Options

Sub 3

Comments

• Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Good stuff running round the garden CD, hope you're not wearing the manicured lawn out!
    LMH.. have your knee problems responded to lower mileage?  
    Charlie.. good to see you are still knocking out the long runs in a 'Charlie lite' program of sorts.  Are your kids still studying at York?

I have decided to bench myself for a while.  A niggle in the glute/upper hamstring has been a minor annoyance for a month now and it flared up after Sunday's run so obviously isn't going to go away on it's own.  My first injury in 4 years so shouldn't complain.  Also considering the lack of up & coming races, marathons etc it's not a bad time to take a break.  In spirit with OO I should be ok on the bike so hopefully that will help to keep the weight off and fitness ticking over.  I am just trying to pretend I'm on holiday at home which isn't too difficult at the moment.  :#
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Feeling nostalgic!  Today, last year. 

Paris Marathon        14th April 2019                                   Time: 2.48.17 / 416th  Wava 86.2

I’ve long coveted the Paris marathon.  Training had gone well with my first 350m+ month in March and the hope was for a sub 250 time.  

We arrived late on Saturday - thanks Gillets Jaunes!! Pretty frantic as we dashed across Paris for my younger sons Paris marathon fun run around the Eiffel Tower which was great, got to the expo, had a good walk around central Paris and then had to find my older son who got lost on his way to his hotel!   A nice bistro a few glasses of wine and in bed at 11.30 to be awoken at 3.42 am!   A few weird hours in the hotel lobby to then join 50,000 others on a very chilly Champs Elysee with the Arc de Triomphe behind us for the start at 8.27.   I felt very lucky to be here.  

BANG, the elites and c800 other / corporate runners disappeared up the road from their wave start to leave an empty Champs de Elysee.  BANG, my wave were off and couldn’t resist an empty inviting Champs Elysee, so I and a few others led the wave through the historic centre with mile 1 coming up in 5.41 - opps!  My most memorable ever marathon mile. 

It steadied into 6.15 minute miles and from mile 2 started passing runners from the earlier wave, spending the first half of the race running around groups of slower runners and off the race-line but in time thankfully this wave thinned. Crowd support was good (not a patch on London), there was plenty of music bands on the course and conditions were good, a gentle breeze, dry and sunny but key it was cool/ cold.  Found a good rhythm, just knocking off the 5 k markers - decided my race would be 8*5 km chunks – in a surprisingly consistent 19.26, 19.30, 19.55, 19.40 and half way in 1.22.48.

As it was cold, I took 4 SIS gels as thought my body would burn up more energy trying to stay warm, taking them at 10m, 15m, 20m and 23m. 

I felt really comfortable and loved running this course and through the city.  The next 10 k passed the Bastille along the Seine, seeing Notre Dam (2 days before the fire!), the Eiffel Tower on the opposite bank with there being a few underpasses – which were pleasantly warming as I was getting cold.

(25k, 19.43   30K,  20.21   35K   20.34     40K  20.20)

I like to lock-in time, as when you do hit a bad patch or the breathing gets a bit tight, you can ease off and recover, so took the section from 30-40 K a bit easier as knew a 2.48 or 2.49 time  was on if I kept focused and positive so kept a decent pace and running down target runners ahead.  What was odd was in places  you shared the course with Sunday runners, scooter riders, cyclists and some cyclists filming their sons running the race – quite surprised to see this on such a major city marathon.  Also surprised at this point to see two sets of identical twins, who featured in the pre-race publicity, both walking to the finish at around the 32 and 35 k mark.

40K came  @ 2.39.20 in the Bois de Boulogne Park which I found to a really calming end to a marathon without thousands of over-excited screaming spectators, a slight hinderance being plenty of cobbles to run over.  I felt good so sped up a touch.  The finishing line came into view with the Arc behind it, an amazing and welcome sight, and crossed in 2.48.17.

• Options
    Unfortunately not Wardi. Hope you are soon off the bench. Maybe you could start on some serious yoga practice with Mrs Wardi?

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear the knee still isn't great, LMH, and of your injury, Wardi. 

OuchOuch: that's a lovely memory to have. Cracker of a race! Once the anniversary of VLM 2017 passes later this month it'll be 3 years since I did a marathon. Fingers crossed Valencia survives in December (I can't do the new VLM date in October).

9 miles with 6 X 1km. Still just outside 4 min per km, but a good workout.  And then 30 min of ankle/calf/proprioception work with my sports masseur over Zoom. The calves are definitely tired now!
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    CD - I like the round and round the garden (like a teddy bear?) 5k.

OO - greats days, didnt expect to read a race report for a while. This sunday coming would have been Brighton, 13 degrees and light breeze forecast.

Jools - dont think any of us will be making the Oct vlm date, next vlm is most likely to be 54 weeks time.

11m after work today.
  • Options
    MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭
    Wardi - Unlucky but as you say, a great time to rehabilitate

OO - Nice to read a report of someone enjoying Paris. 

CD - Enjoying your morning escapades - try Bruce Springsteens ' A long way home'.

Jools - Nice session

TR - consistent as usdual

8 with 3 x 1.5m at HMP. Either im broken or my watch is. 

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Menn - its got to be the effort that counts at the mo rather than pace.

11m more today.
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    9 miles this morning. Strength and conditioning this evening.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Good work all.  My conversion to cycling has been 19m yesterday and 21m today to get my legs used to pedalling again.  Mrs Wardi came with me today and her crank/pedal fell off half way.  Luckily I had my mini tool with me (oo err mrs) and managed a roadside repair which got us home.  I will attack it tomorrow with something of heavier torque!
  • Options
    Wardi - Definitely a good time for a break. It's still frustrating but knowing you can get yourself right, and then get back up to speed, and pretty much be no worse off is great!

Still some great work going on out there. We should all be thankful exercise has been preserved somewhat in the current situation.

Having a week off this week and so if nothing else i'm making sure I do my full strength routine. The other half has suggested I use my hour's exercise for a half an hour walk with her straight into a half an hour run. Sounds like a good plan to me so I'll hopefully start to see some consistency.
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Gentle 45 minute cycle ride for me this morning just to turn the legs over. Beautiful day for it, and as you say RJR, at least we are still allowed outside to exercise!
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Wardi - did your big tool do the job ?

10m this end today, we're still allowed out to run which is good news.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Yes indeed TR, and rather appropriately there were two nuts to tighten. :)  Nice miles BTW.

26m on the bike today, made the most of it as tomorrow looks a bit windy and Saturday wet.
  • Options
    My second lockdown 5k today, 18:35 so 2 seconds slower than last week. Walk for 20 mins after as a warm down. Pain in the knee is still there. Still only after running. Hoped the rest and every day strength work would work but I'm getting more skeptical about the plan.

No ITB issues during two marathon training seasons but then it comes on after one walk/run in the peak district a week after the marathon. Could I really have done so much damage that it's now affected me for over 4 months? I think I might have to join the bike club as I did last time ITB bit...
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Joe - not sure a 5k blast is a good idea if you are having issues.

10m.
  • Options
    MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭
    5ks and me dont get on - ever. I take longer recovering from a hard raced 5k than I do a Marathon ( that may not be true).

Wardi - you aint going to start banging on about watt outputs n that are you? :D

A couple of harder days for me - 9 hilly steady miles on Thursday and my weekly 5 hilly with 5 fast finish which this week was MP running (not that i know what pace that is at the mo). Done in 5.50s but felt more like a tempo. A few twinges today to remind me I am an oldy.
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    5 @ 5.50s is fast!!!

5 easy and then strength and conditioning. The rain had putvthe fairweather exercisers off and it was nice and quiet out.  Now being a cat cushion. 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Nice Menn, is your training getting a bit more intense?
    17m here today, gives me 71 off my 6 running days for the week. Going to bring a bit more quality in next week.
  • Options
    Damn Menn that is fast.

Begrudgingly I agree TR. I agreed to a little challenge with a few old colleagues to see who could improve their 5k time by the most in lockdown but clearly body can't hack that. 

Knee can't handle hard or long so pootle like 5 miles is where I need to be.
  • Options
    MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭
    Nice mileage as ever TR  - Ive had a new plan off the coach which is a toned down version of my previous training - 10-15 miles less a week,  mlr less than 10 so more aerobic, long run at 15 - a week and more recovery but maintaining a couple of quality sessions. Speeds im running at are also circa 5-10 secs a mile slower than previous efforts. That said I have a total sod of a run next weds - 2 miles at hmp then 5 x 5 mins at 10k off 60 secs. Might try and find a track for that I can use for that one.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Sounds good, and puts you in a good place to step back up. Good idea to knock a bit of length and pace off all round......similarly here, i can add sundays back in, add some miles to long run and mlr and im back up to full bore, will bring in the odd session and temp now.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Menn.. no nay never, I do have a decent bike but I'm a social/casual cyclist - I don't even bother with clip-in pedals for example.  I'm currently ticking over around 20-25m a day to try and stay fit.  Nice pace in that workout BTW.
    TR.. full of admiration for the miles you are clocking not knowing when you can put it to use.  Lets hope we can get back to a race or two late summer/autumn.
    Jools.. yes a bit of adverse weather does tend to deter the weaker willed part timers, thankfully no rain here so I did have a dry if chilly ride.  
    R/Joe.. very frustrating for you.  ITB problems are usually due to tightness of the tendon but it can be caused by other muscle imbalances.  Just a matter of finding out where/why.  :*   

I reckon the last 6 days of no running are working as I'm about 90% ok now.  I won't run again until I'm certain the problem has gone - one of my favourite mantras is 'never put a time limit on an injury'.
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    Good work team with notable mentions to Mennania for that speedy 5 @ 5.50 and TR for clocking up the miles.  But all good that we can all go out and do something. 
    RJR - Just keep that knee active with some runs, and manage a slow recovery.  I am running with a painful knee - and often do this - but its getting less painful as time goes by and though I know ideally I should stop and let it completely recover, that's not going to happen really. 
    45m for the week, highlights being 8m with 6@6.30 yesterday which felt easyish and bumping into my running mate by chance this morning on the local trail and enjoying a few miles together.  A few cycle rides too so a good week.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Wardi - you are the master at giving yr niggles enough time, freat restraint........races will come back, ive got loads in 2021 due to them all being rolled over. Hopefully we'll be back to it by Aug or Sept even if its smaller races only.

OO - 6.30s is tasty, no tempos here for ages, will get one in this week.

SPO has a knee issue at mo, so i was excused walking with he today and bagged a bonus 10m run.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    I suppose that's a Brucie bonus for you TR, good weekend miles again.
    Best of luck with the knee OO, always difficult to know what to do when you're not totally crocked!

Another 20m on the bike today, a bit breezy on the outward section but at least it was a few degrees warmer than yesterday.  I might try a short run in the next few days to see if the niggle has calmed down. 
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Well done everyone for staying motivated to get out & train. Speedy recovery Wardi & RJR. Certainly not worth rushing anything in the current climate
    I've been lurking rather than posting but enjoyed reading along.
    I've got myself into reasonable shape running 10+ v hilly miles a day for the last 9 weeks including some segment fartleks & a freedom parkrun every Saturday so . . .
    As you may remember I was meant to be racing Brighton Marathon today so decided to solo a double out & back route along the Wye Valley. It’s relatively flat & almost 50% tarmac with the rest a gravelly cycle track. I ran it once as a HM on Wednesday in 1:43 which had felt ok but I was aware that the effort level was probably unsustainable for a full repeat without at least a token taper hence ‘only’ doing 7, 7 & 6.5 the last 3 days. Albeit that included well over 2,000’ of climb & my fastest 5K in a month  :D 
    My lovely OH, Sash, set me off, organised the household to provide water, gel & support stations along the route & gathered everyone together for a proper finish. 🥰 

The skies were overcast & I had a following wind. I got to the 1st turnaround in 50 minutes. Halfway back to the start the sun was shining brightly & the support crew had arrived so I was able to dump my gloves & buff, take on much needed fluid & a gel. Got to halfway in 1:39:30, 10s drink/feed/kiss stop & I was flying back downstream with the wind at my back again. Reached the final turnaround in 2:29:07, 8s for drink/gel/kiss & I was off on the final leg. Held pace til a slight fade in the final 5K after a tiny uphill. It was getting warm by now & the headwind wasn’t helping. I was also struggling with the gravelly, flood damaged cycle track by this point. Clock was on 3:21:1x when I completed the Marathon according to GPS but as Brighton always comes out at 26.4 I’d factored that in when deciding on the turnaround point. Finished back on the bridge to cheers, bubbles & congratulations in 3:22:44.  B)  

Happy to run a decent marathon for the first time since Autumn 2018 after some disappointing results last year. A goal was to dip under 3:20, B was 3:29, C was 3:36 & run the whole way.
    Decent end to an 83M week with 4,500ft of climb & a 3 day ‘taper’  :D 
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    Wow Jooligan that's a very good marathon in its own right but on the back of high mileage weeks, the current circumstances, on your own and on a cycle track absolutely incredible.   Your in great shape at the moment.  Great photos too.  Fantastic, well done.
  • Options
    saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Fantastic Jooligan! Great to get something out of the training and sets you up nicely for future events with that base to build on. Great that everyone got into it too with the support. 

Menn - flying along nicely. 

Hope those with niggles (including Mrs TR) see some improvements. Frustrating but the best time to get them, if there is a best time, with not much on.

I took delivery of my treadie at the weekend. Built it successfully and have done a couple of 10k runs on it. Seems fit for purpose. Needs a wifi connection as it's all integral to the iFit ecosystem. I wont be subscribing so its limited in features but I can adjust speed and incline so that's good enough. Mrs SJ and mini SJ have done a couple of runs too so hopefully it gets decent usage. 

I think I almost reached 50 miles last week which is biggest week since marathon training stopped mid january. Going to try and be consistent if nothing else over next month or two. 

How windy is it?? Being blown all over the place which meant I cheated and stayed in doors yesterday haha

Anyone else been tested for covid? That's not a pleasant experience! Myself and Mrs SJ negative so some peace of mind. Just got to not go anywhere or speak with anyone !
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Nice mara, Jooligan.

Good news on the dreadmill, SJ.

8 miles with 10 X 2 min on, 1min off this morning. Quads were very heavy so a bit of a trudge.

Berlin has gone, so who knows if VLM will really happen in October. It's starting to seem unlikely without a vaccine and mass vaccination having occurred.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    SJ - good to see the family all using the tready.

Jools - similar here, 10x 3min (10m totall.

Vlm has very little chance of going ahead, Brighton too i guess. Germany have said no GT 5000 participant events until late Oct, we'll see if we adopt the same.

Was a bit tired on ydays 11, but a quick count up gave me 81m in the previous 7 days, todays 10 was a slightly livlier legs.