Sub 3

Comments

• TR - Check all colours, nothing on the site right now but no rush, might pop into the nike store near Oxford circus as I work near there.

runjoerun91 - Yeah, is bit strange, I am currently following P&D Half Marathon plan, I trust their plans as they have worked for me in the past. I am planning on Abingdon so will do there Marathon plan for that also.

mennania - I'll look out  at the Alphaflys, thanks for heads up. I imagine every brand is working on there own carbon plate shoes, will be spoilt for choice soon 

8 miles tonight with a 21:56 4 mile time trial, 3:24/km pace, super happy with that.

• MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Nice Treadywork Nonstick

Woke up with an aggravated Achilles where it connects to the calf. Nothing too serious but probably involve a bit of non running for a day or so - Its my own fault, had my first day off on Monday since 4th November.... Always happens.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    It's a while since I was crocked or niggled enough to stop Menn, though I always found it was quality/races rather than quantity that was the cause.  Hope it's a minor setback for you.
    R/Joe.. congrats on getting that 5m tempo section done, those are always tough.
    Nonstick.. 4m @ sub 5:30 pace is shifting, top work!

9.4m yesterday & 10.5m today.  Managed to find a sheltered path for today's run, took the edge off the wind & rain a bit.  I have an entry for a 10m race on Sunday, though I am now wondering if racing it 3 weeks out from my marathon is sensible.  In any case I might well bin it if the conditions don't improve, more strong winds & rain forecast for the weekend, charming!     
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Nonstick- sharp pace there, nike may release more next% after they have released the alphafly next week.

Menn - avoid rest days !

Wardi - thats decent mileage. 10m must be ok 3 weeks out ?

13m today for me
  • runjoerun91runjoerun91 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Wardi - Good back to backs. I would have thought the 10 miler would be fine. Maybe take a little bit off full pelt but still worth a good go. This weather can do one!

Nonstick - If you're capable of that pace I would have thought you'll smash Abingdon with some endurance. My parkrun PB is slower than that pace and that was over 10 years ago. I haven't got within 30 seconds since but I've hopes for later in the year.

Menn - Long period of consistency that. Fancy yourself as a bit of a Ron Hill? Hope it clears up soon.

Got a bit carried away today. Finished work at 4.30 so ran around Phoenix Park in Dublin at sunset time. Great place to run so ran 14 miles (rather than planned 12) and did 6 marathon paced miles in the middle which definitely wasn't part of the plan. But there'll be other days I just can't do that so I made the most of it :) Running is meant to be enjoyable after all...

• Good morning, did someone mention beer? 

Thought I'd see about getting the band back together. 
    Is the GFA start line 9 weeks Sunday time good for everyone?
    marvellous. 

Ive read back to beginning of February - taken notes and everything! 
    Was a bit rough seeing CD mention Tokyo, when I knew the spoiler already - good luck, (no bad luck) cos I assume you've done the training, on Sunday 

SJ London in the air? - its taken me 8 years to get back to do it - if you have the opportunity to I would advise to take it in any capacity you can.

OO racing in that weather - good man sounds awful - I postponed my long run til the Monday

Men 15 miles in 1.34 crikey thats shifting in training.

Nonstick 21.56 4 mile TT jeez, what are your targets?

Wardi, good man for keeping on (with the beers and the curry)

TR still cranking out the big mileage - good man  

RJR whats your MP ? Favourite time to run that for me at the mo later afternoon 

Vapors / Alphas, seem to be favoured on here? Ive got some in a box upstairs that I got as a present. They're staying in the box til I've hit the training I want and am in the shape I want - ie they're the icing not the actual cake.

Big mileage week on the cards for me, coming from postponing last weeks long run to Monday, and this weeks being tomorrow. 
  • Cheers WTGY - I'll be there in 9 weeks for sure.  Meanwhile my entire training block for Seville is complete: 4 days, 3 runs, total 15.7 miles.  What could possibly go wrong?

If you enjoy it it's fine, RJR.
  • Won't you be on the Champs start CD? I'm aiming to be there again WTGY. Would be good to have the company if only before the off.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • I had the option LMH, but my clubmate (also entered for Tokyo...) is off FGFA so I stuck with that option.  Ran off FGFA last year and did OK so I'm not sure there's any disadvantage over Champs.  Not since they got rid of the proper posh loos anyway!

I'll do Champs next year though, especially if I'm not qualified beyond that.  I might be the oldest bloke there!
  • Nice to hear I'm not the only one making that choice CD. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Hope Sunday goes well CD, a pug stylie build up !

WTG - i wondered when you'd show up? Have you been slacking or just not posting?

8m inc strides today. 45mph winds tomorrow so ill defer the scheduled 12m mp. I dont care what pace the LT runs come in at, but the mp runs are supposed to have consistent pace and effort.

Ive entered 3 10ks through May to July, in order to get the 4% back out and chase down my 10k PB before i get the Abo miles in.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    All the best CD, those afternoon temps in Seville should be enough persuasion to get a move on.  :)
    TR.. this awful weather is certainly playing havoc with training plans, Sunday looks a bit kinder up here. 
    LMH.. how are the knees holding up to the longer runs?
    WTGY.. good to see you checking in, I'd almost forgotten that you had a GFA from Manchester last year. 
    R/Joe.. I did the Dublin Marathon a couple of times back in the 90's and remember Phoenix Park well - it arrived at about 20 miles! 

As the wind forecast up here for Sunday morning has abated to 12-15mph I might as well line up and give it a go, inevitably there is also light rain in the forecast.  :|  By way of a mini taper I did 2 x 4.2m today and will keep it to a single run tomorrow.
  • WGTY - Hopefully your speed-reading is up to scratch. aiming at 6:30s for marathon pace. I think in the past I've limited my ambition, but going for it this time!

Wardi - looks like it's got a bit of a rise to it from any direction so must be good to crest the top even if you're cooked at 20 miles. Run well Sunday. We're all hoping for good weather. We'll CD doesn't need to hope, he can just expect.

TR - lining up a good schedule there. I'll be looking for some summer 10ks unless I can knock out a PB in the marathon run up...

Went for recovery swim over run. Friend staying tonight so we'll do a "gentle" 12 miler tomorrow and then the big 18 on Sunday. There are tests round every corner on the plan but I am enjoying the challenge.
  • Hope your forecast is correct Wardi and you have a good race. Had to take a day off after last week's long run as both knees were painful walking but as long as I can get a MLR and a LSR in each (or most) weeks I should get round comfortably if I can turn up sound on the day. It's been really difficult not just battling the elements but finding places to run - most of my usual routes have been badly flooded.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Wardi - good to be able to race tomorrow.

LMH - so i remember back at the start of the yr and you were going to have a knee injection, with discussions here re 4 to 6 weeks (?) to get back to it with possible cross training and maybe a reduced vlm build up.....wardi then said youd run BM, so were obviously back to it a lot quicker, and are back up to long runs and mlrs this week. Have you been on a reduced amount of running only training or were you able to cross train after all?

Wind, rain and a few hills led to a slow 22 (av 8.15) today. 83m for week.
  • You remember it a little incorrectly TR as we've discussed before, there was never going to be 4-6 weeks off after the steroid injection. I was always able to run though not race BM and I have been running with various amounts of rest days required each week to let the knees settle again after they have become too niggly. No cross training.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    I must have got you mixed up with someone else then, at the time of the injection they were told it might take 4 to 6 weeks to get running again. Good that it wasnt you anyway. What is their current thinking ? No cross training on the non running days ? Not even bike or swim ? Thats a shame. Fingers crossed anyway.
  • WayToGoYet - Primary target this year is to stay injury free, which would be a first, to  get a long period of quality training. My aim is to get a low 17m 5K, 35m 10K, 1:19 HM and sub 2:50 marathon. If I can achieve at least one of these, then I'll be happy. I've already entered Reading Half in April, I've booked Bristol 10K in May and Swansea Bay 10K in Spetember. Also will be entering Abingdon Marathon once it opens.

TR - Thanks for the info about the Alphafly, I'll keep an eye out, can't find anything right now. Nice millage by the way, specially in this weather, how do you squeeze it all in?

runjoerun91, wardi - To be fair, was on a treadmill so perfect conditions, I actully suprised myself with that one, good confidence booster, can't wait to do a race to test it out.

12 miles yesterday, legs were a bit tired from the time trail and the wind didn't help either, got a 6 mile recovery run planned for later and 17 miles tomorrow all going well.
  • TR - no, we had this conversation previously. If I didn't have the steroid it was expected to take 4-6 weeks for the knee to settle. I can swim but don't see the point, it's active rest rather than cross training and Id rather walk. If my knee is too bad to run then it's also too bad to bike etc.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Nonstick - i build my running week around everything else as best as i can, which means evening mlrs, early shorter runs or tempos.  My kids are grown up so i dont have to run around with. The weather has been testing, but im determined to suck it up as much as i can, i have no tready........i think nike will release more next% once the initial alphafly surge is over (next weekend). Their latest bounciest shoes launched on leap year day !

LMH - shame you cant find something aerobic when you cant run then. I dont suppose you can swim with a pull bouy even? Maybe a summer of shorter races after vlm would help? Who knows? Itd be less running time, so less wear?

All the best to CD for tomorrow.
  • Swimming does nothing for my fitness and aggravates my shoulder TR. I don't race very often as you know so aren't planning any shorter races. If I don't go sub 3 at London (which seems unlikely) I may try for an early autumn marathon. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    fair enough, see where you are after vlm. If youve been able to do long and medium runs this week thats good progress and theres still 9 weeks yet. Fingers crossed.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    TR.. over the years I've had about 3/4 cortisone injections from memory.  The physio always advised 4-5 days rest, no more time off is usually needed as the powerful anti inflammatory effect soaks in and works swiftly.  Two chums of mine recovered from PF fairly quickly after seeing the same physio for a jab.  BTW that 22 miler can't have been much fun, nice to get it ticked off!
    LMH..  on balance I think I prefer training in summer for an autumn marathon though having said that I haven't booked anything for autumn yet!  I said I wouldn't do York again this year as I've done it 5 years in a row.  I'll have to have a look at OO's marathon list for the end of the year when it is compiled and see if there is anything I fancy!   

As tomorrow's race is a 9am start and a 35-40 min journey I had a lie in this morning and didn't bother with the Parkrun.  Just as well really as it has been extremely windy all day, a steady 4m done on the treadie.  The wind is due to die down overnight and 10-12 mph winds are still promised for the race, fingers crossed!
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Wardi - i believe you, i didnt come up with the 4 to 6 weeks.......defo nicer to do the miles in the summer, but its harder to make the time......good that the wind is dropping off, we have 50mph winds again for tomorrow, probably just as well that i couldnt get a late Brighton 1/2 entry.
  • Hope you have a good race Wardi.
  • Good luck, Wardi!

The weather forecast promises that the wind will drop from 45mph to 20 around 10am, so fingers crossed that proves to be the case for my LSR.
  • That's the way to do marathons - enter 6 days before, 3 light training runs, boom!  2:37:58 officially, off a 50s positive split, and 1st V50 apparently. Getting quite warm towards the end (22 degrees at the finish) but mostly ok if you stayed in the shade.  Most of the 50s was lost in the last 2k, but up to that point it was mostly smooth going.  Beer open. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Cracking work CD, tapering is overrated, chichester showed what good shape you're in, so i was hoping youd go well. Enjoy the beer.

Backed up ydays 22 with a wet and windy 18 today.
  • Very impressive Cheerful Dave, well deserved beer.
  • Well done CD! Enjoy the warmth and those beers.