Sub 3

Comments

• LMH: yes, he doesn't like wearing it and does his best to 'break' the quick release catch on his collar, but I'm not going through 60 hours of not knowing where he is again, thank you very much!  Although knowing that he's regularly crossing busy roads isn't great for peace of mind, either...

Sorry to hear about Grace.  I hope she pulls through.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    LMH - cos you set yr pb last yr, would have beaten it with better weather in Jan, and have been tapering for Sunday. I reckon ill be 4 or 5 min outside my pb next week......hope Grace is ok soon.

Selbs - 15 gives me 2hrs, so i try to kerp the odd 15 or more in there midweek. I did quite a few pre Brighton but mara training is getting a bit old now for the year.

CW - i like the plan of alternating long long runs with more standard distance long runs, esp if you move the quality to the std and make the long ones all easy. Maybe 2 long run weekends and then the 3rd quality run, so its not too often. Might try that pre Brighton, and make the quality mp work, and do 23ish easy as the longer runs.

5m easy today, tired and heavy legged.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Oooh beers.......i have favourite dark beers, light beers, golden beers, hoppy beers, IPAs, stronger lagers, grazing lagers......
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    24 in 3.10. 82 for the week. Last 80+ week done. 1/2 mara next weekend, and then it'll be taper time. Happy days.
  • selbsselbs ✭✭✭
    Nice work TR you have banged out a lot of 3 hour and more runs can’t see u cramping up at Abo this year.

Oh dear LMH it’s a bad run you are having hope you get a good run out tomorrow if you can still make it.

poker night till midnight last night and had a mixture of zero, low alcohol and a few normal beers (they were still the winners!!) had one 2.8% beer called striding edge an ipa style it was ok though.  Lost poker though!

anyway after 5:30 wake up from son didn’t expect a great LSR, but had my best HR to pace long run for a long time. 22 and a bit miles done in 2:43 and a bit with average HR at 128 so about 22bpm below normal marathon average.  So heading right way still. Gorgeous morning for running in London. In the park now watching son play football. Doing 2km fun run with him tomorrow morning.  Another 80+ week for me too TR, but I will do 2 more before taper.
  • Jeez LMH - youre in the middle of it arent you. Go well tomorrow.

Nice going from TR and Selbs - moving forward niceley.

Nowt here - recovery has plateaued as Its now settled into a mildly irritated state but no progression for a couple of days -  Might get out tomorrow, might not.
  • It's very much looking as though this is going to be our last weekend with Grace. It's like nursing an elderly person, she's mostly sleeping in between enjoying meals of rice and chicken and scrambled egg, though she has asked for a couple of very slow, short walks today. Current plan is to carry on as we are and take further advice from the vet tomorrow afternoon but we think the outcome is going to be a visit from the vet to do the deed some time on Monday.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Good stuff selbs, youve vome on nicely in a fee weeks since you struggled on a long run. Shows what a bit of application and consistency can do. Yes, ive plenty of 3 hr runs, lack long blocks of mp though which would help with cramp too.

Menn - hope it heals up soon.

Tough times LMH, forget the race, there'll be more.
  • Gosh that's heart wrenching LMH. Sounds like Grace has enjoyed a wonderful home. 

TR - Solid miles again. I reckon you've bagged some serious long runs this campaign which will come in very handy on Oct 20th. I've not gone over 2:50 I don't think in terms of time on feet. Will do one at that as last long run before taper. 

Wardi - I snooped the entry list and a couple of quick guys from Sale are heading over. Might be easier to spot if three of us are stood together :) 

Selbs - another cracking long run after not much sleep by the looks of it. Top stuff. Unlucky at the cards though :) 

A couple of easy runs today just to tick the mileage over more than anything else. Very uneventful except to say felt a little sluggish this afternoon but it is quite warm out so maybe a factor. 
  • It was nice and warm this afternoon sj. Two runs the day before a target race is an interesting approach.

I think we've always done our best by Grace, when we first took up long distance tri Grace was three and the proviso for doing the training was always that she shouldn't suffer because of it, her walks etc always came first. Of course in those days I would take her on recovery runs - she was good for up to ten miles - many a double training day was finished with a 3-4 mile run with Grace in lieu of her afternoon walk. I realised this afternoon that it's just about fourteen years to the day since I went and collected her from a hunt kennels in Devon (a bit of a trip from Derby!) as she was going to be put down as they couldn't find a home for her - at twelve weeks old. We are very fortunate to have this weekend with her really, a bit of time to spoil her stupid and come to terms with things (though I don't think it's going to make it much easier.

Unless Grace deteriorates overnight I think I'm going to run tomorrow, not expecting much from it but I am worried that if I don't keep running I'm going to find it even harder to deal with being without her. It will also give Mark and his mum (who I took with me to collect her) a bit of time to spend together and with Grace. I'm sure Wardi and sj will forgive me if I'm a little distracted though I am hoping to meet up with both of you and promise to try not to cry:-)
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    SJ.. the quickest guy I recognised in the field is Dominic Shaw from New Marske - he has the course record.  I wouldn't worry about feeling sluggish, pretty normal the day before a race.  Anyway the forecast of 10-11 mph winds and 16 degrees looks promising. :)
    LMH.. so sorry to hear about Grace, assuming you are staying at home hope to catch up another time.
    Menn.. that's frustrating!
    Selbs.. sounds like you were out with the milkfloats this morning!  Nice long run in the bank!
    TR.. I'm not that fussy with premium lagers - Sol, Corona, Staropramen, Stella, Peroni, Moretti, I also enjoy a glass of Bud occasionally.  Usually keep some Cobra and Kingfisher in the house too for indoor curries.  Another good week for you and a very decent 24 miler in the bag.
    Enjoyed a sunny stint marshalling at the Parkrun then ran a couple of loops of York Uni for around 3.5 miles.  Wanted to do a bit more but thought it wise to relax now until tomorrow morning.

• Wardi - as above, unless Grace deteriorates overnight I'm currently planning to come and run. I know it's not likely to be a good one (but then none have this year!) but it will be running and a distraction with good company:-)
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    SJ - hope you see some good numbers tomorrow despite the lack of taper. You always get yourself into decent shape. Reckon ive done about 10 x 23 or 24s this year, plus Brighton and Yeovil, better prepared than last yr for sure.

LMH - tough times, worse thing about having pets. But you can both be proud of the life you have given Grace.

Wardi - yum, i like all of those. I have some Peroni and Amstel cooling for later, i like a few cold beers after a long run rather than ales, esp on a warm day. Enjoy your race.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    LMH.. Hope to see you then, is your purple vest the race clothing of choice?
    Cheers TR, hope your thirst is suitably quenched 🍺
  • Purple vest or Xempo Wardi - haven't decided yet.
  • Purple vest Wardi.
  • A bit breezy this side of the Pennines :) Better than my side which was slate grey and perssisting it down! 
  • TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    LMH - I'm so sorry to hear about Grace. We've gone through it twice in the last 18 months, and as you said, you actually get the chance to say goodbye which is much better than the alternative (we had one cat die on the operating table from a congenital issue). My thoughts are with you all.

CW - ah, I forgot that is LS21' neck of the woods. When we go up next Keswick sounds ideal, especially if we get a train instead of driving. Ta.

TR - with you on favourites across the range. Great volume!

Good luck to all the racers today!

HR/pace tends to be up and down at this early stage (especially if I've been on the G&T the night before, ala Saturday), but I'll be doing 40mins easy later which will make 53m for the week. That includes a 70min 'long' run, 2 x 45mins @ 1/2 effort (7:12/7:14 avg), and a 3 x 5min (3 rec) fartlek - pace/avgHR: 6:03(168), 6:09(169), 6:10(170). First one was a slight downhill start, so very little drift at that higher effort, which is positive. I'm deliberately keeping a very tight lid on efforts and distances to rebuild slowly.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    TT - there's a lot to be said for keeping a bit of a lid on it during the harder sessions, save the racing for race day.

Backed up ydays 24 with 12 today, nice still and sunny morning. I bet its not like that for my 1/2 next Sunday.

Hope the racers are smashing it.
  • Job done: needed 89.59 and ran 89.42.  A bit warm for my tastes, and I could tell that I haven't got the endurance base I'd normally have, but at least the VLM qualifier is in the bag and I can race with the pressure lifted next time!
  • saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Good stuff Jools. Well on the road back. What's up next for you? 

TR - tasty weekends work TR. I am going to buy some ales for later, not sure I'll get to them as I'm shattered. 

Good to meet up briefly with Wardi and LMH before the delayed start. I think it was delayed last year too wasn't it? It's a well organised event except for getting everyone in and out. That bloody wind too! Cant complain too much as its pancake flat apart from a small rise. Defo flatter than Wilmslow but that rarely has any wind. 

Sorry didn't meet up afterwards guys. I got a few miles in as cool down but had stomach issues so had to set off.

TL;DR: 81:22 Chip time.

Noted an 80 minute pacer near myself and LMH at the start which is rare I thought. Also overheard a guy next to me comment this wasn't his A race so a free hit. Interesting I also thought.

I had decided beforehand to run on feel and not look at my watch. Worked reasonably well in the end. Felt strong through 9 miles working well with a group which had formed at mile 7. We took turns at the front and shielded from the cross winds. Good stuff. Approx 35 secs behind 80 min pacer at 8 miles. My eyes began to widen :)

However, a horrible 180 turn in the road knocked me off my rhythm which I never really got back. Worked hard to the line but last three miles were 6:19, 6:13, 6:23. Mustered remaining strength to push in through the line in 81:22. Possibly 4th fastest half ever and considering I have barely done any HM specific sessions bodes well for York. Speed is there at least. 

Need to recover well as that was a tough little blow out for sure. 69.5 for the week but I ain't going out for that .5
  • Well done Joolska.

It was windy sj and that last mile was definitely into it.

My race was even worse than I thought it was going to be, I had nothing in my legs at all, couldn't even run at MP. I don't think there's any point in flogging myself for another bad result at York, better to write this year off and hope that the stress abates and I can come back older and stronger next year.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    SJ.. that's a cracking run all told, well done indeed.  It is very flat & exposed around there so any wind is more obvious than in a built up area.  It did have some nuisance value but I still don't think it was as windy as last year (or the Brass Monkey this year!).  Nice to meet you at the start, the shiny Sale vest definitely helped.👍  Start delays.. IMHO I think the race organisers should send the numbers out beforehand then at least everyone arrives ready to run.  The proximity of their races seems to be quiet & narrow country lanes.  This does have some advantages but getting all the cars in can be a problem hence the delays.
    Jools.. really pleased for you after all your injury interludes, congrats on the Championship qualifier.
    36 miles in 2 days is impressive TR, another good week in the bag.
    A modest 1:42.17 for me but good enough for 3rd senior coffin dodger and claimed a few scalps from the club 'youngsters'.  Delighted for my travelling partner and fellow oldie clubmate who finished 1st V60.  He had to have his prostate removed less than a year ago so he's had a long battle back from that setback.  We both managed another 5m afterwards so might see him later for a celebratory glass of sherry.  😋
    I did briefly see LMH after the race but she understandably wanted to get back home soonest.

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Jools - nice. You can plan for the winter now. Did you know you had a small buffer, or did you have to get a wriggle on to make it late on?

SJ - ooh nice one. I was thinking that 81 or 82 would be a good place to be for you. Sounds like a bit fresher you'd have been closerto the pacers, so you could be sub 80min shape after a taper. That puts you low 2.5Xs, which is a nice place to be for Yorks. Im sure you'll feel like a beer a bit later. Id love an 81 or 82 myself next week, but not sure i can go that quick.

LMH - todays time has no bearing on York, your head and heart weren't going to be in it today, understandably so. Yorks is 4 weeks away. You did well to toe the line today.

Wardi - nice one on the AG podium, well done, hope the beers taste nice.
  • TR: I knew at 10 miles I had a small buffer and was on 6.50 average rather than 6.52, but after that my ability to do maths and run went!  There was a bit of a dash down the finishing straight in order to get my gun time under 90, too.

Well done, Wardi.

LMH: today was always going to be hard with everything you've had to deal with recently.  I hope Grace is ok.  As TR said, she's clearly a much loved dog who has had first class care. 
  • Joolska - we are hoping that the vet who saw Grace on Friday can come and put her down at home tomorrow but won't know if that's possible until she calls, she's fully booked in consults so may not be able to in which case we'll have to decide how long we feel we can wait and see when she is available.

Well done Wardi - and great result for your clubmate.

TR - it's not just this race, the whole year has been pants.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Jools - well judged then. Nicely done.

LMH - see where you are in 2 weeks time, when it'd be taper time, you can defo go sub3 again at York, which is good for the CV, and not to be sniffed at.
  • I'd need to be back in training TR and I don't think I have the physical or emotional energy for it. Another sub 3 won't mean anything to me in October.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Fair do's, id expect you'd  be running again soon even if you sack off Yorks. However, if you are going to have break from running for a while then good idea.
  • I doubt I'll have a break from running TR - I really would go mad then - but I'll just use it as stress relief rather than chasing miles.