Options

Sub 3

Comments

• Options
    Fair play Wardi. I make that about 150 days?
    Cheers OO.
    I was forced into a couple of days off by injury in October & then again in November but since then the body’s held up pretty well in spite of averaging 80mpw.
  • Options
    Another windy run here, so my mile reps were not great: 6.45; 6.59: 6.38; 7.01; 6.42. I'm sure the effort level was right, but mother nature ensured the effort was not rewarded with a fast pace! 11 miles in total.

80mpw average? Respect! I've never done more than 70.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Jooligan - good one on the 100no. You'll be well over 200 by Brighton.

Joolska - well done, was defo tough in the wind today. I was trying to avoid it by hiding in the lanes, which helps a little. So much for better weather, whilst it hasn't been icy this week, its been windy and rainy.

Another 20 bagged, same as last week with 5m easy, 12m av 6.52, 3m easy. Should know wether Dorney or Goodwood have any chance at Easter after Monday, cant see them happening  but if they do......79m for the week.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Top work in the breeze today TR and good mileage for the week.  Fingers crossed for the future events.
    Jools.. great battling in the wind, reps still pretty consistent.  Ouch to the vet bill!
    Jooligan.. an erstwhile poster on here (Njord) - last I heard he hasn't had a running rest day in over 7 years.  He explained that running every day saves him having to make a decision. :D

2 x 4m today, planning a MLR tomorrow as the weather looks much calmer.  It's been blowing all day here, windier than yesterday I reckon.
  • Options
    The wind dropped a fair bit here this morning, though it's back with a vengeance now. It meant my 7 miles of hilly tempo followed by 7 hill repeats wasn't too bad. Some strong gusts but I wasn't full pelt so it was ok. 15 tomorrow will be my longest since injury. 
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    Hopefully wardi and cc enjoyed half decent weather for their mlrs today. 

I joined in with 12m on tired legs.
  • Options
    Ha!  It think that one is doing the rounds at the moment, Birch.  Our girl-cat is doing her best to catch up with the boy-cat, as we found a large bald patch underneath her tail yesterday afternoon, which then seemed to have lose skin in it.  According to the vet, it was an abscess, probably from a fight (she is a bit of a bruiser, truth be told, much as I love her).  Needless to say the total cost was £270 (damn those out of hours appointment charges!), and our insurance excess is £250, so not really worth claiming £20...

19 miles this morning (7.59s: a dull but mostly flat out and back route) to make 61 for the week.  Biggest since lockdown 1.
  • Options
    Wardi - jeez thats some streak. I'm always factoring in some down time to my weeks, couldn't imagine that level of consistency.
    Jooligan - congrats on the 100 keep it up.
    Jools - big week and with some quality too very nice.
    TR - good structured 20. confidence must be pretty good. Feels like big announcement tomorrow. Will probably give a yay/nay to all pre summer races.
    CC2 - Hill tempo AND repeats? good on ya.

18 for me today. brings up a 100km week fitted more to life than to P&D but happy with where I'm at.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Jools.. out & backs do at least reduce the temptation to take a short cut ;) Congrats on the 19m, hope your breeze had dropped as much as ours.
    Joe.. Nicely done on the 18m & a decent weekly total.  Re. tomorrow, I'm hoping at least to be able to run in a group of some size again.  Plus I need a haircut!
    TR.. 12m is a good effort after a decent 20 yesterday, not surprised the legs were a bit cranky!

12.6m for me this morning, lovely conditions, 10-11 degrees, light winds and dry.  Some celebrity spotting of sorts - the alfresco trumpet man was out rehearsing in his usual spot on the outskirts of York racecourse.  As I ran back to the car in the last couple of miles I saw a lady running towards me at a very brisk pace (her pacer was on a bike!).  I recognised her as she wizzed past - Laura Weightman out for a trot. 
    67m for the week, hopefully enough calorie deficit for tonight's curry & beer.
  • Options
    Its all ramping up on here, some great run streaks and some big mileage running weeks taking place - good work!  Hopefully following todays announcement we will all have some UK races to look forward to, in the near future.

A really painful left foot since Wednesday (bruising on the puffy part under your toes) so a restricted week for me, just 42m.  Today foot felt much better so choose a very soft surface, plenty of padding and able to do 2*4.5m. 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Nice one jools, 19m is nearly at max anyway.

Joe - building nicely too joe.

Wardi - hope the curry was nice.

OO - did you damage the foot or is it from running. Possibly Morton's Neuroma ? If it burns after a while.

We need to see what sport england flow down following todays update. Dorney are confident as the wording says organised adult sport, and Dorney (and Goodwood) are CV safe races. If travel restrictions come into it the Goodwood is closer.

Upped last Mondays 14m to 15m tonight.
  • Options
    Great stuff  over the past 3 days TR (47 miles!) fingers crossed for you for Goodwood and a still day.  
    "Fools Neuroma", stubbed my toes on some furniture and by gods it hurt.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    OO.. indeed, if they reckon night clubs can open again in June then our outdoor races must surely return.  Hope your foot simmers down.
    TR.. almost a page out of LMH's training  diary, following a long run with a MLR the next day (or two!).  Cracking stuff.

Tired legs today so a steady 5m for me.  Looks very windy for the next couple of days though warm.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    OO - hopefully its just bruising then.

Wardi - tired legs here today too !

10m done on creaking legs. SPO had CV jab 1 today which is a relief.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Nice 10m TR, & good news re. the SPO.  No call for me & the Mrs yet but I think it will be soon.  A girl in my club is going tomorrow at age 34 - not sure how that works!
    Snap, 10m here too - blowing a hooley so managed to find a reasonably sheltered route this morning to avoid the worst of it.  Even windier this afternoon!
  • Options
    Wardi - wind is following you around. Definitely very breezy. Nice consistent running as ever for you. A haircut would be great right now. Would shave seconds per mile off me at the moment.

TR - good news on the jab. thats big back to back mileage so not total surprise you had creaky legs. well battled through.

OO - sounds painful but good that you can still run. how to make sure it doesn't happen again? throw away all your furniture? 

sun came out Monday so I ditched the rest for a pleasant 3 miles. 5+5 double yday. Bit nervous about the HMP 5 mile run later, could be a little bit of a shock but paces will depend on the wind.
  • Options
    Well, we got one day of nice weather! Monday, ie the day I only do a 6 mile recovery plod. Beautiful it was. Cold, but clear skies and no wind. Just the moon and the stars. Then last night, when I was doing 8 x 1km... blowing a hoolie again! Still windy today by the sounds of it too, but just a 7 mile recovery plod on the schedule. Followed by weights and core, but those are indoors.

I've seen a lot of posts on social media of people getting their jabs who are definitely not over 65, or NHS workers. You don't like to ask though, do you? They must be clinically vulnerable, or classed as a carer. I'm soooo far down the list for one I'm not expecting a call-up for months. 42, office worker working from home, no health conditions...

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Wardi - agreed pretty blowy, but no rain or ice though.

Joe - dont stress about pace for that LT run just see it as an on the day hard effort. The "pace" can loom a bit in P and D if folks let it.

CC - well done on getting the reps done. Some areas are further on than over 65s, the end of the over 70s was around 10 days ago already.

Wasnt sure if my legs would have it but repeated last weeks 6m lumpy tempo, bettered last wks 40.52 with 40.18 but much less wind. 40.00 is the target as that's where i was regularly before Abo 19, with a 39.20 in the taper. Legs went a bit quicker than i thought they would given the last week or so.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    Nice effort on the tempo TR, close enough for a cigar I reckon.  Yes nice temps today, t-shirt & shorts for me.  B)
    Joe.. nice double yesterday, hope the 5m TT goes well and the wind relents for you.
    CC2.. oof those reps must have been tough in at least one direction.  20mph winds again here today though dry.
    7.5m + 4.1m today.  This morning I ran an out & back North-South along a reasonably sheltered route, first leg straight into the southerly wind.  The hedges/trees did offer a bit of respite but it was still hard work.  Enjoyed the wind assisted journey back though! 
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    Joe - Hope the 5m HMP run goes well, its a good sign to feel a bit of nerves pre-a TT run. Shows your in the 'zone'.
    TR - That's a cracking run given your daily training and good to take a chunk off your previous time and in a glide path to 39.XX. So will it be Dorney or Goodwood for you?   
    CC - Glad you enjoyed the Monday sun run.  Some good sessions banked there. Weather is picking up for the next week or so here, it will feel like 2 weeks in Barbados. 
    Wardi - Thats a good double, it sure was a bit of a blow out there again today.  Yes, it wont be too long, when we have the sun on our face, a cold beer in hand and a good Spanish marathon ticked off.  A mate is now trying to tempt me with Seville in November to add to Madrid in Sept and Malaga in Dec, not forgetting the OCC in August. 

My foot is calming down, now 6/10 painwise (it was a good 8/10 on Saturday) but OK with padding for a 10m very hilly run this afternoon.  Now for the bliss of putting my foot on a pack of frozen peas.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Wardi - ill take the wind and no rain or ice for sure.

OO - good news on the padded comeback, you'll soon defrost those peas......England athletics have provided a roadmap, racing can proceed from March 29th but there's a minimise travel point (whuch lifts at stage 3 in May), not sure how that gets enforced, no doubt more detail will come out......im the only one of the 3 musketeers left for Dorney, so if minimise travel allows me to do Goodwood only I'll go there,  might even enter both and watch the weather.
  • Options

CC2 - The weather folk yesterday were constantly mentioning how unseasonably warm it currently is. Got to enjoy no jacket and gloves. Definitely regional disparities in who is getting jabbed. I've seen that in various family members of similar ages.
    TR - Yeah agreed. You can only do what your body will allow which is definitely different in marathon training to what it was 3 or 4 months ago. Promising signs on 6 mile tempo. The sub 40 is coming.
    Wardi - nice double. Forgot to say the other day. If Laura Weightman's wiki is to be believed she's only a couple of inches shorter than me but around 2 stone lighter. I could probably give her a run for her money if I could get down to that weight!

OO - tentative positive signs there. Fingers crossed it plays ball.

7 miles yesterday including the 5 miler in 29:21. Great news on the return of racing. Assuming Edinburgh is still too much of a push end May then I think I could justify Worcester in mid-May as it's only a half an hour drive. It's a flat course but the field was pretty light in 2019 with winner coming in in 2:52. But a race is a race!

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Well done on the LT run, good feeling getting one of those bagged. Agreed, cant see Edinburgh happening in May, could be a reschedule.

Legs still toast so just the 10m home tonight.
  • Options
    Well Joe, she's a couple of inches shorter than me too and I've finished marathons lighter than that.  I wouldn't right now though, not by a long chalk!  

Out for 8 yesterday, but not today - my ankle is very sore.  I'm not convinced it's a running injury - running doesn't make it any worse, in fact it's worst first thing in the morning, but running clearly won't be helping it recover!
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    Joe - That's a super run, av. 5.52 ish and solo too.  I can see Worcester  attracting a few more runners than normal this year.  30 minutes from home too, sounds ideal.
    TR - A bit of a dilemma having the 2 races to choose from over the same weekend, so  much easier if 2 or 3 weeks apart then you could give both a crack. 
    CD - At 68 kg I thought I was light! What's caused the ankle injury/ ache?

I think TR's prognosis of Mortons Neuroma for my foot injury is right, as have the signs of a burning tingling feeling across my toes and the standing on a small peeble feeling.   It is improving so able to knock out a rather dull 5 miles today, running laps of a 600 m squelchy field next to my house. 

Forgot to add London in October to my list of hopefully upcoming races but looking for a mara in May/ June

• Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    CD.. Hope that ankle problem is short lived.  Do you remember landing heavily or awkwardly recently?

Joe.. many congrats, that's a tasty pace for solo TT.  Re. races, I guess they will be in high demand once a few get confirmed.

OO.. good that your foot is improving.  How many autumn marathons have you declared an interest in now?  :open_mouth:

TR.. I'm never 100% sure whether to have an easier day or plough on regardless when I have a tired run.  Decisions!

I get the impression that Laura Weightman has family or a training base around here.  She's from Northumberland but once showed up at York Parkrun with coach Steve Cram.  She still holds the female course record of 16.12.

9.5m today, thankfully less windy and the sun was out.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    CD - hope that ankle frees up.

OO - i gpt to the point where i couldnt run for long on Morton's but it burns out after a while. Wider shoes reqd maybe too. If your big toe is toe 1 and little one toe 5 then i found a piece of cotton wool between 3 and 4 when i ran helped a lot.
  • Options
    Wardi - A nice 9.5m and so much better in the sun.   A few booked!  From late Aug to the end of the year,  4 (OCC, Madrid, London, Malaga), Geneva likely to be moved from May and pondering Seville.  But I do love everything about an overseas marathon so if its 1 marathon a month from August, I'd be happy as Larry.  
    TR - Thanks for the tip.  I am now using a pair of New Balance Synacts which are pretty comfy.  Good to know the burn goes away its a very strange feeling. How long did you experience the condition for?   
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    OO - years, but it was minor at first would burn after a long drive or long run, but when i started doing Tri it really kicked in due to cycling shoes. I had to get wider bike shoes, day shoes etc and it was much more manageable, i only stopped using the cotton wool on long runs recently. Higher heeled shoes or higher drop run shoes makes it worse. You might not have it as it creeps up on you and yours is new?