Sub 3

Comments

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Good stuff Jooligan, XC is a race first & foremost so beating your rivals is not to be sniffed at.  Best of luck with the promotion, an open top bus tour of your town surely awaits. 
    RJR.. nothing wrong with an occasional cut back week, I had one over Xmas due to family stuff.  Just pick up where you left off when possible.
    Jools.. for one of diminutive stature very brave of you to get out for 19m in strong winds, extra brownie points duly awarded.   
    OO.. hope the beach run isn't too blustery, I assume your Beach Boys medley is at the ready. :)
    CD.. nice 21m banked and sensible decision to head for lower ground!
    Treadmill runs.. once I get past 10m and into single figures it doesn't seem so bad.  I never run with music outdoors but I don't think I could do any distance on the treadie without sound and/or vision.

The river is very high here, there are tankers ferrying water away from the worst affected area.  Not sure where they are dumping it!
  • Well done on the parkrun CD. 
    Congrats to Joolska and your partner.
    I was treadying yesterday also Wardi - though not as mentally challenging as yours - 9 with middle 7 @6.15mm to bring up a smidge off 70 for week
  • Interesting that you avoid the music Wardi. I felt all high and mighty last marathon training block as I didn't use music/podcasts at all but this time around I'm churning through marathon talk podcasts. I know some people who shudder at the thought of running without music but increasingly that's what people are faced with on race day. For me now it just feels like making the best use of my time.

Have rejigged the training for the next 4 weeks so should be fine. Busy work finishes end March and I should pretty much be WFH for April and May so should be in control of peak training and the taper. Just short of 7 miles today @7mm in the pouring rain. Having avoided the wind and rain yesterday it was fairly inevitable I'd get a bit of a pasting at some point soon!
  • CD -- that's such a good parkrun, I stalked the results -- 87.6% WAVA is top bombing indeed. You're on fire right now.

Well done on the XC Jools, and on the non-engagement if you know what I mean!

Jooligan -- glad the XC wasn't as bad as you first thought.

As I'm racing this weekend I opted for a mere 20M long run on Sat, with 10K tempo after 10 miles (marathon effort but not very quick). Overall it was nice to finish a 'short' long run with the legs still feeling like they had some go though.

But yesterday my lower back seized up for no reason at all, and it's still a problem. Really hoping it clears again in time for my 30K race, especially as I'm giving someone else a lift there. In the meantime I'm still jogging little commutes, but not doing the taper tune-up tempos I would like to. Work trips tomorrow & Thurs anyway, so overall I won't get much running done this week.

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Joe .. when I'm outside I prefer to listen to the birds chirping and the cows mooing, not to mention keeping my wits about me with these whisper quiet battery cars!  Bad luck on the rain soaking. :|  
    Menn.. I actually find faster intervals/tempo 'easier' on the treadie as you just set the speed and keep up with it.  That's a storming tempo session BTW.
    Charlie.. bad timing with your back, I suppose you are already trying a variety of stretches etc to loosen it up.  Hope you make the start line ok.
    Had to wait in today for a surveyor (new windows) so banged out 10m on the treadie.  Just as well really as it's been a pretty awful day.  Tomorrow looks a bit better so will try and get outdoors!
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Joe - good that youve rejigged it, thats key.

Wardi - replacement windows, or in a new place? Interesting with a surveyor being involved.

A couple more grim weather running days since sunday, but 10 inc strides yday and 17 todayvticked off. Storm Dennis is on his way now.
  • Sounds grim Charlie. Fingers crossed it loosens up fairly quickly. Any use in getting a massage, although it will lighten your pockets.

Wardi - sounds idyllic. Guess that works an awful lot better with day running than night. Wind was right up for today's run so I couldn't keep my headphones in anyway.

TR - good grief, 17 midweek miles. I think I could have handled that today but the way you manage these things week in week out...respect.

12 miles today. Strava on the phone as forgot my Garmin so no stopping the watch for road crossings. An average of under 8mm definitely a bonus. Manchester an infinitely better running city than London.

Confirmation of a place at great north run through today. I know it's not necessarily a quick one but looking forward to the experience!
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    TR.. we didn't have a porch before so a new front door/porch (the latter to put soggy running shoes in!) plus a few new windows of assorted shapes & sizes.  The old ones (1992) are wood framed and starting to get draughty, slight leaks etc.  The surveyor has to find any potential problems - e.g. we need scaffolding for a big upstairs window replacement.  BTW congrats for getting two good days done in this weather, bring on spring! 
    A thumbs up for Manchester Joe!  Good to get a reasonably smooth MLR done.
  • I was feeling pleased with my 14 @8.08s and then along came TR...

Hope the back improves, Charlie 

I have a Bramley 20 place on Sunday with a view to the last 10 being PMP, but unless Dennis is much more gentle than Ciara I can't really see the point in the round trip...
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Wardi - understood, sounds good. My new roof and windows mean i can rest a bit more easy when storms like ciara come along, its just the fence panels this time, fingers crossed for next time (and the next time.....)

Joe, jools - theres always some twat running further...

Jools - i was offered a Bramley number (they allow on the day transfers), i quite fancied 20 at mp,  but crab and dennis (not a comedy duo) have put me off. I have the P and D 18 inc 12mp the following week anyway, and id like to try that Hans Solo anyway.
  • Think I might tone down my whinging about the weather for a while...

"A Chinese marathon runner under lockdown during the coronavirus outbreak has kept his spirits up by running 31 miles (50km) around his living room.

Pan Shancu from the city of Hangzhou completed 6,250 laps of track consisting of two large tables set up inside his apartment.

The amateur marathon runner said he “could not bear sitting down any more”, as he and many other people across China have been confined to their homes for weeks.

Pan posted proof of the feat on social media site Weibo last week, with video of his set up and screenshots from his running app that tracked his run."

• I think its fair to say that whilst he might not have coronavirus that chap is definitely ill. 

Weather forced me to do a 'Wardi' so warm up, 7 x 4mins at 5k off 100 secs and a 1 mile warm down on the tready for me yesterday. Havent quite made my mind up if I liked it or not but it was way better than being outside
  • 16 miles on Treadmill on Sunday, more mental then physical discomfort, rest Monday and doubles yesterday, both 10K. Today will be hill session on treadmill as not many hills near me unfortunately.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020

TR - 17 on a weekday, in the cold, in between major storms, would expect nothing else from you.

Nonstick - Getting it done and banking the miles is key.  Hope you had a good CD or DVD on. 

Joe- Based on my one and only run around Manchester, its marathon in 2017, I too will agree with you. 

Menn - Probably sore hips as well.  Suspect, more than a few of us on here would resort to this. 

Shame Sunday's races are under threat, my HM included.  A decent 11m along the local trail today, highlight being a 3m burst @ desired MP.

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    OO.. kudos to that Japanese chap though after 6,250 laps there would be a strong chance of err, hitting the wall.  Plenty of opportunities for a threshold session though. :)   Nice 11 miler there, hope it wasn't too breezy.
    Jools.. nice midweek MLR.  I guess you're watching the Sunday forcast closely but it doesn't look too promising anywhere ATM.
    Menn/Nonstick.. I hope it's not me leading you astray onto treadmill runs, nice work anyway.
    TBF I did get outdoors for 5m this morning as it was a bit blowy but pleasantly sunny.  However I did retreat to the treadie for the 2nd 5m of the day as the sky went black and sleet duly arrived. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    OO - its been a grim campaign at times, copped loads of soakings.

No treadmill here so i have no choice. Hopefully only around 6 weeks of possible weather beatings left.

Best day in ages weatherwise and i only had 7 or 8m scheduled. Back to the wind and rain tomorrow.
  • OO - Thanks, CD? Don't think I have one of those oldfangled things lol, Amazon play list, think it was up beat indie.
    Wardi - I actually do a few sessions on Treadmill but mostly hill or LT runs, longs stuff nearly always outside.

Talking of hills, did 8 miles last night with 5x4:00 hill repeats (Treadmill), session description was that I should finish feeling I could do no more, I certainly achieved that! 11 miles tonight
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Just seen that the Bramley 20 is now cancelled.  :o
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Wardi - good job i hadnt actually entered!

P and D 6m LT run this morning, tough on a tired and windy day. Ended up slower than my recent mp runs and i have 12m at mp next saturday (within 18), but its banked and we move on.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    I saw that the Adidas carbon shoe has been announced, to go with the Brooks version too. Will be interesting to see some comparisons done.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    I guess all the shoe manufacturers will be on the bandwagon eventually TR.  These carbon plate designs certainly look different to minimalist racing flats, the former racing shoe of choice!  Re cancellations my local Parkrun has a couple of newly arrived mini lakes on the course so I'm waiting to see if that goes ahead.  The nearby Wetherby course is right next to the river and is literally underwater - definitely off!
    Nonstick.. what gradient to you dial into the treadie for a hill session?  I don't use the slope facility on mine very often - it has 0-12% gradient available.  Tunes - I have a decent audio system downstairs plus another in the treadmill room upstairs.  Being old school I still use vinyl and CD's, never download or stream anything unless it's a youtube clip.

Much lighter winds today so got out for 10.2m in pleasant conditions.  My daily mileage this week has gone 5, 10, 10, 10 so a pattern seems to be emerging.  :|

• Wardi - I did 3 degrees, it was at 10K pace for 4 mins x 5, with short recovery, it's classed as "Moderately Steep Hill" in the P&D half marathon plan, I did some research and some were saying 4 degrees but 3 is all I can manage at that speed right now. We are in the process of getting planning approved for a house extension, this will give me a gym and planning on getting a decent treadmill then, mine are done at local gym right now.

11 miles tonight, very little wind and rain had stopped, was actually quite pleasant.

• Like the look of the Adidas. I have no magic shoes at the mo, so hoping for a 4% swing when I buy some😂. 
    Tready again last night for 1 up, 6@mp, 1@ hmp, 2 down, it was rammed and bloody hot in there. Was glad to get it finished. 1% incline for me
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Muddyfunster has recently done a fantastic - the definitive? - review on the Overdone it thread which is worth a mention.  He has found this very detailed Table. So you can see how your current shoe is categorised based on marathon finishing times/ Strava. For me, the shoe I normally race marathons in, Adidas Supernova is in the slow shoe category - unsurprising really as relatively heavy but plenty of bounce and support.  

Nonstick - lol, CDs' oh yeah, sometimes cassettes! 
    Menn - Nice treadmill sess.  Your 10m much faster than mine, as sore knees made running a tad painful so 10m yesterday average pace 9mm.  Still awaiting news on my HM, the wind is forecast to be 45-50 rather than 55-60 so fingers crossed. The organisers are making their call tomorrow.  Its a trail race so nice and muddy.   
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Wardi - that river will get topped up a bit more too, we have amber warning of rain for sunday now.

Menn - nice session.

OO - the full report had 4 graphs not sure from memory what they all are now. My rides are defo quicker than the Nimbus i used for Brighton, they are much lighter,  so i dispute that. But its the shoes at the top that matter. Rides are still training shoes not racers. I bought some kinvara the other day cheap but havnt tried them yet.

22 planned for tomorrow, looks like a weather beating!
  • My stiff back is better after some self-inflicted massage, but still not 100%. I'm waiting for an imminent email from the Stamford 30K race director on whether they're postponing for a week -- which would suit me well. I'll still do it if it's on though, as I'm giving someone else a lift.

As for the Chinese guy in quarantine -- his effort went viral. [Sorry.]
  • Now I love analysis, spreadsheets and charts but that's just too much info for me. Is it wrong that I don't even know what shoes I've been running in for the last 3 months? I'm in the Nike zoom Pegasus now (thinking if I wanna race in the 4%s it's useful to train in Nikes) and I am enjoying them I must say.

With a rare day at home and another weekend away coming up, I bagged the 18 mile long run today. 11.5 miles big loop at an average of 7.30mm and after a downing of a drink at home back out for 6.5 miles at 6.40mm. It was more than the schedule ordered and my legs will probably pay for it tomorrow but this has been one of my favourite ever running weeks. 46 miles racked up so far with another 16 to come over the weekend, all being well.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Joe - well done on the 18. Agreed with the nike idea, i wore my 4% for chichester 10k and they felf high under the arches, but i remember a pair of Pegs feeling the same last yr. I dont have any pegs on the go at the mo, but the 4% are back in the box for a while anyway.

24m av 8.01, weather is getting pretty wild again. 87m for the week.
  • I'd like to get some Vaporfly Next shoes but I bet they are too narrow for my wide feet, anyone tried the Hoka Carbon X?
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Joe - Good on you for doing the second 6.5m at a decent lick too.
    TR - Cracking fortitude, and all banked for no-doubt a dry and baking VLM.  Rest day tomorrow or not in the P&D schedule?  

My race is ON!  This is Cornwall different rules apply, so glad I decided on 8m this morning and not 18 as thought unlikely they would run the race with high winds and lots of rain expected and was going to do another 10 later. Aim is to  finish > 90 minutes to beat my 2016 time of 93 something. Its mainly a compacted/ rocky trail around the grounds of Llanhydrock, a NT property, with a notable mile over some squelcy fields. Looking forward to it. If not too wet, might add a few at the start and finish to make it 20 miles. 

Good luck to anyone else racing CW?