Sub 3

Comments

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    CD - nice one on the bonus 20. Good one on the impending 10m. I start racing again in 3 weeks, only 7 weeks until worthing 1/2 too.

I was off today, so banged out another 18.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Nice long runs CD & TR, at last some decent weather for it. A great return for you CD with your marathon times on 2,200 miles, relatively low.
    TR - You must be on your way to a record mileage year, should set you up for a really good 2020.
    Looks like c2,500 miles for me same as 2018 which is a step up on previous years.
    Ha ha yes Wardi, my daughter makes up a family photo calender for my birthday present so they are all on there. Probably going to add Budapest and probably Gran Canaria, to make it 6 marathons for 2020. 
    Still marathon-recovery mode so an easy ish 6 miles this morning , on one of my favourite coastal routes Polzeath to Rock, twas sunny and dry so h-a-p-p-y and some broiling surf to run next too as well and some sprints to retrieve the pooch from chasing rabbits. 
  • Excellent stuff everyone and good to see 2020 plans are forming.

8 miles today including some Wardi style card posting. not totally niggle free but confident I'm moving in the right direction. 

Liverpool booked. gives me the time now to build up towards the P&D 18 week. aim is a London GFA. if successful then I'll focus the rest of the year on 5k/10k/half. since I've never actually focused on any of those distances and tapered etc I might manage a full sweep of pbs which would be nice.

Have a great Xmas everyone. I'll be counting food and drink towards my weekly mileage!
  • Been off work since last Weds, did a 20M run with some faster (but not very fast) miles on Sat and otherwise just holiday plodding.

TR -- I can't remember how much training I did for that marathon at 13 -- a fair bit I guess, but nothing like my regime now! It was a specific race (Guildford Masters & Maidens) not run under AAA rules, which allowed minors if accompanied by an adult. OO -- it took 4hr12 from memory; I remember we stopped to drink water at every station (it was before hyponatremia had been thought about, not that frequent anyway probably). My mum was a doctor so you could say I was medically supervised! A friend did it too, accompanied separately by our running-crazed Liverpudlian geography teacher.

Wardi -- yes, Coldhams Common was my last reported parkrun. Might do it again this w/e, not sure yet. I'm aiming for a little peak for Brass Monkey, so the odd tune-up race would be no bad thing. Our club 4M boxing day affair is a possibility, too.

H A P P Y   C H R I S T M A S    A L L   ! ! !

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    OO - running from Polzeath to Rock sounds nice.

CW - crazy times, it wouldnt be allowed nowadays.

I did 10m inc strides to complete a 12 day double digit streak (14,16,15,10,13,10,10,10,16,12,18,10).

68m to go. Rest day tomorrow, if my snottiness has gone by Thursday, the I'll do the P and D LT run.
  • OO - thats a decent year or running planned out there

CW - probably banned now! Aren't all geography teachers slightly crazed one way or another?

Ahead of the curve now TR. Enjoy the day off

9 with 6 at MPE of 5.45-5.50, which was rude awakening as to what ive got to come. 

Happy Christmas one and all.

• I have been AWOL yet again, for which I apologise, but popping in to wish everyone a very Merry Christmas.
  • Same as Joolska really. Happy Christmas everyone. I might get some decent mileage in this week. 
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Yes indeed, have a jolly day everyone - eat, drink and be fairly merry.  :p
    Menn.. it must be tough but pleasing to be able to do a session like that after your recent troubles.
    Good work to be ahead of schedule TR, you deserve tomorrow off!
    Just had time for a drizzly 8.3m this morning.  I'm heading to York Park run tomorrow, it tends to be busy there on Xmas day but the atmosphere last year was lovely with everyone in Xmas themed accessories/clothes of some description.  The sun is forecast to shine too! 
  • Dan ADan A ✭✭✭
    Just popping in for the first time since April to wish old friends a Happy Christmas.

Short story; got injured (achilles) after a couple of May/June ultras and have barely run a step for the past six months.  Can't shake it off, though have managed a few 20-something parkruns in recent weeks.  Think even VLM might come too early, but have a place at UTMB in August to aim at.

Hope all are fit and well; look forward to a better 2020 than 2019!!
  • Me too Dan. Hope you are well on the way to recovery now.

Have a good running week sj.

Enjoy the break Joolska.

What festive attire will you be sporting Wardi?

Hope everyone celebrates/survives as appropriate.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Good to see a few returning faces

Dan - i hope you do have a much better 2020.

Menn - im sure that mp will come down as you get fitter.

LMH - all aboard in April. The other passengers are all on it at the mo. Its getting me out the door (apart from today).

Have a great day with your families folks, im enjoying not going anywhere near my trainers today. Back to it (in the rain) tomorrow. Hope Santa brought some running kit, or beer.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    LMH.. red t-shirt with Xmas tree motto on it (from the Edwinstowe Race), Santa hat and red shoes.  Couldn't match the chap in the full reindeer suit though.  The Knavesmire was truly spectacular in the sun/mist this morning, course attendance record was broken with over 800 runners.  40 seconds quicker than Saturday, must be the carb & beer loading.  ;)
    Dan.. blimey that's a long time out, I hope 2020 brings you a full recovery.
    Enjoy your Xmas day LMH/TR.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Hope everyone is enjoying some family time.
    Back to it today.10m inc strides and the P and D 4m LT. Copped an absolute drenching and the wind played havoc with the LT pace, but it was nice to turn the wheels a bit quicker. Hopefully its ejected the last of the snottiness too.
  • Hope everyone is suitably imbibed/relaxed.

Hi to all the returning faces - heres to a good 2020.

A hilly 10 yesterday and a double recovery today sporting all the christmas running kit ive been bought. Ive now got more accessories than sports direct. 

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    That was a decent couple of days then Menn. 

10m eaay here. 4 runs to bag 48 more, but there should be a couple of longish runs in there so should be achievable.
  • 10 on Xmas Day and 10 today, but rested yesterday. I'm back to pretty much steady miles only again as early November something in my foot went ping: self diagnosis was a small low grade tear. Pretty much ok now but it's clear my left ankle/foot is weak after so many serious sprains in the last 2 years, so it'll be a reduced London build up after yet another round of extra strength and conditioning!
  • CW - That's a long relationship with the marathon, not many 13 year olds run a marathon lest with a parent, very special.
    Dan A - Fingers crossed on the achilles and hope to see you in the Chamonix Valley in tip top shape UTMB time.
    Good to see the forum never rests. For my part, 5m on Xmas Day, in a successful search for bread sauce and 7 yday pre another food and drinks binge partly fuelled by a Xmas pressie of the new fad turmeric & ginger. 
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    OO.. there's a member of my family who insists on bread sauce, no one else seems bothered!
    Jools.. good to see you back on the road after a proper injury.
    TR.. still nicely on target, those double digit runs should keep the Xmas timber off at any rate!
    Menn.. lol, I got two running tops, a running book, plus some new shoes for Xmas - the relatives always know running kit won't go to waste.  :)  
    I always seem to struggle for time Xmas week but I am keeping up daily runs, 7m yesterday and today.  A house full due tomorrow afternoon so will do Park run again and add a few miles onto that.

A lovely picture from York Park run on Xmas day just before the start, the first timers briefing and RD's announcements in action!  It was only misty like that for about an hour, by 09.25 all the mist had gone.

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    Jools - 10s is good. Tear of the foot or ankle ? Ligaments?

Wardi - tickover miles is fine.

P and D said 16m today, i tried to follow the mp+20% 1st 8m and mp+10% 2nd 8m. Legs complained a lot due to doing the LT run thursday this week.

32m to go off 3 runs.
  • Best guess is ligaments in foot, TR, but a small tear. The pain was so acute that it couldn't really have been anything else, plus the recovery time of 5 weeks is about spot on for a small low grade tear. But the cause is almost certainly weakness in the ankle and other muscles/ligaments over compensating. I should probably have gone to a physio but work was hectic and I was fairly sure what they'd say!!!

7.5 miles with strides today.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Jools -  i guess you can do some strengthening work for feet then.

10m easy ticked off.
  • Yup, I'm spending quality time with resistance bands at the moment!

15 today brought up 55 for the week and 2,002 for the year (with two days to spare).  Slightly soberingly I last managed to cover more than 2,000 miles in a calendar year in 2016.  Ho hum.
  • You seem pretty good at managing that kind of thing joolz, I hope it doesn't take long.

Last race of the year this morning, the Staplehurst 10 miler.  One I've done the last three years.  it's mostly flat with a few undulations, and a bigger hill after 6 miles that generally adds about a minute to the mile 7 time, but consequently makes the last miles a lot more fun on the other side.

I found myself in a nice group of five early on, with 6 others strung out ahead and the quickest pulling away quite sharply (he finished in a course record 51 minutes).  At three miles I found myself at the front of the group and gradually they dropped off as I maintained a steady pace to reel the two I could see some 100m ahead.  I passed one at 5 miles (29:00) and the other just before we hit the hill.  He's a guy I know quite well and we're pretty evenly matched over this distance.  I thought he would get away as we crested the hill but the undulations continue for a while after that and I made the better recovery to pull away.  Obviously I lost time on the hill but managed to make the most of the downhill to cover the last 3 miles in 16:35 and finish in 58:10 chip.  Three minutes quicker than my previous best on the course, which I like to think can't all be down to the magic shoes!  Good enough for 5th overall (although 2.5 minutes down on 4th) and first vet, as a bonus.
  • Fantastic CD! Definitely not just the shoes.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Jools - good news on the 2000, getting back towards where you were.

Top bombing CD, you've posted some cracking performances this year. Sets you up nicely for 2020.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    LMH - did i read that you are unjured? I thought i saw you did a 20m recently too?

14m for me. 8m needed tomorrow.
  • CD -- fantastic performance, I know you're a few years older than me and I'd be nowhere near that now.

Wardi -- fantastic photography, "radiation fog" I think. Commuting along the river from Cambridge I often see beautiful sights but never stop to take pictures -- that way madness lies -- but I did a special photo mission on Xmas morning to capture the rising sun.

I officially started my VLM campaign yesterday with 22.4 miles of fartlek (not very quick efforts, and got slower, also now wrecked). Actually I've done 3 other basic 20M runs since York, just to keep ticking over. County XC this weekend, then the Brass Monkey HM as a V50.003 the week after. Happy New Year all!
  • My right knee went bang over a week ago TR.
  • Sorry to hear that, LMH.  I hope you've been able to rest it over the Christmas break and it is beginning to heal.

Just a very steady 5M recovery run this morning for me: 55M last week has left the legs tired!