Sub 3

Comments

• Sorry to hear that Mennania but it seems as though you have the right attitude.

Jock - it can be very frustrating when these chronic conditions stop us doing what we'd like, hope you can find a way forward.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • selbsselbs ✭✭✭

Cripes CD - awesome run!! Gives me hope i can roll back to 2015/2016 marathon times myself, although you are diff class!

Menn - that's still a fine 1/2, but hope you can sort the issues out so you can kick on to your obvious potential.

JI - hope you can maange the condition and make Abo.  I have got 2 offers at present luckily (as i am only 56th on waiting list!), trying to finalise the first one, so would much rather see the likes of you and OO getting better and toing the line if at all possible, but thanks for thinking of me.

OO, as above, sorry about the hernia, hope you get it sorted asap. and thanks v much for the offer of your place, I should know i hope today if I already have it sorted.

Cartman - another rolling back the years, amazing to get a pb and even more amazing the gap of 14 years between sub 3's!!

LMH - good luck sorting out replacement vehicle and with the insurance company.

Wardi - nice impromtu longer LSR and big weekly mileage.

So, fully resigned to not running Berlin (just need to srot out egetting back various bits of lost dosh), and committed to Abo now, which i'm seeing as positive with the extra time to really get fit and have a crack to get back closer to where i used to be.  This weeks plan, lots more miles again, with 3 main runs, will try (as they seem the fashion) 15 x 3min reps, off 1 min jog on the treadmill later today.  Then the usual MLR Weds, and the LSR Saturday and aim for another 80+ mile week.  That on repeat largely with minor tweaks for 3 weeks, then start assessing where i'm at.  i do have a left knee niggle (from when I fell on the canal a whle back i think) which i am having to keep an eye on, and my usual back issues, but largely feel i have a good base now.

• LMH - that all sounds like a bit of a mare but at least you are physically OK. Hope you get it all sorted soon.

Cartman - great run, did what it says on the tin. I probably ran on that course when I was in Boston for the JPM Challenge last year, nice place to run.

JI
    - sorry to hear about the flare up, hope you're back on it soon.

CD - that's fantastic, you must be well up the rankings for your AG with that.

Mennania - a solid run even if it was not quite as fast as you'd hoped. The negative split is promising too - maybe you're more in marathon shape than HM at the moment.

I dusted off the bike last week - nice to get out on it for the first time since 2017 (when I crashed during Ride London). 50 mins on Wednesday evening and 75 mins yesterday, averaged 20mph yesterday - felt quite strong but my back was getting a bit sore, which I guess isn't surprising. Other than that, just a few short runs as my knee is still niggling a bit.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Menn - hope you heal up soon.

Jock - shame you missed NF, i skipped it too.

Selbs - how did those reps go ? They are on my early morning menu.

Padams - i was only looking at my dusty bikes yday.

10m home tonight, copped a soaking and ended up pretty cold, so wasnt in my happy place.
  • saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    LMH - how are you feeling? Still racing sunday? 

Wardi - I'm aiming to up at the crack of dawn and over the M62 to get a few miles in as warm up. A few post race sounds good too. I'll do my best to find you this time. I was looking too long at some blokes in your club vest last year, if you know what I mean. That sounds weird haha.

Cartman - congrats on the sub3. Enjoyed the report especially reading how much you dug in at the end. 

Menn - great run given you are not 100%. 

JI - hoping the flare up has settled a little. 

Selbs - annoying re Berlin but you will have good company at Abo. Hope your consistent plan plays out without too much aggro from the knee/back issues.

Padams - hope the knee settles down. Did that issue arise due to the relay race you recently did? Sorry I missed it if you already said. 

TR - sounded a miserable 10 yesterday but lots of mental points to take from that kind of run. How will you approach solent half? Taper and recover in order to have a good crack? I only ask as I'm unsure about sunday.

7 easy last night. Legs felt good since I took sundays long run quite easy too. Slight abdominal twinge still bothering me. Not enough to hinder me but just feel it now and again. 
  • selbsselbs ✭✭✭

hope that ab twinge amounts to little or nothing SJ as your training is going well.  which marathon are you doing this autumn?

nice work on the bike Padams, my one is still in the shed from 2 years ago when i crashed, i really should get it fixed as it woudl be handy now and again, esp now my youngster is biking a bit.

TR, well done on the cold wet 10 - it shoudln't be happening this time of year!  I heard on radio today that it is long range forecast to be the coldest winter in 30 years!  given the winter a couple ago, that coudl be interesting, although we all knwo what these long range forecasts are like...  I got the 15 x 3 reps done, but it always feels a bit of a cop out doing it on the treadmill and not sure if much can be read into the paces.  The promising thing was i was able to increase the pace for 2nd half of the reps as i found 17km wasn't pushing me enough, so last 3 were 17.5km, then 18 and 18.  I know i couldn'tm do that outside though, so as i say, not sure much can be read into it, but a good session ticked off.

Still waiting on confirmation i have an Abingdon place, hopefully i will know today (OO).  just trying to sort out refund for hotel accomodation in berlin, don't want to have to get insurance company involved if i can help it.

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    CM - well done, beats my 4 yrs !

SJ - usually week until weds then I'll ease back a bit. Last yr i did mlr mon, long BAC tues and did 1.25.1x but it was a dieselled effort tired. I had a much easier week pre Fleet n March and did 1.25.4x after doing 1.24.1x in a howling gale at worthing in Feb, so its impossible to predict. More of a taper means racing faster but more recovery. Id like to run quicker at solent but not as much as id like to run quicker at Abo, so similar to last yr, and hope to be a tad quicker.

Selbs - good man, i told myself youd have got the reps done so i had best get mine done. No thsnks to a cold winter, i only reminded myself today that there were times in the winter when i wanted to do 3min reps but couldnt due to ice.

12m inc 20 (yes Twenty)×3min/30 sec. Crab said to keep a lid on it aerobically which i did, but my legs were a bit boozed up in the last few reps. 24 next week!
  • selbsselbs ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    crikey, thats a lot of reps.  what's the actual idea behind them in terms of marathon training impact - as opposed to say going out twice a week and doing a decent tempo, maybe one a bit faster, 40-45 mins, and the other the standard MLR with 10 miles MP?  I never really do the reps, and have always thought of them helping out more for shorter distances.  Short recoveries there too compared to my 60 sec jogs!
  • Wow, that's a decent chunk of quality, TR!

Just 5M easy yesterday and today as the right hammy was very tight yesterday and still a little tight today.  Just had a sports massage and verdict is nothing in particular wrong, just a bit overworked, so fingers crossed it will keep improving through the week and I can still do the Bristol Half on Sunday.
  • 60 min jog recoveries, Selbs? ;)
  • Good news Joolska.

You are hitting it hard TR.

I'll be there sj - fortunately P is giving me a lift (which is why I can't join in any miles after). I feel pretty shite to be honest, it's been such a bad year that my stress tolerance is very low. Physically everything is more or less ok though despite an easier week last week and practically nothing so far this (23 miles so far) I have no pace. I'm hoping having a number on will work some magic. If I have a bad run on Sunday I'm not sure I can motivate myself to continue training for another bad result at York.
  • selbsselbs ✭✭✭

Hopefully the pinned on number works it's magic LMH!

Good spot Joolska, that would make for a particularly long run!! edited..

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Chin up LMH, agreed not the best year for you outside of being an athlete but a run is always a decent de-stress treatment.  A bit less mileage for you this week will serve as a taper of sorts.  Plus the weather is looking promising after last year's gale fest!  My BM place is confirmed BTW, LS21 is on the start list too.
    SJ.. I trust it will be the Sale vest I look out for?  Out of my club at your pace or in front I would guess Ryan will be 1:20 ish, Duncan (blonde lad) 1:22 and Andy 1:23.  Charlotte who often trains with our club (City of York club) should be 1:21 ish (2:59 at VLM this year).  Hope to see you there.
    TR.. good reps!  P&D start advising a bit of VO2 stuff closer to race day so there is much sense in what you are doing.  Agreed on Monday's weather, thoroughly grey & miserable after that cracking day on Sunday.
    Cartman.. cracking effort there, sub 3's in Luton and Charles River is quite some globetrotting!
    Selbs.. I find reps/tempo 'easier' on the treadie as I just set the required pace and don't have to keep looking at the watch.  Kudos for getting them done.
    Padams.. hope your knee niggle settles down, looks like some decent cycling weather coming up.
    Club run tonight, will add a bit on to take it up to circa 10m.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Selbs - its a Brett Sutton IM session really, so practice running on tired legs. Its way easier than a BAC session or 10 mp aerobically. Im up for a few changes each campaign now so we'll see how Abo goes. The early miles of that commute (9m if i add no extras) are very hilly so 3min reps fit well as i have no pace pressure, i wouldnt be able to get 10 at mp in on flat enough ground, although maybe i should just suck up rhe hills and do 10m hard and just compare apples with apples......it is supposed to be 60sec jog, but that would have added more time, or less of a w/d i guess.

LMH - as above to Selbs, it was more of a leg breaker than anything, but i guess thats the point.  With yr taper you will be fine sunday, as long as you are prepared to push hard you could run a confidence boosting 1/2, and get a decent pb. Worth a bit of digging deep for sure.
  • ((LMH)): you've had a rough ride recently, so I'd say do what works for you.  Race if you want to, but equally, put your feet up on the sofa if you want to (or whatever you'd rather do if you're not running!).  I tend to run badly when I've got a lot of other stuff on my plate, but for some people it's a great distraction (I suspect the 3 week trial I start on Monday will see me a bit distracted on Sunday, but work stress is a bit easier to compartmentalise than life stress hence it's worth toeing the line)
  • Wardi - it's not been a good year running wise either so far.

If I run a confidence boosting HM there won't be any question about continuing to push things for York TR.
  • Just go out and give it your best bash @Little M.iss Happy and see what the day returns. 
    Selbs - 1% hills is supposed to = outdoor running. Shame about Berlin but the extra weeks should make Abo nice and racey..
    TR - What pace are you running those reps at? Sounds like a proper handful 
  • Wardi - yes Sale vest (might buy a new one tonight and retire the 14 year old one :) ) good news about the weather. I was swearing quite a lot in the last couple of miles last year - proof that my assertion of getting good weather isn't always true. 

LMH - what jools said basically. Whatever works for you is the correct decision. 

Selbs - good mental beans earned doing that session on the treadmill. I still do the traditional tempo at mara effort but like to add the shorter stuff the closer to target race day to get some speed into my legs. I cant do it throughout a block though as I tend to get too many twinges. Probably my limiting factor actually in getting much quicker. 

Jools - hope the massage eases what's left of the twinge. Any interim targets for the weekend?

TR - Fit. That's some decent repping as well. 

I treat the 3 minute reps as an easy way of doing 800s. Since I average around 6min/mile or quicker for these efforts I ran roughly 0.5 mile each rep so a defecto 800 session. At that pace I'm only doing 8 off 60 secs usually. It's basically because its solo and not measured so minutes is easier. I do a lot of solo effort sessions based on minutes now. It's just easy to look at watch towards the end of effort and see how much more pain I have to endure. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    LMH - go for it Sunday then.

Menn - dont know. Quicker than mp for sure. On the flat im doing 2x3min and 2x30sec jog in a bit quicker then 7min. I only do a few metres real slow in the 30sec, so maybe hmp ? Slower than 6mm aa i actually get some distance done in the 30sec.

SJ - agreed, mine is supposed to be 800s, but the 3min is a good alternative with no pace pressure. I ilke the BAC sessions for the same reasons as you say timewise. I count down race dsy miles in approx minutes to go too.
    Stubbington 10k in jan and worthing 1/2 in feb entered. Chichester 10k and fleet 1/2 open soon, and then thats me all signed up all the way to Brighton/vlm. Need to find a yeovil alternative for May/june.
  • Joolska - that's mostly thinking about running then  - or baking  :) I don't think I'd have got this far through this year without my running. An outing on Sunday will be a good distraction as long as FiL doesn't scupper it with another upset - he's still in the QMC which is adding to my stress of not having a car.

Mennania - if I pin a number on it will get all I've got. My training pace is 30 secs+ a mile slower than this time last year though. Could be stress, could just be age.

sj - I had totally forgotten that headwind at the end last year. I had this lovely sunny, nice weather day in my head and 'breezy' in my training diary. LOL.
  • LMH - turn the brain off on Sunday (difficult I know) and just focus on running hard.

TR - that's some session! I guess with the short recoveries it is more like a long tempo, with the breaks just making it mentally a bit easier.

selbs - also a good session. I find a treadmill is easier than outside at fast paces, but harder at slow paces. Not sure why but that's my experience - during the warm-up I'm always wondering why 8m/m feels quite hard, but then efforts feel relatively easier.

600m road reps for me last night - stopped after 8 (rather than the 12 that most of the group did) as I didn't want to push it. Knee was absolutely fine during the efforts but sore on the jogging/walking. I've had exactly this before when training for Barcelona (2010 maybe?) - I backed off the training quite a lot and it didn't go away, got to race day and it was really sore on the start line, but by the end of the race it had gone away and it was fine after that!
  • I shall do my best Padams. Sounds as though you may need to beat your knee into submission  :)
  • TR - its a tough session that, Id find it hard to keep the concentration up on the recoveries

Just got off the phone from a physio - here is what I was told;

If youre struggling with any lower limb injury increase your cadence by 10%, apparently reduces the stress on your legs massively.
    Increasing your knee lift increases the stress on limbs (I have been actively pursuing this during quality sessions and also during races when tired) It also reduces your cadence, see above.
    Compression is not necessarily recommended for nerve issues as some believe it may further restrict free movement

• LMH - ouch with the crash! Not pleasant! Hopefully things pick up for you on all fronts asap! I can empathise with the rough year - we've had a bit of a torrid time of things (wedding aside obviously :) ) and it's a long time since I've been this unfit as a result, but things always improve in time so stick with it.

Cartman - nicely done and congrats on the pb!

Jools - good to see things continuing to improve for you!

TR - big volume structured fartlek!

Healing vibes to those struggling, and good luck to those with impending races. Not much to report here. Life, as it has tended to, got a bit in the way, so my first week ended up as 42m (4 days of running), and last week as 17m (3 days of running), though with a good chunk of walking around the Lakes over the weekend. On the plus side, despite my weight not starting to drop yet, my pace at an easy HR (max 70% HRR) has already dropped from 8:15/mile to 7:48/mile (on my 'long' run yesterday - 70mins; will look to add 10mins per week to that), so progress of a sort.
  • Definitely progress TippTop - hope things pick up for you and yours too.

I can't really see how compression would help a nerve injury at all Mennania. The cadence thing makes sense but I hadn't heard/thought about that with the knee lift - I always feel I have a bit more of an 'ultra shuffle'.

Just to illustrate how pants my running is currently this morning's four miles came in at an average pace that I would have considered slow for a long run last year. Hey ho, you can only work with what you've got eh? In other news car is being assessed as I type. It being repairable would be less faff so fingers crossed.
  • selbsselbs ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019

Padams - sounds promising re the knee really.

Menn - that all sounds fairly logical from the fizz to me.  I used to get a LOT more lower limb injuries prior to incresing my cadence from a lowly approx 150 to the more normal 180.

TT - sounds like progress, i'm sure once you get a solid month behind you you will start to see big improvements back towards where you used to be.

LMH - hope they can repair the car!

Well, my Abingdon place is official now so all going well i'll be there for a thread meet up.  Dissappointing still about Berlin but now i'm fully focused on Abingdon.  And with that in mind, i set out on tired legs for the dreaded MLR!  Much better than last week, i suspect i was a bit under the weather then actually, this week the 10 effort average 6:20's and HR average for them was just a tad above normal marathon HR (although the effort felt more like 1/2 marathon).  Managed instead of blowing up like last week, to make the 10th mile my fastest duckign under 6m/m.  So heading right direction. 13.4 in total at a bit under 1hour 30mins. brings up nearly 45 miles for mon-weds including 2 "sessions" so just easy to v easy jogs until LSR saturday now, and i will cut the LSR to 21-22 this week.

edit - i should note that last fastest mile was net downhill and downwind mind u!

• Good news selbs.

Not so good about my car - the garage has called to say that the estimate is 63% of the value of the car so they can't make the decision to repair it (has to be 59% or less) but also can't say that it's definitely going to be written off as it's so close to the threshold, so they have to get a second opinion from a third party which may come back this afternoon or could be tomorrow.
  • LMH - Not the best of news - hopefully they will pull their finger out and get it sorted for you.  I think 4 miles is possibly the worst distance a long distance runner can do as it sits squarely in the junk miles camp unless you run them as recovery. I would roundly ignore it.
    Selbs - what time you targetting?Thats a pretty rapid session there.
    TT - miving forward nicely.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    LMH - im with menn, easy run pace is irrelevant in the taper. Find SJ Sunday, attach yr elastic to him and go for it. You can get a big PB sunday.

Padams - sounds like you need to run a mara then. Take OOs Abo number on?

Menn - agreed, you can't have a day dream with 30sec rest.

TT - good to see some improvement.

Selbs - see you at Abo then, good news. Good improvement on the tempo pace too, hopefully missing Berlin turns out to lead to a good mara at Abo.

6m easy for me. Legs were creaking at first.
  • It's a standard taper run for me the week before a race. I run it to feel as usual.

sj - what time are you aiming for?