Sub 3

Comments

• OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    Menn - pretty speedy run that.
    Yes looks like London and Geneva, I've entries for both, will both cancel for Oct 4. 
    CW - Think I'd feel the same. 
    9m coastal path run Constantine Bay to Trevose and back again. Top off, glorious, plenty of people enjoying the beaches. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Wardi - hopefully you'll get the fizz you need.

SJ - im going to stick with the tempo in the long run for a few weeks, it was a jice change.Unsurprisingly, the gadget is still in the parcel box unopened, ill get to it sometime later in the week. I might have some pace info next time i do the 3min sess. My virtual training partners quote stats to me, i might quote some back.

OO - i still think we'll get some smaller maras, i still have a North Dorset place, and i have IoW option, theres cash prizes for AG records, m50 is around 3:09, but its not flat.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    TR - I do hope so, I do need the race atmosphere/ prospect.  There are still plans to run a local HM in August which is a fastish course by Cornish standards and I've an eye on the Dartmoor Marathon on Aug 29 which should be a beauty.  An AG win is a good incentive. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    I had the same end of June update message from Brighton today, im expecting that to get cancelled too. Im not investing mentally in any maras till i know they are on, but im hoping to race a smaller one or two.

Day off work today, spo wanted me to go walking with her earlier, bonus was i got to run at 11am when it was nice and warm, lovely stuff.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    31.5m on the bike today, nice conditions.  I did pass by the treatment centre where my physio works, no signs of life or notices of intent yet.
    Looks very windy for the next 2-3 days so most likely will run if I can grin & bear it!
  • runjoerun91runjoerun91 ✭✭✭
    Nice riding Wardi. Hopefully physios are open to fix ailments soon. suspect a few people will have been overdoing it in lockdown or running in wrong shoes and might need some help!

Cracking ride today. Cycling is great in the heat as the constant breeze makes it feel much cooler (you don't want too much breeze though. mapped out a route pre ride then mid ride realised I could probably do it in just under an hour. alas the hour hit 500m from home but I really enjoyed the target.
  • MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭
    Nice to see your preparing for mental battle with the gadget TT :)
    I like the idea of getting out on the bike but doubt Ill ever get the time to do both running and riding for a while.

Ran a 5k TT on the virtual race Charlie W posted up round the local school grass track last night instead of a 5k pace session. 15.47 scores on doors. It was a lovely night for it bar a stiffening breeze which makes my pace chart look like teeth on a worn saw.

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    Top wearher for cycling.

Blimey Menn, that was rapid ! You are in good nick already.

8m easy here
    Only the 8 TR? Not a 10 mile minimum man anymore?!

Menn - that's a sharp pace! Accurately measured i'm guessing? Couldn't hang with that pace for more than a few hundred metres!

8 miles today. Fancied adding a bit of structure so aimed to run first 6 miles 10 seconds quicker than the last. It's a good lesson in pacing, one which I failed even with the garmin! (7:37, 7:20, 7:07, 6:50, 6:34, 6:08)
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Menn.. cracking time trial!  That would win my busy local park run most weeks, not sure about the Armagh 5k though.  ;)
    Nice progressive run there Joe, as long as you weren't struggling as the pace was wound up no harm done.

46mph gusts here from early on.  Chose an out & back tree lined local trail which does give some shelter from the elements.  Worked ok until I emerged from cover and had to do the last mile straight into the wind.  6.6m done.  Similar weather tomorrow by the look of it. :/
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    You dont run much joe, but when you do you dont mess about ! That run had some pace in there..........im having a more varied few weeks, this week has been  7, 15, 8, 10 inc reps, 8, 8 and then a long inc quality tomorrow, so 3 key runs.

Windy here too Wardi, nearly lost my cap a few times, and then copped a battering on a coastal path walk. No leg issues ?
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    :o 15:47 on grass Menn! You're flying.
    Bit enthusiastic RJR but a cracking progression nevertheless.
    Good to hear it's all manageable Wardi & you are keeping fit even if it is less than ideal.
    Sounds perfect OO.
    Maintaining my regular fare of hilly MLRs, some long hill efforts & even did a classic 8x1K session last 2 weeks. Skipped this week's session in favour of a virtual trail 'race' in the heat of the midday sun!! 7.5M & over 1500' over 4 climbs. Good fun
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Not too comfy thanks TR.  When I got home I gave it a blast with a hand held ultrasound device from my treatment locker; that has calmed it down for now.  Much sympathy, the wind always seems worse on the coast!
    Yeah I should caveat my run as well by saying it was into the wind on the way out and win behind on the way back.

It's only 2 months since I ran a whole half at that final mile pace. With the 5ks i was doing a month or so ago i've kept the pace in my legs even if I couldn't handle any distance. TBH I do enjoy getting a move on. Some runs I try to run 8 min miles but my body seems to think 7:40 is a cruising speed.

Sounds good TR. I was thinking out on the run that even as i try to slowly build the mileage 3 'quality' sessions would be good. Some of them can be on the bike to keep the legs a bit fresher, like my ride yesterday.

Nice run Wardi. Sympathies on the wind! I was ducking branches today.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Wardi - annoyingly not fixed yet then........it was dry, warm and light though to run and walk in, so a bit of wind isnt a big deal, although it will annoy me when i try to get a shift on tomorrow.

Joe - 3 if you include the hike id say. Im saying 3 key runs, but theres only 2 max with any quality in it, the 15m mlr was 8mm.
  • MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭
    Ive got a cryo cuff I use Wardi for my achilles/calf issues - nerves are a bit of a bugger though. Ultasound gadget sounds pretty handy though.

Was measured by my watch Joe so hopefully somewhere near but you never know. You opened your gadget yet TR? 

Sounds like a nice run that Jools - its nice to chuck something different into the mix.

• JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    GPS watches are notoriously out on the Track. I’ve done several 5 & 10,000m races. Never had one read short/correct, GPS usually claims to be about 1.5-3% over distance in my experience Menn. You need to count the laps. Still I’m sure the watch data will suffice for the race 😎
  • MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭
    Thats the conundrum with virtual races I guess, totally subjective. The grass track is a school effort so not reliable either. I just run the same watch distance around it and compare with previous. The best thing about it is its less than a mile away and the only flat thing around here for anything longer than mile intervals:)
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Jooligan.. I reckon my hair will be similar to yours before I can next get a haircut.  Any tips on hair treatments or gels to keep our flowing locks errr, flowing?  :D  
    Menn.. my ultrasound unit is made by 'Tens Company'.  I don't think they make my specific model any more but they do have a big range of similar stuff. 
    TR.. if I've got what I had last time (nerve related) it is very unlikely to go away on it's own sadly.  Muscle & tendon injuries tend to improve with rest over time but nerve problems are more stubborn.  I will just manage it as best I can.  I have emailed the physio so will wait & see.  

53mph gusts forecast today, I've already had to dodge a flying plastic watering can walking back from the newsagent!  I'm not going out in that so the treadie beckons.  Mrs Wardi is currently hosting 'Zoom' yoga lessins in the treadie room so my next available slot is early afternoon. :o
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Menn - yes, used it yday and today. Bluetooths it straight to the phone and gives me no end of useless data.

Wardi - yes, sounds like you had before. I had that hammy issue for a while which i thought got aggravated by driving too much for work.

18m today (800ft of climb apparently), plan was to include 3x16min, but realised the mile autolap was going to mess things up, so i did 3 x 2.5m with 3 kin easy recovery. Rep paces were at the mercy of the wind and elevation.  It appears that i need to do timed sessions in the open, as the tree lined sections seemed to be quite a bit slower for no less effort.
    No such thing as useless data surely? Having said that, i can't feign much interest in the gradient adjusted paces on Strava. I know when i'm working hard!

5.5 miles yesterday made for a weary 12.5 miles today. Last night's fuel of a chicken balti, peshwari naan and onion bhajis perhaps did more damage than good. Today should have been the Liverpool marathon. Who knows if i'd have made the start line but having forgotten about it until today I reflected that it's been a relaxing two months without the training to worry about.

35 miles running, 19 on the bike. Another happy week.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Sounds yummy to me Joe, 12.5 m is a decent length run.

8m easy for me, achey legs after ydays 18m.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Nice weekend of exercise TR, still a bit windy up here but nowhere near as bad as the last two days.  Next week looks much nicer. ☀👍
    Joe.. nice MLR, too windy for marathons today anyway.  I'm due down the Indian takeaway later so your menu choice has got my taste buds working.  

I managed 5.4m on the treadie yesterday, I'd forgotten how hot a treadie run is in the summer even with windows open.  Out for 7.2m on mostly trails today, leg not too bothersome now I have the measure of what I can & can't do.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Menn - Super speedy 5k in the week, very impressiveYour in great nick. 
    Joe
    - That is a good week and I would blame the onion bhaji.  A good looking progressive 8m in the week, great to finish at just over 6 mm pace. Shame about Liverpool it will be back.
    TR - Another good week of training, that 18m looks a toughie so not surprised you felt it yesterday. How are the aches, suspected hernia - my own pains/ailment seem to have abated.?  
    Wardi - Hope the 7 miler was a good one, a very different proposition to 5m on the treadmill. 
    Jooligan - I really enjoy seeing the mix of runs you do, love the variety.
    51m for the week here all pretty steady stuff and a 15.5m run with my mate yesterday.  Then in the afternoon a picnic on the beach and a sea swim, invigorating. A bike ride day today. Looks an amazing week ahead, weather wise. Wondering with the drop in Covid cases in London, if there is a glimmer of light for a VLM of some sort in Oct.
  • MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭
    Sounds like a pretty decent weekend your having OO!

Sounds positive Wardi.

Looks like most people had a decent week. 
    Seems like weariness is on the menu as I had an awful 16m on Sunday. Just done a 3.5mm recovery this morning and will do another short ione this evening to try and sort the system out .
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Wardi - 7m is decent progress, it was still sunnyish here when it was windy.

OO - cant see vlm of any sort as it there'll be too many folks involved, unless its elites only......i wondered how your hernias were lately, i had a similar "its better" moment only recently, but then i upped the s and c ccts during lockdown, dug out broken fence posts, lugged fence panels about, put up new posts and panels.......and its flared up, but is hopefully settling again now.

Youve been in good nick Menn,  so a bit of tiredness is no big deal.

10 here today.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    OO (or indeed any other masters folks) not sure if id posted it here before, but have a listen to the latest Science of Sport podcast re aging.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    I'll check that out when I get chance TR.  Nice 10m done, I assume it was quite warm down your way too?
    Decided on the bike today, just over 35m under blue skies.  A lot of cyclists out & about.
    Very nice bhaji & Jalfrezi with a couple of beers last night, yum!
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Wardi  - yum. I walked with the spo, so didnt run til nearer midday, was nice and warm, happy to be out in it after sucking up all the cold and wet days over the winter. Would have been warm for a marathon though. Lots of folks about too (too many really) as i didnt use the usual quiet lanes.
  • saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    TR - glad to see the gadget make its maiden runs. I'm sure you'll settle into it and like me, perhaps only use it for distance and time. I have very simple screens setup with only HR and time for some runs. It does a lot more, but I dont need it. Similarly to RJR I dont look at post workout data too much. Nice week again last week. The variety will do you good. 

Wardi - annoying knowing what the issue is, knowing what can help it but not currently being able to get it looked at. Hope it stays at a level which doesnt affect your ability to get out too much.

RJR - as others, that's a speedy progression run. I do like to play a little game with myself doing those kind of runs. See how close you can hit the splits. Ever slowed down to make one perfect? 

Menn - 1547 is going some on a grass field.

OO - beach and sea swim sounds good. 

Topped off last week with 26km yesterday and almost came a cropper at 20km as I passed the 206th walker on the tow path by turning my ankle. Think I got away with it as ran on home and seems fine tonight. 

When do masters begin?