Sub 3

Comments

• It's a wide track and it meanders a bit so it's actually quite tricky to take the shortest line, especially when there's a few about.  
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Mmmmmm, the concern is that with mara, 20m, 1/2, 10k and 5k runners all on the track at peak then there could be ~1000 on the track at the same time. I have just asked re numbers.
    We'll see what they say, i might change plan if it looks too crowded. IoW is 300 limit, Dorney 600.
  • saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    RJR - awesome 5k time trial. Definitely a marker to carry forwards. 

LMH - good to see you back but sorry to read of your injuries. Hope all those clear up soon. 

ES - annoying to say the least as, like TR, you have kept things ticking over very nicely. Glad you still have a goal and a race to aim for.

TR - As others, your 2021 looks super stacked with all the cancellations. All those races must represent a fair financial investment too judging by how much races cost these days. There are worst hobbies of course :) 

Not much happening here other than work (still WFH) and some DIY (long overdue some of it). I was maintaining a reasonable 50mpw until the last couple of weeks but my work schedule has intervened (3 non run days last week) so dipped below that marker for first time in 12 or so weeks. 

Decided to take the stress away of hitting weekly totals and run some shorter stuff focusing on some speed. Dusted off my old RW half marathon schedule from 2008 so will be following that for a few weeks, see how it goes. No particular aim or target. I guess I could run a timed HM in the autumn to see how the training has soaked in (or not). 

Mini SJ picks up his GCSE results tomorrow. He seems a little less stressed now. 
  • Having said all that, have just entered Oulton Park marathon Sunday 6th December ! Not sure if it will go ahead but is run by the same people running Goodwood so must be an outside chance. I know motor racing has returned to the circuit with British GT running a couple of weekends back. 15 weeks is plenty of time. 
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Good on you SJ. That should reignite the motivational fires.
    I’ve entered IoW now so just over 6 weeks to get some decent marathon specific work in. I’m also in for the Farndon 10K the week before which I took as a replacement for the cancelled Wrexham HM!
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Hope yr lad gets the grades he needs SJ. Good to have had a bit of life balance, but also good to see yr Dec 6th mara. Theres a Goodwood day on Dec 6th too, I'll probably do that too. Gosport is cancelled.....agreed theres a few ££££ in those entries, however lots of those were entered last yr, race entries get me out the door. The plan was to chase a 10k pb this summer, not sure I'll want those same races next yr.

Jools - the vlm announcement was coming the day i went to FoD, so a few days before i entered the only race option i had with goodwood. Ive nearly entered IoW and Dorney severals times since. Im not convinced re the Goodwood set up, and fear it'll include a lot of weavubg through runners. But sods law says if i bin it it'll probably be a really still day, sods law also says if i font bin it oct 4th will probably be a really still day.

Upped the 3 min reps to 15 today in an absolute monsoon, but at least it was warm. Post run feeling was that it had been too comfy, but theres gains to be had no doubt.
  • Lots to catch up on here.

CD - I could see there being quite a bit of interest if there were an unofficial marathon at Kenley. Quite a few SLHers train up there so you could have a good but safe event if word spread. 

SJ - Good luck to mini SJ. I know that I would have been one stressed out mini me given what's been going on in the last few weeks. Hopefully stress levels will be just be at the normal level now. Couple of drop down weeks will probably have had very little impact on your fitness. May help if anything.

TR - good looking session there. I often have the feeling I've been a little easy on myself but there's definitely benefits to consistent efforts, even at 90% of what you might otherwise have done.

Need to drop the other half at work Friday and she works very close to a track that's open. So I think the time has come for a properly distanced 5k. I haven't done much since the last effort but my timings in the duathlon were around about low 17s pace so I can count that as a decent workout with the bike on top. I'm still assuming my run last week was at least 100m short so I'd class anything below 17:20 as an achievement (and an official PB) but I'll give it my best.
  • Good news that mini sj is less stressed. Hope he is ok with his results.

Have you seen the proposed Elvington races Wardi/sj?
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    After the marathon race drought, could be time for a list?

27/9  Goodwood / 4/10 Dorney - TR
    4/10  IOW - Jooligan
    4/10  London Virtual - LMH, CD, OO
    6/12  Oulton Park - SJ

Maybes/ Unlikely's/ You-never-knows-but-probably-not

6/12   Valencia - Joolska
    13/12 Malaga - OO  (Maybe 6/12 Goodwood as alternative)

12m with 5@6.40.  
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Joe - id struggle to run a pb solo in training, so fair play if you do it.

LMH - did you enter Wrexham (or anything else?).

OO - im still looking at Oct 4th contingency in case Goodwood gets binned (by them or me), got an eye on IoW entry list, half full at mo and closes 2 wks before oct 4th. Would need a car ferry though as its Cowes not Ryde. But defo good to see a list up. I'll probably do Dec 6th too, probably mara but we'll see how i get on in 5 or 6 weeks. Defo would be a good result to bag 2 sub3s this year.

SJ - hope yr lad is happy today.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Joe.. best of luck with the solo track 5k, looks mega windy on Friday though.  12.5 laps of the track still felt hard the last time I did it.  

LMH.. yes I saw the Elvington event(s), similar to TR's event - something for everyone with 5k, 10k, 10m, Half & Full marathons!  The only potential drawback is that airfields can be a wind trap if the weather gods don't cooperate.  After we did that breezy half at Vale of York 2 years ago  (Rufforth airfield) I did an extra 5m on the runways post race and it was blowing furiously, very exposed so nowhere to hide!  I haven't entered any races yet, will see how my recovery continues.  I have made good progress so far, nowhere near race fit though.

SJ.. good commitment and a decent way to focus the training again.  Hope your lad got good news.

TR.. 15 x 3mins is a hard session, the rain was probably a blessing if the temps were warm.  Sunny morning and very wet evening up here yesterday.

Enjoyed a pleasant 7.2m run down the York/Selby bike track yesterday.  Saw a very fluid looking runner approaching, jogging at about 6mm I would estimate!  Turned out to be Graham Rush who is our local Parkrun course record holder,  has a few sub 14 5k's on his CV too.  Annoying the way these guys make it look so effortless! :)
    Just over 11m this morning, managed to get it done before the wind & temps picked up in the afternoon.     
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Wardi - hobsons choice, airfield and motor cct types events are the way fwd for a while. Ive even read tha races like Chichester 10k (February) are reviewing how they can put their race on. Bigger spring maras must still be at risk.

13m tonight.
  • Wardi - a sub 14 min 5k is very casual. Easy to be jealous of those who make running look so easy but then there's others out there who'd say exactly the same about you. Mileage is looking up!

OO - There's a chance I run the Nottingham Christmas marathon but I will more likely plump for the half marathon on 6th December. The recent speed work probably gives me a small % benefit in a half but useless for the full.

40mph winds are not the friend of the runner but I was determined to give it a go at the track this morning. Early rain had disappeared so whilst the track was a bit wet, wind and my body were the only real enemies. After a warm up, strides and one 200m false start where my shoe lace came untied I went for it. First 2 kms in 3:22 and 3:26 felt ok and the wind wasn't bothering me too much but then it became laps of two halves. Fighting my way down the home straight into the wind and cruising down the other side with wind behind. My third km in 3:32 was a bit of a worry but I assumed I would be able to increase the pace towards the end if needs be. Km number 4 (always the toughest?) came out as a 3:30 and meant I needed one more 3:30 for a PB. I picked up the pace a little, enough to finish with a 3:24 and record a 17:15.

Tough conditions today so there's probably some more seconds in there for me but a great result nonetheless. Confirmation that the run from a few weeks ago probably was around 200m short, but it was nice to believe. It's a pb that has stood for almost 12 years and I started to doubt if I'd ever topple it.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    Joe - That's a fantastic 5K time and run, well done in not the most optimal of conditions.  Your on the list.   Thanks for highlighting Nottingham (my old University city has more allure than Goodwood) so thats my back-up plan. 

27/9  Goodwood / 4/10 Dorney/IOW - TR
    4/10  IOW - Jooligan
    4/10  London Virtual - LMH, CD, OO
    6/12  Oulton Park - SJ
    6/12  Nottingham (M or 1/2) - RJR

Maybes/ Unlikely's/ You-never-knows-but-probably-not

6/12   Valencia - Joolska
    13/12 Malaga - OO  (Maybe 6/12 Nottingham)
  • Awesome running Joe especially in the wind. Well paced and focussed running. 

A list. Excellent. Things returning to some sort of normality, even if it all gets cancelled again its got me tinkering with my spreadsheet and transcribing a P&D schedule over to Google sheets with dates and paces Etc. 

Wardi - I know those pesky fast guys are annoying. Checking RunBritain rankings has me way down in my post code area. 

LMH - I had not seen the Elvington races which look exactly the same format as the other circuit races, including entry fees Etc. 

I checked the two previous editions of the Oulton Park GP marathon; won in 2:56:30 and 2:57 in '18 and '19 :smile: Someone will turn up and time-trial it this year in 2:30 or something Ha! Seriously though, as TR says, these kind of controlled spaces will be the only options for a while. 

Mini SJ did well. No dramas and grades seemed reasonable and not inflated in his case anyway. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Fair play Joe i didnt expect you to di tgat TT in todays wind. Well done find yrself a 5k race. Run through have some 5k and 10k.

OO - agreed, Nottingham sounds more fun.

SJ - good news re your lad, always used to annoy me the pressure and exam rime table that GCSEs put kids under. Its about opening the next door, and GCSE results are soon forgotten when you have gone through that door. Nice to see you planning a mara.

6m easy today.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Joe..  great effort on a gusty day, you should be close to sub 17 in calmer conditions.

Yes good to see a list taking shape, will be interesting to see what races become available either side of Xmas.

Steady 5.2m mostly off road today trying to avoid the strong winds.  Had to dodge a few branches felled earlier in the day plus a stray trampoline. 🤔
  • That's a cracking 5k Joe, nice one.

I've been enjoying some of the Northumberland countryside this week, having a break at a place we used to go to regularly but haven't been to for 9 years. A few more hills than I'm used to but lovely running. 

I noticed today that marders is on the elite start for London. Good to see some old time fred representation amongst the 40 or so starters. Maybe he can talk Kiochoge into a couple at the Red Lion after. 
  • Cheers all. Still basking in the glow.

SJ - sounds like your boy got what he deserved and that's the main thing. Planning your training plan always more exciting than the training itself ;) Always suspicious when marathons are won in those times. it's either hilly or attracts very little interest. a racetrack presumably the latter.

TR - yes tempting to race atm. Checked out runthrough but nothing much near me in the short term. We had races planned at Blenheim palace with work and September but now we're running virtually so I'm going for a sub 36 10k on that day. not quite solo as I'm going to meet up with one other and chase him down with a 2 min head start.

CD - you get a bit of climbing in around you. It comes as a real shock to me these days.

Wardi - being hit by a trampoline would be quite something. didn't seem to be as wild today round my way.

OO - I'd like to see Nottingham on a sunny warmer morning than last year. it was foggy and freezing last year
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Joe.. it's obviously not my lucky weather weekend - tried to dodge the showers this morning but got thoroughly soaked during a 10k run. 🌧

CD.. Nice part of the world, I used to live up there when I was a nipper.  Yes very pleased for Marders, he's certainly very consistent over the marathon distance.
  • Joe - there is a climb on the far side of the circuit which will be annoying on laps 9 and 10 I imagine. Its offset by a sweeping descent from the pit straight down to the bottom of aforementioned climb so nkt so bad. I think it generally lacks appeal as a 10.5 lapper race in december isn't going to massively appeal. However, I reckon a few will have a go this year so expect to have a few more ahead of me. 

Wardi - I weather watched yesterday and went out for 16k later in the afternoon. Did some work in the morning so worked out well. Nicely done dodging all the fallen shrubbery and trampoline! A few branches down on the canal but nothing too bad here.

CD - sounds like a nice vacation with some hilly running. Marders always seems fit looking at his Strava. I noticed recent highlights included a 14:xx 5k and a sub 3 training marathon. 

Heading out now for possibly my last hilly run of the season. I'm such a fair weather fell runner lol.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Marders is always piling the mileage in, he was doing plenty recently. I saw a bit of twitter banter with him saying he was chasing the v40 record, Marigolds time was bettered in Valencia.

SJ - Goodwood only usually has the odd sub3 runner, but with not much else to pick from im hoping there'll be a few more.

22m yday, backed up by 18m today, started off a bit sluggish today as id bought 8 pints of ale ftom the brewery, and only had around 3 of the 8 Friday (as i had the 22 planned), but last night i hoovered what was left.

5 weeks til the B of the Bang.
  • Awesome training TR. Not sure I could back up like you did yesterday and today. I'll be alternating medium long runs with easy days as a classic P&D. Going to try upping the miles once again in a hope to build again. Yes having others to run with is more important than scoring a hollow victory. 

Decent fell run today in Derwent Valley. Almost 1000m of climbing but 2hrs30mins for 22km so I wont be doing many more of these from now on. I have ear-marked one of the reservoirs near me which is 4.5k round as my long run training loop. Hopefully this loop gets me into the laps frame of mind. 

Schedule starts tomorrow. 

• OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    TR - Massive training weekend, well done. My mate has now entered Goodwood so he will certainly be sub3 chasing. He would welcome teaming up. 
    SJ - Sounds a lovely run, I must do a bit more off road running.
    CD - Relieved you didn't cycle there. Have fun.
    Joe - Yes remember from my student days the foggy cold Nottingham  December weather. Could be on though as a reunion weekend and the mara being on the Saturday could fit in well.
    Backed up ydays 9 hours driving son to University :-( with first 20 miler since early March. Both seemed a bloody long way. 
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Congratulations on the unofficial 5K PBs RJR.
    Mahoosive mileage weekend TR not too much sharp stuff in there I'm guessing?
    Sounds good fun SJ & a promising loop for mental toughening.
    Like you OO I also did my first 20M in a long time today. Only took a couple of minutes longer than your 22K SJ :) Nice progressive run along the canal so flat but not always the best surface & some dodging of bikes & ducking under low bridges. Picked the pace up every 5M. Started with 5M in 40:50 & finished with 5M in 35:40
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Marathon season must be approaching with all these long runs!

Great weekend of calorie burning TR, you can be forgiven the beer indulgences in between.  :p

Jooligan.. very nice progressive long run, I'm always on the look out for tethering spikes on a canal run.

Impressive mountain goating SJ, hope you can flow into the new schedule nicely.

Good to see you back up to doing long runs OO, are the knees behaving?

A more modest 10m for me today but brought up 52m for the week which is decent progress form where I was 2-3 months ago.  Fancy a couple of cold beers myself shortly. 
  • TR - serious back to backing there. Sure you're not training for an ultra?!

Nice one SJ. I went for a walk with the other half round Derwent dam on Tuesday followed by dinner and drinks in the pub. I love it round there but always stay low. There's definitely some hills to be had.

Nice run Jools. Just been out on the canals myself. Very lumpy atm. Like the 5m progressive, would definitely consider that every now and then in a training plan.

an 8 miler for me today. Ticking along at 7 min miles. Got a speed session tomorrow so I'll probably pay for that.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    I would normally do a 15m after work on a monday, im off work this week so rhought id free tomorrow up by doing the mlr today (last weekend i did 22 and 15 sat and sun) and did a few more.

Jools - good long run that, time for a few more yet too. Defo no pace here within that 40m. I think theres 1 more mp run to go yet though.

SJ - that reservoir loop sounds good, gives you runs you can compare too, esp if theres paces to hit.

OO - good endurance double from you there. Not sure on size of waves yet at Goodwood, and cant remember what time i put, but will bo doubt see your mate. Tricky to predict mp with no build ups, so play it by ear, weather will have an impact anyway. Sub 3 is defo the aim as a minimum.

Wardi - agreed you are progressing nicely. Ive a few frothies chilling for tonight.

Joe - marathon proofing my legs, hopefully.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Glorious day up here with a clear blue sky and equally clear views.  Difficult to picture tomorrow's wet & windy forecast when it's like this.  35.2 enjoyable miles on on the bike around the country lanes, curry to follow.

Just had an email from the Barca marathon - the March 2020 race was postponed to October which has now also been cancelled.  Similar to London they are skipping the usual spring date for 2021 and have moved it to Nov 7th!  Next autumn is going to be busy.  
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Wardi - not surprised, ive seen local races posting they are having to assess if they can go ahead next year.

7m easy here, was raining when i started.