Sub 3

Comments

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    Wardi - nice, i was running this morning and something seemed different then i twigged that the sun had come out !......cant see as many miles in March, theres a couple of races in there which will affect weekend totals.
  • JoeB -- C O N G R A T U L A T I O N S  ! ! !

LMH -- Stamford was really well organised and friendly, with loads of marshalls, a good number of Portaloos and a nifty system where they gave you the next number on the desk when you registered, so no need to join a specific queue. I'd just dock one mark for having to slog round the (wet) playing field at the end, I really prefer very much to have all tarmac. Course-wise it was pretty undulating, but without any really sustained or stupidly steep hills, and all on road apart from that finish.

• selbsselbs ✭✭✭

anyone watch that BBC Panorama show on Monday night on Salazar?  Seemed pretty daming... 
  • Congrats other Joe. Sounds like an amazing trip.

No sun for me yesterday but serves me right for running in the afternoon. Pure showers dodging. Same again today. Cold rain and hail but it looks sunny outside now.

Had a bit more pain in the knee after Sunday's run and despite a rest day and easier day it came back with double pain straight after today's 12 miler. I've booked in to see the physio tomorrow. I'm hopeful that, because it only affects me post run, it might not require a huge layoff but clearly i'm not managing it in the best way I can. 

Selbs - I was actually a little underwhelmed by the show. I've done a complete 360 on Farah recently going from giving him the benefit of the doubt to now thinking he is at best completely naive. But I'm not sure the documentary added much to the debate.
  • Interesting. I think the failure of both the doctor and Farah to document the L carnitine infusion is suspicious. I think the fact it was sourced from Salazar's mate's house rather than anywhere official stinks: are they actually sure they infused L carnitine?! And I'm staggered that Farah wasn't tested until 6 days after the marathon: anyone finishing in a money position should have to give a sample on the day, if we're to take doping seriously at all. Although I accept any suspicions about the timing of the test would make ukad about as great as rusada which I very very very much hope and pray is not the case!
  • RJR where is the pain in the knee? best wishes with the physio. 

I got an early finish yesterday and took myself and the dog out for the late afternoon/evening/into night run 13 was lovely. 
    Might double up today. 
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    CD - Congratulations once again, text book. 
    JoeB
    - That's great news all round, congratulations to you and Katie.  Your normally a pacing metronome, hope normal service resumes at the Big Half.
    RJR - Hope your knee gets sorted.
    CW - That does seem a decent run out to me too on the back of a heavy week. 
    Wardi - Agreed with the point on Spanish marathons and the fact typically the sun and warmth is out immediately post-race just when you want it.  Malaga booked for December and maybe GC and Seville early in 2021.
    Only 4 days of running for me in the sunny Canary Islands due to travel and sandstorms, 43 generally slow miles for the week.  Relieved to get back has big delays at the airport but greeted with heavy snow showers on the drive back home. Looking forward to seeing March. 
  • WGTY - ITB...a running classic. But a slightly weird one in that it is only affecting me post run.

OO - Good to have you back. I can't ever seen to run quick miles abroad so not surprised your runs were slow. That's still a decent holiday mileage.

Physio is not too concerned. Can continue running but for a little while just need to drop the long runs which seem to aggrevate it most. Have been strengthening sporadically but need to be doing 4 times a week. So hopefully a month or so of maintaining fitness whilst strengthening the hips should see me right.

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    OO.. I think a sandstorm would be a welcome diversion over here as everyone is bored & fed up with the wind & rain!  I see the Malaga event has the same sponsors/organisers as Barca so I will put it down as a possibility.
    R/Joe.. good luck with the active recovery.

10m yesterday & a 7m+4.5m double today.  My local Parkrun course is partially underwater (including the entrance to it!) so I can't see that happening on Saturday.  Definitely the worst I've ever seen it. 
    The weather looks a lot kinder down south on Sunday than up here so I hope the Big Half runners go well.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    I see there is another storm coming this weekend. Should just treat myself with ronseal !

Easy monday and tuesday after a big weekend. Tried for the missing mp run early yday, but had to sack it off as i kept wheel spinning on the ice that was around on tbe wet lanes after the temps had dropped. 14m today.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Nike are showing 4% for £167 up to size 10.
  • Wardi - The sandstorm did bring 80 mph+ winds, to make you feel like home.  The UK may get the tail-end of it next week so you might see some of the Saharan sand.
    RJR - Thanks and that sounds good news.
    TR
    - It sure has been a tough time training for the Spring marathons. 
    Felt like a proper marathon training day yesterday, first time for a while.  A 6m/  10m double with the latter having a  10K progressive tempo session within it, starting at 6.35 and finishing at 6.17. mm.  Felt OK, not too hard. Then I get home to see the London marathon coronavirus statement and today the  Swiss Federal Government banning gatherings of more than 1,000 people until March 15, placing a ? over the Geneva marathon in May. 
  • saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Huge read back but life keeps getting in the way lately. 

Congrats to Joe and katie. Holiday sounded awesome and capping it off (see what I did there) with fantastic news. 

CD - Cracking run in Saville. Ticked all the boxes and no dramas. Perfectly executed. 

The usual suspects smashing it and one or two struggling as per this time of year. As always, best to both camps. 

WTGY (and others) - I've just deferred London as I'm in no fit state to even jog round. I hadn't actually entered Manchester either so no spring race for me unfortunately. 

After a couple of solid years where consistency certainly helped me improve race on race to 2:54 the training wheels wobbled before Christmas and then totally fell off just after. I got a couple of weeks into January but an awful 20 miler left me knackered and demotivated (not like me at all).

I possibly took too much time off after York, but in truth I needed a break.

Various reasons for this of course; new job, Mrs SJ struggling but nothing no one else has to cope with. With that being said I'm finding it very easy to barely run at all atm especially during the working week days. 

Using a HR monitor is a blessing and a curse at times. I know exactly how much fitness I have lost as pretty much all runs are taxing and slow. The slightest gradient pushes my HR up over MP and I can easily hit my threshold HR during a cruisey ~8min/mile paced run. 

I'll get back to it, probably when the weather improves a bit haha. 

Keep on keeping on folks. I'm still checking in and will enjoy the build-up for the spring races nonetheless. 
  • SJ - Sorry to hear that. Hopefully when the motivation returns the fitness will too. I was struggling pre xmas to do 8 min miles but after a few weeks of consistency the paces came back. Hopefully the same for you.

This weather is the pits. You can blame me. Ever since the building work on our house has started it's been cold, wet and windy. Looking at the weekend forecast I think its sensible for me to have the weekend off and focus on my stretches. Start up again Monday.

Fingers crossed for events surviving the corona. You can argue about whether the stock markets react properly to these kinds of events but they've taken a real battering the last few days which suggests they're taking the worldwide threat here pretty seriously.
  • Sorry to hear that you're struggling sj. It's very easy to underestimate the affect of life stress on our running. You'll get back to it when the time is right - you may have to wait a while for the weather though!

Sounds sensible rj.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Good stuff OO,  good double. I guess all big city races will be at risk

SJ - nice to see you. Rest up, find yr mojo and comebsck for the Autumn. As above, we might all get deferred !

LMH - how has yr week been ? Have you managed a long and medium again this week?

P and D said 800s this week, so i did 3 min reps, nice to be shifting a bit quicker, proper enjoyed myself despite the rain and cold.

Jorge battered long run tomorrow. Wouldnt be a long run without a storm to accompany it.

I will hang on to my Brighton place for a while longer.
  • I've ditched my recovery run today. I'm going to have to tolerate shite weather for my long run tomorrow so I took the view yet another 5 miler in shite weather would add little to my result in April!

Nice to hear from you, SJ. Mojo is a funny old thing. No point forcing things if you have life stress and the blahs for too long.
  • I feel the same Joolska - what's the point of taking a battering for the sake of a few miles in the log - it's not really going to do us much good.

I have TR.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Jools - I'll be out there with you.

LMH - good stuff, thats 2 weeks in a row then.
  • Good to hear from you SJ. Good that you can defer London. Hopefully you'll feel like training again in time to take advantage of the place next Spring. Don't have to be in tip top shape just fit enough to get round comfortably & enjoy the experience IMO.
    Have you seen reports of the Grand Brighton HM TR? Least they had a tailwind for that final 5K. Check out Matt Rees here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9_IOdR9I9E - skip the first 10:00 minutes unless you want to watch details of the week's training. Marders features in the race too btw. Your training has been a model of marathon specific consistency.
    Ticking over nicely this week with 13 inc 10K@MP,5+5 inc 10x440yds,5, 4+12,5 so far. Parkrun Saturday & XC Sunday this w/e. Unfortunately the final Gwent League in Swansea has been cancelled due to saturated ground & precious groundsmen however the final Glos League is still on as I type - rescheduled from November when it was cancelled due to . . . high winds!!
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Jooligan - youve been piling it in of late too.......yes i read a few reports of Brighton (including Rees).....the AB training group report said it wasnt a day for times and it looks like marders just raced for posn. Not sure how much of it was seafront based but if its like worthing you dont get back what you lost pushing into the wind.....yet some race times were ok, i spotted that a couple of folks i beat at Chichester both did 81min, which i thought was decent considering the wind.....im 40 miles to the west and it was real windy sunday.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Anyone see that Nike offered all 695 runners in the US trials tomorrow a pair of free alphafly, so it cant be claimed that folks qualified because of the shoes (as it was claimed in 2016).
  • Corr it's pretty bleak out there isn't it!

SJ - sorry to hear the mojo is waning. I've definitely gone through what sounds very similar to you in the last 12 months. Don't try and force it, just do what you enjoy and when it's time you'll get back into the swing of things.

Selbs - will look out for you tomorrow. I'll be in my trademark Chasers vest and flat cap. What kind of time are you shooting for?

Easy turbo session this morning followed by a run around a very wet and muddy Wimbledon parkrun - it was like swimming at times! Big Half tomorrow. Not expecting any miracles. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Tired 20 today after ydays reps, was quite a wind battering too. 351 for feb which is a record (pretty solid given only 29 days).  Fleet 1/2 in 2 weeks.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Nicely done TR, the windy stuff just makes it more tiring so extra brownie points due.
    Joe B/Selbs.. have a good run tomorrow.  I see the race is on the BBC website so decent morning viewing.
    Jooligan.. nice training going on, I assume you have you a spring marathon booked?
    SJ.. sorry to hear the mojo has deserted you, understandable when a variety of life issues get in the way.  Hope to see you back to it in our glorious spring! 
    Hope the long run wasn't too taxing in the wind Jools.
    LMH.. good to see you're still able to get the longer runs done.

Just a steady 6.2m today, I'm planning the last 'long' effort tomorrow as it's 2 weeks to D-Day this weekend.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Wardi - 4 stormy long run weekends in a row (inc both days for my back to back long runs last weekend), its getting a bit tedious now. .....good to be almost taper time, you should get better running weather in 2 weeks.
  • Hopefully Youll be back at it soon SJ.
    Hope you have good outing Joe/Selbs and all out on the LSRs in the storms.
    Must admit the weather has robbed me of my MOJO until last nights effort which was 10 at 6.50 -7mm but the terrain made it an effort fartlek. Was one of those 'this is easy' runs. Unfortunately the effort has aggravated the Achilles a tad so limping a bit today. Still a bit more R&R needed, enough miles a week to keep things ticking over so not panicking - just yet...
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Good to hear from you SJ, when the time is right the time will be right. 
    Cracking mileage TR, that's 119 more miles than me. 
    Go easy Menn, as you say tick over don't overdo it.
    Hope Joe and Selbs had good runs.
    LMH - Good to see you are getting the key marathon sessions done, what about their paces?  I ask as I am c10-15 secs per mile behind where I want to be. 
    Love the countdown few weeks to a target marathon Wardi, when all the training has been put to bed. 
    232 m for Feb for me, OK but nothing more than that.  Due to a range of domestic 21st century issues (problematic new playstation 4!) this mornings 20m became this afternoons 11m, with a pleasant run in the sun and not pelleted by this mornings hail showers.  Will try and find time for the 20 tomorrow.  Starting to get a tad concerned now on whether our Spring city marathons will now take place, be interesting to see whats decided on the Paris marathon due on 5/4. 
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Menn.. hopefully you should be ok if you monitor the niggle and keep a lid on the training.
    TR.. the Barca weather forecast is currently the same as it always has been on previous visits.. 10-12 degrees for the 08:30 start and 15-17 by finish/beer time, and the sun will be out.  B)

Did my long run on the treadie today, still blowing a hooley up here and I just couldn't face it again.  Managed to get the 'Big Half' coverage on the TV in the treadie room so cranked out 18.3 miles and quite enjoyed it TBH.  I did think of doing the last 4/5m outside but I had got into a 'zone' by then so just kept going.  Pretty sure I saw Joe B's flat cap running towards the finish.
    69 miles for the week, 279 for the month.  Almost cotton wool time for me now. 

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Menn - hope the niggle soon clears

OO - playstation interfers with running ! Modern family issues !

Wardi - good to be in the taper.

As OO said i guess big spring maras will be at risk. I still have my Brighton place, but i guess that would get canelled too if vlm gets cancelled. I have my eye on a small mara as contingency.

6m easy today, usually thats a WTFP run, today i was happy that's all it was as my legs were tired.