Sub 3

Comments

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    Wardi - good news on the 10k. Nice tea plans, we just had tea and sandwiches on the drive, amongst the bunting. Other neighbours were out there too. The police came through making sure it was all correctly distanced. I have some San Miguel and some of the Carlsberg in the fridge for later.

Menn - good session that. P and D would be pleased with you as a M50, its good for raising your LT, i should get on aome harder work soon. What beer did you get ? Its an essential foodgroup in my world!
  • MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭
    Wainwrights, Golden Hopper, Astrella, Sancerre, Pouilly fume and A bottle of fizz. We dont drink generally so im not sure what possessed me today. I did get a few alcohol free bits n bobs so not so bad.
  • runjoerun91runjoerun91 ✭✭✭
    Lots of people out on their drives or front gardens yesterday. most obeying the rules but some definitely not. it's annoying to see.

Another cycle Thursday and spot of gardening yesterday. feeling achy today. looking like a week of no runs.

Not a beer guy but have done plenty of experimenting with cocktails in lockdown. they're testing pretty good but they've also got me lying in til 10am...
  • MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭
    Hopefully it will settle soon RJR.

8 mile bimble mainly off road up the beautiful nant y ffrith this morning, has to be my most enjoyable run for ages.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Menn - plenty of beer options, nice. I had to google todsys run route, looks nice, apparantly only 4 hrs away in the jam jar, so cant see me doing it myself.

Joe - hope you can find a path to some running consistency soon.

16m here to complete my bingo card. Legs are toast,  had to grind it out.
  • MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭
    Good work on the LSR TR. Taking a break tomorrow I guess? Been nought a bottle of Spitfire GA. Seems rude not to drink it this weekend.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Im hoping to start phasing back in a shorter run on Sunday's, SPO hasnt mentioned me walking with her tomorrow instead of running this week, after tomorrow i should be allowed to do both.......defo a good idea to drink that beer, ive had more non running days than non beer days in lockdown.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Nice work getting the full house done TR, a hot one today.
    Menn.. sounds like a lovely route.  BTW if you're tippling Pouilly Fume & Sancerre you obviously have expensive tastes  :)  My sister always asks for a bottle or two of Chablis for Xmas.
    Joe.. might be worth getting checked out when you are able, seems strange feeling achy & fatigued when you're a fit athlete.

27m on the bike today, nice conditions - light winds & warm.  Looks like the last warm day for a while, tomorrow is a bit of a come down with 8 degrees & 20mph winds!  
    A Cornish red wine is on the menu tonight, Trevibban Mill Black Ram.  Are any of the South West lads familiar with this one?
  • Seems I've been doing similar to others the last couple of days - lovely ride yesterday, long run today with a couple of bottles of Doom Bar in between.  Nice.

Today's run was the latest golf course double, Kingswood and Surrey Downs.  They're next to some of the more expensive private estates in Surrey so it was good to find them open and accessible. 17 miles in all to get those two.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Nice work folks, top weather for cycling.

Wardi - no idea on that wine.

CD - ooh, i like Sharps Doombar, but i like Sharps Alantic even more.
  • saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    I've been trying and failing to keep my beer intake down recently. No chance of shifting some excess ballast if I dont start making some changes. However, reading the thread of late has got me buying more than recently. Tastes so good in this weather. 

Menn - sounds like a real rave run. Always nice to have a run where you realise why you do it. 

RJR - Defo some abusing of the rules yesterday round here. Apparently one street on the estate proper went for it with lots of families from different houses mingling together. My neighbour seemed to suggest she would have preferred our street to be more like that. 

Cocktails sound good but can creep up on you. I am enjoying the extra sleep as well. Annoying with no runs but you're still doing a bit of other a activities. 

TR - as others nicely done on bagging the run today to complete another solid week. I note some club mates have been doubling for past two weeks... arguing that the rules were open to interpretation and unenforceable in law anyway. I guess tomorrows  news as you say will make that point moot. 

Wardi - nice day for a cycle. I've seen so many cyclists today, not least many groups on mtb on the canal heading for the hills. Defo all from same household. Wine sounds good. Pizza saturday has been replaced by curry saturday by mini SJ during lockdown so will wash down a nice balti with some Corona I got on the cheap.

CD - golf courses sounded lovely. Nice that you can get a decent long run in out of two so close together. 

I opted to do my longer run today as well due to the forecast. Decided to head over to a few hills 5k from my house on the edge of the Peak Disttict. Awesome day for it although got very hot and had to stop to buy fluids on way back. 26k all in and raising the pace all the way home dodging aforementioned mtb cyclists on the tow path. 

• MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭
    Wardi - yep, logic was (is) that as I rarely buy booze we can go the posher end and it was bought to be consumed over the BH w/e. Both remain unopened in the fridge. Must admit I am a chardonnay chap myself but the missus is SB.

Nice mixture of miles on wheels and feet going in, sounds like a few had a decent one yesterday SJ.  

The Welsh government took the brakes off on exercise yesterday and it was busy round here, probably settle down now people are free to go out they wont feel like they are missing out so will go back to watching cr*p on the telly.

Appreciate the concern Wardi but I'm probably giving an impression that the gardening is not quite as physical as it is. I moved 500 bricks around and maybe 20 huge slabs, some of which I could barely lift. So my body just feels like it's been to the gym for the first time in a long time. Nice work on the bike; you're doing the sort of distances that will definitely keep you ticking over nicely.

Sounds like a cracker SJ. No surprise on the fluids either, it was a scorcher! Annoying re people running doubles. It shouldn't always just be the law that dictates your decisions.

Excited by the prospect of being able to exercise more than once a day. One run/cycle and one walk would definitely help me balance the plates. So that's all I'm looking for from tonight's address. Fingers crossed!
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    SJ - doubles might have been justified by the laws being unenforceable, but its not morally right, although as ive saud many times its more about the amount of isolation you can keep to when you run really. Ive run the same quiet lanes for weeks. Curry sounds good, my lot arnt so keen since my eldest moved out, he was always a curry allie.

Menn - hopefully I'll be allowed to walk and run next weekend. Since folks have been able to go to B and Q, burger king etc folks arnt so desperate to exercise as their means of going out.

I did 10 today to go with my 11 to 16 to bring up 91 for the 7 days.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Not far short of a ton there TR, nice work - was it a bit windy down there too?
    Joe.. cripes that's a lot of heavy labour for a skinny athlete, not surprised you're feeling a bit battered.  I do have one of those stand up trolleys with inflatable tyres which I use for lugging heavy stuff around.  I don't trust my old bones with heavy weights anymore!
    Menn.. the pink champers had been sitting around here for about a year so VE day seemed a good excuse to drink it.  Nice to have something chilled & at the ready.
    CD, SJ.. nice long runs in the bag on a warm day.

I got out for a breezy & cool 7.5m today, that totals 5 runs & 2 bike rides this week so progress of sorts.
    Amazed at the difference a cool day makes, I only saw one cyclist & no runners today where there were loads of folk out yesterday.
    The Indian takeaway beckons again tonight, yum.    
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Wardi - quite breezy, got stronger as day went on. I had finished painting the fence by the time it was strongest. Nice one on the indian tonight.
  • @joe I did my lower back in 4 weeks ago carrying a bag of potting mix round to a neighbour... I really hope you're just feeling achy today, I was frozen up! I'm back to 100% now but had to do 3 virtual physio sessions on skype to get me moving again. In summary, a good lesson for me that what you could easily do in your 30s, you may not always be able to do in your 40s. One I seem to relearn about twice a year.

I have sort of restarted my London marathon training focus and put in a comfortable 16m yesterday in the cooler, more breezy conditions, much nicer than Sat to run in. 55m for the week.

• CharlieWCharlieW ✭✭✭
    Glad to see people ticking along. I crocked my back slightly attacking the compost bin with a shovel -- dangerous business this lockdown. OK now though.

I did a virtual race -- European Masters 5K: https://data.opentrack.run/x/2020/CHE/emvrc/

I clocked 18:27 with no wind this time, which totally maxed me out. That's in line with last year's parkruns. I made a special effort to contrive a course with no sharp turns, but included a loop back round a roundabout so that I could finish more or less where I started (a requirement, but not  aquantified one, so I probably worried about it too much).

It's open until 21 May. And they're planning to do 10K and HM events later, which would suit me better.

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Good to see you are mobile again TGO, hope the training is less eventful from now on!

I've decided to defer my Barca marathon place (25th Oct) to next year's event (14th March).  It is the short-medium term uncertainty of the covid effect on travel, training, tune up races etc that have persuaded me to do this.  Unlike London Barca don't charge for deferring; also no flights or hotel booked so nothing lost.  

I'm getting out for a few miles this afternoon, lighter winds than yesterday so might feel a bit less chilly.
    Cooler conditions here too, had to pop the heating back on ! 

Went out for 45 mins last night but kept rolling along the tow path... most pleasant but very pedestrian in terms of pace ~8:30/mile for 9 miles. 

The middle distance coach at Sale is trying to keep everyone motivated by emailing weekly sessions. I might give the tempo stuff a go as I enjoyed last weeks 20 mins up on my toes. Tempo pace is currently 3 hour MP so nothing to right home about. 

Anyone heard from LMH? Hope shes doing ok. 

Wardi - sensible approach re Barca. I recall some funny looks when I pulled my planned trip Budapest this summer for the F1 back in Feb... saved a ton of hassle. 

CW - good stuff on the virtual races. I hardly race at all but the lack of them has me wishing they were on. I even found myself looking at off road shoes with a view to possibly tipping up for some fell relays, were they to go ahead in the autumn. 

TGO - good news re the back. Good that you could sort it with virtual assistance. 

TR - your annual mileage must be really racking up now. A serious cake being baked for some races in the foreseeable. I'm finding some consistency finally this year but I wonder if I've lost much from previous 2 years. Hopefully a focussed campaign gets me back going where I left off. 

I have had an achy left foot/Achilles since before York last October. It doesnt prevent me running and I dont notice it when running once warmed up. Those first few hundred metres I can definitely feel something. I've been doing some calf raises trying to strengthen the area but so far nothing has been resolved. 

During this lockdown my company has paid for online yoga via zoom which has highlighted how rubbish i am on one side. I know s&c is the way to go but i just cant seem to fit anything in. I guess the yoga is at least an attempt to introduce something. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    TGO - good one on the refocus, no doubt wasted on vlm, but hopefully they'll be something else smaller as an alternative.

CW - heard of a few virtual races, i guess you have to submit a photo of your gadget display or a garmin file?

Wardi - good idea, you wont be able to get there even if it takes place.

SJ - there was a frost here, but yhe heatimg was turned off weeks ago. Good idea re the club tempo.  I need to switch to some quality somewhere along the way soon......despite lower mileage, i still bagged 300m gor April due to no taper. If we dont race i might mske the 3660 required for the 10 a day av.

11m easy today.
  • MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭
    SJ - I suffer with the achilles - the calf raises and particularly drops have helped me get to a managed state. I also ice my calfs and run a piece of ice up and down the Achilles itself and massage them when im sitting on the sofa of an evening. Still get up like a 90 yr old first thing in the morning though.

CW - looks interesting that, like you I would much prefer the middle distances.

Wardi - makes sense in this climate

9 steady for me yesterday with 3x 1at MP - the last of the 3 at MP felt more like a sprint.  A nice short and super easy 5 or 6 for me later on.
  • CharlieWCharlieW ✭✭✭
    TR -- I've done a couple now; the road relays wanted a Garmin or Strava link; this Euro one I think would have allowed a screenshot of some other gadget (not sure now); our club is doing one where you can just submit a time without any kind of link, so if you had a known distance you could do it with the trusty Timex.
    Have you seen this video before TR? I know you are a Jonesy aficionado too. 

10k road race in 1984 :) 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LryCd1p94ow
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Great to see the fast boys from that era SJ, and I remember how short those shorts were!

10k this morning, raining when I set off so donned the rain jacket.  Sure enough inside 2 miles the rain stopped and the sun came out - the jacket ended up tied around my waist.  A bit chilly though so looking forward to a promised weather warm up from tomorrow.

I see Marders had a trot out at the weekend - London to Richmond Park with a few loops added on.  In total  he clocked 40.42 miles @ 6.22 pace, and that isn't a flat route. :o
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Menn - still going well.

CW - cheers, i could measure out a route, but im actually about to treat myself for my birthday (jonesy will dispair of me).

SJ - hadnt seen that one. Go look up the 10k track race where he chases down to win in the final straight.

Wardi- jacket ? Mind you it was cold again here today. Marders has been doing 140 to 150 mpw, but doesnt have his usual 1/2 or full mara every weekend.

12m tonight.
  • ToroToro ✭✭✭
    Morning campers, long time no see.  I hope you're all well.  Nice to see the usual suspects still smashing it out.  Since the start of 'Iockdown' I got a bike trainer and have been chatting on Fetch to get away from the screaming elsewhere.  Doing cycle sessions with Gobi Tue/Thu. Anyway, stay safe etc... 
    I've heard on podcasts and the like that most ultra runners don't run much over marathon distance and instead just run a lot of back to backs. Looks like he's running over marathon distance AND back-to-back. Crazy.

I like the look of the virtual races but they're better in a club context and unfortunately I'm currently clubless.

9 mile run yesterday at a ploddy pace. Had a day off booked today so did an out and back cycle to Stratford-upon-Avon. Lovely morning for it but it has completely wiped me of energy. 45 miles in 3 hours.
  • MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭
    I think I might look at doing one of these ultras one day - Dragons back looks incredible and starts just down the road from me - however it ends almost 300km away!!

Still covering a fair bit of ground RJR

2m at HMP, then 20 mins of 30secs at 3k( well fast as you like in a controlled manner subject to wind and gradient) 30 secs float and 2m at HMP to finish (90 secs between sets) made for an interesting session yesterday -  the final 2 at HMP felt easier than the first two - probably due to the fact that it was slower than the previous 20 mins effort. Unlike Wardi I had full Sun as I chose to do it at 1 in the afternoon.
  • ToroToro ✭✭✭
    Mennania, I'd recommend looking at race across snowdonia.  The best bits of Days 1 & 2 without going south of Mach (and you avoid the Terrens, possibly the worst hills)!