Options

Sub 3

Comments

• Options
    MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭
    RJR - nice session that
    SJ -im the lightest ive been for a while and am still nudging 12 stone which is a good 10 pounds more than most runners I toe the line with
    I reckon I wouldve been good for less than 33.45 yesterday if id carried on TR - Ave pace for 5k was 5.20

Took myself out for a not quite tempo session yesterday trying to kickstart the endurance - Managed a decent half with 5 at MP which felt quite strong
  • Options
    runjoerun91runjoerun91 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I've seen some studies before that show a pretty decent conversion of weight lost to speed e.g. 3% increase in speed for 5% weight loss (although 5% weight loss is chunky). Last time I looked it suggested simply getting down to the weight I was when I was 18 would be enough to get a 5k pb. Oh I wish it were that simple!

Menn - what's MP for you?
    Wardi - Hartlepool. Home to my Mum's side of the family and also the team I support. Nothing for us to cheer for some time I reckon (there hasn't really been anything for about 10 years now).

New trainers today which look pretty fly. Went for some funky colours. 2x8x200m aiming for around 35 secs a rep and then 35 recovery. Running up and down a road at that pace has the GPS doing funny things. Efforts definitely weren't an even distance. Joints are feeling pretty stiff after these sessions now. Would probably benefit from some trails or grass running as everything I do is on the road...

Socially distanced curry in the back garden tonight as a belated fathers day with the future father-in-law :smile:
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Good run that OO

Menn - a sub 34 10k in trainingcas,an m50 would be rude. Maybe go off 5.30s next time and pick it up later if you are going well.

Joe - yum

15 here today.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Joe.. one of my running mates is a Stockport fan and he is still gobsmacked at their gradual decline and fall through the leagues.  Some of it was due to dodgy businessmen owners would you believe!  Nice session today BTW.
    TR.. bet that was a warm 15m, it was a toasty 22 degrees here in the afternoon.
    Menn.. us senior codgers tend to lose a bit of muscle in old age so at 6ft 1in I'm about 11st 7lbs now and 11st 3lbs in marathon training mode.  Not much fluctuation whatever I eat & drink really.

Nice 5.2m in the sun today, due to turn much hotter from now to Friday.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Wardi- probably similar temp here. Not warm enough to be unpleasant ( still had t shirt, hat and long shorts on), but miles better than the dark, cold, wet monday mlrs from the winter. As you say Thursdays after work mlr could be a warm one.
  • Options
    MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭
    RJR - they averaged 5.44 but with quite a big range due to gradient. 
    TR exactly my thoughts - get first mile in high 5.20s and then focus on the low 5.20 bracket for next 2 and see how I feel after that. I do have a deep hatred of that distance now though. Yesterdays 5 at MP felt like a totally different sport.
    Im 6'1 Wardi and never raced below 12 stone - they a 1b is worth a minute in a mara (not sure how true that is).

• Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Early afternoon by the time I had waited in for a chap to fix our burglar alarm.  With the temp at 25 I decided on the bike option so 35.5 pleasantly warm miles done.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Menn - thats a good plan, plus you'll be mentally and physically more prepared next time.

Wardi - cycling on warm days is ace.

10m inc strides for me today. Brighton update today said they are still on for now, next update next month.
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    Berlin & New York cancelled for 2020, fingers still crossed for London, hopefully the covid situation would have improved significantly further by the end of July.
    Nice 10m TR, 8 warm ones for me.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Berlin had previously cancelled ? Im not sure what todays update was for.

Not surprised re New York, America still has rising infection rates.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Nice work as always TR.  Depressing news about autumn events though not unexpected.  
    6.4m at 09.45am, 23 degrees at that time!  Niggle still there but bearable ATM. 
    Apparently my physio is not resuming treatments until mid July so I will keep doing what I can until then.  Happy enough for now with no races on the  horizon. 
  • Options
    Wardi - hopefully it stays on the bearable side. You seem to be playing a good balancing act for now.
    Menn - that's a flying pace. Think you need a different thread, you'd sub 3 on the worst of days!

Had a few days off (albeit with some walking and 18 holes of golf) after Monday's session. Legs feeling better for it. Back on it today with over 100 laps (45 mins) of the garden. Topless running with water on hand definitely necessary given I waited til past 11am. Was ok when running but when I stopped I was absolutely drenched. Happy to tick it off.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Hopefully you can get the fizz to fix you up once you get to see him Wardi.

Crazy joe, why in the garden?

12 here in p and d 20%/10% style.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    I hope you weren't dragging the lawn mower around with you Joe:)  Was that around 6-7 miles?
    Nice run TR, did you manage to get out before the hotter temps arrived?  Mind you I always tell my club mates that the way to acclimatise to heat is to get out & run in it.  I remember Al P & Charlie heading for the saunas pre VLM 2018 when they found out a hot day was due.  They both had decent runs as I remember.

Just over 30m on the bike today, a pleasant warm ride.  Got my first flat tyre in 4yrs, though it turned out to be the bottom of the valve starting to detach from the tube so unlucky.  I always carry a repair kit on the bike so a roadside stop & new tube sorted it.  
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Wardi - that inner tube failed due to old age. Agreed re the heat adaptations, i did 15 after work monday and it was ok. Today i was out early with the dog, and then running from work just after 6.30. It was a nice temperature then, probably around 20ish, was already warming up when i finished.
  • Options
    Various reasons that meant it was just easier to stay in than go out. I have discovered a decent sized open field that's just a few hundred metres from the house. so that will be my place to take some of the strain of the road off from now on. 

The self propel on the lawnmower has gone. just the added incentive we needed to get people in to mow the lawn from now on. save my legs for marathons :)

4 years is a decent record Wardi. That's the side of cycling that makes it a poor man's running! 

Cracking mileage TR. You'd be forgiven for slowing down in this weather...
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    TR.. I did consider that, turns out I've had these tyres for 9 years (though I only cycle in summer).  Not sure about the tubes TBH but I intend to treat the bike to new tyres & tubes ASAP.  I had almost forgotten what it's like when your hands smell of rubber!
  • Options
    saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    Anyone seen the Hamburg details? Seems a bit of a faff. Maybe London do something similar? 

https://www.runnersworld.com/uk/news/a32978042/hamburg-marathon-to-go-ahead-coronavirus/?fbclid=IwAR1mzY9dLNQE65gkrO2rNAJfbipazQQVU6LwPp-QAJzv-z835fjODPgsjPE

TR - good job banking the miles and avoiding the main higher temps. 

Wardi - good that you can carry on. A mix of bike and running should see you get to the point when your physio reopens. 4 years is a cracking record for the tyres. I assume you are using good quality like conti inners and schwalbe tyres. I run those and have very little issues. Then again I ride maybe 20 miles per year lol. 

RJR - That field sounds like a better option than the 100 laps of the garden for future easier runs. The garden would get quite monotonous I would think. 

Had an indifferent week so far here. A decent session on Tuesday with my son on the bike consisted of 10 x 2 mins hard off 1 minute. Was going well but could feel the heat having an effect towards the end. 

I probably didn't realise how cooked I was until I headed for the hills on Wednesday for our now regular group run. I managed the first climb, stopped for a quick photo and then set off along the ridge lines on some technical, for me, trails. Well, from that point on the heat got me. I had zero energy and my legs were shot to bits. I felt sick and generally totally drained. 

The group got me round but easily one of the worst runs ever. I felt like the end of a hot marathon which was reminiscent of my first on a scorching day in the New Forest back in 2006 or 7. 

Needless to say took thursday off and only ran 12k yesterday where again I did feel 100%. Going to try another 60 mins shortly as it's much cooler here today with some overnight showers passing though. 

Finally got round to getting the third edition of advanced marathoning. I might start putting an adapted schedule together as reading the Hamburg stuff has me more hopeful. 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Wardi - you got yr monies worth there then.

SJ - defo worth getting on a bit more, racing looks set to come back sept/oct even of the big races dont. Anyone who backed off at lockdown will have had 3 easy months....I think Hamburg is more of a we're still on for now, with possible measures that might be applied......if there's no spike from the Bournemouth beaches, then Brighton will be trying to hold their seaftont based mara.

First 20m since early March today. Aim was the P and D 20%/10% run. 10 av 8.03, 9 av 7.09 and last mile 6.39. Good mix of rain, wind and bit of sun to finish in.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    TR.. cracking long run there, you'll certainly be good to go when the races start returning.  Similar conditions here this morning.
    SJ.. I wouldn't be too despondent about a tough run or two - this hot weather does tend to sap it out of you.  In the long term good for warm weather adaptations if it's any consolation.

FTR the tyres were Panaracer Race D evo 2.  Both mine & Mrs Wardi's bikes have them on & we've had 3 flats between us in 9/10 years which is quite impressive.  I've just ordered the latest version, managed to get a deal for two tyres @ £52.  I learned a long time ago that spending decent money on tyres means less punctures so money saved on inner tubes.

A bit fresher/breezier today so attempted my first double digit run since March.  10.5m done, leg not grumbling too much so happy with more progress.  I did start to get a mini soaking about 6m so headed for a tree lined detour which offered some shelter.  Too warm for a gilet or jacket anyway.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Wardi - agreed re the justification for decent tyres. Your run sounds similar, i took a soaking in first 5m, but knew itd dry up so just wore a Helly H base layer, which i knew would dry out a bit.
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    Joe - Good field spot, plenty of ptions of running the perimeter or up and down. I've a field here, 1 km circumference, surprisingly therapeutic running round and round. Can't compare though to CDs training run of last year, wasnt it 20 * a 1 mile stretch of road?. 
    SJ - Hopefully today's run went better, heat can be so sapping when your already a bit cooked.  Go Hamburg. That mask would be a bloody pain to carry though.
    TR - Super stuff again, nicely done. Reckon your already go to go and could easily knock off a swift marathon next week if you wanted. Tasty last mile. I will wait a few more weeks until I aim for a 20m.
    Been a bit of an easy week just a few 8m, 5m and 6m so had a 13m stretch today with a fast 3m @maybe hmp. Planning on another 18m tomorrow but boozing tonight so see how it goes.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    OO - hope the boozing and 18m went well. Id be ok for a strong 20, but would probably tail off a bit as ive only done the one 20m.

Walked with the spo for a couple of hours today, legd ached after yday snd nearly deferred my run until later in the day, but forced myself out for 6m and it became 9m by the end.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Good miles on a family day TR, I assume it was blowing a hoolie on the south coast?
    Similarly OO, hope you didn't get too buffeted on your long run.

Buckets and bits of trees blowing about this morning so I wussed out and did 5.2m on the treadie.  A bit warm & sweaty but I should be used to that after our recent weather.  :|
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    TR - I suppose so, as to run a good marathon always good to have a few 22m in the legs and more than a few 20.

Wardi - Yes, bonkers weather. 5.2m is better than a blank. 

The boozing went too well (Proper Job IPA and Glastonbury on TV, dangerous combination) so the 18 became a 12, enjoyed it though as Wardi alludes windy enough in part but mostly able to find a sheltered route. So 52 for the week which is fine for the current holding pattern. 
  • Options
    SJ - Running with your kid(s) on the bike seems to be a parent's favourite at the moment. Ideal way of ticking some boxes.

Wardi - I've noticed that chiropractors are open near me but I suppose they might be more essential than physios?

TR - Nice 20 miler. Bringing it in at that speed is great.

OO - I wouldn't want to compare to CD, let us not forget his training track marathon as well! 12 post booze is still good going. Hangovers closely follow injury for excuses I make not to run.

Last week was a fail in sticking to the plan with just 3 runs and only the 1 session so I'm redoing it rather than moving on to the next. However, rather than do 8x2x200m again the coach suggested a 1 mile time trail "for a bit of fun". Wasn't the best thought through route as I ran it almost entirely into the wind but I can't complain with a 5:15.
  • Options
    OO/Joe - yes, there's a long run I've done that was up and down either side of a quiet 'dual carriageway' style private road.  Laps were just under a mile.  In the past there's been the local parkrun lap (1.5 mile laps) and a local loop on residential roads that's about 0.3 miles per lap.  And the track of course.  But then I do others that are random off-road jaunts, mixing it up a bit.

I found another one this weekend, I went with some clubmates for a distanced run round Kenley aerodrome - 2 mile laps.  I've done no speed work at all since March and I need to get back into it with London less than 100 days away (if at all).  Hard work, much to do to get back into some sort of shape.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    That latter run is almost identical to my Parkrun/racecourse loop CD, around 1.95 miles.  I always feel those runs are good for mental strength as the first few don't feel like you are getting anywhere!  With all the recently cancelled marathons I guess you are moving closer to staying top of the V50 rankings.  :)  
    Joe.. that's a very decent mile time, not much wrong with your speed.  BTW my physio is in a shared building with other practitioners, some have started back already and some haven't for whatever reason.  Funnily enough Mrs Wardi has an appointment with the chiropractor there soon.
    OO.. still a decent MLR after a previous night skinful - good total for the week.

6.3m in the wind & squally drizzle/rain this morning.  Not as gusty as yesterday so pleased to get out; full rain jacket required.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Wardi - yes, windy here too. Lost my cap yday and today, and had to go back for it.

CD - if no races happen you could make a year ranked No 1.

Joe - good effort esp when not expecting it.

Blowy 15m here tonight.
  • Options
    Good point TR, I'm still ranked #1 of the handful of over 50s who managed a marathon before March.  Gotta take what you can get!