Sub 3

Comments

• Ive got a triage call coming my way to hopefully authorise scans as im booked in for monday.
    I need to put this to bed as its doing my head in now
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    CW - im usually 8mm but today was heading  towards 9mm. Hope you feel better soon. Didn't realise you were alcohol free.

LMH - agreed, thats what happens on my 10 inc tenpo 6 i did tuesday. The w/u is very hilly, first 2m of temp is less hilly, but still 7mm, then i run 4m on the flat. Id like to get on the 10m (or more pancake flat) route i did a couple of times when i was off work and do some long mp runs, but its in the wrong direction for a commute...........i might do a longer flat tempo instead of a long run every few weeks next campaign, but it would build to about 16m anyway over time inc wu and wd. I reckon theres gains to be had for me there as i dont usually do it.

Thundery showers and moderate wind for Sunday.
  • Just over 10 for me last night, although my Garmin had a bad hair day and called it 11 with a fastest mile of 1.48! It's normally pretty good, so don't know what was going on there!
  • Hope the call is positive Mennania.

What is it with you and the weather when you're racing and I'm not there TR?
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • TR - I did a short lap c. 4.5m then 3 longer laps including round the polo field, lovely place to run. Agree with LMH in that hilly isn't a problem, I'm a bit of a flat track bully from avoiding them! Alternating the long run would work and you could extend the wu/cd to increase the volume.
  • TR - good luck for Sunday!

LMH - you might surprise yourself with a more low-key, lower mileage run in to York.

SWh - looking good for Berlin. Best of luck!

Simon - I couldn't stand Bavaria. It tasted like cardboard. I do like the Heineken 0.0 though. I'll second (third?) the recommendations for Proper Job. Or Cornish ales generally (one of my favourite things about going down there is trying all the local stuff).

I got the dietary side of things a bit wrong on Wednesday (trying to aim for ~25% carbs for now, as a starter to the lower carb approach) and took in ridiculously few carbs (lots of food, but the carb content was only 9%), so felt a little ropey yesterday. Aside from that I've had the feeling that my heart and lungs were improving quicker than my legs, so settled for a 35min jog, and swapped my second run for 50mins in the gym as a nod to what my body was telling me.

Legs felt much better by this morning and my jog ended up as 42mins @ 8:12 (avgHR 132bpm). To put it in context, when I started HR training, on the 27th August (24 days ago), I jogged 31mins @ 9:03 (134bpm), and later that day ran 41mins @ 8:15 (147bpm). Whichever way you look at it that's a huge improvement. I've also lost 3lbs in the last week and a half, which has no doubt helped (despite being about a stone above a decent training weight still). There's a long way to go still, but it's very pleasing.

• Menn - sorry to hear it seems to be getting worse. More investigation needed asap!

Stevie
    - sounds like you bang around 2:45 shape to me, some very tasty training.

TR - 93M in 7 days is great. If you don't have a great run on Sunday, don't worry about it as that mileage will probably slow you down a bit. But you'll be flying with a proper taper.

TT - that's an unbelievable improvement in 3.5 weeks!

I didn't run Mon/Tues/Weds to try to sort this knee out (plus was busy at work inc. a few beers on Tuesday evening). Tried a lunchtime run yesterday and managed 4M pain-free - at least I think it was pain-free, I thought I might be able to feel something if I really concentrated, but might have been imagining it! Pace was good too, shows what 3 days off does for your legs!
  • selbsselbs ✭✭✭

nice on Padams, good news.

Awesome progress TT.

TR - i might chuck in a recovery jog on Sunday if feeling up to it, to join you at just over 90m (first time ever for me it would be).  Legs feeling very fatigued still today though.

Menn, hope you get to the root cause of the issues soon.

Stevie - i have just seen that my flight to Berlin is now available again!  flippen annoying.  It woudl cost us a lotmor to hope back on the same flights though, although i imagine if i went through the pain of ringing BA they might be able to sort it, problem is i have cancelled the hotel room already, and as above, in the middle of a record mileage week, so not exactly tapering!  All a right ballache in the end, but i'm sticking with Abo now.

Joolska - my garmin gremlins are spreading!!! They have said they will send me a new one, but maybe it's nothing wrong with the unit and i am just being fussy.

Will be up early aiming for another 23-24m long run, prior to dropping my son at a club, and getting back in time for All blacks v South Africa RWC.

• It would be nice to think so TippTop - I'd love to salvage something from this year but if the way I ran this morning is anything to go by it's not going to be the case I'm afraid. I can't imagine life on a low carb diet, do you really credit that with the improvement in your health?

Good to hear that Padams. You're bound to be a bit hyper aware of it for a while.

Nice mile Joolska!  :)

I take it that won't be whilst enjoying a few low alcohol ones selbs?  ;)
  • LMH- Would love to cut out processed food, but that's even more tricky. When I'm a bit older i'll start growing more stuff I think. Old bloke on his allotment style!

TT - One man's poison etc etc. Often though lager does taste better when you're thirsty and it's hot, than a dark winters night. Can't get on with the Heineken - too watery. Menn - Yes I forgot to add that in, had a Freedam recently in Majorca - very nice.

TR - Tribute is as hoppy as I go - that's way I like Tribute, pleasantly hoppy but not overbearing like many are now (and too strong!)

OO-SW - We had a table booked at the Hofbrauhaus after Berlin 2015. Managed to finish the Pork Knuckle somehow too! Although someone booking a trip up the tower 10am Monday morning wasn't the brightest idea...

• Little M.iss HappyLittle M.iss Happy ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    You don't have to go as far as growing your own to eat less processed stuff Simon as I'm sure you know. Plenty of quick and easy cook from scratch recipes around.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    LMH - most races i do cop some sort of wind or rain outside of the summer, a result of living on the coast. Looks like im going to cop it Sunday.

Stevie - quite a few laps then. A nice run though as you say. I run the same mix of hilly/undulating most days as its the same routes for the commutes and most long runs. The desire is to do dome repeatable pace/effort mp work without the hills. Esp for flat marathons.

Padams - agreed, im aware anything could happen Sunday. From 1.24.1X at worthing in Feb in a gale and 1.27 at IoW with hills/trails/wind to 1.25.4X at Fleet on a day others were setting PBs 4 weeks after worthing.

Selbs - i might have to join you in a 5m recovery sunday, if im too cold and wet to do it post race Sunday.

Simon - ok, less hoppy. How are you with more regulation beers like London Pride, speckled hen or Tandlefoot ? How about 49er ? Or even more regulation IPAs?

My legs are most confused as i only did 5m again today. 
  • Thats annoying Selbs! Abo beckons though..

Padams - good news on the knee

Chiro today - impinged L2 due to multiple imbalances around the hips, which is only to be expected and my own fault due to lack of S&C.  Training through EDI on a broken toe might have also thrown something slightly out. Good news hes happy a few more sessions with him and Ill be good to go. Booked him in twice next week. Off to go and abuse a cross trainer at the gym now. Really not my scene but needs must.
  • Did you manage to get a scan authorised Mennania?
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Menn - hopefully that helps a bit. Hopefully after a session or 2, you will be released with some exercises. I think a chiro would find something wrong daily, so am a bit anti after the initial releasing. You need to find a few exercises to do weekly that keep you noving enough to get moving more, so that the more you do the more you can do.
    I do a few pull ups, push ups, squats, crunches etc a week, also every run that ends up at work i do some calf raises on the step outside. Pretty minimal, but less of this is more for me.
    I had hammy issues (from excessive van driving ?) that prevented vlm and yeovil 2018, i went at the hammy exercises like a bandit to get stronger snd it didnt help. I have cut them rught back and fo them bodyweight  only..........but.........im coming at this as a gym/keep fitter that has done weughts, gym, s and c for years, plus swim, bike, run so my body is still quite muscled, so doesnt need a lot of maintenance work. Something like pilates or yoga would be great. A certain amount of stretching is good, too much starts annoying things i find.
  • Waiting for the authorisation code to come through LMH

TR - I agree - the more he looked the more there was - I dont suppose anyone is truly biomechanically perfect. Psoas one side and hamstring the other working in harmony to skew my hips apparently. I definitely need to find time in the S&C camp - something Im currently looking at- Agree on the stretching - more maintenance than increased flexibility. Hopefully a route forward from here.
  • I hope you can get it sorted quickly Mennania. It is amazing what a good chiro/physio can do but they don't have x-ray vision.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Menn - exactly, that's why they could find something daily. So once straightened up, then you need to find ways to stay there as best as you can.

Just a few easy miles here, shame as its a lovely sunny day. It rained so much before last yrs Solent 1/2 that the car was sliding around when it hit the puddles on the way there, tomorrow now has a weather warning for heavy rain and flooding !
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Menn.. good that you have a result of sorts.  My piriformis episode was not pleasant and I almost cracked open the champagne when I was finally rid of the pain.  Fingers crossed for you.
    Best of luck tomorrow TR, hope the weather is kind to you.
    TT.. very encouraging, hope your progress continues.
    33mph is shifting Jools. :)  My Garmin has been good as gold generally.  However one particular run took me over two different bridges at either end of a park.  The Garmin plot claimed I hadn't crossed the river at all but still managed to get the distance and splits right - bizarre!
    Quickest Park Run since April this morning then ran home to make it 13m for the day.  The UCI cycling championships are in town today, all the roads are closed and the weather is good so I might as well go and enjoy it.
  • selbsselbs ✭✭✭
    Good luck those racing tomorrow!!  and good luck getting your pain sorted Menn.

another long run banked 2 hours 55 for 23.6 miles.  It’s proved I was just unfit early in the campaign when bonking after only 17-19 miles!! It was shelling peas up to the slightly up hill miles home. HR average 128 which is 22 below marathon so signs still decent.

hey nice park running there Wardi!!
  • That bodes well, Wardi - what's next race wise?

I hope the weather is better than forecast and you have a good race TR.

Anyone else racing tomorrow?

It's all coming together selbs.
  • padams - sounds positive re the knee. 

TT - huge improvement indeed. I'm with LMH - I wouldn't know what to eat if I cut right back on carbs :)

Menn - good to know what is possibly causing the pain. 

Wardi - that half marathon last week must have got the fibers twitching a bit quicker for you parkrun result today.

Selbs - tasty long run and confidence builder. You'll fly round Abo with those extra few weeks. Sods law with the flights to Berlin etc.

LMH - understandably running isn't at the forefront of your mind right now and hasn't been for a while. Easy for me to say but try not to add more pressure and take it day to day re running. For now at least until you get some clear space to focus once more on what essentially is a hobby for us all and one that usually gives us so much positive mental gains. If you can get back to running without pressure it will help you gain back that positive stimulus. 

TR - good luck tomorrow. Forecast looks grim everywhere. Maybe you will catch a window - you must surely be due it. 

I fear I will be out in some 'interesting' weather at 7am tomorrow. Left achilles is bothering me still so will take this one steady I think. Just shows the perils of a full tilt half. I've jogged most of this week so far but with a tester 10 x 2mins on Friday morning which seemed fine. I'm sure it will be all good its just 'there' if that makes sense. 

In other depressing news our boiler finally packed up - it had been grumbling for a while but soldiered on stoically. New one being fitted sometime next week - £1800 lighter and no hot water/heating so will be a mixture of showering at work and local swimming baths. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Nice one Wardi, embrace the bike racing when it comes to town. Some places try to spoil it !

Well done selbs, you've come a long way fitness wise in a couple of months.

SJ - hope you dont cop a dunking too, its going to be dry here by lunchtime ! Ouch re the boiler. Better to get it done now than when its freezing.

I should just run in my swimming kit tomorrow. Hopefully the weather gods are saving the good days for Abo.
  • That's a pain about your boiler especially with the weather taking a turn for the worse sj. I hope your achilles behaves and that the weather isn't too bad this morning. I'm just running how I feel as usual and am not chasing miles these last two weeks - my current thinking is that I'll aim to do one MLR and one LSR so that I am in shape to not suffer should I decide to run York. Anything else is just headspace/stress relief.

I hope you have a good race TR.

Enjoy the cycling Wardi.
  • Midlands road relays saw a solid  but unspectacular 17.07 for me as 1st leg for the c team. My course best of 16.24 was never going to be under threat but I felt pretty strong.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    SJ.. bad news about the boiler, we replaced ours a few years ago when parts for it were getting scarce.  We do have a water tank with an electric heating option if the gas ever goes off so we can get hot water one way or another.  Hope the long run goes well.
    LMH.. no more long races planned before York, some more long runs & MLR's with a few Parkruns thrown in.
    Selbs.. cheers, conditions were good at Parkrun, light winds, bright & 13 degrees.  Mind you it was around 19 by the time I'd run home!  Cracking long run from you, confidence must be high.
    Jools.. you've run a decent leg there, another sign of progress.
    Low key club handicap race this morning, 5m mix of road/off road.  I ran part of the off road section on my way home yesterday, more potential for nettle stings than PB's TBH. :s.  Will add a few miles on afterwards.
  • Strong is good Joolska.

That doesn't sound like much fun Wardi. I'm the same - have stuck with an old fashioned boiler so have an immersion heater plus electric shower option.

Briefly contemplated Tissington Trail Half next weekend for a change scene but at £30 a go it's probably not going to happen.
  • saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    LMH - sounds like a good plan and a shade more optimistic  which is good to read. 

Jools - solid hit out anyway and must be good to be turning out for the club again. 

Wardi - hope the handicap race goes well. 

22 miles done in torrential rain for first hour in 2:51 but ran progressively.Brightened up after that with showers to keep us cool. Struggled from 15 - 18 and could feel last weeks half catching up with me but got through that to finish strong. Only another one of those left now. Really looking forward to the taper. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Jools - feeling string is a positive

Well done SJ a grim day for running long.

2m, solent 1/2, 3m for me. Intended to do 5m wd but my legs were shot. If i need to practive warming up and standing on the start line in the pissing rain for Abo then im good to go. Plenty of splashing through puddles in the race too.
    Couldnt match my recent run of 3 mins quicker than last yr, but managed around 2m 30something.
    Started off 6.20ish and thought ok thats 1.23, but got going a bit better and had a sniff of scraping under 1.22 at one point, i felt strong but my legs started wrapping it in by 10m, and were a bit wobbly in the last mile. Hung on for 1.22.3X. A better course like Gosport would be 60 to 90sec quicker, so with a taper im heading back to 80min ish. After lots of personal worse performances in the last 2 years im actually starting to improve a bit. Wasnt able to really push but i guess thats all the miles, and i knew that in advance, plus side should be a quick recovery. Kind of wished i was a bit fresher so i could have gone faster but Abo is the priority.
    Double it and add 10 mins for Abo?
  • Great run TR, your definitely in 2.55 shape at least.

Good mental toughness there SJ, I luckily managed to avoid the rain!

Last double digit run for me, 12m at 7.48 which felt almost like recovery effort. Just a few 5milers and some strides now before I fly out on Friday