled off the front of the pace group with a couple of other fellas. This of course was a stupid idea. Also to confound my stupid idea, the temp also started picking up. September in Boston is nice and cool in the mornings, but can still hit 25c at midday. Today was no different, it started around 15c at the race start and finished around 22c at 10am.

Anyway the stupidity my over optimistic 2nd half pacing became very apparent in the last two laps, of course. My pace started to slow to sub 3 pace and for the last lap was probably closer to 7:10 and the wheels where wobbling a f'ing lot !!! It was obviously not a pleasant experience and the grass verge was looking particularly comfy to lie down on :) Also, particularly in the last 1/2 mile when I also couldn't for the life of me stop my self veering to the right. Not only did I veer off the pavement onto the road twice but I nearly hit the frigging gantry at the finish ! Anyone else ever had that happen (loosing balance, not hitting the finish line gantry ;) ) ?

Anyway, its a sub 3 and a PB ! And 14 years since I last ran sub 3, at luton. Next marathon will probably be Boston again, but am gonna take a few weeks off focused running training and work on increasing my waistline, the trousers are well below threshold on that measurement right now ;)

Chris
  • Well done Cartman - the veering off course could have been a combination of fatigue and maybe a lack of core strength?

Nice miles Wardi. Hope you enjoyed the beer and curry.

I'm glad you can see the positives Mennania - no problems from your on/off niggle I take it?
  • Jock ItchJock Itch ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Nice run there CD, still rolling back the years :) what with all my fibro aches and pains I'd be happy with just one mile that starts with a 5. Lovely sub3 from Cartman.

I didn't do New Forest Half in the end. Last week I had a bad flare up #fibro and also mentally my head wasn't in the game. Thought best to rest with a weekend of no running and go again this week.  Will try a long run tomorrow and then will decide whether to shelve Abingdon.  So watch this space Selbs.
  • Hi Cartman - great run + 1 for the core strength
    LMH - the niggle is getting worse -  I have to get it sorted and if that means down time so be it. Onward and upward as they say.