Options

Sub 3

Comments

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    I got a pair of Pegasus 35 for 60ish when i was looking for alternatives to my Nimbus, i had a pair of original Pegasus back in the day so thought id give them a go. They have been good and are hard wearing, they are over 600m now, but you cant get Peg 35 cheaply, so i got more rides for 50ish.
    My Pegs, rides, nimbus and flynits are all size 9. The flynits are supposed to be snug as they are effectively a sock with a sole and will stretch. Mine are still unused. I think the new green magic shoes would be better with no knit upper and back to a tongue and lace set up.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Must be taper time if folks are posting rather than running.

Ive come to expect every run to be wet at the mo, i bet thered some nice running weather the week after Abo/York.

Wardi- stick with what you know works this week.

SJ - depends how much you are prepared to gamble, and what youd accept if you could guarantee it. Id like to get back under 255, so my best chance of doing that is to start off 254 pace rather than 250 pace. Ill probably print off a 2.54 pace band for reference, to use as a handbrake early on. The big question as ever is how fast do i have to go before its too fast ? Which might remain unanswered, last yr the answer was 255 pace.
  • Options
    saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Wardi - travelling over first thing so will go for the park and ride from Elvington as you suggest. Anywhere to have a post race beer close by to the finish or do you recommend heading into the City? I am wondering about getting back to the car if I don't use the same route back from the finish. 

TR - I'm gonna stick with the Asics I reckon. I've been injury free for a while now and I can get hundreds of miles out of a pair. My oldest tracked pair on Strava have over 1,000 miles on them. Second oldest is over 700 miles. 

12 and a bit miles (20km) done in perfect conditions. No sooner did I start out then the drizzle stopped and didn't start again. Felt a little harder than it perhaps should have but I did run a hilly route for some variation and a nod to the lumpy course next week. 

Whilst out running on said hilly course I had a reality check and realised 2:49;59 can wait for another day. Next week will be about making some more progress. Greedy monster whispering in my ear abated. Phew! 

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    SJ - you had best do some revision. I looked up york and found ~200ft of total ascent ? From memory Abo is ~300, vlm ~500, brighton ~600, yeovil ~800, i got concerned when they changed this years Yeovil route and said it had gone from ~200ft to ~800, and i wanted to know how it compared to other courses i had done. I might have looked it up wrongly, but you might struggle to find a quicker course ?
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    SJ.. at the finish walk across the bus area to where they come in - that is Heslington Main St.  Turn left and walk down to the big junction, turn right down the narrow street (still Heslington Main St) and there are two pubs there - Deramore Arms and Charles XII.
    Nice last MLR there, must be nice staying dry for a change!

• Options
    saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Wardi - cheers for info once again. 

TR - Hmm. I just did some straw poll research (4 random results from Strava) on each London/MCR/Yorkshire/Abo:

MCR (total elevation gain):  100m / 328ft
    Yorkshire: 152m / 498ft
    London: 120m / 393ft
    Abo: 100m / 328ft

Yeah so we're not talking much tbh and people have run fast at Yorkshire for sure. Looking at the profile its more little sharp climbs rather than anything too bad. At most 0.5km of climbing in a couple of spots. 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    SJ - i wouldnt have used strava. Maybe course routes change, probably wise to find a recent reading for them. Manch is flat then.......vlm always feels very flat, so yorks must feel similar? Wardi and Charlie would know ?
  • Options
    saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Yeah Strava does do some conversion stuff for sure. Those results were from the last running of those events.
    MCR is fast and flat. Must be the quickest course in the country. See if they muck it up for 2020 when it passes through the city centre for the first time. 
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Here's my track from last year (surprised there aren't any ducks on there!).. undulations shown in green underneath.  From memory there's a small climb around 7m and a slightly longer hill at 9-10m.  Nothing too steep though and after the latter there is a pleasant downhill section in the countryside.  After that nothing of note until the little tester at the finish.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/3088836836

• Options
    I was going to say - which undulating course sj?!? I was definitely talked into it as fast and flat  :)

Hope you didn't get too wet Wardi. Yes, my week starts on a Sunday - a relic from my shift working day I did my gym program them couldn't resist the treadie. Only four miles, one warm up, two progressive and one cool down. Amazing how easy MP feels on there.

TR - My Garmin had London at 484 ft of gain this year and Yeovil 408 ft.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    SJ - i should do manchester some time.

Wardi, lmh - that trace of Wardis looks ok. 560ish is similar to brighton in total , but brighton has some definite small hills early on and then goes pancake on th seaftont..........that Yeovil trace is bizarre then, their route mapping tool showed 800, your 400 isnt much more than Abo,  and yeovil was a bit rolling in the first half with a bit of a drag and the a sharp little hill in the 2nd half of each lap (plus it was included in the extra 3rd little lap). i guess you have to use the same gadget and tool in order to compare routes.......
    .so whats the conclusion? Yorks is flat enough to not have to be fearful?

Lmh - What did you get for Yeovil 2018? Yeovil 2019 felt hillier than vlm? I wonder what something like Berlin is?
  • Options
    I was parkrun RDing yesterday so had all the volunteers watching Kipchoge on a mobile phone while the parkrun was on.  It timed just nicely so that the leaders just came along at the end of their first lap after events in Vienna were done.

XC league yesterday afternoon - a fairly standard trudge round Richmond Park.  Not particularly quick, but about where I'm at over that kind of distance.

And then 22.5 this morning in the wet, last long run of the campaign.  Nice and easy, mostly off road.  So that's the cake baked, just the icing to do and then keep enough matches dry to light the candles in three weeks.

Re shoes sizing, I'm 8.5 in Mizuno, 9 in Nike and 9.5 in Adidas, if that helps.

Good to see some icing going on elsewhere as well.  A park and run system, eh Wardi?  That's one way of getting a warm up in.  Good to see ES back in, good luck in Abo.
  • Options
    Yep, same gadget TR - Yeovil 2018 was 252 foot.

Not really CD as I'm a 6 in Adidas and found the Nike 7 too small - strange. Good to get the last long one banked.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    LMH - 2018 sounds like what was advertised, i hope they go back to that route in future. Maybe i gave the course too much respect this year then and should have gone quicker earlier. Probably wise to stick with my 254 for Abo too.

Well done CD, i like the bit about keeping the matches dry to light the candles.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Nearly fogot....

Lmh - any vaporfly of flynits are unisex i think, not sure how that affects sizing for you though. Id read reviews on something like runningshoeguru for any shoes you might be interested in.
  • Options
    Little M.iss HappyLittle M.iss Happy ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    You did what you wanted at Yeovil this year TR - a comfortable sub 3 with no issues - and it put you in a good place for your Abingdon campaign so I don't think you should have any regrets. I didn't realise they were unisex - might make a difference.

Can I blame the increased elevation at York if I fail to DBS again?  :)
  • Options
    Well done on the last long run for New York CD

It doesn't seem any of us running Abingdon or York can blame poor performances on the hills. I will need to think up alternative excuses.

Did a gentle 10 today to bring up 31 miles for week plus 70 on bike commutes.  Next week I will do 7 on Tues,  4 on Thursday  and 2 on Saturday. Hopefully my old legs will freshen up.

Good to see ES  appearing - hope to bump in you at start as will only be seeing your back as soon as the gun goes. Shame we won't be able to get the do the usual post race copious  beer drinking we manage in London!

I use to run in Asics but now in Adidas. Had to move up half a size. I think I will go and try on some magic Nikes before deciding  on a purchase.

• Options
    I moved from Asics to Adidas but stayed the same size TickTock. I'm sure your legs will come good.
  • Options
    Fingers crossed LMH. I hope you have a good race in York  after disappointment  in London 

Chicago marathon is interesting (on red button)
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    The forums races are all getting pretty close now.....quite inspirational seeing Kipchoge yesterday.  Still believe his WR in Berlin 2018 was more impressive, seeing as he ran the last 10 miles on his own in that race.

On shoes, been running for 3 years on Adidas Supernova Boosts, but next time out (Malaga in Dec fingers crossed) will debut the Nike Flyknits.   Should be a lighter and faster racing shoe, hopefully magic enough!.

York  20th October

LMH
    Wardi
    SJ
    Al P
    Njord
    Charlie W

Abingdon  
    Selbs
    TR
    Tick Tock
    ES

New York 3rd Nov
    CD
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    LMH - runbritain gave yeovil a score of 2.6 too, compared to 1.8 for a windy brighton and 0.9 for last yrs Abo. The higher score will equate to time too,  but not sure how much.

Tick tock - ill try not to be last in the portaloo this time and see you on the start line.

OO - agreed 2 mins slower, without all of ydays time savers eg less corners, pacers sheltering him,  handed drinks etc.  You are the man to say how flynits size compated to boosts then.
  • Options
    Adding in Joe.

York  20th October

LMH
    Wardi
    SJ
    Al P
    Njord
    Charlie W

Abingdon  
    Selbs
    TR
    Tick Tock
    ES

Frankfurt  27th Oct 
    JoeB

New York 3rd Nov
    CD
  • Options
    What score does it give York TR?
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Very odd not seeing you in a marathon list OO.  Hope you can get that hernia sorted soonest.
    CD.. nice to get the last big run banked, don't be putting any candles in your hand luggage though :D
    LMH/SJ.. the pretty village at the top of the gradual climb at 9-10m is called Upper Helmsley so I guess the clue is in the title. ;)
    I managed to find a 'light drizzle' window of opportunity around lunchtime so got out for just over 6m.

Not entirely surprised by Kosgei's WR, the way she ran the GNR was a statement of intent.  Bad day at the office for Farah though. :o
  • Options
    selbsselbs ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    nice big weekend CD and final long run.

TR might have explained the magic shoe anomaly LMH since a few of us find Adidas half a size too small compared to Nike.

So as I understand it UK for the olympics only has one spot to automatically give someone (maybe others to offer if qualify later??? Not sure). Who would you give it to now? I would vote Hawkins, he’s proven he can perform in marathon in big championship race and in heat.  Mo seems to have not improved since splitting with Salazar..  he could go back to 5 or 10km but I’m not convinced he would do much better there or would he.

would like to see Bekele v Kipchoge in a marathon when both fit.

massive weekend for Nike they must be happy to get some of the news off Salazar and back on their magic shoes with two “world records” and a huge amount of advertising with everyone on Saturday and Sunday in the Nike’s.

feeling taper niggles and sniffles here. Hope madness.
  • Options
    selbs i am sure it is just taper madness. You are going to fly round Abingdon! You've got magic shoes

If we only have one Olympic men marathon place then I agree it should go to Callum Hawkins. He has a lot of potential and is improving. Mo didn't have a great day today but I I am unsure if he is going to get any quicker (or behave more maturely in press conferences).

• Options
    Selbs - Nice pace
    Ive got 4 pairs of pegasus as there was a closing down sale at the outlet near me. Got some winflos too. However, I need to get high cushioning shoes . Anyone hear use Hoka or recommend anything east on the bones?
    8 miles on a 400m soaking wet school grass track for me. It looked like a cattle track by the end. :) That gives me over 20 miles off road for the week 

• Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Menn - Excellent, progress.
    LMH - The score given is variable and influenced by the times of the other runners and I think unreliable.  e.g. I've run Exeter twice  6 (not many runners, 4th in 3.07) and 4.4 (more runners and I ran 2.56 and 3rd), and Cornwall which gets a 2 umpteen times, yet Cornwall is by far the harder marathon, it just attracts more and faster runners. 
    Wardi - A strange feeling here to.  Saying that good to recharge to have some time off relatively and hoping the hernia op comes through asap. 12 today makes it 42 for the week, mostly off-road with the pooch. Plenty booked or targeted for 2020.

Can everyone post their numbers please so I can track you all next Sunday, to give you all some virtual support. 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    LMH - no idea, need to look up someones profile that has done it. Its a rating as to how slow a race is on a given day compared to the pbs of its participants (vlm 2018 was 3.1, 2019 was 1.0), so wind or heat comes in too. A smaller race probably has few runners running close to their pbs so will be given a slower grade,  but its a fair assessment of bigger races.

Edit - wardi did york 2018, its shown as 1.3. So pretty low.

Good news Menn.

OO - No tracking for Abo.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    I hope Hawkins gets preselected too, he is a champs performer.

As good as yday was, im with OO in that the Berlin WR is a better performance. Im not sure about todays record (as i wasnt of the old mark too). Im not sure of Mo due to the level change when moving to salazar and a lot of what ive read about it. Shame really. BBC love mo, but they are all still sponsored by Nike too. Im not sure of Nessie either.