Sub 3

Comments

• Good tempo session OO
    Cracking LR SJ. You’re in a great place to race a marathon. What’s the total elevation at Oulton Park?
    Been injured with foot tendon issues for 10 days myself but signs of improvement after some time off & plenty of rehab exercises. I’ve managed 4M, 4M, 6M, 6M the last 4 days helped by orthotic insoles. Finished my run Thursday with pain at 4-5/10 but today was down around 2/10.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Nicely done indeed SJ, shame about the early lashing.  Great last big run before the gradual taper.

OO.. kudos due for getting out for 10m in that coastal battering!  Nice tempo yesterday too.  32C sounds very hot though I always find overseas heat less stifling/humid than the UK somehow.

TR.. re. altitude..  when we went to the Himalayas back in 2001 I remember reaching a village at 11,000 ft.  Instictively skipping up a few steps was enough to catch your breath.  Our destination peak was 18,500 ft where everything felt like a huge effort.  Everest is 1m higher than this!  Good stuff on the turbo, sounds like you're keeping a sensible lid on it.

9.4m today, waited until the afternoon as the sky was a threatening blue/black colour earlier with heavy showers.  59.5m for the week, didn't have my OCD head on to rouund it up.  :)
  • OO - he's still trying. I think he'll keep going until he does it. I believe it's a 1 in 3 shot now. Good slug out on a very wet Sunday in parts.

SJ - good run that. Not far off sub 3 pace as it is, which bodes well off lesser than fresh legs and without the carb load.

TR - Is it not 10 days from your positive test?

Wardi - big week again. Nice one.

10 miles today at the crack of dawn. Didn't look at the forecast and only copped a pasting a couple of times...but it was quite a pasting. All in all a good run and another good week. 5k tune up "race" next Saturday should be a good check where i'm at.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Wardi- good weather dodging

Joe - not so good weather dodging. 10 days from the symptoms, if you test positive.
  • TR - ah that seems sensible. yes can't always beat the weather!

took the cross training option again for 45 mins on the bike. week off this week so happy to be out of the house with little to worry about
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Joe.. shame about out the soaking but credit due for getting it done.  Is the 5k race with company or solo?

6.4m this morning in dry conditions, the off road/fields looks saturated though.
  • Wardi - Solo. I need to get a few races in when I can to make these pbs official as only my marathon PB from the last year will show in the history books. well done on keeping it dry.

+1 for saturation. I almost ended up on my arse today running across a small patch of mud and the other half saw a number fall over today on her walk. maybe people are just losing their sense of balance...
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Well at least i dont have to get rained on when im inside.

More turbo time done, will be able to ease into a run soon.
  • Don't speak too soon TR, your a rain and wind god (aka Douglas Adams).
    Joe - Any races around you coming up soon?  I am pondering a local hilly HM on 20/12, finely balanced argument,  I could do with the race, its very local but not getting my gander up yet.
    10m morning dry run bar the odd muddy puddle.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited November 2020
    OO - glos has been moved back to end of feb, and to castle coombe motor cct, so its now covid secure. 5 weeks before Dorney though.......im sure i have plenty of rainy running days due to me.
  • TR - Thanks for that, could well be up for this.  Are you intending to run it?
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Possibly, but ive heard a couple of rumours about it not being the best organisers. Have you done it before?
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    OO.. similar here, 10.4m - a bit breezy but dry again.  Quite a reasonable pace considering the tasty Madras and a few beers consumed last night. :p

TR.. good that you are still well enough to exercise, is the SPO still on the mend?
  • OO - My colleague tells me he's been in contact with the Oulton Park organisers and they're planning to run the event under tier 3 restrictions so that's an option but £22 plus petrol for a 5k isn't great value. A half sounds like a great set up for Christmas :)

Wardi - do all runs have to end in .4? Well run.

7 miles today with some strides. Since being on this plan i noticed my slowest run has been at an average of 7:20 min mileing. It's punchy but so far enjoyable.
  • Good to read of some fixture planning going on. 

Jools - around 300m total elevation as it's supposed to be 30m a lap ascent. Obviously this isn't much compared to most of my long runs but that 30m comes mostly in one go up a sharp little bugger. I'll just have to ease up it each lap and maintain effort. 

Joe - nice falling avoidance on the slippery stuff. Dark nights and wet leaves are proving tricky for me. How recent was your pals comms with Oulton park organisers? All I've seen is a statement saying they are waiting on advice. It's going to be 11th hour stuff I reckon. 

TR - ironically a bit of a dry spell up here recently. Glad you're still maintaining. Everyone else improving? 

Wardi - solid stuff especially with the curry and booze fueling you along. 

OO - sounds like a decent blow-out pre xmas indulgence re the hilly half. 

Mondays is non run day which was greatly received as my right knee was a little sore after sunday. 

Back indoors tonight for 7x600m at 5k pace. Kept pace a little more conservative than the k reps last week. No point it falling off the back of the treadmill at this stage :) 

Had loads of holiday to use up so finishing on the 9th dec. Cant wait. It's been a weird year for us all. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Wardi, SJ - she is improving but has the altitude breathing Wardi referenced as soon as she moves about......similar to SJ i have lots of leave to use up, i have thurs and fri booked off as i have loads of things to do after being trapped indoors.
  • TR - that's good to hear. any progress is good progress. What did you do with your fleet entry btw? I've got a virtual half to fit in before 20th December. 

SJ - that was pretty up to date as far as I know but as I'm off work this week I haven't quizzed him on it. Fingers crossed your knee plays ball. if you can get through a sharp session like that it must be a good sign?

7 miles this morning with fly by of the local xmas tree farm. will be moving back home soon and with xmas uncertainty covid wise we're having our xmas day today with the other halfs parents. so roll on Turkey, trimmings and booze.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Joe - moving back home ? To the house youve been renovating? Cant remember re fleet, it was cancelled ? I think i got a part refund.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    You must have been out early doors Joe, hope the Xmas fare was tasty.  Best of luck with your move back home.

SJ.. cracking speed session there, nicely done.  Remind me which event you are doing - I obviously wasn't paying attention!

A routine 10m this morning (no fractions today Joe :)).  Blowing a hooley so ran into the wind down one of my sheltered routes, 5m out and 5m wind assisted back.  Even windier and heavy rain this afternoon so I timed it well it seems.
  • TR - yes that's the one. we've been out since June but it is finally nearing a close. I thought I'd take the virtual option for a bit of motivation and a medal.

Wardi - absolutely stuffed. feel like I've had a weeks worth of food. good effort. weather looked foul out there. good to see a lack of decimal points.
  • TR - good news on the SPO improvement although the shortness of breathe thing must make it hard to get up and about to try and get the body going. 

Joe - fair enough. I reckon it will happen if we come out of this lockdown back into tier 3. Travelling from my area might be my biggest hurdle. The 'strongly advised' bit will play with my conscience I think. Early Christmas day sounds great :) I bet you will be pleased to get into your home again. 

Wardi - Oulton Park runthrough event on Dec 6th. Nicely done and planned 10 miler. I do like the out and back run with the favourable conditions on the return leg. I often get that down the canal tow path. Sometimes I swear the wind changes direction and I cop for it both directions. 

Knee feels much better but hammys are complaining a little. I did 16km on the treadmill tonight instead of 19 as I could feel them a little. Always going to get a few aches and pains so not too concerned. I just need to watch these sharper sessions a little bit. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Good one on the 10 wardi

Joe - for some reason i thought you were living there all the time

SJ - you're nearly at cotton wool time now, youve done all the hard stuff.

5m easy, breathing was ok, biggest issue was all my usual niggles had seized up. But at least im back to it, although i feel pretty achey now.
  • SJ - I hope for your sake it's on. The travelling point is a contentious one. Hard to say what's essential and whats not. the travel for exercise is allowed but not sure why. most people can exercise from their door.

TR - we've been sleeping there a bit but without a working bathroom or kitchen we've had to stay at her parents. Has been good for new running routes even though it's only 5 miles away. Welcome back. Easy does it.
  • TR - That's good news on your wife. I've also heard negative feedback so binned the idea of the Glos marathon.  Go easy now, interesting feature in this weeks marathon talk from an athlete laid low by CV19, his bottom line make sure you rest after you've seen it off. 
    Joe - Yes, £22 for a 5K is a bit rich but going home for Christmas sounds good.
    SJ - That all sounding pretty spot on for the marathon in terms of training and resisting overdoing the faster stuff.  After all of the training, I would say its essential travel.  

Entertaining myself with pencilling in a big city/ new city marathon schedule for 2021, 6 in all though looking pretty rammed from Sept-Dec, where its a  marathon a month.  Looking to run Geneva, Vienna and either Florence or Rome for the first time.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited November 2020
    Joe - good news its nearly all done then

OO - i read about him. Sportiedoc the former triathlete got it bad too. All i can do is keep it short and easy for now, and monitor RHR etc. The stomach and groin having seized up was my limiter today, 2 wks of no running is a bad idea age 53. Feels like i have had a fair set back at the mo from the time off as well as any infection.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Nice globetrotting schedule OO, let's hope we are back to normal in 9-12 months time.
    TR.. must be a relief to get out again even with a few grumbles, I'm sure you will loosen up in due course.
    SJ.. I guess Oulton Park isn't too far from you so one less thing to worry about!
    Joe.. we had a complete new kitchen 4 years ago and I remember it being very awkward managing without it for about 10 days.

Temps here this morning were about half of yesterday's 14 degrees (when I had a t shirt on!).  Two layers needed today though it was under a lovely sunny/blue sky, 10k done with clear views over the fields.

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Rare not to hear from you for a couple of days TR, hope all is well.

11m yesterday, a steady 5m today.  Looks like a decent day tomorrow so might head to the racecourse for a few laps.
  • 12 miles for me with 3 X 4km at marathon pace. 17.46, 17.27, 17.25. Closing in on 2.59 pace but a bit of work still to do!
  • Very promise Jools, nice run.

OO - love a good calendar plan. we can dream of racing at least.

Wardi - my parents had their kitchen delivered pre the first lockdown but couldn't have it fitted until September so were surrounded by boxes but had a real let off that it didn't hit when the old kitchen had been ripped out. We're into the 5th day of fitting ours. we're doing it ourselves and so far so good. pretty happy with our bit, annoyed that one of the walls isn't straighter since it's so new!

A couple of days off running for me but back with a bang today. 5k tune up race number 1 on the pfitz faster road running plan. 16:56 the score on the doors. A 19 second PB and a lifelong dream of going sub 17 fulfilled. I suppose I have to try to edge down towards 16:30 with the help of the shoes.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited November 2020
    Wardi - good few days there

Jools- ooh i like that run, i like those tempo reps

Joe - you'd go much quicker in a race

I was pissed off yday as my stirred up niggles led to a very achey and sore 6m, spent a lot of time rolling and stretchimg, and was a bit looser for 7m today, although i had a very sore hip flexor, but thats new so im ingnoring that. 7m av 8.15 is more or less a proper run, so ive cheered up a bit. But ive a long way to go to get back to decent distances.

Turbo tomorrow, im going to try to keep Sundays and Wednesdays as Turbo.

SPO wanted to venture out on her own with the dog, so she was under orders to not go far (a 15min job), and she came crawling back cos she stayed out for too long.