Sub 3

Comments

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    OO.. I had heard Valencia had got massively more popular since we were there.  It's not always a good thing - I heard a few moans about Berlin this year due to overcrowding and poor arrangements at the start.  Pity about OCC, does seem a tricky one to get into - what are the odds? 
    Safe journey up North Charlie, hope the birthday celebrations go well.
    Nice session CD, BTW are you doing VLM after Tokyo or just the latter?
    Just over 6m for me too today TR (in light drizzle), starting to wind it down now on the way to Sunday.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Wardi - i managed to stay dry today, woo hoo ! Forecast is breezy for sunday here, although it was breezy last yr too.
  • I was quite impressed by the number of brits taking on Valencia. I guess if you're looking for a late year marathon it does provide good weather!

Unlucky OO. One of my friend's Dad has missed out on Western States a silly number of times in a row even though his chances increase each year. Just need to keep persevering!

Good luck to any Brass Monkeys this weekend.

Was difficult to get the runs in this week as was working away in Manchester. Blew away the cobwebs today with a quick session including 2x1km (3:23, 3:31). Blowing out of my proverbial at the end but knee felt ok. Hoping i'll cover 15 miles this weekend and build some confidence for next week. 
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Joe.. nice lung wheezing session there and good news on the knee.  I'm sure I will revisit Valencia either for the full or half marathon. It is a very fast course and the finish amongst the Sciences buildings is truly spectacular.
    TR.. if it is a breezy day probably best that it's only a 10k!  Looks like the weather gods may be kind to us up here, current forecast is 8-9mph winds and 6-7 degrees.  After last year's wind blasting I'll take that!
    Two easy runs today, 6+3m.  I think it's cotton wool time for Sunday now.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Wardi - it was windy last yr too, so its comparable-ish. 6m here too. Probably similar tomorrow too. Hope you and Charlie go well.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    RJR - One thing us marathon runners are good at is being persistent.  Sure I will run it one day.
    Off on the University drop-off tomorrow so wishing TR, Wardi, CD and CW the best of British for your races this weekend.  I too fancy a return to Valencia and Barca for that matter. Loved them both. 
    Rest day today. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Hope CD goes well too then. He is on fire lately so should be fine.
  • It's XC TR so fine is the best I can hope for - it's really not my forte.  Too many changes of pace and rythym for my liking, but it's all good training.

Wardi - yes, VLM as well.  Wouldn't miss it!

I like the look of Valencia but like all the good continental marathons they fill up quickly these days.  When I did Berlin 10 years ago I didn't enter until after London, now you have to be a lot quicker off the mark.
  • Best of luck to the racers this weekend, hope the wind drops as its blowing a gale this side of the Pennines today. 

Looking forward to seeing how you all go in the first run outs of the year (for some).

Up and down at this end. Got a couple of decent weeks in the bank then things got to me this week. Finally got my job situation sorted after a bit of a tug-of-war. Current employer didn't want to lose me and prospective employer kept having to up their offer. Sorted it all out in the end and start new job early Feb. 

Decided to run a Steve Smythe schedule this year instead of P&D. It has more speed work during the week with lots of change of pace stuff during tempos as well as classic intervals. I think I needed a change or sorts. 

After a hapless run midweek (tiredness, mental stresses) I was thinking that I needed more time so was veering towards VLM instead of Mcr. However, some wise words from LS21 on Strava got me back on track. So still on course for Mcr in 12 weeks. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    CD - rather you than me then.

SJ - good news on the new job, is that closer to home ? Sounds like a salary increase too! Good idea on a change of plan, for a bit of physical and mental stimulus. Theres gains to be had. 12 wks is plenty, you've been doing consecutive campaigns.

6m inc strides today (again).
  • TR - slightly closer to home (Liverpool) but swapping a trans pennine route for the M62 so potentially a shorter time spent in the car each day. More money yes. 

10 today worh 4 @ mara effort. Plenty of room for improvement for sure. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Good news then SJ on the salary front, hope it works out well. Plenty of time for more mp running.

Stubbington 10k today. Last yr i did 38.28 for 130th, today i did 37.05 (my watch, hopefully it took me 6 secs to cross the start) for 70th on a windier day. Chichester in 3 weeks would usually be approx 30sec quicker again (esp if its less windy), all of which puts me on the path to 80mins at fleet and sub 2.55......4% are still in the box, didnt want to waste them on a windy, slightly slow course.

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Nicely done TR, very encouraging!
    Quick report as a busy day looms.. bumped into both Charlie & LMH pre-race.  Pithing it down first 3-4 miles then gradually got better (sun  came out at 12.5 miles!).  1:39.06 for me which turns out to be my quickest half in 4 years, must be the spinach I put in my sugar puffs.  Might celebrate with a beer or two!
  • Well done Wardi, great racing.  Enjoy the beers...

That's a good improvement on last year TR - bodes well for the longer races coming up.

So yesterday ended up being a nice quick parkrun in the morning, plus the XC after lunch which went fairly well.  This morning I got in a long run, a little under 21 which made 38 miles over the two days.  A big week for me.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Top weekend there CD

Wardi - quickest 1,/2 in 4 years cant be sniffed at, double beer tonight i say. LMH was probably there with Mark, did she have pom poms?
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    She did run it (with permission) TR, didn't race it though.  Out in town tonight so a few beers are planned.🍻
    Great weekend of racing & exercise CD!
  • Sounds like good news all round. Well done everyone. Silly mileage that Dave! You can't knock a age group best Wardi. Very positive signs TR. I'm signed up to Fleet so all being well you'll be a few minutes up the road from me there.

Hungover 7.5 miles for me today. Couple of 30 mile weeks which feels lazy but are ok building weeks considering I only average around 40 leading up to a marathon. Had a peak at P&D which is due to start in a weeks time. The 9 miler with 4 at HMP is looking remarkably scary at this stage!
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Some great racing at the weekend.
    TR - That's a really fast time off the back of some weeks of hard training. Fantastic, well done. 
    Wardi - Rowing against time mate, a great performance. 
    CD - A cracking weekend, nice one. 
    LMH - Hope the knee felt and is OK?
    RJR - You will love it, when you've finished it. 
    54 miles for the week for me, unspectacular, apart from 3 new pairs of running shoes arrived on Saturday, the magic being they cost less than a £110 in total.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Hope you enjoyed the  beers wardi.

LMH - that was a quick 4 to 6 weeks rest then, the physio must have had a rethink. Good news if you are able to run a 1/2 already. Dont take any backward steps !

Joe - i cant hit hmp in those LT runs, just run hard and take the reported pace witj a pinch of salt.

OO - ace purchasing skills.

12m tonight, luckily i got 6m done before the rain joined in with the wind.
  • Well done CD, that's quite a weekend.

LMH and I both came 2nd in our age categories in the Brass Monkey HM (just as well I'd moved up one, MV45 was super-competitive this year). The difference was that I was thrashing myself round what proved to be a better race than I expected -- a couple of mins quicker than last year at 1:19:59, albeit 4.5 mins slower than my miracle race there 2 years previously -- while LMH was warmly dressed and purposefully taking it easy and not looking at her watch. A fine birthday weekend all round for me though, with a film, museum, 2 restaurants, 2 pubs, *and* Wardi & LMH!
  • A Happy Birthday indeed Charlie. Nice one squeaking inside 80 minutes in your 1st MV50 race especially given your recent (relative) lack of training.
    Nicely done Wardi.
    Good news LMH - how have you held up since?
    Huge w/e CD. That must have been a proper long XC race to get that mileage in.
    80M for me last week which is my biggest week for a year. Lots of hard work in there too so pleased to knock out a relatively decent parkrun on a windy course Saturday after a 2M wu & then carried straight on with a 1:44 HM up the traffic free Tarka Trail. Did another hilly 8 on Sunday & a 15M ride too. Rest day today so I feel restless which is a good sign :)
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Cracking week Jooligan, funny how a Parkrun can sometimes be a swift one despite a lot of miles in the legs.
    Charlie is right in that the Brass was a pretty stacked field, the first 11 men were all under 70 minutes.  I was particularly chuffed for young Charlotte who regularly trains with my club's fast group.  After a couple of circa 1:22 halfs last year she clocked 1:18 for 2nd lady on Sunday.

http://www.timingupnorthresults.co.uk/results.aspx?CId=16576&RId=3074

Nice work getting that 12 miler done TR, it was horrible here around 6pm.
    Good tourism Charlie, sounds like a cracking birthday weekend.
    I was pleasantly surprised to run as well as I did.  I had planned to rest Saturday but Mrs Wardi fancied a Parkrun so I had a steady run just under 8mm and put my feet up after that.  In the half I ran a pretty even paced effort & managed to pick it up for the last two miles when a sub 1:40 was in sight.  The beers went down very well in York's legendary 'House of Trembling Madness' pub.🍺
    Legs were groaning a bit today so just did a gentle 4.3m to try and ease the stiffness out.

• I'm glad you had a good weekend Charlie - I only managed third though.

Jooligan - knees are ok so far though the left one has been a bit tweaky, my right calf is the loudest at the moment. I'm having to be very cautious.

Nice shopping OuchOuch.

I think you keep getting a bit confused about what's wrong with me and the treatment/advice I've had TR. Neither my physio or GP said 4-6 weeks rest after the steroid injection.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    LMH - yes obviously confused.com. happy days if you are back to it so soon.

CW - happy birthday. Hopefully that sub 80 will motivate you for another strong vlm.
  • Congrats on the podium spots Charlie and LMH. Massive week there Jooligan (well would be for me anyway) so congrats. Some real momentum building behind quite a few runners here. 

I'm not sure what to do with my own running. There's some pain or general tightness around the knee on every run but it's not preventing me from running. Often times it's a case of warming up and it feels better and I do feel better for the stretching exercises I'm doing. Sometimes there's some soreness afterwards but other times not. I'm over 70 miles into the month now and do think I could handle 50 mpw+ mileage but the last thing I want is to break down 3 or 4 weeks into a plan. That said there's no guarantee taking 3 or 4 weeks off now will help. I know this all screams "go see a physio" so ultimately that probably is what I should do.

Any experience out there with ITBS of it getting better even whilst running or am I just heading for potential disaster?
  • I'd get it looked at now rj if you know a good sports physio. Chances are with the right advice/treatment you'll be able to manage it through a campaign.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    The only time I've had ITB Joe it was a sharp discomfort on the outside of the knee (the IT band rubs across the femoral epicondyle bone) with each stride.  It basically means the ITB is too tight and needs stretching.  A physio tends to run a firm finger (or elbow!) up the ITB to loosen it.  The exercises to stretch it are a bit awkward but worth persevering with.
    I was a lowly 8th in the old gits LMH so I've let the side down a bit.  ;)
    Legs a bit fresher today so 7+3m done.  A bit wet & windy this morning, it did get worse later so pleased I got out.  2nd run on the treadie.

The traditional both feet off the ground finishing shot for a slightly soggy Charlie..

• I had it a few years ago when I tried to run after an ultra. physio did a good job of managing it out then but I've moved since then. I still have the stretches so I've been following them. I've been hoping with those and sensible running mileage it will slowly get better.

I think there's some conflicting advice about whether stretching the band itself has any impact. I think most exercises are about strengthening the muscles around that area. 

I'll have a look into local physios. bound to need one at some point!
  • Good to see LMH, Wardi and CW having a good hit out at the Brass Monkey - looks like good performances all round. 

Hope the pain doesn't hang around Joe.

Wardi - we're up in York this weekend and planning on heading to parkrun there - that's your local right?
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Aye I'll be there Joe, the Mrs has to get up around 6am for a skiing jaunt flight (I'm not going!) so I might as well trot along as I should be wide awake.  If you're in a car you can park for free on Knavesmire Road, or do what I do and drive along there until the road swings to the left.  Just after that there is RH turn which runs behind the grandstand, plenty of space there.  If you need any more info just ask, it's a very fast course.  Is Katie able to run yet?

9.6m today, a bit breezy but dry and sunny this morning so a pleasant run.  Tomorrow looks a bit wet & wild!