Sub 3

Comments

• I be 11 1/2. Good idea, thank you :)  but not too bothered, my current ones have only logged 66 miles, VLM will have barely taken them over the 100m mark so hard to justify it, and they will be priced at that again in the next sale, I'm sure.

@menn I pass no judgement on your dodgy Internet searches.
  • I don't think mine will be any good for you then TGO unless you wear them both on the one foot but someone may be able to oblige - worth the ask.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Not sure i can help either, i havnt had any payments taken, although they might not have processed the orders yet I'll chase it Monday, will be a shame if ive missed the 4% boat.
  • I've had an email confirming payment and saying they'll be delivered today.

rj - it's bliddy freezing - a high of 3C here and not forecast to feel above 0 all day but nice and still. Hope you have a good race.
  • Magic shoes have arrived, they feel very strange to walk in. The larger size 6 is definitely too big and I'm not sure about the smaller ones, they feel a little loose around the heel, definitely not the snug fit I was expecting and now I'm not sure whether to keep them or if i need to go down half a size.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    LMH - send the bigger ones back for a smaller pair, then decide. They need to be a bit snug as they will stretch a bit.......must just be my orders that didnt go through.

The point of me doing P and D is that i think the quality work will do me good esp the mp runs. Today was 16 inc 8mp, which came in av 6.26. Need to so it on s still day though, its breezy today so the effort level wasnt even enough.

251 for Nov, a bit measly due to Abo and Gosport. Not sure ill manage 345 in December which would get me to 3500.
  • Just off the phone having arranged to do just that TR and will then have a run in whichever feel most comfortable as the nice man insisted that it was fine to run in them and return them if they didn't feel right. No running for me today though as my RHR was rather high this morning, pesky cold.
  • Stalking RJR's run, it seems CW has a rival in the 'most even splits' camp.  
  • I'm in the club. 2:58:59 and as you say CD pretty metronomic. once I hit a 6:48 average at around 3 miles I kept it there until a mile to go when I kicked on. helped to be with the 3 hour pacer to keep it sensible!
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Well done Joe, thats a good way to end the year. Gives you inspiration to push on in the New Year for a spring mara.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    LMH - the customer service seems to be good. I'll find out Monday when i chase my two orders up. Luckily there should be enough shoes returned for them to be able to allocate me a pair.
  • Welcome to the club. Congratulations. Pacing to die for and nerves of steel.  Hope you enjoy a few beers in Nottingham,  city of my University days, keep away from the Shipstones if that's still around. . 
  • Well done rj.
  • Looks like a slight -ve split to me Joe.  You did well to keep a lid on it early on because I suspect that pace felt very easy in the early miles.  Not so later on but you obviously had enough left.  More to come next year I think.  Well done.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    A very nice mornings work Joe, enjoy those celebratory beers! 🍻
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    Just dropping in to say congratulations to Joe - great pacing and you even managed to pick the pace up at the end.  The first Sub 3 is special so enjoy those beers.
  • Cheers all, very pleased. 

I wasn't sure how I'd go today and it didn't start very well. got to the car park with 25 mins to spare but the signs sent us the wrong way around the lake so it was over 2 miles to get to the start line. fortunately they gave people some extra time to get to make the start and we set off 10 mins late. not sure I needed the warm up even in the cold conditions. There were quite a few icy patches on the course. not ideal!

So 8 around 8.8 laps round the lake. I set off at around 6:45 pace and was keeping that up until the 3 hour pacer passed me at around mile 3. I was a bit bemused but there was a group of maybe a dozen so I settled in with them and the pace was averaging around 6:47. I wouldnt say i was particularly comfortable at any point beyond about 8 miles but neither was i too far out of my comfort zone. I've never been in a group like that in a marathon but its worth its weight in gold. all i had to focus on was ticking off the miles. The group shrunk over time until there was 4 of us and the pacer but we all finished within about a minute of each other and sub 3. credit to the pacer! I didn't dare go any quicker until we had a mile to go when I broke clear a little with another of the guys, who beat me in a sprint finish with his 4%s. Bizarrely, we ran together for the best part of 3 hours but hardly a word was exchanged in the group.

I think 21 of my miles were between 6:45 and 6:50. the slowest mile was 6:53 and my quickest was the 26th in 6:29. At one point i felt like a slower Kipchoge. Garmin thinks I overran by around 400m so I'm not sure on the half marathon splits but I think they were pretty much bang on even.

So overall I'm very happy. I think I ran pretty much my current potential today. Although if the pacer had been doing 6:45 could i have kept up? we'll never know. some time off now, although I have a run/walk booked in the peak district Friday which could be brutal. then build up towards a 12 week P&D for an April marathon. Hoping the fitness and the shoes can get me towards 2:55 and a London good for age time!

After some smaller scale marathons I'd definitely like to run something bigger in 2020 although it may have to wait til the autumn. There was very little support out there today which personally would have made it quite difficult to run out on my own ahead of the pacer. any suggestions welcome. the weather in Valencia sounds lovely...good luck to racers tomorrow.
  • RJR - if you're looking for a bigger marathon next autumn, you've just run inside the qualifying time for Chicago, and their GFA entries close in a day or two.  Just saying!
  • I've looked at Chicago a few times having run a qualifying time in April but the cost puts me off. $230 to run the race alone before flights and hotel is pretty extreme!
  • @rjr nicely run. There’s little margin between delivering on your potential MP and blowing up, some say as small as 5sec/mile. and you were comfortably under sub3. Top stuff.
  • Well done Joe, great run

Reporting in from a sunny Valencia. I managed 2:55:18 which is a PB  by 6 seconds. At age 51, I am happy with taking 6 seconds off every 7 years!

The last few miles were tough but I managed to hold it together and it beautiful sunny day, just perfect for some beers now.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    CD - you were either up early, or very late to bed.

Well done Tick Tock, you were one of a few runners i was tracking, you ran very even. Happy days with a PB as an m50. Enjoy the beers.

7m easy today, my legs were toast after ydays mp run.

I phoned Nike, apparently their systen cancelled my orders, nice of them to let me know. I need to screenshot my email accrptance of order emails through to customer services and hopefully theyll honour the cheapest order. Although they might not have any stock now anyway.......might have to go bright green instead now.
  • Fantastic TT, a PB is special and at 51 even more so. Pretty swift time too. Nice work. 

TR - 1 of my pair Blue size 9 are on their way back, so fingers crossed.

13.25 miles for me today, 7m warmup c7.20 mm and then a 10k into a headwind that turned out at 39.22 so a minute quicker than last week, without rinsing myself. Starting to feel positive now for Malaga. 
  • Well done to TT and RJR on what appear to be pretty trouble free and consistent races. Sounds just about spot on!

13 for me to day to bring up 55/187 for the week/month. 
  • Brilliant TickTock - older and faster :-)

Hope they sort it out for you TR.

RHR still up and peak flow down so had to make the decision to be sensible and not run today.
  • Great run from Joe - nice work mate!

Lovely to spend some time in Valencia with TT and Dan as always. Congrats on the PB TT!

Short story from me - 2:44:41, about par for the course I reckon. Through halfway in 1:22:00 and then gutted out the second half with lots of thoughts of slowing but just about held it together.

Really happy with how far I’ve come in the last 8 weeks, and hopefully well on the road to the old JB. Always humbling to run a champs time, as a couple of years ago that was just stuff of dreams. 

Few beers now! 
  • Quality work Joe.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Brilliant run Joe, that's a quality time off truncated training. Bloody freezing here to make those beers all the more enjoyable.
    Looks a good week Mennania. 
    Wise call LMH.
  • Enjoying and being happy with it are the important things Joe. Hopefully it's onward and upward from here though why you want to be on the Champs start instead of in the FGFA with the rest of us I can't imagine :-)
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    OO - good confidence booster today then.

Menn - thats a better week and month total, you are getting somewhere now.

Joe - well run Joe, a nice strong run there. Good to see you back racing well. Enjoy the beers.