Options

Sub 3

Comments

• Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    OO A freedom parkrun is just a solo run round a parkrun course at any time of day/week. This was on a course just 5M from my home & I set off at 9:42 so apart from leaving the house I was following the suggestions for minimising transmission risks in the document.
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    Jools - Thanks for clarifying, that's an even better run then. Nice one. 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    OO - sounds like cornwall is a good place to be. There were 5 fatalities in portsmouh alone today,,so it shows how rife it is here, yet folks still arnt taking it seriously enough, i saw loads of oldies out today when i was running. It'll take families to lose someone to wake up and then its too late.......there was a wedding in Australia on march 6th,  2 wks later over 35 of the guests have it......one week ago here there were 6000 at bath and 70000 at cheltenham, we have done 1 day of proper isolation, we are in big trouble, italy is coming here.
  • Options
    OuchOuch - with a lot of the health care professionals I know it's fear of being in a situation they are not trained/skilled for. Many of those who will be re-dployed haven't worked in those sort of environments for a while. As my friend who works in an out patient department said to me 'you're probably as up to date as I am' - she hasn't 'nursed' anyone in years.

It's certainly not easy TR but you're right. It has to be done. Seems to be the olds and the youth here that haven't got the message.

Jooligan - will have a read of the article later. Like you I'm fortunate in that I can be out in relative isolation within half a mile of leaving home. I'll go mad much quicker if we're banned from going out.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Energy levels seem normal again.  Still pretty convinced this wasn't c-19, as the confirmed cases are very low in Bristol, but erring on the side of caution and staying inside for my last 2 days.  Boredom has reduced me to cleaning voluntarily, and I hate cleaning!
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Jools - sounds like you've not had it then, time will tell.

10m today. I will keep running whilst my family are ok, if it gets stopped then i have the turbo and garage gym, but no treadie.
  • Options
    You're allowed out Joolska as long as you keep your social distance.
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    LMH - That's right, scary times ahead for these brave people.  My wife won't be in these environments, though some of her friends and colleagues will be, as such a high probability she will contract the virus at some stage.  
    Good news Joolska.  Cleaning wow, you are feeling better!
    TR - 10m for me too, just easy peasy to make it a 30m week, which is fine as I raced last week.  It was lovely out there in the sun.  Parts of Cornwall will be very busy with people 'on holiday' and with working from home and the schools out, like this for quite a while, though a few conscientious holiday park operators have closed their sites. Luckily its pretty quiet where I live.  Suspect, Menns' home up the mountain could be the place to be! 
    Finding this board and RW site theraputic in such strange times, so keep on posting.  
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    OO - good man, sounds like some outdoor places have been rammed. Probably as it was sunny too, but hopefully people will better distance themselves or I'll be on the turbo in the garage.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Good health news Jools, have you tackled the oven yet?  ;)
    Jooligan.. great 5k effort, much harder outside of a race environment.
    Nice 10 milers OO & TR, aye lets just keep on with the outdoors running for as long as we can.

A bit short of time today but did a split road/off road 5m loop with Mrs Wardi, first time it's been dry enough in recent months.  The last mile includes a run through the grounds of the local brewery magnate's estate.  Sod's law the only person we saw on the whole route was the man himself.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Wardi - im sure youve paid a few ££££ towards his estate.

Hopefully we'll be able to run outside for a while longer, all the footage of snowdon, beaches and london parks didnt help, esp the gym equipment footage......i run very quiet lanes, can even run commute but there comes a point when its morally wrong.....i can do bodyweight and weight ccts in the garage and use the turbo.
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Steady on, Wardi, the oven can wait!

LMH: I thought that whilst potentially contagious because you had suspected symptoms you had to stay indoors, whereas you are allowed out but with social distancing if you are isolating because a cohabitant has symptoms?  Ah well, if I've been overly cautious there's certainly no harm done!  I can go for a run on Tuesday, unless all these prats going to Snowdonia and the Lakes and for their seaside trips is going to result in us being really locked-in...
  • Options
    Sod's law Wardi - I expect you were too fast for him to give you any grief though. Everywhere is getting nicely dry here too - I just hope I'm able to take advantage for a good while yet.

Joolska - I may have misread it then. I wish people would stop being so selfish.

We have a new distraction - yesterday we answered an urgent call for foster homes and bought home a three and a half year old ex-racing greyhound girl so I will no longer be quite so isolated :-)
  • Options
    CharlieWCharlieW ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    I haven't read back, but thought I'd just pop in and wish everyone well. (Fine here, keeping up my running but maintaining distance from others -- in fact I hold my breath if I pass someone else on the towpath, to protect them from my exhalations and vice versa!)

LMH -- if we get Spanish rules, your dog means you can still go out for a run -- congratulations!

Jools -- get well soon

I did a careful log [edit: and Strava segment] of an accurate 10K (of park loops) I do for the benefit of clubmates. If the weather is nice at the weekend I might even try a fastish training marathon for the hell of it. In general I seem much less ploddy than normal -- maybe it's the doubles which normally affect me so badly, whereas I'm generally running only singles now, working from home.
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    Wardi - Always the way, brewers tend to be nice people though.
    LMH - That's great news, will you be able to go running with her? 
    Just started homeschooling our 10 year old, not going great!
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Ah, Humphrey the brewery magnate is not the most liked person around here.  He tends to buy properties and leave them empty, he also disagrees and objects to everything that the local council propose.  However his gaff 'Oxton Hall' is a permissive tarmac path so runners & walkers welcome.  He always bids a 'good day' when you bump into him in the grounds.
    Charlie.. now the weather is favourable I hope we still have a bit of freedom come the weekend. 
    Jools.. our main oven is 'pyrolytic' and tells me when it wants cleaning.  Press a command and it heats up to 400 degrees so as to blast all the muck off.  Saves on elbow grease!
    LMH.. the new mutt should be a decent pace maker for you :)  As Charlie said when I witnessed the lock down in Barcelona dog walking/running was allowed.  Oh and I thought you might like this bit of whimsy..
    'The funeral will be held tomorrow of the scientist who discovered wheat allergies.  His family have requested no flours at the service'.
  • Options
    runjoerun91runjoerun91 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Congrats LMH, I'm not a big dog lover but I can see that a new dog will provide some fun around the house in the tough months to come.

It feels slightly wrong but I'm jealous of the people doing training marathons. It's amazing what you start missing when you're not running. 

OO - Is your 10 yo not taking you seriously? When was the Easter break meant to be? Must be coming up?

People thought we were crazy when we bought the house we're in given the size of our garden (big) but it's paying dividends atm. Spending every free day out there atm lugging things around. Hoping it's keeping me a little fit. It's certainly giving me an appetite. Naturally a huge relief that the sun has been out.
  • Options
    saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    LMH - well done on the new addition to the family. 

Joolska - good to hear you are feeling better. 

TR - your lack of optimism for the autumn calendar resuming is concerning, as in, you fear the current situation will not be better by then :(  

We had arranged to meet up with friends at Lyme Park (NT site) on Saturday but I had a sneaking suspicion a lot of folks would take the closure of pubs, cafes and restaurants to mean they had no option but to use the municipal parks and heritage estates. As it goes I was right. We cancelled on my friends and they said it was rammed. Queues to get into the car parks and ice cream vans doing a roaring trade. 

I did nip out briefly over the weekend and people were ignoring social distancing completely whilst waiting in lines at check-outs. Ludicrous. I do wonder if the apparent slow action from the gov is simply because as a nation we had to be drip-fed the advice. The panic buying is proof that humans are generally stupid. 

Mrs SJ isn't front line NHS but is pretty scared. She works at the Christie in Mcr and her office is next door to the newly re-purposed isolation wards. She is hopefully WFH with me today in our tiny box room which we cleared out at the weekend. 

I did go out running along my usual canal route over the weekend and whilst there were other runners, cyclists and dog walkers, it is relatively quiet along there. 

I have been considering a treadmill for some time and over the weekend fixed some leaking issues in my garden shed. I think I might opt for one now. I'm sure I have asked this before, maybe Wardi answered, but can someone recommend one that is fit for purpose please? 

Stay safe all. 
  • Options
    I hope so Charlie - that would be a real win/win for me and her.

rj - six months without a dog was long enough for me. I've had them just about all of my life.

OuchOuch - early signs are promising, she seems to be really good on the lead. We had a little jog during our walk this morning and she just trotted along next to me. It's been a while since I had an ex-racer and I'd forgotten how different walking them is. I'm sure she'll get used to it eventually but she's obviously used to walking as exercise and there's none of the usual stopping and sniffing.

Wardi - I really hope it doesn't come to that though I fear it will.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    LMH - good news on the new buddy, you'll have a companion ro walk with now. I guess you have to keep her on a lead.

CW - i hope we're still allowed out for you to do that mara, cant see it though.

SJ - sadly i cant see any big races going on this yr, we'll hopefully be allowed smaller races by Autumn.

12m here, i guess its a last hurrah unless lockdown occurs with running solo still allowed.
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    RJR - Its just so good to be outdoors isn't it, with everything that is going on, and the awful winter we've had. 
    SJ - Yep, some truly dreadful people out there, thankfully seem to a lot more wonderful ones. 
    LMH - That's fantastic, a racing greyhound, I bet she has some speed. My pooch went from running with me for a regular 8 miles to now a constant stop and start with sniffing, rabbit/ squirrel chasing (never catches them) and an aversion to passing people wearing green coats/ jumpers?
    TR - Think your right with the big races, hope the little ones survive. 
    Rare to call a run beautiful, but tonight's 10m was.  Along the local trail along the estuary which was calm and full, with the sun setting and casting fabulous colours on the water, quiet, serene and cool. Only saw a few people out, we eyed each-other warily. 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    OO - my doggy is more interested in chasing things so wouldnt run anyway.

Luckily we're still allowed to run, i run some pretty quiet lanes so hardly see anyone. Just an urban mile or so to get there.
  • Options
    TR - yep. I've noticed a serious spike in people out running in my local area over last few days. Boris name checking running tonight could mean we have a serious boom. 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Yes cos no parkrun and gyms closed no doubt. I rarely see others during my runs by work, so will be isolated from others.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    SJ.. best advice is don't buy a cheap treadie, they tend to be too short front to back and don't go fast enough for us proper afleets.  Mine has a top speed of 4:54 miling but I dare not touch that button at my age!  Ex gym and refurbished models are worth considering if you are looking for a bargain.  Mine is a Nordic model FWIW, around 90-95 kilos.  It does fold up and has castors for moving around when needed.
    LMH.. my BIL has a chest condition (COPD) and has just been told by NHS that he's high risk.  He needs 12 weeks indoors (or garden), min. 2.5 metres from my sister and separate bathrooms, towels etc.  No visits from anyone including their two sons.  It does show what we are dealing with and trying to prevent.
    OO.. sounds a lovely run!
  • Options
    OuchOuch - Grace used to run up to ten miles but I'm not sure Sammy will get that far.

Definitely on the lead for now TR but I have previously managed to train the ex-racers I've had to recall effectively.

Wardi - doesn't make much difference now - apart from the separate bathrooms (we only have one anyway) :-(

I'm interpreting the rules to mean that Sammy can have her exercise and me mine in line with this article:

Walking dogs in quiet areas is unlikely to spread the virus. Robert Dingwall, a professor of sociology at Nottingham Trent University and a government adviser on the social dynamics of infectious disease outbreaks, urged common sense, saying: "If you have a dog, take it out for walks – but don't stop to hang out with other dog walkers. If you usually walk down to the local convenience store, keep doing that – just pick a quiet time to do it."  
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    I used my exercise window for 6m easy today. Hopefully all the parks, proms etc will be quieter now and we'll keep being allowed out.

Ive had a couple of races cancel totally for this year. Probably wise given all the uncertainty. Any type of athletics inc club sessions etc has had its ban extended from end of April to end of May today.
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Wardi - That sounds tough for your BiL. 
    LMH - 10m is a good run, its a real joy running with the pooches isn't it?
    Mrs OO had her first run out today  hopefully for the Malaga half marathon in Dec, just a mile, little steps and all that. A nice and easy 5m for me and yes its very quiet outdoors/work wise too for me, which is not such a bad thing as its the end of the year anyways.  
    hope everyone is keeping mind,soul and body together.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Looks like a few folks are still trying to ruin the allowed out rules for the rest of us. Time will tell.

Gove said to do your usual amount of exercise time. whether i run from work or home its the first and last mile or so when i might see others, when im on the lanes i can run for miles on my own, just see the odd cyclist. Not sure wether marathon type training is allowed, but i guess its more about keeping away from others, as above its all the folks in the parks and on proms that are too close to each other.
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    TR - You probably can for the time being, whether you should is another question and my answer is probably no for the time being.  Copied from a post by a fellow marathon runner. 

Training hard takes it out of you, adding more stress to your higher than normal stress levels and reducing the effectiveness of your immune system to cope with infections😬!  Highly recommend making your runs shorter and easier, ideally so you end the run feeling energised rather than worn out! You may loose a bit of fitness, but that's ok, it'll come back, and there's no races planned at the moment, so keep it easy! You'll probably loose more fitness if you become ill anyway!